Tremaine Edmunds will test free agency

HappyDays

I would've liked to see Edmunds sign here at a discount, but I have nothing against Edmunds if he wants to try to maximize his earnings in FA. I'll wish him the best (other than when he plays the Bills). 

It shouldn't be hard to find a JAG that can do ~80% of what Edmunds does for ~20% of the cost. 

It also shouldn't be difficult to draft a replacement with the 3rd round comp pick that Edmunds would net us. Of course that would require Beane to actually follow the comp pick formula and not just sign a ton of backup level players to small deals. 

5 hours ago, Success said:

We will miss him quite a bit if he leaves.

He's not irreplaceable - but he is one of the leaders & playmakers on D.  It adds one more thing to Beane's list if he moves on.

I agree. I find Edmunds a slightly frustrating player, but he plays a major role here. 

It isn't just one more replacement. It would mean that Beane will have only re-signed 2 of his top 100 picks that he drafted. Knox and Allen. Certainly there are a bunch on the roster that have not come due. But he will have drafted and let Edmunds and Philips walk.

We expect him to also let Oliver and Singletary walk. He already cut/traded Ford and Moss. 

Assuming the above happens the Bills will be left with AJE, Basham, Spencer Brown, Rousseau, Elam, Cook, and Bernard. Woof

Edit: There is a reasonable case to also let Brown, AJE, Basham, and Bernard walk based on play to day. 

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

The MLB is the lynchpin to the defense. Since it appears they let him walk, how are they not burning a high end pick to get the kind of athlete this defense needs there?

I don’t think there is a bargain version in FA, and they don’t see where have a replacement on the roster.

trying to recall who the lbs were in 2017, Preston Brown and Lorax? Was the D any good or didn’t need to be b/c offense was anemic..

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Anything is possible but it sounds like we have seen the end of Edmunds' career as a Bill. Which leaves more room to build the offense.

I mean, he shouldn't "commit" to anyone until there's a contract he's willing to sign. 

On the other hand, Milano pretty much said the same thing, and wound up re-signing with the Bills.

In the article:

And perhaps that's the case he fights to get his deal in the same range as a player like the Titans' Zach Cunningham at $14.5 million per year. Cunningham has logged higher tackle totals, but Edmunds is the better linebacker in coverage. 

"Very good-sized LB with good length and instincts," an AFC scout told me. "[He's a] three-down player with versatility. Still a young ascending player. … Good fit in any scheme."

Ultimately the way I look at it is:  nothing Edmunds did/brings to the table in the future makes us decidedly better than Bengals or Chiefs. The proof is in the tape. 

So invest that money where the difference can result in wins when they matter:  deep in the playoffs vs said teams. Those positions would be OL, WR, DL. 

We already have one stud LB in Milano. Realistically, how many teams have two highly paid LB’s? It’s not practical. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

This is very, very bad news for anyone who wants a real investment on offense. 

Edmunds is a pretty good LB, but will he command elite $$?

To anyone celebrating him leaving, expect yet another 1st round defense draft pick. Either S, LB, or good old DL. 

WR after round 4. OL we can do without because Allen can always run for his life, which is an "advantage" for us and part of his skillet apparently. 

Funny, I think this would mean the direct opposite (if true).

I think people underestimate Beane and McD. I guess they realized that they need to change they approach a little bit. I am pretty sure that even though people mock them now the draft will be heavily offense oriented. And letting Edmunds go means that they are willing to invest in offense even more.

I am not happy if he goes, but I fully support the idea to invest in offense and try to get similar results with less on defense. And I really expect Beane to go this direction. I guess we'll see. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think if the scheme is staying as is they are going to miss Edmunds and many of the folks saying no big loss will be bashing the new guy non stop.  I hope he signs with a team that plays a more aggressive style of defense. I would like to see if his game improves or stays on the conservative side. 

2 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I think if the scheme is staying as is they are going to miss Edmunds and many of the folks saying no big loss will be bashing the new guy non stop.  I hope he signs with a team that plays a more aggressive style of defense. I would like to see if his game improves or stays on the conservative side. 

Bills fans are in for a rude awakening. They hated Edmunds the most when we were #1 in points and yards. There is long way down from #1. We might take that ride down next year.

• Agree 3

11 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Never said he should get it. He will get it. Open market is crazy.

