Bills linked to Jason Peters

DJB

42 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

No.

He didn't say anything.

He and his agent let the Bills negotiate thru the media.

They eventually traded him and he got paid.

The Bills front office was a complete dumpster fire then.   They signed him to an extension as a RT........knowing but not articulating that they intended to let their LT walk in UFA and move him there.........and then after moving him they went out and paid a free agent guard and RT more than him.    They weren't acting in good faith.........and when it comes to a rare, All-Pro type talent at a premium position you have to treat that player a lot differently.     See how the Bills treated guys like Allen and Diggs when they had multiple years remaining on their contracts, for example. 

I remember him spouting off once he got to Philadelphia

The people putting this out aren't a viable source. They throw crap at the walls all the time hoping something will stick.

That said, with the injury to Doyle and Shell's retirement, I'd hope they'd look at someone. Peters is a Mummy at this point though. At 41 years old, he's the oldest active player in the entire NFL.

Van Demark looked good late in the game. Quite possible they feel his two years in the system is a better option than anyone out there at this point. Everyone left is very old and/or without a team for a reason.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I remember him spouting off once he got to Philadelphia

That is incorrect.   He's always been a man of very few words to the media.

But this article might help you understand better why you think you remember that.

https://www.healthline.com/health/mental-health/how-does-emotion-impact-memory

• Haha (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

The people putting this out aren't a viable source. They throw crap at the walls all the time hoping something will stick.

That said, with the injury to Doyle and Shell's retirement, I'd hope they'd look at someone. Peters is a Mummy at this point though. 

Van Demark looked good late in the game. Quite possible they feel his two years in the system is a better option than anyone out there at this point. Everyone left is very old and/or without a team for a reason.

I have some hope for Van Denmark. Is Gouraige anything more than a practice squad candidate?

Peters is an old man now. Bills don't want him.  And, he was not reputable in his contract situation w the Bills the last time around.  I would have made him sit out the two years, he had a contract and choose not to fulfill it.  Hard Pass on him, he is a lowlife.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

8 hours ago, aristocrat said:

Dude has made 120 mil what is he doing trying to play still?

Some human beings excel in life. Some just exist until they die. 

7 hours ago, Limeaid said:

And Eugene Parker, agent who told him to sit out with three years on contract which Parker had renegotiated not to long ago.

Fortunately he is working for the Devil now and not involved in NFL.

Current address if you wish to visit:

8326 Covington Road
Fort Wayne, Indiana 46804 

Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord,
and let perpetual light shine upon them.
May they rest in peace. Amen.

6 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Ruben Brown also made 9 x Pro Bowls (and 4 x All Pro as well), but many Bills fans still don't think he was that good!

Do we think Jason Peters was worthy of all 9 Pro Bowls, or did he coast off his name & previous achievements for the latter ones? 😉

You see the contract Peters got after the trade? Money talks. 

• Vomit 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

I have some hope for Van Denmark. Is Gouraige anything more than a practice squad candidate?

No, he's not. If he were more than that, he'd have been up when Van Demark was. Shows that he was no more than 6th OT on the depth chart before Doyle's injury. Probably the 7th before Shell retired. And historically, we only keep 4.

He's the very definition of a Practice Squad developmental player. And with the depth we have right now, I don't doubt he'll definitely make it there this season.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

Peters is an old man now. Bills don't want him.  And, he was not reputable in his contract situation w the Bills the last time around.  I would have made him sit out the two years, he had a contract and choose not to fulfill it.  Hard Pass on him, he is a lowlife.

He had a contract to play RT once he showed at LT he was underpaid.  I hated him forcing his way out of Buffali but I couldn't fault him who knows how much quicker the drought would have ended if he remained a Bill had they reworked his deal fairly.  Easily could have made difference in making playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2

18 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Some human beings excel in life. Some just exist until they die. 

Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord,
and let perpetual light shine upon them.
May they rest in peace. Amen.

You see the contract Peters got after the trade? Money talks. 

Yes, RIP Eugene Parker. His senior year at Purdue was my freshman year, good dude,

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

14 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

There was an article written 22 hours ago speculating if the Bills should be interested in Peters, who recently said he wants to play in 2023.

That is likely the “linked” connection. Rumor based off guessing, we must still be in April. 

Yeah, most likely.

Sigh.

8 hours ago, Doc said:

Cash-to-cap had nothing to do with it.  He wanted a new deal when he had 2 years left on the deal they gave him a year earlier than they needed to.  They were set to give him the deal he wanted (between $8-10M/year) after the 2008 season but he had already decided to leave and ended up making $10M/year in 2009 anyway.

