Joe Burrow huge extension 5 years $275 million now highest paid QB

DJB

• DJB changed the title to Joe Burrow huge extension 5 years $275 million now highest paid QB
15 minutes ago, DJB said:

Allen’s deal continues to look better and better

Not disparaging Allen or Beane, but Allen basically hasn’t started getting paid on that deal. He’s only counting $18M this year. He’ll be bouncing in the 40’s and even low 50’s going forward. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

you believe he's going to until 2028 to ask for more money??  come on,lol

Maybe in 2024, for sure by 2025 is my guess.  Figure Allen is making less in total than Burrow in a one year longer contract term.  It won't stay that way

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

Not disparaging Allen or Beane, but Allen basically hasn’t started getting paid on that deal. He’s only counting $18M this year. He’ll be bouncing in the 40’s and even low 50’s going forward. 

josh took home just about 50m last year. They haven’t eaten the full hit yet but he’s getting a ton of cash already 

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

josh took home just about 50m last year. They haven’t eaten the full hit yet but he’s getting a ton of cash already 

Oh for sure. I was just taking cap numbers. I don’t care how much Pegula has paid him. Just his cap number.

6 minutes ago, WEATHER DOT COM said:

Because they agree to pay these guys their market value?

I will LMAO when one (or more) of these guys who have these insanely high cost contracts get hurt, and the owner(s) have to pay them their "guaranteed" money for sitting at home playing Xbox. The high amounts of the contracts are insane, but giving out so much guaranteed money takes the insanity to a new level. 😉

• Agree 1

$219 million guaranteed. The most guaranteed money Mike Brown had ever given out prior to this was $31 million for Orlando Brown Jr. in March. Before that was $30M to Carson Palmer way back in 2005. The Bengals have been extremely stingy on guarantees.

Mike Brown obviously had no choice in this case. But that’s like $250 million in guarantees just this year. They also have Chase coming due for a new deal. They're going to have to give him some hefty guaranteed money too.

I believe that guaranteed money has to be put in the bank up front.

I know Bengals have been spending more in recent years, but I’m still curious to see if this deal has any effect on the way they operate, at least in the next few years. Is Mike Brown going to be willing to keep spending like he has?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

I will LMAO when one (or more) of these guys who have these insanely high cost contracts get hurt, and the owner(s) have to pay them their "guaranteed" money for sitting at home playing Xbox. The high amounts of the contracts are insane, but giving out so much guaranteed money takes the insanity to a new level. 😉

I actually don’t mind the contract value. It’s billionaires paying millionaires a fraction of the product they produce. I’d be for the salary cap taking a larger percentage. 

I do wish the QB market was less of a percentage though. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

Are people really worried about Josh after this?  That dude wants a “fair” deal but he is not about squeezing every dime he can out of his football career.  He’s a smart guy with a good family.  He knows he is set for life and he wants to win championships.  The only pressure on Josh will be from agents and players who don’t want him to accept less than market value.

1 hour ago, Bob Jones said:

NFL owners are certifiably insane.

Just to put this deal into perspective - The total amount of Burrow’s 5 year deal is less than an NFL owner makes in a single season. The Bengals owner spent $89 million in 2022 in operating expenses and made $462 million. So just shy of $375 million in profit. In a single year.

In the NFL there is a salary cap ceiling and floor (every team has to spend to at least 89% of the cap in a 4yr period). Every team decides how to spend that allotted money. Even teams without a big QB contract on their books are spending a similar amount of total money on players.

4 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Just to put this deal into perspective - The total amount of Burrow’s 5 year deal is less than an NFL owner makes in a single season. The Bengals owner spent $89 million in 2022 in operating expenses and made $462 million. So just shy of $375 million in profit. In a single year.

Did the Bengals owner pay any taxes on that $375million? I’m thinking YES, so he’s not netting as much as you seem to think.

Edited by Bob Jones
  • Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

Did the Bengals owner pay any taxes on that $375million? I’m thinking YES, so he’s not netting as much as you seem to think.

Ok, say he didn’t use any tricks or deductions and paid the full 24% federal tax rate + 4% Ohio tax rate (which seems unlikely since multi millionaires often only pay a small fraction of that) - he’d still have made about $270 million last year from the bengals. So, still as much as Burrow will make over the next 5 years. And NFL profits continue to rise almost every year. So Brown will probably make more than 5x what Burrow will over that 5 year span.

So the owner of one of the least profitable NFL teams (2nd least iirc) is making 5x more than the highest paid NFL player.

All of this is kind of missing the point of my post though. There is a salary cap ceiling/floor and every team spends a similar amount of total money on players every season. The cap is tied to NFL profits and each team has to spend a percentage of the cap every season. So if they give one massive deal and 52 tiny ones, they’re still spending a similar amount of money to other teams. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.