Bills linked to Jason Peters

DJB

On 7/29/2023 at 8:56 AM, Mr. WEO said:

this was a hot take a week ago

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

A 41 year old tackle is not going to play one complete season, let alone several.

He wouldn't need too.  Read he is very good at mentoring teammates so perhaps he is wanting to transition int9o coaching.  Maybe he signs as insurance if either ot starter has a rough game against a particular opponent you let Jsson Peter's take that opponent to the shed so to speak.  And maybe he can help that starter with techniques to handle that player going forward.

Edited by AuntieEm

5 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

He wouldn't need too.  Read he is very good at mentoring teammates so perhaps he is wanting to transition int9o coaching.  Maybe he signs as insurance if either ot starter has a rough game against a particular opponent you let Jsson Peter's take that opponent to the shed so to speak.  And maybe he can help that starter with techniques to handle that player going forward.

I could see that.

20 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Dude has made 120 mil what is he doing trying to play still?

Perhaps, and I have no info one way or the other,  he truly loves playing the game even if his position deals a pounding. 

As you point out he has earned alot of money and after 20 yrs he will draw a significant pension.  Plus with his resume he could open a oline camp and rake in money just coaching up current rostered  players that could pay him decent coin.  I could see him get a coaching gig for decent money if he was needy in that depth.  So I tend to think he just loves the game and the beating.

Edited by AuntieEm

8 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

Peters's days of taking young players too the shed are well passed. 

Why pay all that money for another coach?

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Then why pay 250 mil plus for a Franchise QB if you plan to Nicole and dime keeping him healthy and earning his contract.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, AuntieEm said:

Then why pay 250 mil plus for a Franchise QB if you plan to Nicole and dime keeping him healthy and earning his contract.

That's a different question than "should the Bills pay a 42 year old Tackle over a million to coach other O-line vets for a year"....

Jason Peters would not factor into Josh Allen's health.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I don't think he can hold up physically to play 90% of snaps anymore.   Yeah he was still doing that in 2021 but, I mean, dude is 41 now.   I think you'd just view him as a way better replacement for Quessenberry at this point.   Maybe the biggest thing he could do is help Dion Dawkins learn what it takes to extend his career.   Dion at 28 was blocking at a level like Peters at 38.   That shouldn't be.   Dion should be in his prime now and he's trailing off significantly.  Maybe he could help wake Dion up and help extend his career.   Like I said, Bills fans think he's a malcontent because the Bills tried to move him to LT and pay him RT money and he wanted fair market compensation for the bump in responsibility...........but he's been renowned as a GREAT teammate and leader for the vast majority of his career.

Thanks. I think he will be a good addition as a player and insurance. Especially during the playoffs. He will alleviate the remaining concerns on the OL. 

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

That's a different question than "should the Bills pay a 42 year old Tackle over a million to coach other O-line vets for a year"....

Jason Peters would not factor into Josh Allen's health.

I would agree if he had retired for a season and then decided to come back. I see him more as insurance for Brown. If Brown can't play due to health issues or does not improve, the right side would be very weak. I don't want to see Knox again serve as a OL blocker only

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Thanks. I think he will be a good addition as a player and insurance. Especially during the playoffs. He will alleviate the remaining concerns on the OL. 

I would agree if he had retired for a season and then decided to come back. I see him more as insurance for Brown. If Brown can't play due to health issues or does not improve, the right side would be very weak. I don't want to see Knox again serve as a OL blocker only

Got Kincaid now too....

3 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Unfortunately, they'll be forever linked to Jason Peters

And Eugene Parker, agent who told him to sit out with three years on contract which Parker had renegotiated not to long ago.

Fortunately he is working for the Devil now and not involved in NFL.

Current address if you wish to visit:

8326 Covington Road
Fort Wayne, Indiana 46804 

Edited by Limeaid
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

For reference........... @Mr. WEO has long been a Jason Peters hater..........scoffing ignorantly at the notion that he would be inducted into the HOF in recent years when it's basically a foregone conclusion for most of a decade now.

His 70 PFF grade last season.......at age 40.........would have ranked the second highest of any Bills OL.......I mean Saffold and Brown were in the low 40's and low 50's for reference.  

And 39 year old Jason Peters' 77.5 grade would have tied Dion Dawkins for the highest grade on the Bills in 2021.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I know, I know........you were one of the many people who agreed with Jeffery Littman's cash-to-the-cap approach to dealing with all players........star quality or otherwise.

You guys were just wrong.

And yes, they didn't win because they didn't have a franchise QB...........which was not entirely misfortune.........from their inception they were not inclined to roll dice on QB's in round 1 and money-money-money-money played a big factor in that foolish decision making.     

You still gotta' have star players at premium positions to advance to and win a SB.    The fact that you were OK with not having them if they wanted to be paid their market value.........well, that's just not going to get you off the porch and running with the big dogs as an organization.    Fact.

Cash-to-cap had nothing to do with it.  He wanted a new deal when he had 2 years left on the deal they gave him a year earlier than they needed to.  They were set to give him the deal he wanted (between $8-10M/year) after the 2008 season but he had already decided to leave and ended up making $10M/year in 2009 anyway.

I was a huge Jason Peters fan.  I loved the story of how he went from UDFA to All-Pro OL with the Bills.  Then he pulled that stunt.  Again I saw his team win a SB without him playing, being replaced by a JAG (Vaitai).  His presence wouldn't have made a difference in winning and losing given the teams they fielded.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Doc said:

I was a huge Jason Peters fan.  I loved the story of how he went from UDFA to All-Pro OL with the Bills.  

