What Would Happen if the Bills Cut Damar Hamlin? (Dan Patrick)

wppete

5 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Hyde and Poyer are injury prone of late.  They need to take that into consideration. 

So Hyde and Poyer from 2017-21 start approximately 94% of the snaps, Hyde has one injury placing him on IR, and Poyer deals with a horrendous elbow injury and now they are injury prone.

Injury prone is a guy who keeps getting soft tissue injuries year after year and can’t stay on the field.  Lamar Jackson would be a better example of that as he can’t make a 16 game season (17 now).

Hamlin is in the 4th slot so it’s either him taking the 4th or he goes on PS.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

I think its a solid possibility.   If he decides to play football then he ends up on the practice squad here or another place.  If he decides to stop playing I have no doubt the Bills give him a community outreach position as part of the front office.   No matter what happens, I dont think the Bills will hang him out to dry.

Community outreach? :lol:   Damar Hamlin will probably be hosting Entertainment Tonight within 18 months of hanging up his cleats.   That's if he decides to stop ***** touring.   He's gonna' need an assistant to just to keep his crotch dry.   I've never seen so many thirsty women as at that Patriots game last year.   He's a legit celebrity now.

15 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

So Hyde and Poyer from 2017-21 start approximately 94% of the snaps, Hyde has one injury placing him on IR, and Poyer deals with a horrendous elbow injury and now they are injury prone.

Injury prone is a guy who keeps getting soft tissue injuries year after year and can’t stay on the field.  Lamar Jackson would be a better example of that as he can’t make a 16 game season (17 now).

Hamlin is in the 4th slot so it’s either him taking the 4th or he goes on PS.

In particular Hyde's injury is the type you either are cleared for and can play unrestricted or one which you need to retire.  

He was cleared to play and doctors who do job properly would not clear him if the injury would make him playing football unsafe.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

What if...and hear me out...what if Cam Lewis actually IMPROVED from last year and earned a spot? 

Why hold such a grudge over that 1 play? Do you hold the same hard feelings for Hyde, Poyer and White who did the same thing with Hail Murray? 

There were about 4 plays that cost the Bills that Vikings game. Josh handles the snap in the end zone and Lewis not knocking it down is a footnote.

Poyer, Tre, and Hyde got MOSSED!! Cam was just a stupid and selfish play

5 hours ago, msw2112 said:

I agree with this, but I do think that if this happens, he is offered a spot on the PS.

Indeed.  Just because the Bills seem to have plenty of talent at safety not all remaining 31 teams are set at safety plus there will be injured safeties during the course of the year and Hamlin at least has some name recognition most other fan bases would give him a shot to help them thru an injury or just a upgrade period from what they may have now.

This would allow the nfl to assist in getting Hamlin the required seasons toward pension and in a way that even makes sense to have him e as se back into the football grind while he still learning the pro game.  Who's to say Damarr Hamlin hasn't decided he wants to spend more time doing his foundation work over football.  Can never tell what  changes an experience like this may impact on that person's outlook.  Until any of us comes back from the dead after a similar instance we can only speculate how we'd want to proceed. 

Edited by AuntieEm

He isn't getting cut. Especially with Rapp being used as a hybrid linebacker type player at times. Hamlin will be at the end of the depth chart. He'll see some time this year and then if he doesn't take a step forward he won't make the team next year. You roster a 4th safety but you don't actually need one until guys get hurt.

I don't think there will be much fallout and he'll be fine. As others have said he's pretty much his own brand now, a ton of options await him if he stops playing football tomorrow.

That said, he made the team last year without any boost. I can't personally shake the concern that he must have taken a step back physically considering everything that happened to him, but if he somehow is still the same player then it's not crazy to think he sticks. I'm not necessarily sold on Marlowe who it feels has been sporadically on and off the team for the last decade and has never really made an impact.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think the ones arguing that since he made the team last year he would make it again are just wrong. they Brought in Rapp. Which makes one more S spot taken that Damar didn’t have to deal with last year.

I can say this, I’ve been to 2 practices so far this year. The first one I wasn’t paying attention much but today I focused on Damar after I watched him completely lay up on a hit. Got me thinking that maybe mentally he can’t take the next step. So I focused on him. Recorded every single play after that one to analyze it.  Unfortunately none of the plays he was really around the target after that, except his interception (only play I didn’t record). From everything I saw was that he was slow to react, or just unwilling to be aggressive and in on the play. I felt like last year he was super aggressive all the time. Played with almost no regard for his health and safety. Well, I’ll say it appears that is not the case anymore. Between Being completely out of plays and not even attempting to get in on them, and the 1-2 plays I actually did see him engage but layed up in a big way. I really think he is going to struggle once the real bullets start flying in pre season. I think he’ll be very hesitant (expected) and it will not look good. 

with all that said I think the Bills have a really hard time cutting him. The damage it could do to the locker room could be huge. Or maybe it’s exactly why they want, to eliminate it from the room altogether. 

anyway, flame away, I saw what I saw. I think come this Friday at the scrimmage and starting preseason games many more will see it. 

i really hope I’m wrong btw. 

