BROCK PURDY: for real or fools gold ?

Italian Bills

2 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

I hate when people hype up these players who have a good game or two.  So annoying 

He’s played very well for a 7th rd pick.  He’s a great story and discussion. 

I hate it when people hate things that carry no weight in their lives.  Why hate such a thing? 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, Airseven said:

My take is every team should be drafting seasoned QBs in the 7th round no matter their lack of measurables.

Cam rising is my 6-7th round backup I want 

Tough as nails, winner, intangibles …. Just not the most physically gifted

There’s always a fourth or fifth year senior with a great make up to be a good back up

Edited by Buffalo716

15 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He’s played very well for a 7th rd pick.  He’s a great story and discussion. 

I hate it when people hate things that carry no weight in their lives.  Why hate such a thing? 

How many times have you seen this same scenario and the player flame out.  Probably 99% if the time 

• Agree 2

NFL has a tendency to figure people out, but the 49ers are an extremely QB friendly system in need of a guy who can just manage the game and make the occasional throw down the field… Purdy can do that, along with mobility at QB they didn’t have before. 

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

I hate when people hype up these players who have a good game or two.  So annoying 

The real test is how effective are they after 6 weeks, once there's film on the new QB and opposing DC's have time to game plan. Then can they adjust their game and win again.

At this point 100% fools gold considering he's not even played 2 full NFL games.

This is the NFL and it takes a little time to get tape out on the latest flash in the pan. Credit Kyle Shanahan for being a great offensive mind and putting this kid in position to succeed around a great roster but he'll get exposed at some point especially in the playoffs, if not much sooner.

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Expecting a PFF article on how he is better than Josh any minute. 

Lots of clicks guaranteed,

Too early to give a grade of either kind after just two games.

Purdy had a great career at Iowa State, and was not a one year wonder.

He brings to the game the type of skill that is probably similar to what Garrapolo did, although potentially better.

The 49'ers run the ball a lot, so that helps Purdy. As of now I have not seen him make any bone headed plays that Garrapolo would make.

20 minutes ago, Italian Bills said:

Yesterday he had another great game, it seem he has been in control all the game, very accurate and more. 

You that know the game much more than me, what’s your take on this ? 

If he’s for real the 49ers can have a serious shot to the SB. 

My wife is a die hard Niners fan (who also cheers on the Bills with me) and we watched both games with Purdy.  Here is the thing, the Niners offense doesn't ask a lot of Jimmy G to begin with.  They are a run based offense with a YAC based short passing game where the QB isn't asked to carry the team and just make enough plays and not turn the ball over.  

Purdy so far has shown he is capable of being at least that.  BUT...there is one major thing positive that Purdy brings to the table over Jimmy G.  And that is Jimmy G is a complete statue in the pocket with AWFUL pocket awareness in terms of avoiding the rush.  Purdy has already shown to be substantially better at moving in the pocket and also using his legs to extend and make some plays, including a rushing TD.  

So based on what I saw watching every Niner game this year, including the bad game by Lance where he got hurt, and every snap of both Jimmy G and Purdy...I can say Purdy gives me more confidence in handling the pass rush and extending plays with his legs.  

But that is also BEFORE any teams have any tape on Purdy...so we still need to see how Purdy does as teams game plan for him more.  But right now, Purdy has done well and I think is capable of potentially being as good or better for the Niners offense than Jimmy G was.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GolfandBills said:

How many times have you seen this same scenario and the player flame out.  Probably 99% if the time 

It’s doesn’t matter…..it’s ok if you don’t care about him…..but why “hate” something like this?  Imagine being a 7th rd pick, start the season as the 3rd string qb as a rookie and end up being the starter…..and beating a dolphins team on a nice win streak and then defeating Tom Brady in his first start?  

enjoy it for what it is…… a great story.  

or hate it like a Scrooge. 

• Agree 2

45 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

My wife is a die hard Niners fan (who also cheers on the Bills with me) and we watched both games with Purdy.  Here is the thing, the Niners offense doesn't ask a lot of Jimmy G to begin with.  They are a run based offense with a YAC based short passing game where the QB isn't asked to carry the team and just make enough plays and not turn the ball over.  

Purdy so far has shown he is capable of being at least that.  BUT...there is one major thing positive that Purdy brings to the table over Jimmy G.  And that is Jimmy G is a complete statue in the pocket with AWFUL pocket awareness in terms of avoiding the rush.  Purdy has already shown to be substantially better at moving in the pocket and also using his legs to extend and make some plays, including a rushing TD.  

