OT…Have sports debate shows run their course?

78thealltimegreat

They exist because sports networks need to fill airtime. I think the first on TV was probably Cold Pizza with Skip and Woody Paige. That started back in 2003. I think that the model is Mike and the Mad Dog. In any case, with the rise of podcasts and shows like Pat McAfee's I can't believe that anyone watches those things anymore. ESPN was better when they filled the dead air with replays of Mountain West CBB games and Australian Rules Football.

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

There isn’t a right or wrong answer but it just seems like they’ve kinda run out of ways to argue with each other.

Skip Bayless new show is barely watchable anymore 

Skip Bayless has been unwatchable for years.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I don’t watch any ESPN unless they have a game I want to see. A bunch of guys all talking/yelling over each other at the same time has ZERO appeal to me. 

I find Dan Patrick to be the best option in terms of that type of entertainment. He didn’t do the same flawed formula, and I appreciate that. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I really enjoy Colin Cowherd but NOT his cohost Jason McIntyre, who is insufferable and says some really stupid things sometimes.

I also enjoy the new First Take now that Shannon Sharpe is on the show. It's the one show that ESPN actually got right now...

Other than that, the others are full of Jets cheerleaders and washed up talking heads.

I pretty much stopped watching anyone talk about sports unless it just happens to be on. Im sure there are some good guys out there.....but I cant deal with the regurgitated storyline talk and preschool analysis. 

I stick to twitter for some stats and some clips. Follow my fantasy football stuff and thats it. 

I work from home so occasionally I have GMFB or Get Up

GMFB is ok on mondays when they go through each game. The rest of the week is just filler stories that I rarely watch. 

I used to love Mike and Mike so I turned on get up. It was unwatchable. Greeny and Rex  Ryan talking about the Jets and other loud people talking. I had to turn it off 

The problem with these shows nowadays is that they don't even know what they are arguing about.  They take whatever is the latest hot-take on social media and ride it without actually getting any factual information.

Consider Tim Hasselbeck after the bills ran all over the raiders and then saying that the reason why Allen had such a good day was because they couldn't run the ball against them and he had to be "reckless" to move the football.  It makes absolutely no sense any which way you slice it.

Edited by The Wiz
  • Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I like PTI.  Tony and Wilbon are fun to listen to, and they’ve been around long enough to have educated and informed opinions.

Yep. It’s the only one I’ve ever watched (for 20+ years now). Both are respected journalists and provide some insight on timely sports stories* while admitting their biases. I tried the other fools at one point or another and couldn’t take more than a few minutes.

*i wish one of them knew at least something about hockey.

Agree with the majority of points, and kudos to the OP for the topic.

24 hour sports cycle, a flooded market of opinions, quick access to YouTube, cell phones, ridiculous salaries, and the movement away from actual journalism all are culprits of the horrific drop in quality.

It is why I am opposed to Thursday Night football. I think it actually waters down the overall product.

Like any organization, if you expand too quickly, push an agenda, don't innovate, or lose focus by trying to reach/market to everyone, quality drops.

Ask Disney, The Federal Government, the Roman Empire, California, or Hollywood writers for more details on how to take a nose dive. 😉

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.