BROCK PURDY: for real or fools gold ?

Italian Bills

Yesterday was the first time I have watched him play, and I just was not impressed. No zip on his passes, and if the guy wasn’t wide open he couldn’t complete a pass to him. He also panicked several times as he was scrambling around, giving him virtually no shot to make a play. I’m not sure if this happens every game or if he was just off, but he just seemed very meh to me.

That being said, his scrambling did lead to a couple of touchdowns and he had several completions when his guys were wide open. Can he bring the team back when they are down 10+ points? To me that’s the question 

I actually remember him at Iowa State. They were rarely on television but I remember the game and he sort of wet the bed after a ton of early broadcast hype. Then he fell off the radar. Anyone know if he was injured or did he decline?  When they said he was Mr Irrelevant I thought to myself ‘oh yeah, I remember that kid’! 

He looks good to me.

He gets rushed, he escapes.

There was a throw in the first quarter to Aiyuk over a linebacker that hit him in stride.

Nervous backups can’t complete passes, they checkdown, they throw interception, hold the ball and take sacks. 

Purdy just makes plays and is more mobile. They’re better with him than Jimmy G.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

7 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

He looks good to me.

There was a throw in the first quarter to Aiyuk over a linebacker that hit him in stride.

Nervous backups can’t complete passes, they checkdown, they throw interception, hold the ball and take sacks. 

Purdy just makes plays and is more mobile. They’re better with him than Jimmy G.

the issue is their qb1 is Trey lance not jimmy g 

It’ll be interesting to see how much he has to do to get an actual shot at the job. he’s winning but not showcasing elite tools in the bits I’ve watched. 

im not a big lance guy either but they invested big. 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

He looks good to me.

"Over a linebacker" makes it sound harder than it was. Fred Warner was sucked in DEEP to stop the run. He was nowhere near the ball. Aiyuk was wide open. That's what CMC has done for them.

At the risk of making this an Edmunds thread, that's one play after which I immediately thought Tremaine would probably be roasted by some fans here if that was him. But it was Fred Warner, who is regarded as one of the best, if not the best LB in the league.

• Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

"Over a linebacker" makes it sound harder than it was. Fred Warner was sucked in DEEP to stop the run. He was nowhere near the ball. Aiyuk was wide open. That's what CMC has done for them.

At the risk of making this an Edmunds thread, that's one play after which I immediately thought Tremaine would probably be roasted by some fans here if that was him. But it was Fred Warner, who is regarded as one of the best, if not the best LB in the league.

Makes sense, if Fred Warner played for the Seahawks.

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

the issue is their qb1 is Trey lance not jimmy g 

It’ll be interesting to see how much he has to do to get an actual shot at the job. he’s winning but not showcasing elite tools in the bits I’ve watched. 

im not a big lance guy either but they invested big. 

I think Lance is done.  He’s played one season of division 1-AA football and that was in 2019.  He’s played almost no live football since then and he’s coming off a serious injury.

25 minutes ago, mannc said:

I think Lance is done.  He’s played one season of division 1-AA football and that was in 2019.  He’s played almost no live football since then and he’s coming off a serious injury.

which if they think he’s scratched out would leave them looking to add even another qb on top? You can’t go into the off-season with Purdy as your unquestioned QB1

Edited by NoSaint

Just now, NoSaint said:

You can’t go into the off-season with Purdue as your unquestioned QB1

Why not, especially if he leads the Niners deep into the playoffs, which seems likely?  I’m not saying Lance won’t be on the roster next year; I just don’t think he’ll ever be a starting QB.

1 hour ago, Italian Bills said:

Ok… maybe it could seem exaggerated, but i really hate Brock Purdy. 

I hate the fact that people talk about him like the next Tom Brady. 

Will this Purdy circus-bandwagon end soon or will i have to tolerate this long time ? 

Can’t stand his fake-baby face any longer… and his raucous voice while at the snap count. 

