I noticed that there’s some national pundits that aren’t even picking the Bills for the play-offs.

Tipster19

When I first started seeing that some were questioning how good the Bills are and how they may fare in the play-offs my thoughts were to scoff and be defensive. Now I see a small number of them are even predicting that the Bills aren’t even going to make the play-offs. The Jets, and Miami is closely behind them, are gathering momentum as the hot flavor of the month. This started me to wonder if there could be any truth to any of this. Although the Jets are vastly improved and have given us tough games throughout the years there’s only 2 of their players that concern me and that is Quinnen Williams and CJ Mosley. 

I started to buy in that there is could be something to this and it caused great doubt and concern in my thoughts of the Bills but then I remembered this. I saw an an interview with Josh Allen and he said that throughout whatever controversy/controversies (Diggs I think mostly?) that the kind of men that they have in the locker room he has confidence in them. This made a lot of sense when I thought about it. Too many people are talking about the Jets, including themselves. Who the freak are the Jets??!!! What I like the most  is I don’t hear the Bills saying crap! I’m trying my hardest to keep this PG! Come Monday let’s see who really is the tough guys! 

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not either. I was really torn between my heart and gut feeling but can't go against natural instinct anymore and hold on to delusions that this team is a SB contender anymore. The sad thing is that in hindsight they never were and there's a reason why they have been bounced out of the divisional round 2 years in a row by superior teams.

Best case is if this team does crash and burn this year Terry Pegula gets real angry and impulsive and dumps both McD/Beane for a wartime regime especially with the bad taste in his mouth for millions of out of pocket overrages for the new stadium.

• Vomit 5
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Haha (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I'm not either. I was really torn between my heart and gut feeling but can't go against natural instinct anymore and hold on to delusions that this team is a SB contender anymore. The sad thing is that in hindsight they never were and there's a reason why they have been bounced out of the divisional round 2 years in a row by superior teams.

Best case is if this team does crash and burn this year Terry Pegula gets real angry and impulsive and dumps both McD/Beane for a wartime regime especially with the bad taste in his mouth for millions of out of pocket overrages for the new stadium.

Give me Deion or give me…

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, GustheDog33 said:

Give me Deion or give me…

hey i have a better idea how about we find some up and comer defensive secondary coach with a whole portfolio of brilliant ideas?  the league isn't ready for the 'play 15 yards off the nearest WR' strategy!

• Haha (+1) 1

Literally none of the "experts" is picking the Bills to win the AFC East and most of the ones I've heard are picking the Bills to miss the playoffs entirely.  Usually, the explanation is that the the Phins and Jets got better, but the Bills did not, which of course is laughable. 

I love it.  I think this is exactly where we want to be entering the season--underrated, with a chip on our shoulder.  As I've pointed out in other threads though, despite the experts' negativity, Vegas still likes the Bills to win the AFCE, and to beat the Jests Monday night...so there's that. 

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

predictable response.

• Like (+1) 1

The teams a contender… but the margin for error in the AFC, and particularly AFCE is razor thin. 

you catch an ill tuned injury or a bad bounce or two and a Super Bowl contender is in a heck of a fight for a wild card spot. 

Figure out of KC/SD, cincy/Baltimore, buff/NYJ/Mia…. Someone good isn’t going to make it before you even get into the possibility of the broncos stepping up or Steelers/Tennessee/Cleveland possibly sneaking a wild card. 

I don’t expect all of those to be ahead but if you don’t win the division the wildcard could be a real challenge. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, NoSaint said:

The teams a contender… but the margin for error in the AFC, and particularly AFCE is razor thin. 

you catch an ill tuned injury or a bad bounce or two and a Super Bowl contender is in a heck of a fight for a wild card spot. 

Figure out of KC/SD, cincy/Baltimore, buff/NYJ/Mia…. Someone good isn’t going to make it before you even get into the possibility of the broncos stepping up or Steelers/Tennessee/Cleveland possibly sneaking a wild card. 

I don’t expect all of those to be ahead but if you don’t win the division the wildcard could be a real challenge. 

Well said!! 

I was coming here to say something similar. The Bills missing the playoffs isn’t asinine this year as it has been in past years. They have an extremely difficult schedule and 2 potential contenders in their division. I still think that this Bills win the division but it isn’t the lock that it has been over the last couple of years.

• Agree 1

I’m fully confident in our teams abilities but It’s a beast of a schedule.  The end of the season can’t get much tougher.  If I had to predict the exact record and my life depended on it, I’d say 10-7 with a WC berth.  

But fully capable of winning the Super Bowl.  What better way for us to win the SB, winning 4 games in a row on the road to take the Lombardi.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Tipster19 said:

When I first started seeing that some were questioning how good the Bills are and how they may fare in the play-offs my thoughts were to scoff and be defensive. Now I see a small number of them are even predicting that the Bills aren’t even going to make the play-offs. The Jets, and Miami is closely behind them, are gathering momentum as the hot flavor of the month. This started me to wonder if there could be any truth to any of this. Although the Jets are vastly improved and have given us tough games throughout the years there’s only 2 of their players that concern me and that is Quinnen Williams and CJ Mosley. 

I started to buy in that there is could be something to this and it caused great doubt and concern in my thoughts of the Bills but then I remembered this. I saw an an interview with Josh Allen and he said that throughout whatever controversy/controversies (Diggs I think mostly?) that the kind of men that they have in the locker room he has confidence in them. This made a lot of sense when I thought about it. Too many people are talking about the Jets, including themselves. Who the freak are the Jets??!!! What I like the most  is I don’t hear the Bills saying crap! I’m trying my hardest to keep this PG! Come Monday let’s see who really is the tough guys! 