Edited by mrags
  • Like (+1) 1

Hamlin was decent last year. A late rd  young guy taking over for an all pro S , there's obviously going to be a drop off. Good depth S, don't see him getting cut

5 minutes ago, mrags said:

I think the ones arguing that since he made the team last year he would make it again are just wrong. they Brought in Rapp. Which makes one more S spot taken that Damar didn’t have to deal with last year.

I can say this, I’ve been to 2 practices so far this year. The first one I wasn’t paying attention much but today I focused on Damar after I watched him completely lay up on a hit. Got me thinking that maybe mentally he can’t take the next step. So I focused on him. Recorded every single play after that one to analyze it.  Unfortunately none of the plays he was really around the target after that, except his interception (only play I didn’t record). From everything I saw was that he was slow to react, or just unwilling to be aggressive and in on the play. I felt like last year he was super aggressive all the time. Played with almost no regard for his health and safety. Well, I’ll say it appears that is not the case anymore. Between Being completely out of plays and not even attempting to get in on them, and the 1-2 plays I actually did see him engage but layed up in a big way. I really think he is going to struggle once the real bullets start flying in pre season. I think he’ll be very hesitant (expected) and it will not look good. 

with all that said I think the Bills have a really hard time cutting him. The damage it could do to the locker room could be huge. Or maybe it’s exactly why they want, to eliminate it from the room altogether. 

anyway, flame away, I saw what I saw. I think come this Friday at the scrimmage and starting preseason games many more will see it. 

Post the footage.  I'm not trying to argue , I'm just curious to see this

3 minutes ago, mrags said:

I think the ones arguing that since he made the team last year he would make it again are just wrong.

Personally speaking, that's not really the complete argument at all. It's mainly a counter to the argument that they'll keep him around just because they feel bad or whatever, since this obviously wasn't a factor last year. He's shown he can make a roster before, which shouldn't be completely ignored. Agree wholeheartedly with Rapp though, but I think Hamlin has just as good of a chance as anybody right now to be the final piece to stick after that. I think we can all agree that he's 100% on the bubble at best.

Appreciate the notes though. I also worry that he may be tentative when real game speed hits, which I wouldn't blame him for at all, so what you saw makes sense unfortunately. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he gets cut, and then either sticks with another team, or capitalizes elsewhere in the public eye. He'll definitely be fine though.

11 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Definitely would NOT be a media "firestorm."  LOL

It would make the news, only b/c of his health scare...then be forgotten about 3 minutes later.

The Bills don't owe him a career.

Yeah but bills have not been immune to even small firestorms. Josh has to explain if hes racist after the draft? Punt god gets canned off of what turns out to be bogus charges.  Buffalo jills still cant get work because it objectifies. 

Our organization has been very reactionary to public outcries from people who prob arent fans or like football so i wouldnt doubt they are in a corner on just keeping him to avoid bad PR.

Edited by Buffarukus

15 hours ago, Herb Nightly said:

Rapp.  Cam Lewis looking good in camp and is getting  reps at safety. Neal could play safety plus they have Anderson and Mayden.

yep, bills are loaded at safety, plus Neal, Lewis, Anderson are very strong on special teams.  With the loss of all the outside gunners from last year, seems you better be strong on ST to stick on the roster as a 4th or 5th stringer at LB, DB or WR.  Doesn't look great for Damar.   He'll get picked up by another team.   

He wouldn't have even seen the field last year but for all the injuries.   Maybe the good lord wants him to go run his loaded foundation and do good that way.  Not a bad fallback position.  

9 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Hamlin was decent last year. A late rd  young guy taking over for an all pro S , there's obviously going to be a drop off. Good depth S, don't see him getting cut

Post the footage.  I'm not trying to argue , I'm just curious to see this

Like I said. Nothing really to see. All the plays I recorded were of him nowhere near the play. I did say that it does show how he’s not being aggressive at all and not really attempting to get into the play. Which was opposite of how he played last season. He was a firecracker last year imo. 

anyway, I’m not computer savvy and the files are way to large for me to link here. You can PM me your email and I’ll send them there if you like. 

11 hours ago, mrags said:

no flames from me.  I thought your post was thoughtful. Wether or not he actually shirks contact would be a clear indicator he has no business playing Safety in he NFL. Aggressive can be a good Or bad trait. Bad when flagged and he has been before.

In any case the staff will decide. I'm rooting  for him!-m

The Bills & NFL legal machine have been executing a step-by-step plan from day one.

First, fire the safeties coach quickly and publicly (something Sean rarely does) to legally distance the Bills from Damar’s coach. Let’s not forget this coach was highly praised for developing Taron Johnson as the nickels coach and was dealing with 4th string safties and and underperforming Dline that wasn’t helping.