🤷

Purdy good story imo. San Fran is a stacked team with great coaching, no wonder all 3 (completely different) QBs flourished in the system.

Give the kid some credit. He has not folded to the pressure of a super bowl run, less than a year after being the last pick in the draft. He may not be elite, maybe ever, but he's playing well now and deserves the kind words he gets from the talking heads.

And he's in the NFC. So no direct conflict. Weird person to hate right now. But people hate Josh too, so........

18 minutes ago, mannc said:

Why not, especially if he leads the Niners deep into the playoffs, which seems likely?  I’m not saying Lance won’t be on the roster next year; I just don’t think he’ll ever be a starting QB.

When Lance was upset because SF re-signed JimG, he nailed his own coffin shut. This league does not tolerate bad teammates very well, nor his wimpy mentality.

Not to mention he was severely outplayed by a pedestrian Garropollo and Mr Irrelevant.

Either way I expect an open competition between Lance and Purdy next year, so Lance better buck the ***** up and ball out or he's about to be a backup.

3 minutes ago, Heavy Kevi said:

When Lance was upset because SF re-signed JimG, he nailed his own coffin shut. This league does not tolerate bad teammates very well, nor his wimpy mentality.

Not to mention he was severely outplayed by a pedestrian Garropollo and Mr Irrelevant.

Either way I expect an open competition between Lance and Purdy next year, so Lance better buck the ***** up and ball out or he's about to be a backup.

I don’t even think it will be an open competition. Unless he completely falls apart next week, I think Purdy goes into camp as the solid starter.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Heavy Kevi said:

🤷

Purdy good story imo. San Fran is a stacked team with great coaching, no wonder all 3 (completely different) QBs flourished in the system.

Give the kid some credit. He has not folded to the pressure of a super bowl run, less than a year after being the last pick in the draft. He may not be elite, maybe ever, but he's playing well now and deserves the kind words he gets from the talking heads.

And he's in the NFC. So no direct conflict. Weird person to hate right now. But people hate Josh too, so........

Kurt Warner was an UDFA who got some experience playing fast in arena ball.

Ryan Leaf was a 1st round can't miss pick.

Draft pick (or does not necessarily equal talent or ability to be able to adapt to NFL.

11 minutes ago, mannc said:

I don’t even think it will be an open competition. Unless he completely falls apart next week, I think Purdy goes into camp as the solid starter.

I could see this being the case.

But as a principle if a starter loses his job because of injury, you should give him a chance to earn the job back imo.

But you may be right.

Purdy is the player that has the perfect offensive structure allowing him to succeed. He’s got an innovative play caller that  has been successful with other QBs. His O-line and skill players are arguably the best in the NFL. Have you noticed that he sits back there and crossers are running wide open and they have the speed to create big chunk plays from 15 yard underneath throws. Deebo, McCaffrey, Ayuk, Kittle and that O-line along with Shannahan make Purdy a mobile ,weak arm QB who throws behind most receivers, someone who can win a SB. A great defense doesn’t hurt either.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

He looks good to me.

💯

I watch just about every niner game and the kid has what it takes to lead an nfl team.  He played a ton of snaps in college.  His college experience + shanahans offense = just enough.  He won’t wow you with arm strength or mobility but he has just enough of both to beat you either way. He understands where to go with the ball and isn’t scared by defenders in his face. He’s pretty calm, cool and collected.  He won’t win many game, if any, on his own.  He’s the anti Josh Allen, but he’s a nice system qb that isn’t afraid to throw the big pass.  

If I’m lynch, I’d see what I can get for Lance before he spends another year on the sideline NOT playing football. In the last 3 seasons (2020 ncaa, 21/22 nfl) the kid has gone: 71-152 946 yards 7 TDs 4 Ints.  He never really learned how to play QB in college and probably won’t get the chance in SF either.  His career as an NFL starting QB could be over already.

Edited by NewEra
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Dude is 7-0, how much more *****in' real do you want?  It hilarious how many keep predicting that this kid will melt down any minute.  He's the goods.

