How do the Bills win the Super Bowl next year?

QB Bills

Threads upon threads upon threads but this is really what it boils down to. We have (in my opinion) the most talented QB in the league. What needs to happen before next season for us to all die (eventually!) happy?

I'll throw it out there and say that we'll have to win big in spite of a coward as head coach. It can be done but we'll never have an advantage at the HC position in the playoffs. Barry Switzer did it so it's not impossible.

My wish would be to kick Clappy to the curb and hire Ben Johnson but that's not going to happen. As such I'm not too optimistic about 2023. Somebody talk me off the ledge.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 3

Given our cap situation, I don't see further progress right now. Beane would need to produce his best draft by far for this to be even be a possibility. Drafting has not been his strong suit, but he's done OK. 

If we don't sign an ok, but not too expensive replacement for Poyer, I'm afraid we'll waste our top pick on a S. We MUST do a serious upgrade of our OL and then add a couple weapons even if it means letting some guys on D walk. We've ignored our OL problems for too long. We need a very solid run game so Josh doesn't have to do it all himself. Besides, if our DL starters stay healthy, they can make up for minor deficiencies on the back end. We need to extend Da'Quan Jones too. Oh, and Go Sabres!

Edited by GreggTX
  • Like (+1) 3

For me it’s definitely improve the OL. Can’t just keep changing coaches, bringing in aged talent and expect miracles. This draft needs to be focused on the offense. Hopefully our draft slot won’t hamper us too bad in this effort. If the Bills can infuse a couple new, young studs to the OL, add another WR weapon or two and really commit to the run game we will all see a resurgence of the offense.

I’m not that worried about the D. Even with Poyer likely gone that spot can be filled without using an early draft pick. Assuming Vonn comes back healthy and stays so for the entire season the DL will be markedly better without having to change personnel. With the DL becoming a force again the rest of the defense will thrive.

Personally, I like our chances next season which I know appears to be contrary to most of the talk on this board right now. We have one of the best QB’s in the league and with that you are always in the conversation.

Go Bills!

It's been said that doing the same thing over and over again while expecting different results is the definition of insanity.

Our defense simply doesn't show up in the playoffs, as a rule now.  BUT, off it doesn't show up, then we're not winning anything.  

Really only two dots to connect.  The reasons are clear too many and don't need to continue to be discussed ad nauseum.  

The coaching and design limitations and failures of the offense can be worked around, but with the defense giving games away in the playoffs every season, is not going to happen, particularly as key players age and leave. 

Poyer and Von Miller were both brought her as free agents, they weren't drafted.  We don't have the resources to restock the D as we have, and Beane's drafting ain't cuttin' the Weber's.

5 hours ago, QB Bills said:

Threads upon threads upon threads but this is really what it boils down to. We have (in my opinion) the most talented QB in the league. What needs to happen before next season for us to all die (eventually!) happy?

I'll throw it out there and say that we'll have to win big in spite of a coward as head coach. It can be done but we'll never have an advantage at the HC position in the playoffs. Barry Switzer did it so it's not impossible.

My wish would be to kick Clappy to the curb and hire Ben Johnson but that's not going to happen. As such I'm not too optimistic about 2023. Somebody talk me off the ledge.

#1 - Oline Additions - Bills fix there Oline adding 2 new interior players that can lean on people and bust open holes in the run game as well as pass block . Spencer Brown also adds 20lbs of muscle and becomes a beast at RT. 

#2- Build a Running Game-  Whether via the draft or free agency the Bills add a true elite back that can break tackles and has the speed to take the distance on any play. Also learning how to use our backs in the passing game adding screens to this offense would be huge. 

#3- Wrs- We need to add a burner on the outside someone like Darius Slayton for cheap and also find a slot WR in the later rds of the draft. What’s important here is Gabe goes bk to 2021 form he gained to much weight and muscle last yr and I believe it took some of his quickness and flexibility away. Gabe can be an excellent #2 Wr he just needs to work hard on adding to his route tree and his hands. In a contract season I believe Gabe will be better then anyone of these big names overpriced Wrs on the market like Juju or Dj Chark . 