Next, publicly show support for Damar and make it clear that if he’s medically cleared, he’s still part of the team.

Then, sign Taylor Rapp and resign Dean Marlow pushing Damar further down the depth chart.

Then they cut him. Numbers game.

Or bury him deep on the practice squad with no intention of calling him up ever.

If he dies in a game, it would significantly damage the Bills, the NFL, and the future of youth football. The lawsuits would be never-ending.

That’s what I think, anyway.

this is nonsense, IMO. Unless he has regressed due to injury (then PUP or IR him or whatever) he is the 4th best safety on the team, with the guy from KC the seemingly only competition.  Marlowe is 5th likely.  Hamlin started a ton last year.  

1 hour ago, GerstAusGosheim said:

The Bills & NFL legal machine have been executing a step-by-step plan from day one.

First, fire the safeties coach quickly and publicly (something Sean rarely does) to legally distance the Bills from Damar’s coach. Let’s not forget this coach was highly praised for developing Taron Johnson as the nickels coach and was dealing with 4th string safties and and underperforming Dline that wasn’t helping.

Next, publicly show support for Damar and make it clear that if he’s medically cleared, he’s still part of the team.

Then, sign Taylor Rapp and resign Dean Marlow pushing Damar further down the depth chart.

Then they cut him. Numbers game.

Or bury him deep on the practice squad with no intention of calling him up ever.

If he dies in a game, it would significantly damage the Bills, the NFL, and the future of youth football. The lawsuits would be never-ending.

That’s what I think, anyway.

the inly way he dies in a game is if he gets hit in the exact same spot with the same awful timing again.  Same risk as any other player.  At which point NFL prob mandates the same sort of extra pads lacrosse players now wear (nfl and football should do this anyway, IMO). 

Edited by RyanC883

On 8/1/2023 at 5:14 PM, frostbitmic said:

My spidey senses tell me he'll suffer a mysterious injury just before cut time and be placed on IR. I don't think the Bills will cut him just yet.

I don't think Hamlin would accept that.  I could be wrong.

On 8/1/2023 at 6:17 PM, billsbackto81 said:

Is Jaquan Johnson still on the team? As long as he and Cam Lewis are gone I'll be ok.😋

Jaquan Johnson is signed with the Raiders.

Cam Lewis is still with the Bills and is making his case for a roster spot.

On 8/1/2023 at 5:13 PM, GunnerBill said:

I am not arguing Marlowe is any sort of stud. He is a backup level safety. The Lions gave him a deal to be a starter and soon realised he isn't that and moved on.

I just think Hamlin wasn't actually brilliant before what happened happened. He also to me looked like a backup doing a starter's job because that is what he is. 

I agree if it is close Hamlin will get the edge. And that is what I expect to happen. But I do think that is the competition for spot #4. 

I don't think Hamlin was in competition for the pro bowl or AP-1.  But I thought he was a solid player in the Bill's system.  He hadn't had a lot of playing time on defense before last season because Poyer and Hyde were so durable - saw defensive snaps in 6 games in 2021 with only one game over 20%.  So he did have a learning curve.  But by midseason I thought he was looking like he belonged - not at a level that would keep the Bills from looking for another safety in 2023 if Hyde couldn't return, but like he belonged.

I also think the Bills do like Jared Mayden, who has ~6 games of starting experience for the 49ers and Philly. 

If I had to pick right now, I'd say Poyer Hyde Hamlin Rapp

7 hours ago, Patrick Duffy said:

I don't understand why you say he's a sellout?

But in any event, when your all pro S goes down it's hard not to expect a drop off.

Right. 

And people forget that Hyde and Poyer didn't pop onto an NFL field looking like all-pros in their first games.  Hyde had played for 4 years and started ~2 seasons worth of games when he came to Buffalo.  Poyer had started 10 games in Cleveland.  Both had 4 years of NFL experience.

Edited by Beck Water

On 8/1/2023 at 7:39 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Community outreach? :lol:   Damar Hamlin will probably be hosting Entertainment Tonight within 18 months of hanging up his cleats.   That's if he decides to stop ***** touring.   He's gonna' need an assistant to just to keep his crotch dry.   I've never seen so many thirsty women as at that Patriots game last year.   He's a legit celebrity now.

You may be over thinking this.

6 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I don't think Hamlin was in competition for the pro bowl or AP-1.  But I thought he was a solid player in the Bill's system.  He hadn't had a lot of playing time on defense before last season because Poyer and Hyde were so durable - saw defensive snaps in 6 games in 2021 with only one game over 20%.  So he did have a learning curve.  But by midseason I thought he was looking like he belonged - not at a level that would keep the Bills from looking for another safety in 2023 if Hyde couldn't return, but like he belonged.

I also think the Bills do like Jared Mayden, who has ~6 games of starting experience for the 49ers and Philly. 

If I had to pick right now, I'd say Poyer Hyde Hamlin Rapp

I would pick those four too. But I think Marlowe still has a shot of disrupting it.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.