Tremaine Edmunds will test free agency

HappyDays

18 minutes ago, Process said:

Yup. That's a lot of good players. Enough for a solid D. Fill in the gaps with the cheapest players possible.

I have zero interest in having an "elite" defense.

The Bills despite having statistically "an elite defense" have been atrocious on defense in three of their four playoff losses with only the 2019 Texans game being one I would say they played fine. So yea time for something new, the defense even without Poyer/Edmunds has many good players plus a draft and FA to fill some voids. Figure it out and pump your best resources into the offense and call it a day.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

Good. I have zero interest in paying a good but not great middle linebacker who doesn't blitz much or run with top TEs $18 or $20 million a year for 5 years.

This means more money for the offense: line and weapons. 

Does anyone know if this can turn into a 3rd round compensation pick or something like that? If so, I'm all for the 3rd rounder.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Bears, Texans, Giants, Raiders all have a huge need there and have a ton of cap space. I have my money on the Bears or Texans. 

I am thinking Bears too, but they could have simply paid Roquan, though. The Giants make sense too. 

What about the Seahawks? They desperately need help in pass D, and he's an elite pass defender for a LB: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

• Like (+1) 1

If/when Edmunds signs on another team it will be for big money.

I don't see Beane signing any free agent anywhere close to that cost.

There will be a lot of ex-Bills on other teams next year.

Ergo:  I see a 3rd round comp pick for Edmunds in 2024.  I know it's not a lot, but it will be something.

17 minutes ago, corta765 said:

The Bills despite having statistically "an elite defense" have been atrocious on defense in three of their four playoff losses with only the 2019 Texans game being one I would say they played fine. So yea time for something new, the defense even without Poyer/Edmunds has many good players plus a draft and FA to fill some voids. Figure it out and pump your best resources into the offense and call it a day.

Remember when we were told "stats are for losers" when we draft Allen.

5 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

The defense is going to take a dip regardless most likely...defense is less consistent year to year than offense is. That's why you allocate more resources to the offense...it's more consistent year to year and the rules favor it. It should not be rocket science for Beane...McD is likely trying to swim upstream since he coaches D.

Yeah well the niners got as far as they did with a third string rookie because of a dominant defense. You can’t just ignore it either

1 minute ago, BillsSbSoon said:

Yeah well the niners got as far as they did with a third string rookie because of a dominant defense. You can’t just ignore it either

Niners offense is LOADED. 

They also play in the NFC.  Eagles found out what an elite defense looks like when playing one of the elite AFC QB’s. 

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

Good. I have zero interest in paying a good but not great middle linebacker who doesn't blitz much or run with top TEs $18 or $20 million a year for 5 years.

This means more money for the offense: line and weapons. 

Does anyone know if this can turn into a 3rd round compensation pick or something like that? If so, I'm all for the 3rd rounder.

McBeane don’t play the comp pick game.  Every year we sign a big helping of veteran JAG’s instead of playing draft picks and we never have a net loss in free agency.  

20 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I am thinking Bears too, but they could have simply paid Roquan, though. The Giants make sense too. 

What about the Seahawks? They desperately need help in pass D, and he's an elite pass defender for a LB: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

I think Eberflus may be looking for a different type of backer than Roquan. It is also quite possible that they knew he would not re-sign and so they traded him to get something. Edmunds is a better fit for that tampa 2 zone type sytem

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think he’s going to be the new Stephon Gilmore. He’ll be up for defensive MVP if he goes to a team with a good DL.

In the XFL or new USFL?

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

And then when our Defense falls off a cliff next year because of how integral Edmunds was, and we lose in the Wild Card round 42-38, fans can keep complaining about Frazier/McD/scheme. So it's really giving Bills fans what they want.

The drama.  Can't have a discussion without buckets full of it.  

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

It’s not feasible to have big money players at every position on defense, and if Frazier McDermott needs that to be successful then I question his abilities as a DC constructing a roster.

They already have an expensive LB in Milano. They have big money on the D line and at CB. Big money at Safety with Hyde and Poyer (though Poyer is obviously also a free agent now). It’ll hurt to lose Edmunds, but they can’t keep everyone and I’d rather see any extra money go into the offense.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/positional/2022/full-cap/

last year the Bills used 11.43% of their cap space on the LB position, which was the highest % of cap allocated to a position group on the roster (2nd closest was the CB position). It would be even higher if Edmunds is extended. I’m not sure if that’s the best way to spend the limited cap space they have…

One of the things I loved about McDermott’s defensive success in Carolina, especially back in 2012/2013 when they first started making noise - he did it with quite a few “no name” players (at least at the time) and young draft picks.

Time to get back to that, and if Frazier isn’t capable then maybe McDermott needs to take over or find a new DC.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/2022/cap-hit/inside-linebacker/

ILB is not a highly paid position, and only 1 (Fred Warner) participated in a Championship game last year.  

They'll find a replacement, that player will provide similar production at a reduced rate, and within 1-2 seasons the fanboys clamoring for Edmunds will melt away to occasionally admit his new team made a mistake.  

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, BillsSbSoon said:

And they allowed 31 points when they faced the Eagles.  So how dominant was it really when it actually mattered? Was the Chiefs D dominant or just situationally good when it needed to be?

Edited by Big Turk

The odds of him returning have pretty much fizzled away.  The only other big name free agent on the Bills'' roster is Poyer.  I think he's worth trying to resign, but the Bills need to be careful on the contract length and the terms.  They don't want to find themselves locked into a long term deal with a player whose play on the field has declined beneath the level of his compensation and is destined to fall further because of his age.  Of course, if Edmunds leaves, that creates a hole on the roster that Buffalo needs to fill either through the draft or in free agency.  It will take a high draft choice to get play that is close to what Edmunds has given the team regardless of what haters say.

There are plenty enough good pieces on defense to do without Oliver, Edmunds, Poyer, Lawson and Jackson.

I’d love to have them but cap constraints and reprioritization have to be done.  

Need to invest more valuable resources in FA and draft on O line and WR, and hopefully hit later round picks on the other spots.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.