1/15/2023 Wildcard Weekend - Dolphins @ Bills - Post Game Thread

BuffaloBill

1 minute ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

I am.  You'd think we lost.

Miami plays us tough under McDaniel. So what. He's a .500 coach that limped into the 7 Seed.  We're not going to revamp the roster to beat Miami.

That said, this OL needs work in the off-season. Josh needs to be a bit more 2020 and a bit less 2019.

I agree with almost all

of this but I do think we will have Miami (as well as some others) in mind when we make moves this off-season. This Dline is still underwhelming, CB are leaving WRs open all over especially the middle and we need a couple play makers in the WR room. I'd like to think the Oline will be built but I just don't think that'll ever happen u til Buffalo stops relying on Superman josh. 

49 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Worst all around game of the season comes in the playoffs.  Coaching consistently doesn’t have this team prepared to play.  Sloppiest, dumbest football I’ve ever seen.  

Game plans were fine but execution was crap m, that’s on players. In-game adjustments also kinda crappy on O due to unanticipated events, that’s on coaching. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

He hasn’t completed more than 63% of passes since the first NE match up. Today was particularly frustrating for me today because it feels like this is the QB he’s been for the last month or two. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AlleJo02.htm

Absolutely 

If we go on a run we need yop notch play calling.

More RPOs

More easy passes over the middle, less complicated,  low percentage passes

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, downunderbill said:

That was a tough one and tough to watch, and Buffalo did as much damage to themselves as Miami did. Agree with the positive and negative views of the current state of the Bills but we are still alive and remember, Miami was built to beat the Bills😉

Anyway, it's new week now on to Jacksonville.

On to Jax? You think the Ravens are gonna beat the Bengals tonight? Gutsy call and I’d love to see it.

5 minutes ago, downunderbill said:

That was a tough one and tough to watch, and Buffalo did as much damage to themselves as Miami did. Agree with the positive and negative views of the current state of the Bills but we are still alive and remember, Miami was built to beat the Bills😉

Anyway, it's new week now on to Jacksonville.

Ha, love your thinking!

Edited by Pokebball

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

No...they need to check *their* arrogance and stop playing with their food before eating it.

I don't agree. The Bills play that game totally different if Tua was playing.

I agree they'd have a different plan but what the heck were they planning today? A 3rd string QB with no threat of a real running game. Give tua the ball in the field position that Buffalo gave them and some of those FG would be TDs. 

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

He hasn’t completed more than 63% of passes since the first NE match up. Today was particularly frustrating for me today because it feels like this is the QB he’s been for the last month or two. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AlleJo02.htm

I disagree.  Allen had 4 passes that could and should have been completed.  TD to Diggs, TD to Knox both ruled incomplete.  Deep pass to Shakir incomplete.  The pick that hit Beasley in the chest and became a pick.  Guys need to catch that stuff.

Biggest surprise for me: Morse going after Christian Wilkins, ripping his helmet off and carrying it away as a prize (along with the rest of the OL piling on)

I think of Morse as the contained, mannerly professional, but he was having NONE of that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, appoo said:

DLine won today. By a good margin as well. The DEs weren’t making splash plays, but they were winning battles and moving the QB from what I recall 

They did have some success today, but against a third stringer starting a playoff game on the road you would hope for SOME success. 

Dolphins pass rush was consistently relentless and overall much stronger than ours. If we had played to that level, it would be more in line with the expectations from the investments we’ve made in the d line, imo. 

2 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

I would agree with you, if it weren't for the deep shots late in the fourth quarter. No logic, not necessarily and put unneeded pressure back on the defense.

I didn't like those plays either.  We were all screaming at the TV.  Not sure if that was Allen being stubborn or Dorsey losing it.  Maybe both.  But in 2 of the Bills 3 possessions during that time they erased a 24 - 20 deficit and got ahead 34 - 24.  And that was because Allen calmed down and started slicing and dicing the fish.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Miami blitzed a lot and the Bills essentially had no hot route. I guess the hot route is chucking it 50 yards.

Quick slants to Beas or Diggs...high percentage throws.  

Not sure what they were doing today.

Type A, run through a wall type QB meets type A run through a wall type OC.

We need to stay calmer and play smart as well. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, UKBillFan said:

I'm not sure I'll be able to cope with three more games like that! But if it means the Bills win the Super Bowl, I'll suck it up.

Sure you can. Only problem was that this was Miami with Thompson at QB and we did not expect it.

If we beat Cincy like this everybody will be happy.

