What Would Happen if the Bills Cut Damar Hamlin? (Dan Patrick)

wppete

I think its a solid possibility.   If he decides to play football then he ends up on the practice squad here or another place.  If he decides to stop playing I have no doubt the Bills give him a community outreach position as part of the front office.   No matter what happens, I dont think the Bills will hang him out to dry.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 9

Right now there are 3 safeties ahead of him. Poyer, Hyde, Rapp are locks I believe. Hamlin would be the fourth guy and I personally don't see anyone beating him out skillwise as long as his health and mental well being are back in line 

He's still a young guy, on a rookie deal who I felt got better as the season went along.

This whole conversation from Patrick is meant to get attention. This is a Cowherd level topic. Frankly I kinda find it classless to speculate on it and even say "you gotta keep him even if he doesn't earn it". 

• Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 4

It’s an attention grab topic at this point, one way or another I believe the Bills FO will be thoughtful in their dealings on this possibility. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, wppete said:

Good discussion here with Dan Patrick. What do you guys think? I think there is a good chance he doesn’t make the 53 and gets cut. 

I would not really care either way but I don’t agree there’s a “good chance” he doesn’t make the team. 

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Who else is there at his position to replace him? I agree that he's not a great football player and isn't a long term answer to any questions but in terms of a backup safety who else are they going to roll with?

Taylor Rapp. That said with if Damar is let go, I'm not sure if he's PS eligible but I could see us keeping him there unless he wants to move on from football yet doubt that since he participated in camp now. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Right now there are 3 safeties ahead of him. Poyer, Hyde, Rapp are locks I believe. Hamlin would be the fourth guy and I personally don't see anyone beating him out skillwise as long as his health and mental well being are back in line 

Bills would have kept Dean Marlowe but they were very cap strapped so they let him go and brought him back when they had a need.

I think he is competing again Dean Marlowe who is a better special teams player.

They can put Hamlin on PS in 2023 so he can get his insurance if necessary and other teams (i.e. Giants) can choose to pick him up.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

17 minutes ago, FireChans said:

It would be a media firestorm. 

Best case scenario if Damar is in danger of being cut would be to stash him on IR.

Definitely would NOT be a media "firestorm."  LOL

It would make the news, only b/c of his health scare...then be forgotten about 3 minutes later.

The Bills don't owe him a career.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 6

Nothing would happen outside of a couple days of news cycles, but if his play is close to what it was last year, no chance he gets cut. He played very well against the run, and was an extremely physical presence. While he's not a top 20 safety or anything at this stage of his career, he's played 2 seasons so far and is just 25. He could very well have a higher ceiling.

If he's fallen off due to his injury, then maybe they find a way to IR him and he can come back and try again next year.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Bills would have kept Dean Marlowe but they were very cap strapped so they let him go and brought him back when they had a need.

I think he is competing again Dean Marlowe who is a better special teams player.

They can put Hamlin on PS in 2023 so he can get his insurance if necessary and other teams (i.e. Giants) can choose to pick him up.

If the Bills had wanted to keep Marlowe last year that bad they would have found a way. His contract wasn't exactly a record setter. They chose to go with the younger guy that had more upside, which is understandable when both your starters at the position are over 30. Incidentally, I believe they would be able to place Marlowe on the PS and would likely have an easier time slipping him onto it than Hamlin.

Make no mistake however, if Hamlin is cut he will end up just fine. There is almost zero doubt in my mind he ends up as a depth player somewhere.And that is on talent, not pity. As a matter of fact the least shocking development in the world would be him ending up with the Steelers.

That said, Marlowe is on guy on the downside of his career that contributes on ST, which new rules have made that less important. He will have to beat Hamlin out at S and I just don't see that happening.

46 minutes ago, FireChans said:

It would be a media firestorm. 

Best case scenario if Damar is in danger of being cut would be to stash him on IR.

I dunno about THAT.  I’m sure there would be several click-baity headlines around the cut, though.

Seems he’s 4th S on depth chart. Which suggests he will make the team. But certainly possible he doesn’t make it.  I think he immediately gets picked up. He’s got a decent body of work on tape. His cause will continue regardless of being on Bills or not. 

53 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Who else is there at his position to replace him? I agree that he's not a great football player and isn't a long term answer to any questions but in terms of a backup safety who else are they going to roll with?

Rapp, who's without question better, and Marlowe.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, PBF81 said:

Also wouldn’t be surprised if Benford plays both CB and Safety this year if CB depth is strong. I really like Benford at Safety and Nickle CB. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It is Hamlin or Marlowe. I think Hamlin will get the benefit of the doubt if it is close. If Marlowe clearly beats him out then it is what it is.

Hamlin plays SS behind Poyer and Rapp tho, no?  

Marlowe's a FS.  

3 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

I don't think Marlowe is an upgrade.

3 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

IF he is cut THEN a lot of articles get written

So be it, just because the Bills staff saved his life doesn't mean the Bills owe him a job for the remainder of it.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, That's No Moon said:

I don't think Marlowe is an upgrade.

Yeah, I don't think so either.  But Marlowe's a FS type, right?  

Hamlin plays more SS.  He backed up Poyer last year when Poyer was out.  