Spotrac, which is usually fairly astute, says 4 years/$44M

Market Value

4 yrs, $44,035,532

Avg. Salary: $11,008,883

NFL Rank: 183

ILB Rank: 7

If it's such a slam-dunk Edmunds would get $20M, the Bills could franchise him and trade him.

Edited by Beck Water

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I’ve been laughing at that valuation for a while. I think that guys a Bills fan.

In general, he tends to be accurate or high from what I've seen.  I tend to think it's low, and Edmunds will get considerably more - but there's a lot of room between $11M/yr and $20M/yr.

The franchise tag is high for LB because it includes pass rushing LB and edge rushers - and it's just shy of $21M

Roquan Smith got $20M/yr because he can rush the passer and tackle for a loss.

He's not Tremaine Edmunds.

Edited by Beck Water

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Market Value

4 yrs, $44,035,532

If it's such a slam-dunk Edmunds would get $20M, the Bills could franchise him and trade him.

That valuation is as accurate as a Zillow appraisal number. Way off.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Bills fans are in for a rude awakening. They hated Edmunds the most when we were #1 in points and yards. There is long way down from #1. We might take that ride down next year.

As long as the playoff defense doesn’t get blown up, I’m fine with a regular season defense that isn’t ranked number 1. 

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

As long as the playoff defense doesn’t get blown up, I’m fine with a regular season defense that isn’t ranked number 1. 

lol, exactly.

we halved our losses from the prior year in 2022, still got the clown shoe booting out of the playoffs w our D laying an egg (o too mind you).

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

McBeane don’t play the comp pick game.  Every year we sign a big helping of veteran JAG’s instead of playing draft picks and we never have a net loss in free agency.  

Up to now you are correct.  However, he was never in the position before with a number of higher value FAs most likely leaving, not

to mention a high dollar one like Edmunds.  There could be a change after the season.  We shall see.

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Market Value

4 yrs, $44,035,532

What is weird is that earlier this season his market value was over $14M on Spotrac.  Not sure why it dropped so much.

I'm thinking Edmunds get over $15M per year on a 4-5 year contract.

10 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Will GLADLY trade that for an Offense that doesn’t require Josh Allen to be elite week in/week out to function.  

If McDermott needs Edmunds on a Defense that will have Von, Jones, Rousseau, Milano, Johnson, Elam, White and Hyde, then fire him now. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Beck Water said:

So what in your POV would be accurate?

He'll get a deal similar to Smith's, whether we think he deserves it or not.

Smith is only making $9M this year and $13M next year, and has a good out after year 3. That would be a base salary pay cut for Edmunds (obviously made up in signing bonus for both Smith and Edmunds).

Smith's deal says 5/$100M, but it's really 4/$60 if you want to play GM.

Edmunds will get similar. It will say 5/$100, but unlikely it plays out like that and he'll have a low hit the next couple of seasons.

Big part of why I think the Bills should bring him back as a historical Edmunds detractor.

4 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Maybe we can get a really good guard for half of the money Edmunds wants or even less. 

What really good guard is available for $4M next year?

3 hours ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Replace with a cheaper option, someone like KC did with Nick Bolton. Use the money saved on offensive line and WR.

KC drafted Bolton. We tried that and wound up with Bernard and Spector while KC got Bolton and Chenal not to mention Gay and Karlaftis. 

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

He'll get a deal similar to Smith's, whether we think he deserves it or not.

Smith is only making $9M this year and $13M next year, and has a good out after year 3. That would be a base salary pay cut for Edmunds (obviously made up in signing bonus for both Smith and Edmunds).

Smith's deal says 5/$100M, but it's really 4/$60 if you want to play GM.

Edmunds will get similar. It will say 5/$100, but unlikely it plays out like that and he'll have a low hit the next couple of seasons.

Big part of why I think the Bills should bring him back as a historical Edmunds detractor.

I would go with $14/15  AAV

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

What really good guard is available for $4M next year?

What really good guard is available in FA next year, period?

I don't think people realize how good, or important, he is. Sure, he doesn't make a lot of splash plays (a function of playing in Frazier's defense I suspect). But he's able to take chunks of the field away and lowers the overall efficiency of the opposing offense.

I'd hate to lose him. It creates a massive hole.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.