Joe Burrow huge extension 5 years $275 million now highest paid QB

DJB

On 9/7/2023 at 8:35 PM, The Jokeman said:

With all the endorsements JA17 doing he might not command a high salary see Brady approach.

As well he did invest a nice chunk of his money into his family's farm to add the pistachios trees that will keep his family secure far as money in future.

Speaking of which saw the pizza commercial with Fitzpatrick as one of the nfl players.  Good for him racking g up more money.

Edited by AuntieEm

1 hour ago, Eastport bills said:

“Joe Cool” is a top 5 QB in the NFL.  He had to get paid.  His performance today against a revved up Browns defense was that of a tentative, injury compromised QB. How long this level of play lasts is anyone’s guess, but I would be a little concerned about his ability to stay healthy for the long haul.

LMAO. Are you related to Burrow or his agent? 

It’s OPENING DAY in the NFL. EVERYBODY should be “revved up.”

You may be right though about him still being injured, and that was all the more reason not to give him so much guaranteed money. As I’ve said many times, NFL owners may be filthy rich, but that doesn’t mean they’re geniuses, or even above average “smart.”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

18 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

LMAO. Are you related to Burrow or his agent? 

It’s OPENING DAY in the NFL. EVERYBODY should be “revved up.”

You may be right though about him still being injured, and that was all the more reason not to give him so much guaranteed money. As I’ve said many times, NFL owners may be filthy rich, but that doesn’t mean they’re geniuses, or even above average “smart.”

Did you watch the game? Cleveland’s defense was not only getting tremendous pressure on Burrows but smothering the best receiver group in the game. Now they usually have Cinci’s number, but they flustered Burrow and made him look ordinary.

• Agree 1

On 9/9/2023 at 11:56 AM, ColoradoBills said:

I don't think the "escrow" money is sewn into some mattress.  It's in some sort of an account making money.

I’m sure it’s not, but we’re not privy to all the requirements. Regardless, the options and flexibility that Pegula or Kraft has available are vastly different than other owners like Brown and Davis who rely on the team for income. That capital flexibility is one reason the Bills can restructure players whenever it’s beneficial. 

• Agree 1

50 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I’m sure he won’t look that bad later in he season against the Bills…

The Bengals haven't played well against the Browns for many years now. They don't stack up well against them. You know who they do stack up well against though?...🥺

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

The Bengals haven't played well against the Browns for many years now. They don't stack up well against them. You know who they do stack up well against though?...🥺

I believe it is 1-5 after today's game with the one win coming last season

• Like (+1) 1

Burrow looked like a QB who can't escape pressure and can't grip the ball with smallerish hands. Horrible way to start the contract extension. Burrow is not the best at escaping pressure so you have to invest a near fortune to build him a top 5 OL. That takes away from his weapons. 

1 hour ago, KDIGGZ said:

Fwiw.. I don’t think this is a fair assessment to make until we see McDermott’s Defense go up against them. 

If it’s more of the same, so be it.  

Burrow is less mobile, less arm talent, more accuracy, timing and cerebral processing - paired with elite receiving weapons.   That’s why he struggles against a physical pressure defense like the Browns, but carves up a predictable Tampa 2. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Bet they also featured a rushing stat line filled with tuddies and stiff arming through linebackers which we will never see Burrows do lol 😂 

It’s amazing to me Burrow is considered by many in the NSM to be the 2nd best QB. It’s foolish to put him there. The accuracy 67% career is the only thing keeping him in this convo. Take away Higgins in 2024 and Burrow starts a fast descent. I think their TE1 Irv Smith is such a step down from Hayden Hearst. If Baltimore could stay healthy they’d be a real threat, but it looks like this Cleveland team might be a real contender with that D. Losing Conklin for the year hurts, but they were smart to draft that beast Jones from Ohio State. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

It’s amazing to me Burrow is considered by many in the NSM to be the 2nd best QB. It’s foolish to put him there. The accuracy 67% career is the only thing keeping him in this convo. Take away Higgins in 2024 and Burrow starts a fast descent. I think their TE1 Irv Smith is such a step down from Hayden Hearst. If Baltimore could stay healthy they’d be a real threat, but it looks like this Cleveland team might be a real contender with that D. Losing Conklin for the year hurts, but they were smart to draft that beast Jones from Ohio State. 

You could say the same for almost every QB.  If Diggs is not on our roster, then Allen will struggle like he did the season before the arrival of Diggs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

31 minutes ago, ganesh said:

You could say the same for almost every QB.  If Diggs is not on our roster, then Allen will struggle like he did the season before the arrival of Diggs.

Allen was developed in his 2nd year. He didn’t throw over a 1,000 balls in college. His learning curve required 2 ramp seasons and ideally he should have sat pine in 2018. 

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Yep!

26 minutes ago, chongli said:

On the Dolphins forum, some are claiming today's performance got Tua paid, and his contract will top Burrow's at the end of this year. We'll see.

The way the league works now, the "highest paid QB" is whoever is due up next for a K extension.  That's it.

Doesn't mean anything in terms of who is best.  Just means player salaries go up all the time...at least at the important positions.

This has been going on for at least 5 years now.  

It's ultimately all paid for with YOUR money, assuming you pay money to the NFL one way or the other.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, chongli said:

On the Dolphins forum, some are claiming today's performance got Tua paid, and his contract will top Burrow's at the end of this year. We'll see.

Hope they do. He’s not elite. If you watched todays game, his WRS were absolutely wide open, I could’ve hit them. He’s an above average Qb that’s it. Better backfields will not allow that kind of game again. 

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, chongli said:

Didn’t Tua start similarly last season opening on the road at Ravens with ridiculous numbers and a big late game win.

It’s one game, we’ll see

Edited by julian
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

I disagree.  It's his consistency (going back to college) that's pretty remarkable with him in that it's an eye opener when he has a bad game like today.  His worst game since last year's opener and his other bad game last year was against the Browns without Chase.  He won the other three without Chase.  He's thrown for at least over 4500 yards and 35 TD's the last two seasons.  There's enough data with him that shows this game was an anomaly imo.

As for the Browns, they own the Bengals and that's about it.  Watson still doesn't look close to the player he once was and I don't think they're offense is built to win from behind.  I think their offense get manhandled next week against a ticked off Steelers team.  

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, AlfaBill said:

Hope they do. He’s not elite. If you watched todays game, his WRS were absolutely wide open, I could’ve hit them. He’s an above average Qb that’s it. Better backfields will not allow that kind of game again. 

Geezus, give the guy some credit. Yes, he’s not elite, but he had probably his best game ever yesterday, and a lot of his throws were absolutely perfect. Compare him to Daniel Jones last night, whose throws were almost always behind the receiver, or just off target.  

17 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

Geezus, give the guy some credit. Yes, he’s not elite, but he had probably his best game ever yesterday, and a lot of his throws were absolutely perfect. Compare him to Daniel Jones last night, whose throws were almost always behind the receiver, or just off target.  

noodle arm, should have had three more picks

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.