That's why I say - go Bengals tonight. Bring them on. No more underdogs like Jags.

• Like (+1) 1

and they show Leslie on the sideline, his winter hat all discombobulated and he just got that 13 seconds look on his face lol. i don't mean to rag on the guy but damn you just wonder how much is scheme vs talent on defense, and then crazy Dorsey in the booth, JA needs a steady hand at times. Go Bills i hope these coordinators pull it together and coach a great game the next few weeks and Mcdermott doesn't coach scared in the big moment and manages the clock and his timeouts/challenges effectively, or he is not getting past his mentor Andy Reid. Go Bills!!!

1 minute ago, Yobogoya! said:

They did have some success today, but against a third stringer starting a playoff game on the road you would hope for SOME success. 

Dolphins pass rush was consistently relentless and overall much stronger than ours. If we had played to that level, it would be more in line with the expectations from the investments we’ve made in the d line, imo. 

That’s an attacking 3-4 defense. It’s basic design is to attack the LOS from a lot of different angles - and they have some really good pieces to get it done. 

But I go back to what I said earlier….defense simply wasn’t an issue today. They did their jobs and then some

44 minutes ago, Zag20 said:

Was there some fracas after the game with Spencer Brown and the Dolphin’s? Dude need to rein it in a bit. I’m surprised he wasn’t kicked out for pushing Wilkins face into the ground earlier. 

That SOB deserved it I’m sure, but when was that?

Our OL was definitely fired up, Morse going full-speed after Wilkins ripping his helmet off and carrying it off like a prize of war was NOT on my Bingo card

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I didn't like those plays either.  We were all screaming at the TV.  Not sure if that was Allen being stubborn or Dorsey losing it.  Maybe both.  But in 2 of the Bills 3 possessions during that time they erased a 24 - 20 deficit and got ahead 34 - 24.  And that was because Allen calmed down and started slicing and dicing the fish.

Josh made some fantastic plays today. Do we have to accept the mind-numbing plays because, when they come off, they look so brilliant and do us so much good? Is there any way we can have a fairer balance? In my mind, yes, because it felt like that's what we were doing pre-bye. I'm not sure why we abandoned it and not returning to it.

8 minutes ago, Tulsabillsfanz said:

This was a horrible game to watch, especially after we led 17-0. It was 4 hours of stress. It seemed everything was pointing to an upset loss for us: terribly timed timeouts by us, multiple uncalled Miami delay of game, then delay of game called when we stopped them, big pass plays overturned, etc.  We just couldn’t seem to catch a break all game, until that final first down call.    But, a win is all that counts in the playoffs! 

It was one heck of a nail biter game. It was often sloppy and poor execution by the Bills. That was the frustrating part. However, Miami's front gives Bills trouble. 

No style points needed in the playoffs. Like you said a win is what counts. I think the Bills will play much better next week. They will have to in order to win. Hopefully, they got their bad game out of the way. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Sure you can. Only problem was that this was Miami with Thompson at QB and we did not expect it.

If we beat Cincy like this everybody will be happy.

That's why I say - go Bengals tonight. Bring them on. No more underdogs like Jags.

I said in the pre-game thread, just before the game started, that I was nervous as it wouldn't be as easy as many expect. I think a couple of people rolled their eyes at me!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Best Williams Available said:

Why was this not open all day? When the camera showed behind LOS shots our WRs are running deep almost every time. Maddening.

That was the plan to beat this pressure defense. The Phins’ secondary is way below average inspite of having Holland and Howard. The other 2-3 pieces are well below average 

Dorsey wanted to take advantage of it by hitting them deep

Just now, CapeBreton said:

Why must the Bills always take their foot off the gas when they get a lead? I feel like they were trying to be greedy and just coast out a W. Miami wasn’t having any of that. 

The problem was the offense didn't take their foot off the gas. They kept trying to deep play after play. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, CapeBreton said:

Why must the Bills always take their foot off the gas when they get a lead? I feel like they were trying to be greedy and just coast out a W. Miami wasn’t having any of that. 

Because we can’t or won’t run the ball with our RB’s.  Josh rightly stops running the ball and taking hits when we get up by 3 scores. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I am in the minority here. I liked the long passes vs their cover 0 coverage. You have to trust your QB to make that throw and the WR to make a play. Additionally, I want a more explosive quick striking offense. The real issue today was execution. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I didn’t think the pass rush was good at all without blitzing.

They were and they evidence is how poorly Thompson’s completion % was. He completed just 40% of his passes. A big part of that was the Dline moving home and forcing him out of his conventional reads. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.