So based on what I saw watching every Niner game this year, including the bad game by Lance where he got hurt, and every snap of both Jimmy G and Purdy...I can say Purdy gives me more confidence in handling the pass rush and extending plays with his legs.  

But that is also BEFORE any teams have any tape on Purdy...so we still need to see how Purdy does as teams game plan for him more.  But right now, Purdy has done well and I think is capable of potentially being as good or better for the Niners offense than Jimmy G was.  

The other thing that's going to matter when the playoffs roll around is that Purdy plays without fear.

Garoppolo is a quivering meltdown waiting to happen and I have no doubt his teammates know it.

5 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

You'll find out by the end of the season. Once 4-5 games are on tape then DCs can start specifically gameplanning to take things away he does well and see if he has any answers.

I think you'll find out before that.

Those guys don't need 4-5 games of tape to realize that you take away his short timing routes and force him to be accurate further down the field.

It didn't work yesterday and the Bucs defense is nothing to scoff at. 🤷‍♂️

28 minutes ago, Simon said:

The other thing that's going to matter when the playoffs roll around is that Purdy plays without fear.

Garoppolo is a quivering meltdown waiting to happen and I have no doubt his teammates know it.

Yeah, I would agree with that too.  He gets sacked a lot too just hesitating to pull the trigger.  

He really has some of the worst pocket presence I’ve ever seen in a starter.  

3 hours ago, Italian Bills said:

Yesterday he had another great game, it seem he has been in control all the game, very accurate and more. 

JG can be back for playoffs.

As for Purdy.  Jury out

He wasn’t bad as a college qb but doesn’t have the optimal body size to be one.

a team like the ni ears with a very good defense and running gsme so you can use play action passing a QB can do well.

as we see game tape opponents will understand tendencies and how to play receivers 

• Italian Bills changed the title to BROCK PURDY: for real or fools gold ?

guy started like 50 Big12 games in college, with great stats (both throwing and running), so he has played a lot of QB at a high-ish level.   So transition to a pro offense and starting games probably not a big deal for him.   IMO, his ceiling is limited and he'll be schemed out at some point by DCs because he does not have an NFL arm and is an average athlete.       

QB’s are pretty good these days. There’s a lot of guys who are able to step in and play well. It’s finding someone at the elite level that’s difficult. The 49ers are talented, and well coached. That helps Purdy quite a bit, and Jimmy G was never as good as folks claim imo, he’s also a product of that system. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Like (+1) 1

Ok.. from what i see it seem that the major of you think that he could become a good one but not elite, very helped by Shanahan system that you say it’s great. 

So my next question is: would our Allen lead offense be unstoppable with Shanahan ? 

Our offense is not so explosive because our poor run game (OL and backs factor) and because we don’t relate on short passing game enough ? I mean very few curl, slant, jet sweep, etc ? 

Edited by Italian Bills

Didn't the 9ers start a backup a qb a few years back who had like 3 or 4 really good games and then collapsed? Can't remember his name off the top of my head. 9ers have a really good team though. Mcafrey is a stud. Purdy doesn't have to be as good when you have playmakers like that 

14 hours ago, Italian Bills said:

Honestly, i think it's too early to tell. He for sure has some skills, he wouldn't have been drafted otherwise. I think the real question is.... "Is he good enough to carry the team when it's needed"?

The 49ers roster is loaded, especially on defense, so he isn't exactly getting asked to do a lot of "heavy lifting". I do think he will benefit from being able to play now  with such a strong team vs when they were struggling a few years ago. It will for sure help him grow and develop even more without taking to much of a beating.

I can potentially see him turning out to be another Jimmy G though. The Patriots sold him as the bill of goods and while he is a serviceable QB as a off the bench QB, he turned out to be a for the most part a lower end QB that has major issues with staying heathy and finishing a season. For Brock Purdy's sake, i hope that he doesn't turn into another Jimmy G though.    

14 hours ago, Italian Bills said:

He is one lucky man! He is on a LOADED 49ers O with CMC, Samual, and Kittle just to name a few it isn’t hard to find an open man or if you need to just hand it off and CMC will run 10 yards lol

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ProcessTruster said:

guy started like 50 Big12 games in college, with great stats (both throwing and running), so he has played a lot of QB at a high-ish level.   So transition to a pro offense and starting games probably not a big deal for him.   IMO, his ceiling is limited and he'll be schemed out at some point by DCs because he does not have an NFL arm and is an average athlete.       

Not for nothing but isn't that what pretty much what every so called expert said about Tom "he makes me wanna puke" Brady? I'm not saying the guy is the next TB, in fact i would hope he isn't the next TB and partakes in cheating scandals and what not. But it is what was said about him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.