Word on the street is Cam Lewis has been playing lights out at camp and is a core ST guy. If it comes down to it, he is in based on his versatility (CB/S/ST). Poyer, Hyde, Rapp are locks and add Lewis to that. Last year they kept 5 safeties so we'll see.

I always thought Hamlin was a long shot to make it and I said so when they said he was going to try and play this year and everyone went nuts. Unless you are treating him like a mascot, there's more of a chance he would get cut than make the team. I think for the sake of PR they will keep him around whether on the practice squad or PUP

Edited by KDIGGZ
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Hamlin plays SS behind Poyer and Rapp tho, no?  

Marlowe's a FS.  

Poyer can legit play both. He played FS most of last year. He played more FS his first two years with the Bills too. 

But I agree Hamlin and Rapp are more SS than Marlowe.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Word on the street is Cam Lewis has been playing lights out at camp and is a core ST guy. If it comes down to it, he is in based on his versatility (CB/S/ST). Poyer, Hyde, Rapp are locks and add Lewis to that. Last year they kept 5 safeties so we'll see.

I always thought Hamlin was a long shot to make it and I said so when they said he was going to try and play this year and everyone went nuts. Unless you are treating him like a mascot, there's more of a chance he would get cut than make the team. I think for the sake of PR they will keep him around whether on the practice squad or PUP

Agreed. But if they keep Him on the practice squad thy means he was cut. Question is would any other team pick him up and put him on their 53 man roster..

4 minutes ago, wppete said:

Agreed. But if they keep Him on the practice squad thy means he was cut. Question is would any other team pick him up and put him on their 53 man roster..

A guy that died on national TV not that many months ago? I think they would pass. That would be like you buying a car that had engine trouble on the freeway when the guy before you was test driving it.

I've wondered this exact same thing . It is a very sensitive situation i think that if he did get physically beat out that Damar himself wouldn't raise much of a stink but in the eye of the public every one would think a little bit less of the Bills decision makers .

I think they will keep him as long as he shows he's legit in his come back & they may even put him on the practice squad to get more into game shape which would probably be looked down upon but i could understand it he was out of football for quite a while . 

If he isn't able to continue his career i would hope that the NFL would have enough sense to make a exception about him being vested for insurance purposes seeing as it happened playing of them & it was a extenuating circumstance it's not like a player can just go out and make the same thing happen if they so decide .

• Like (+1) 1

Damar Hamlin has a very intelligent and self aware mindset.  He Knows that even if he never plays in the NFL he has a tremendous trust given in his name. And beyond that his own clothing line/brand.

He would be the First guy to set straight the people clutching their pearls upon his release should it come down to that. He will give glory to God and trust in HIS plan for his life.  Damar will likely say " I am blessed to have played NFL football. I'm going to be fine.  More than fine in his next chapter . Watch me."

and I will!!  

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

A guy that died on national TV not that many months ago? I think they would pass. That would be like you buying a car that had engine trouble on the freeway when the guy before you was test driving it.

Its really not like that. If its the 'struck in a 1/1m'th window of wring time' thing, it has nothing to do with Hamlin, and every other player in the league has the same risk. Now if they think its the 'word we cant speak of' related, then also, same risk every other player is at.  Its going to come down to talent, and he certainly has shown enough to be on someone's 53.

I guess the one thing that might give pause is if hes mentally playing scared.

2 minutes ago, T master said:

I've wondered this exact same thing . It is a very sensitive situation i think that if he did get physically beat out that Damar himself wouldn't raise much of a stink but in the eye of the public every one would think a little bit less of the Bills decision makers .

I think they will keep him as long as he shows he's legit in his come back & they may even put him on the practice squad to get more into game shape which would probably be looked down upon but i could understand it he was out of football for quite a while . 

If he isn't able to continue his career i would hope that the NFL would have enough sense to make a exception about him being vested for insurance purposes seeing as it happened playing of them & it was a extenuating circumstance it's not like a player can just go out and make the same thing happen if they so decide .

I mean the Bengals cut the "Leigh strong" player/dad. I forget how they helped him keep insurance but they found a way, same thing im sure we'd do.  If the team survived that, this is no big deal for us.

He was a backup safety, not like they just cut a starter, so his roster spot should not be seen as a lock by any means.

That being said, I think he will likely make the team.  If memory serves me, at the time he was hurt, he was the leading the team in tackles during his time starting or something like that.  Not a great guy in coverage, but was still developing.  

The way this team is built, the love the players have for him, I can easily see some other fringe guy getting cut before him.  At least this season.  

BUT...if he is cut, I don't think the backlash would be that bad.  Again, he was a depth player only playing due to other injuries, so any expectation that he was a lock to be on the roster would be unreasonable from a football perspective.  Then there is still the mental aspect of the game, is he even ready to play at his best is a legitimate questions, and if he is not, then putting him out there is a liability both from a risk of getting hurt and a football level.  

Still - I think that his presence is good for the overall roster morale, and that in itself has a lot of value for a team looking to get over the mental lapses to advance to the Super Bowl, so I think he would have to really struggle to be a cut candidate THIS year.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, That's No Moon said:

Rapp.  Cam Lewis looking good in camp and is getting  reps at safety. Neal could play safety plus they have Anderson and Mayden.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.