#4- Offensive Philosophy- Dorsey needs to find better ways to use his offensive players to there strength’s. This offense needs more screens to RB, Wrs & TEs we need more slants to Diggs and Gabe and he needs to feature Knox way more. We need to use Knox like the Eagles use Goedert or how KC uses Kelce . I would love to see 1 season where Knox gets over 130 targets he can be a force in this league if he’s used properly. Dorsey adding these easy plays to the offense it will force Josh to take what the defense is giving him . I would love to see our offense like the Eagles we’re they force defenses to defend every inch of the field by attacking horizontally and vertically. By making these changes and adding a running game the Bills offense will be Super Bowl caliber.

#5- Defensive Philosophy- Maybe with the addition of Al Holcomb he’ll be the difference in getting our Dline into some more stunts , twists and lining up in some wide 9 formations essentially getting these young dlineman developed . Frazier and Holcomb need to combine there defenses and create more of a aggressive defense playing more man coverage as well as mixing in with these zones Frazier loves pre and post snap. We also need Holcomb to be the guy that makes adjustments at halftime or any part of the game if need be. Frazier needs to be open to these changes or we can see him getting fired during the season and Holcomb taking full control of the defense. 

Well these are my ways to getting us to the show . At the end of the day the Bills really need to adjust there philosophies on offense and defense sometimes that’s more important then bringing in new talent. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Get into the playoffs and above all, have a healthy roster for the playoffs.  

I'm still waiting to see Miller, Groot, Jones and Oliver on the field at the same time.   Happened once or twice last year and it was really strong.   Beane got it right last year, but the guys couldn't stay on the field. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

15 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

##5- Defensive Philosophy- Maybe with the addition of Al Holcomb he’ll be the difference in ... 

Frazier needs to be open to these changes ...

The odds of that are remote.

We can't even get straight answers from Mr. Integrity, our head coach, as to who's D it is.  The odds of Holcomb superceding both of them are slim to nil.  

The offense has at least shown that it's capable of playing at a high enough level in the playoffs to win a Super Bowl.  The D on the other hand has not, and is set to get worse.  

6 hours ago, QB Bills said:

It won’t take much a good Offensive line and using your RB instead of Allen to run the ball. I believe that elbow was bothering him a lot more than he said this year and well a good run game take the pressure off of him.

• Like (+1) 1

1. Improve the OL which leads to better pass protection and an improved running game with the RB's doing the running.

2. Improve the DL (hopefully Von stays healthy) as we have seen in the playoffs elite level QB's will kill us unless we get pressure on them.

3. A legit WR-2 to go opposite Diggs. Davis isn't it as he is more suited to a WR-3 role.

4. I would like a new DC that will implement a new scheme. But that isn't happening. So, McDermott needs to take responsibility for the D and call the plays.

5. If the playoff game is on a Saturday tell Frazier to show up to the stadium or Sunday or vice versa.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Given our cap situation, I don't see further progress right now. Beane would need to produce his best draft by far for this to be even be a possibility. Drafting has not been his strong suit, but he's done OK. 

If we don't sign an ok, but not too expensive replacement for Poyer, I'm afraid we'll waste our top pick on a S. We MUST do a serious upgrade of our OL and then add a couple weapons even if it means letting some guys on D walk. We've ignored our OL problems for too long. We need a very solid run game so Josh doesn't have to do it all himself. Besides, if our DL starters stay healthy, they can make up for minor deficiencies on the back end. We need to extend Da'Quan Jones too. Oh, and Go Sabres!

The Rx you prescribe is precisely the correct strategy. It doesn't seem impossible to me, but Beane will have to hit on draft picks and be selectively wise in free agency. They should sacrifice some D to improve the O, that needs to be the mantra for this offseason. They spent lavishly on D and failed badly in the postseason at home anyways. You can fail with less, or coach up what you have. Fix the O.