I was a huge Jason Peters fan.  I loved the story of how he went from UDFA to All-Pro OL with the Bills.  Then he pulled that stunt.  Again I saw his team win a SB without him playing, being replaced by a JAG (Vaitai).  His presence wouldn't have made a difference in winning and losing given the teams they fielded.

No, this just didn't happen that way.

The reason they gave him an extension a year early is that he was playing RT as one of the absolute best in the league. It was a damn good deal for the Bills and for Peters ... if he was playing RT. They switched him to LT. At LT it was a huge bargain for the Bills and Peters very rightfully felt undervalued very early in his contract.

Now he was playing LT at an elite level, making him instantly underpaid. Most guys at least get a couple years really liking their deals because they're making good money for their position. Peters got much less.

And he didn't say he wanted $8 - $10M. It got in the papers at the time (almost certainly leaked by the Bills) that he asked for $13M. But then as the Bills moved up from their offers, Parker brought his offer down. The offers were bracketed towards $10M. It's where he was always going. He was worth every penny of it and the Bills should have given it to him.

There's zero evidence that they were going to give him the $10M he wanted. The Bills have said they wanted to sign him later but have never said they were going to give him that $10M. They most likely never wanted to. I've always figured that Russ Brandon was so proud of the move he made signing him to such an undervalued contract that he thought he was a master of contract hardball, a business genius. And that he'd teach these players who was in control. 

The Bills were the ones who pulled the stunt, giving him an RT contract and then expecting him to be happy on it as an elite LT.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I’d be shocked. Beanes stubborn. He’s going to ride the Brown wave until he inevitably has a truly terrible game where they have no choice to bench him.

Scott, a gentle hint:

... your own guesses are not inevitable. They are guesses. 

The fact that you use the word "inevitably" about a pure guess points to a serious flaw in your understanding about your ability, or rather inability, to know the future. You're guessing. That outcome you're calling inevitable is instead, in reality, possible. It's one of many possible outcomes.

My guess is that it's the fourth most likely outcome, after he comes out by injury and he plays all year without injury, and they bring in an experienced journeyman. But that is a guess of mine. The difference being I am not silly enough to call my guess inevitable.

Don't bother thanking me. Glad to do it.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I’d be shocked. Beanes stubborn. He’s going to ride the Brown wave until he inevitably has a truly terrible game where they have no choice to bench him.

With what we've seen of Brown so far it'd be foolish not to at least look into Peters in the event Brown's decline continues. He's gonna get Josh killed or put the offense in 3rd and 20 all game long. Peters is still very solid in pass pro and doesn't get moved as easily as Brown, even at his age.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

21 hours ago, DJB said:

Take with a grain of salt perhaps but it’s something to talk about 

I won't bother to read the entire thread, so I'm sure others have said this: BUT AFTER LAST NIGHT, they better have him in Buffalo today! Yes, it is time to panic about our o-line.

• Like (+1) 2

Sign Peters and start him at RT immediately. Brown will get another opportunity to start.

Accountability is important. He’s just not consistent enough.

6 minutes ago, CSBill said:

I won't bother to read the entire thread, so I'm sure others have said this: BUT AFTER LAST NIGHT, they better have him in Buffalo today! Yes, it is time to panic about our o-line.

Panic no, but there needs to be accountability. There is no panic. They can scheme up things to help protection. The offense has been operating just fine with Brown. But his inconsistency remains. If Peters can come in and start and push Brown to 3rd OT that’s a good thing.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Sign Peters and start him at RT immediately. Brown will get another opportunity to start.

Accountability is important. He’s just not consistent enough.

Panic no, but there needs to be accountability. There is no panic. They can scheme up things to help protection. The offense has been operating just fine with Brown. But his inconsistency remains. If Peters can come in and start and push Brown to 3rd OT that’s a good thing.

Okay, I'll go with "accountability" over panic. Either way, it's time for some serious reconsideration at RT. And probably left as well, but that is asking too much.

And while we are holding people's feet to the fire, what about our guru o-line coach?

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, CSBill said:

Okay, I'll go with "accountability" over panic. Either way, it's time for some serious reconsideration at RT. And probably left as well, but that is asking too much.

And while we are holding people's feet to the fire, what about our guru o-line coach?

Dawkins isn’t a problem. He’s not a top LT but he’s far from a problem. I do think as he’s getting older he has to keep his weight lower than it is.

The time to fix RT was a long time ago. Peters can probably still be an upgrade but it’s the end of August, RT upgrades likely aren’t coming.

