Tremaine Edmunds will test free agency

HappyDays

Lots of fans of other teams in the comments wanting him.  I think Edmunds is going to get PAID.  

We’ll finally see if all this respect he gets from opposing coaches isn’t just lip service. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Lots of fans of other teams in the comments wanting him.  I think Edmunds is going to get PAID.  

We’ll finally see if all this respect he gets from opposing coaches isn’t just lip service. 

I think he’s going to be the new Stephon Gilmore. He’ll be up for defensive MVP if he goes to a team with a good DL.

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, dpberr said:

I don't see any of these players being on the 2023 team.

image.thumb.png.8d92714dc269f2f0fa045eb27045dc16.png

I see Phillips as a possibility.

Just now, Einstein said:

This would be the 5th player from that 2018 draft to be gone.

Edmunds - gone

Teller - gone

Phillips - gone

Mccloud - gone

Proehl - gone

It’s going to catch up to us next year also.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Just now, dpberr said:

I don't see any of these players being on the 2023 team.

image.thumb.png.8d92714dc269f2f0fa045eb27045dc16.png

Agreed, although I could see Jordan Phillips if he’s willing to come back cheap.   He just can’t be relied upon enough to give him what we gave last year. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Far better than allocating huge money to a MLB that doesn't help us in the playoffs.  They need to allocate more resources on offense...it's the way of the league.  McD needs to stop worrying about trying to field a top 5 D every year and shortchanging the offense because of it.  The rules favor the offense, use it to your advantage,  The D just needs to be middle of the pack, not great.

And then when our Defense falls off a cliff next year because of how integral Edmunds was, and we lose in the Wild Card round 42-38, fans can keep complaining about Frazier/McD/scheme. So it's really giving Bills fans what they want.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Agreed, although I could see Jordan Phillips if he’s willing to come back cheap.   He just can’t be relied upon enough to give him what we gave last year. 

I agree.  I think the team likes the healthy JP, not so much the injured JP.  

4 minutes ago, BillsSbSoon said:

Damn that sounds like he’s a goner. Wanted Tremaine back bad. Now we’ve gotta find a middle backer on top of the other things we need. Not good

49ers LB Al Azeez Al-Shaair could be the ideal replacement.  He is a free agent and will be cheaper than Edmunds and does a lot of the same things Edmunds can do in this defense.  He has been overshadowed in SF by the elite Warner and also Greenlaw, and he could be a break out player as he goes somewhere else now as a FA.  

My top 2 wish list Free Agents right now that are not OL are Al-Shaair and RB D'Onta Foreman.  Both will be affordable guys to replace both Edmunds and Devin and have the potential to be as good or better than who they are replacing.  

• Like (+1) 5

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

And then when our Defense falls off a cliff next year because of how integral Edmunds was, and we lose in the Wild Card round 42-38, fans can keep complaining about Frazier/McD/scheme. So it's really giving Bills fans what they want.

How integral was he in the previous 3 sad Bills playoff exits?  The scheme WITH Edmunds gave up 107 in those  3 games.  How would he be missed?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Anything is possible but it sounds like we have seen the end of Edmunds' career as a Bill. Which leaves more room to build the offense.

Actually, I'm relieved to hear this.  Makes me less worried that the Bills would overpay to keep him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

It’s not feasible to have big money players at every position on defense, and if Frazier needs that to be successful then I question his abilities as a DC.

They already have an expensive LB in Milano. They have big money on the D line and at CB. Big money at Safety with Hyde and Poyer (though Poyer is obviously also a free agent now). It’ll hurt to lose Edmunds, but they can’t keep everyone and I’d rather see any extra money go into the offense.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/positional/2022/full-cap/

last year the Bills used 11.43% of their cap space on the LB position, which was the highest % of cap allocated to a position group on the roster (2nd closest was the CB position). It would be even higher if Edmunds is extended. I’m not sure if that’s the best way to spend the limited cap space they have…

One of the things I loved about McDermott’s defensive success in Carolina, especially back in 2012/2013 when they first started making noise - he did it with quite a few “no name” players (at least at the time) and young draft picks.

Time to get back to that, and if Frazier isn’t capable then maybe McDermott needs to take over or find a new DC.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

How integral was he in the previous 3 sad Bills playoff exits?  The scheme WITH Edmunds gave up 107 in those  3 games.  How would he be missed?

Ah yes, the old "We didnt win a Championship with him, so he must not be worth keeping" line of logic that was so pervasive during the drought years.

We also won 3 playoff games with him before those losses as well.

I'd argue he was 1 of maybe 3 or 4 players that actually showed up to play against the Bengals. But the rest of the team ***** the bed so therefore he isnt worth keeping. Got it. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

How would that be any different from what they do anyway? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

49ers LB Al Azeez Al-Shaair could be the ideal replacement.  He is a free agent and will be cheaper than Edmunds and does a lot of the same things Edmunds can do in this defense.  He has been overshadowed in SF by the elite Warner and also Greenlaw, and he could be a break out player as he goes somewhere else now as a FA.  

My top 2 wish list Free Agents right now that are not OL are Al-Shaair and RB D'Onta Foreman.  Both will be affordable guys to replace both Edmunds and Devin and have the potential to be as good or better than who they are replacing.  

I like Al-Shaair too. But I think he probably follows Ryans to Houston. I think Houston signs Al-Shaair and Edmunds to be key pieces in his defense. 

I like Germaine Pratt the most as an Edmunds replacement, former safety with a ton of speed, but he is thick and stout. Plus it weakens the Bengals. 

Drue Tranquill is my other target. He can cover and does a lot of great things on the field. 

• Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.