New to football OP? It’s ok. There are no stupid questions. 🙄They do it by winning all of their playoff games, then winning the final championship game which is the one commonly referred to as “the Super Bowl.”

About that ledge… here, lemme help you out… just.. a little… push! All better. :devil:

7 hours ago, QB Bills said:

I really like Ben Johnson too, enjoy listening to him with the media. 

With that said, is he ready to lead an entire team? That I don't have a gauge for. 

My answer with the Bills keeping all the same Coaches and FO would be, they need a home run draft. 

They need to get a WR and Offensive Lineman that come in and immediately contribute. Use Free Agency to try and bandaid what's left of Safety. 

The Bills need to:

1.  run the ball like they mean it, making it an integral part of their offense. If Dorsey cannot or will not do so, then he cannot continue in his roll. (I think he showed this year he can't or won't, so the Bills likely need need a new coordinator to have a real chance next year.)

2.  get a good offensive line, adding a great guard, or two, and a great right tackle

3.  find a young defensive lineman, a tackle or end, who can consistently put pressure on the quarterback and be disruptive in the run game.

4.  draft or sign a high quality receiver, fast, and with great hands.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Upgrade the OLine - at least 2 spots via Trade & Draft

Upgrade the DLine - 1 Solid Edge Veteran added to Von & Rousseau. A large consistent DT to pair with DaQuon
Acquire a WR 1B/2  via Trade or Draft 

The Defense needs to become more diverse, unpredictable with coverages and blitz packages. 
Understand you have to play some physical press man. Elam can be very good at it. 

The team must play with far more intensity, passion and desire down the stretch and in the playoffs.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Gregg said:

1. Improve the OL which leads to better pass protection and an improved running game with the RB's doing the running.

2. Improve the DL (hopefully Von stays healthy) as we have seen in the playoffs elite level QB's will kill us unless we get pressure on them.

3. A legit WR-2 to go opposite Diggs. Davis isn't it as he is more suited to a WR-3 role.

4. I would like a new DC that will implement a new scheme. But that isn't happening. So, McDermott needs to take responsibility for the D and call the plays.

5. If the playoff game is on a Saturday tell Frazier to show up to the stadium or Sunday or vice versa.

I like it

• Like (+1) 1

Free agency!   I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, *****-kickers and Methodists.
You know, like Kansas City does. 😇

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

8 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Free agency!   I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, *****-kickers and Methodists.

I look at the Eagles OL and DL and I am jealous. I wish the Bills could have that. Of course, so does every other fanbase in the league.

27 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

That's a ton of people Sean has to baptise in church. May be too daunting. 

• Haha (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Charlie Brown Football GIF

• Haha (+1) 2

This is the dream offseason I've come up with that would put us right back in the Super Bowl conversation:

1) Let Edmunds walk. Not because I don't like him as a player, I just think we need to transfer some of the resources from defense to offense. At this point I don't think he will ever be a truly elite game changing type of player and you can find capable MLBs for a reasonable price.

2) Cash in almost every available contract restructure we have. I believe we can create about $50 million in cap space just with this method. Since we're over the cap right now this would give us about $30 million to play around with.

3) Get one of these receivers - DeAndre Hopkins, Michael Thomas, OBJ, Brandin Cooks. I have my ranked preferences but I'd be happy with any one of these. Also try and re-sign Crowder to a vet minimum deal, head into 2023 with him and Shakir as the primary slot options. McKenzie I would let go.

4) Spend a plurality of our free agent spending on offensive linemen. Ideally one fairly big signing on someone that we KNOW is an upgrade somewhere on the line, and one moderate signing like Saffold's contract but without it being a total waste of money.

5) My preference as of today in the 1st round is Jalin Hyatt. I'm no scout, I just think having someone that can take the top off defenses and take a quick slant to the house is something this offense desperately needs. I wouldn't overthink it like people did with DK Metcalf. Hyatt's speed and ball tracking and good hands more than makes up for his limited route tree.