Yes but really, he went from UDFA TE to RT to LT and was actually a GREAT LT. Although the timing of his holdout was unconvential, Peters really did deserve a raise. There were very few instances in which a very good to great LT has ever been traded. Willie Roaf comes to mind and although he was good, Peters was a clearly superior player (and supposedly there were personal issues involved).

There was no excuse to trade Peters. He was the best player on the team at that time. We were not even fairly compensated. It was one of the dumbest trades I for one have ever seen. Mr. Wilson just refused to pay Peters what he was worth.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

For reference........... @Mr. WEO has long been a Jason Peters hater..........scoffing ignorantly at the notion that he would be inducted into the HOF in recent years when it's basically a foregone conclusion for most of a decade now.

His 70 PFF grade last season.......at age 40.........would have ranked the second highest of any Bills OL.......I mean Saffold and Brown were in the low 40's and low 50's for reference.  

And 39 year old Jason Peters' 77.5 grade would have tied Dion Dawkins for the highest grade on the Bills in 2021.  

lol there he is!

Never a hater.  My thoughts on the value of the LT position in general (see Joe Thomas) flavor my view of any that get into the Hall.  I've made that clear.

But to suggest that is why I don't think it is wise to hire a 42 y/o guy (by the end of the season) because he is a former Bills icon isn't your strongest argument.  Had Peters not this week said he feels he can still play, you were  not calling for the Bills to find him and sign him. 

28 minutes ago, Doc said:

Cash-to-cap had nothing to do with it.  He wanted a new deal when he had 2 years left on the deal they gave him a year earlier than they needed to.  They were set to give him the deal he wanted (between $8-10M/year) after the 2008 season but he had already decided to leave and ended up making $10M/year in 2009 anyway.

I was a huge Jason Peters fan.  I loved the story of how he went from UDFA to All-Pro OL with the Bills.  Then he pulled that stunt.  Again I saw his team win a SB without him playing, being replaced by a JAG (Vaitai).  His presence wouldn't have made a difference in winning and losing given the teams they fielded.

this...

I don't think the Bills being "linked" to Peters is based on any inside information. I think people just look at the news of Shell retiring and then link that to Peters saying he will play again (on top of Peters's connection to Buffalo). It's all likely speculation based on nothing much if you ask me. 

Now as for would I mind Peters on the Bills? That's going to depend on what the coaches think of Doyle, Queese and the developmental tackles. If they think Peters represents an upgrade worth paying for then it could make sense. Sign Peters to be the 10th O-linemen or on the PS to mentor the younger players and be there to maybe handle a few starts if there are injuries. 

38 minutes ago, Doc said:

Wasn't the issue with Peters that he wanted a new deal entering into the 2008 season but because they had 3 years left on his deal they didn't want to redo it? So Peters basically played 2008 disgruntled and then with two years left just said I want out completely? I think had the Bills paid Peters in the 2008 off-season he would have stayed. That being said I do generally agree that even if they paid Peters what he wanted it wasn't going to make the difference from 2008 to 2017. The Bills were more than a great LT away from contending. 

From 2009 to 2011 the Bills struggled to find a Peters replacement but from 2012 to 2016 they had Cordy Glenn who was a good LT and from 2017 to present they had Dion Dawkins a good LT. So it wasn't like the Bills for many seasons Peters possibly would have been here didn't at least get above-average play at his position. 

I would have loved for Peters to have been here but at least the Bills got a good starting center for him and it wasn't like the team wasn't going to win with him as some sort of last missing piece. 

Edited by billsfan89
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Didn't he piss on the organization and city after he left in FA? 

I was upset that that Bills  front office didn't deal with him f as irly.  Ì couldn't blame him for finding a team that treated him fairly.  Am even glad he got to win a SB with the Eagles. 

24 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Ruben Brown also made 9 x Pro Bowls (and 4 x All Pro as well), but many Bills fans still don't think he was that good!

Do we think Jason Peters was worthy of all 9 Pro Bowls, or did he coast off his name & previous achievements for the latter ones? 😉

According to some Bills fans Pro Bowls only seem to count when not playing for Buffalo.

Because the guy was so great and really is barely even associated with the Bills, it would  be cool to have him back for 1 year. Maybe he could solidify RT for a big time run and when the league looks back at one of the all time greats…you’d remember he and the Bills differently. That being said, I can’t picture him actually being interested. Doesn’t seem like it would happen 

54 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Yes but really, he went from UDFA TE to RT to LT and was actually a GREAT LT. Although the timing of his holdout was unconvential, Peters really did deserve a raise. There were very few instances in which a very good to great LT has ever been traded. Willie Roaf comes to mind and although he was good, Peters was a clearly superior player (and supposedly there were personal issues involved).

There was no excuse to trade Peters. He was the best player on the team at that time. We were not even fairly compensated. It was one of the dumbest trades I for one have ever seen. Mr. Wilson just refused to pay Peters what he was worth.

He wanted out.  Like Roaf did.  When that happens there's not much you can do.

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

I'm not so sure this is correct. Bills management realized that they had made a mistake & were willing to negotiate but his agent Eugene Parker would not even answer calls & negotiate with the Bills. The whole situation smacks of tampering as the Eagles & him probably already had an under the table deal ready. Of course the league didn't care because it was the lowly Bills.

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

Ruben Brown also made 9 x Pro Bowls (and 4 x All Pro as well), but many Bills fans still don't think he was that good!

Do we think Jason Peters was worthy of all 9 Pro Bowls, or did he coast off his name & previous achievements for the latter ones? 😉

Ruben Brown was garbage in comparison to Jason Peters.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.