I’d like to see a full season but what he’s done is pretty impressive. However, to your point, if Purdy stepped in and did this for the Bills pre JA, Bills fans would be naming schools after this guy 😂 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Dude is 7-0, how much more *****in' real do you want?  It hilarious how many keep predicting that this kid will melt down any minute.  He's the goods.

People are just pissed that the 49ers threw a dart blindfolded and hit a bullseye. We had to wait 20 years, trade up and then develop our QB. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Heavy Kevi said:

I could see this being the case.

But as a principle if a starter loses his job because of injury, you should give him a chance to earn the job back imo.

But you may be right.

Which "starter"?  Jimmy G won't be around next year.  Lance is another backup QB (lasted 2 games).

6 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Give him another 70 starts and he WILL BE EXPOSED!!

He looked a lot better than Herbert.  That guy hits more helmets than receivers.  He must have gotten high at halftime.  What a dud.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Purdy seems to have a lot of potential.

But based on what I saw last night, Seattle made it very easy for him. Purdy was throwing to wide open receivers all night. Not to mention his weapons are some of the best playmakers in the league.

Also, Seattle is terrible, probably the worst playoff team this year. They lost to Atlanta, Nee Orleans, Vegas and Carolina. Lost 3 of last 5 games!

Last nights… oh look at Purdy should fall on deaf ears!!!  9ers still potentially have to go through Minnesota and Philadelphia. Both we be much better tests. 

Purdy is obviously a decent QB.  His supporting cast is crazy talented though.  We will see what happens in the coming weeks. It reminds me a little of Tom Brady.  He's being asked to be a game manager.  Hell, Trent Dilfer win a Super Bowl.  

On 12/12/2022 at 6:09 PM, Italian Bills said:

Yesterday he had another great game, it seem he has been in control all the game, very accurate and more. 

You that know the game much more than me, what’s your take on this ? 

If he’s for real the 49ers can have a serious shot to the SB. 

With the talent around him on O they stand a great shot of not only making the SB but winning it. 

3 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

With the talent around him on O they stand a great shot of not only making the SB but winning it. 

Talent and Shanny. He seems to be able to elevate every QB he works with. I think Purdy’s future is as a solid backup in SF, but that’s his ceiling. Still, he could Nick Foles the 9ers to a SB this year.

People always feel threatened and want to discredit whenever a potentially good QB comes out of the blue. Hats off to Purdy, I have zero ill will towards a 3rd stringer getting his shot and making the absolute most of it. It’s the American dream. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Dude is 7-0, how much more *****in' real do you want?  It's hilarious how many keep predicting that this kid will melt down any minute.  He's the goods.

He's another great example of how poorly NFL teams scout, and why I have said for the last 20 years that any team without a QB (Like the Bills back then) should be getting a new one every frigging year (or more!) until they find one.  Just take one from somewhere.

Maybe he'll turn out to be Brock Purdy.

Or Tom Brady.

or Josh Allen.

2 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

People always feel threatened and want to discredit whenever a potentially good QB comes out of the blue. Hats off to Purdy, I have zero ill will towards a 3rd stringer getting his shot and making the absolute most of it. It’s the American dream. 

LOL; folks at this forum are threatened and for some reason feel a need to attack ANY and ALL QBs around the league not named Josh Allen.  It's some sort of odd, primitive, defense mechanism.  Kind of a mother hen thing I think.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Talent and Shanny. He seems to be able to elevate every QB he works with. I think Purdy’s future is as a solid backup in SF, but that’s his ceiling. Still, he could Nick Foles the 9ers to a SB this year.

I watched a fair bit of 3 games with Purdy and was pleasantly surprised too see him have very good poise, making quick decisions and being largely accurate. I don't see why several here are disliking him. He has done very well this season and has the best results of any rookie QB this season. We should be happy to see a good talent enter the league. 

Except against the Bills. If he were to beat the Bills in the Superbowl, I will change my opinion of that little sh** in a hurry. 😁

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.