6) Pretty much leave the defense as is. Move Benford to safety and find a decent MLB in free agency.

If all goes according to plan you come into 2023 with an improved offensive line, a much more explosive and versatile WR room, and probably very little drop off from the defense. We are ready for life without Gabe Davis in 2024, we could even potentially trade him mid-season if Hyatt hits his stride early. I'm okay with Cook and Hines as the top two RBs in 2023, ideally we'd draft a more traditional downhill RB on day 3.

Hope that Von Miller comes back healthy by mid-season, hope that Rousseau takes another big step, hope that Oliver can stay healthy all year, all of a sudden we have a very good defensive line to pair with a more talented offense. All of this combined means we are as likely as anyone to win the Super Bowl.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This is the dream offseason I've come up with that would put us right back in the Super Bowl conversation:

1) Let Edmunds walk. Not because I don't like him as a player, I just think we need to transfer some of the resources from defense to offense. At this point I don't think he will ever be a truly elite game changing type of player and you can find capable MLBs for a reasonable price.

2) Cash in almost every available contract restructure we have. I believe we can create about $50 million in cap space just with this method. Since we're over the cap right now this would give us about $30 million to play around with.

3) Get one of these receivers - DeAndre Hopkins, Michael Thomas, OBJ, Brandin Cooks. I have my ranked preferences but I'd be happy with any one of these. Also try and re-sign Crowder to a vet minimum deal, head into 2023 with him and Shakir as the primary slot options. McKenzie I would let go.

4) Spend a plurality of our free agent spending on offensive linemen. Ideally one fairly big signing on someone that we KNOW is an upgrade somewhere on the line, and one moderate signing like Saffold's contract but without it being a total waste of money.

5) My preference as of today in the 1st round is Jalin Hyatt. I'm no scout, I just think having someone that can take the top off defenses and take a quick slant to the house is something this offense desperately needs. I wouldn't overthink it like people did with DK Metcalf. Hyatt's speed and ball tracking and good hands more than makes up for his limited route tree.

6) Pretty much leave the defense as is. Move Benford to safety and find a decent MLB in free agency.

If all goes according to plan you come into 2023 with an improved offensive line, a much more explosive and versatile WR room, and probably very little drop off from the defense. We are ready for life without Gabe Davis in 2024, we could even potentially trade him mid-season if Hyatt hits his stride early. I'm okay with Cook and Hines as the top two RBs in 2023, ideally we'd draft a more traditional downhill RB on day 3.

Hope that Von Miller comes back healthy by mid-season, hope that Rousseau takes another big step, hope that Oliver can stay healthy all year, all of a sudden we have a very good defensive line to pair with a more talented offense. All of this combined means we are as likely as anyone to win the Super Bowl.

That's a nice plan. I prefer Michael Thomas on a reasonable deal. They need to pick up a big bruising rb along the way -- and then insist that Dorsey integrate a running game into a coherent game plan. If he can't do that, adios. I don't think the FO has the cajones to follow through, but they should.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, QB Bills said:

We have (in my opinion) the most talented QB in the league.

Do you think your opinion is biased at all because you are a Bills fan?

Josh is probably 3rd right now...not that it matters.

You can win a SB with the 3rd best QB in the game too.

Invest in the offense and surround Allen with the best talent possible.  And by "invest" I mean:

*  To the extent the CAP allows we favor the offense in who we sign as FA's

*  The bulk of our draft picks for the next two seasons go to the offense.

*  We change our defensive tactics to recognize that we're an offensive team.  I would copy KC where their philosophy is more compatible with having a high energy O with a big play QB at the helm.  This means the LAST thing we want to do is allow teams to nickle & dime us to death on D.  Long, time consuming scoring drives are worse then giving up the occasional big play score.  After a big play score our O is right back on the field.

• Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.