Go Bills!

You're gonna love PFT's predictions.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/pfts-2023-nfl-season-predictions

Look, if it looks like a duck... It's not just the random prognosticator, it's the prevailing view. 

IMO the Jets and Dolphins are better on paper than the Bills.

Good thing the Bills are best when they have their heads in the game and backs against the wall and have more experience as a team than the other two. 

But is that enough?

As for responding to the press: When will Bill's Fans get over their inferiority complex. 

And for what purpose. If they do 'make a statement' and are as good it's what they predicted, it's what they said and will be ignored, if not it will be quoted ad nauseum and they look like fools. No win.

Bills - Homer Simpson.jpg

54 minutes ago, Cruiserplayer said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/pfts-2023-nfl-season-predictions
3 out of 5 predict no playoffs for the Bills. Not one predicts a playoff victory.

They’re tired of Buffalo after discussing them at length for several years. They also need clicks. May as well throw a few bones to hungry Jets and Dolphins fans who haven’t had a ton to cheer about in the last decade or so. To many the Bills are old hat. Nothing to see here. 

• Agree 1

Yes, the AFC is crowded with at least 10 realistic playoff contenders and, more particularly, the AFCE may be the most competitive division in the conference. So unless the Bills win the division, which is no guarantee, then they could conceivably miss the playoffs even with a winning record.

It is VERY popular now to predict the Bills will either take a step back, or miss the playoffs entirely.

The stuff I've heard always comes around to the same idea - they thought the Bills were SB faves the last year or 2, and were so let down because the Bills didn't get there that they just can't do it again.

No logic to that. It's just a feels kind of thing.  But I prefer the lack of hype.

Its funny how differently co-workers at different outlets can influence one another. You have whole panels picking against them and then i just got done reading "the ringers" predictions and 6 or their 7 writers pick them to win the east while all of them pick them to make the playoffs....

That being said I've never seen the masses jump ship on a team like most have on the bills. A team thats averaged 12 wins a season over the last 3 years with a consensus top 5 qb and all of a sudden they're just..... DONE.... its truly odd.

I honestly think people are way more comfortable not having to praise the bills after 17 years of obscurity and so it was super easy to jump ship once they underachieved last year.

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

They’re tired of Buffalo after discussing them at length for several years. They also need clicks. May as well throw a few bones to hungry Jets and Dolphins fans who haven’t had a ton to cheer about in the last decade or so. To many the Bills are old hat. Nothing to see here. 

I really think the way we played Vs Cinci turned everyone off.  It’s the last thing they remember.  

What was the last thing they remembered the previous season? Josh Allen playing the best QB anyone’s ever seen…… and everyone had us pegged as SB champs.  Recency bias in full effect.  We’re better on paper but some of the key Players are another year older.  

According to Vegas, we’re the 3rd best team in the league.  I’ll take their word over talking heads looking for clicks.  Follow the money.  There, you will find the answer.  

• Like (+1) 5

To me its clear that we are the favorite to win the division. 

As long as the game plan is right and mistakes are few and far in between we should win our division games.

The concern is how much less room for error there is now because of the talent the Fins and Jets have on their team.

The AFC is no joke, this team cannot afford to stumble out of the gate or it’s going to be a tough mountain to climb back into contention.  There’s a lot of reason for concern about the D and a lot of unanswered questions on the offensive side as well.  The one big reason I believe the team will make the playoffs is #17 still plays here.

16 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

The AFC is no joke, this team cannot afford to stumble out of the gate or it’s going to be a tough mountain to climb back into contention.  There’s a lot of reason for concern about the D and a lot of unanswered questions on the offensive side as well.  The one big reason I believe the team will make the playoffs is #17 still plays here.

Well said. It really comes down to how soon we can get Tre off the field. He is lost and wimpy. His injury just makes it 100% worse.

With benford and Elam/Dane combo we will be fine! Tre will get cooked... again.

• Eyeroll 1

3 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

That’s your “best case” scenario!?

I get it. The AFC is stacked. AFC East is probably the toughest division in the NFL right now. The Bills looked ineffectual in their last appearance. And the masses love hot takes. Just like it was popular for people to pick the Bills as the SuperBowl champs last off-season, it is now en vogue to mark the Bills down as missing the playoffs this year.

I won't let this bother me, and I believe the Bills will, again, be in the hunt in January. Based on nothing but my gut, I do have a feeling that the Bills start off this season at more of a jog, then start heating up in November for a great Sprint down the stretch.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

Go Bills!

who really is the though guys?

why did this make me wonder when spags is making an appearance 

4 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Long time lurker, recent poster here.

Are you the one who was outed as a Miami fan? https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/240015-tua-impressing-in-miami/

• Thank you (+1) 2

I know our schedule and conference is tough, but when is the last time a top 3 QB missed the playoffs outright? I genuinely believe you could place Allen on any team in the NFL and they would be a wildcard team at worst. Plus we've been there done that. It's like the Chiefs/Eagles Super Bowl, on paper the Eagles were the superior team but at the end of the day having the experience of being in those critical moments trumps a lot of other advantages. For right now Allen and the Bills should be an assumed playoff team until proven otherwise.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

Go Bills!

Really---someone should start a thread about this...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.