I mentioned Kromer a few times this offseason. The OL as a unit wasn’t good. Some of it is on him.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

He's had plenty of truly terrible games and they still say they believe in him. Idr who the grade came from but there was a chart ranking every OL and brown was graded as an 8 out of 100. 

17 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Dawkins isn’t a problem. He’s not a top LT but he’s far from a problem. I do think as he’s getting older he has to keep his weight lower than it is.

The time to fix RT was a long time ago. Peters can probably still be an upgrade but it’s the end of August, RT upgrades likely aren’t coming.

I mentioned Kromer a few times this offseason. The OL as a unit wasn’t good. Some of it is on him.

He's part of the problem. He'd rather party with Benny the butcher than work on his craft.

• Disagree 1

36 minutes ago, BigPappaPump said:

Seriously, what would it hurt to bring him in for a look? Don’t particularly care how old he is. If Brown can’t keep a 40 something year old from seeing the field, I think you have your answer about Brown. 

What are you going to see in a workout? Our guys look fine in practice.

10 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

No, this just didn't happen that way.

The reason they gave him an extension a year early is that he was playing RT as one of the absolute best in the league. It was a damn good deal for the Bills and for Peters ... if he was playing RT. They switched him to LT. At LT it was a huge bargain for the Bills and Peters very rightfully felt undervalued very early in his contract.

Now he was playing LT at an elite level, making him instantly underpaid. Most guys at least get a couple years really liking their deals because they're making good money for their position. Peters got much less.

And he didn't say he wanted $8 - $10M. It got in the papers at the time (almost certainly leaked by the Bills) that he asked for $13M. But then as the Bills moved up from their offers, Parker brought his offer down. The offers were bracketed towards $10M. It's where he was always going. He was worth every penny of it and the Bills should have given it to him.

There's zero evidence that they were going to give him the $10M he wanted. The Bills have said they wanted to sign him later but have never said they were going to give him that $10M. They most likely never wanted to. I've always figured that Russ Brandon was so proud of the move he made signing him to such an undervalued contract that he thought he was a master of contract hardball, a business genius. And that he'd teach these players who was in control. 

The Bills were the ones who pulled the stunt, giving him an RT contract and then expecting him to be happy on it as an elite LT.

Yeah, this just did happen this way. 

Again they didn't have to give him the extension a year early and could have had him play under the $425K tender in his 3rd season and then tendered him again the following year.  But they did.  And he didn't even make the Pro Bowl at RT in 2005.

As for what he demanded, I don't recall $13M, but I do recall him wanting to be paid more than Derrick Dockery, who was making $7M/year.  Speaking of which, yes, Brandon must have thought himself such a great negotiator, giving Dockery that deal, when he'd never even made a Pro Bowl. 

As for the Bills not willing to give him $10M/year, there is zero evidence for that.  That was the market rate and Ralph had made other great Bills players the highest-paid in the past.  He just got pissed that he didn't get it when he demanded it and made the decision to leave, ultimately ending up making $10M/year in 2009, which is when the Bills wanted him to wait until anyway.

Edited by Doc
  • Disagree 1

On 8/19/2023 at 8:24 AM, HOUSE said:

When the final 53 is announced there will probably be 30 tackles available. One of them is coming to Buffalo,  book it

agree.

this is why Peters hasnt been signed yet.  In addition to being so old they stop counting at that age.

All 32 teams are gonna wait for musical chairs to begin at roster cut-down day.   And a team like the Bills should be on every tackle's (and his agent's) short list.   Compete for a Ring.   And a legit chance to make the team.  And a legit chance to hit incentives.

On 8/19/2023 at 12:03 PM, Dablitzkrieg said:

I feel like the man hates buffalo

1 hour ago, maddenboy said:

agree.

this is why Peters hasnt been signed yet.  In addition to being so old they stop counting at that age.

All 32 teams are gonna wait for musical chairs to begin at roster cut-down day.   And a team like the Bills should be on every tackle's (and his agent's) short list.   Compete for a Ring.   And a legit chance to make the team.  And a legit chance to hit incentives.

You don't actually think someone is going to cut a decent reserve offensive tackle,  do you?

Not happening.

• Agree 1

I would welcome him back despite the problems last time.   Much of the previous holdout issues IMO was mainly due Ralph Wilson trying to low ball him.    

Peters despite his could probably start right away at either position and be an upgrade.    Dawkins is out of shape and Spencer Brown is not getting it done.     If this wasn't urgent before last night, it should be now.

Edited by dgrochester55

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.