Terrel Bernard was absolutely abused yesterday

TwistofFate

39 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Elam may be the easiest CB to throw against in the league right now.  He's giving up easy completions at will.  He may well be good someday but right now he's not playing well.

Buffalo plays a lot of palms cover 2/4, so you do give up a lot of stuff underneath.  It takes time to learn how to time disrupting the catch point, when to bail vs. press, all that kinds of stuff.  They had like 150 yards passing so i can't really complain too much about him.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BillsShredder83 said:

"Cook is useless." Watch the games and not the stat sheet. If you can't see what he brings to the table, and what his skillset can and will do for this offense, you can't be helped. Crazy.

I can get on board with the 'we should've drafted x' to an extent. But to write off 2 rookies as worthless is stupid. Which 2nd and 3rd rounders from the bottom of the draft order are making big contributions to their team?

Can and will is not does.  That’s the problem. 

58 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Buffalo plays a lot of palms cover 2/4, so you do give up a lot of stuff underneath.  It takes time to learn how to time disrupting the catch point, when to bail vs. press, all that kinds of stuff.  They had like 150 yards passing so i can't really complain too much about him.  

I get it but it’s not THAT soft.  On 3rd and 3 he gives up 4, on 3rd and 7 he gives up 8, on 3rd and 12… you get the idea.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I get it but it’s not THAT soft.  On 3rd and 3 he gives up 4, on 3rd and 7 he gives up 8, on 3rd and 12… you get the idea.

I wonder if he's being coached to play so far off receivers because he had that issue of being too handsy that we saw in preseason. 

4 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

Finally got a chance to review the game from yesterday with a clear head and the most blatant problem on defense was Bernard.  He was attacked and abused by the Jets all day long in both the passing game and run game.

He was frequently out of position, over running plays, losing containment and outright missing tackles.  I understand he is a rookie, but my god. 

Milano is our best backer by far, pray he's back soon.

Milano, Miller, and Tre White are the elite blue chip players of this defense and we need all 3 going into the playoffs. I’m praying this team gets healthy soon 

4 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

I still have no idea why he played over Dodson.  It's not like our 2 LBs are specialized.  The new spots are pretty free flowing.

It's pretty apparent, at least to me McD underestimated the Jets and their D. He probably thought he could roll out his "C" team and get the win. 

Edited by billsbackto81
  • Disagree 1

9 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I'll tell you another guy who got absolutely abused yesterday......

Daquan Johnson

Time to send him to the PS and get Marlowe in there.

Is this some love child from our back up safety tandem? Damar and Jaquan?

If you mean what I think you mean (Jaquan), I could not agree more. Probably missed 5 tackles cleanly. 

• Haha (+1) 2

Regarding the Lb position:

Beane is really in a tight spot here. 

Edmunds (Free agent)

Milano (locked up)

Bernard (rookie)

Spector (rookie)

Dodson (RFA)

If they don’t re-sign edmunds, could you realistically see this defense going into 2022 with the undersized Milano and either bernard/Spector as a starter. Bernard/Milano combo would be so light. As much as I don’t think they should, I think they’re doing to find a way to keep Edmunds around 

5 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

Finally got a chance to review the game from yesterday with a clear head and the most blatant problem on defense was Bernard.  He was attacked and abused by the Jets all day long in both the passing game and run game.

He was frequently out of position, over running plays, losing containment and outright missing tackles.  I understand he is a rookie, but my god. 

Milano is our best backer by far, pray he's back soon.

• Agree 1

Almost like when you become elite - you’re better off trading these worthless high round picks for established players instead of hoping you hit on picks 30 and 60.

Trade back at the draft.  Lol.  We’re freaking contenders with THE roster.  You strike.  Trading a 2023 first rounder and say a 2024 2nd rounder - you aren’t mortgaging the future doing that.  Heck you might end up trading Davis for picks like that anyway.  

That or just draft good players.  

4 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

Not sure what they were watching. Nolan is dead on. 

Why because he agrees with you?

4 hours ago, Buffalo619 said:

We can’t have both of our starting linebackers frequently out of position, over running plays, losing containment and outright missing tackles and expect to be successful. Milano, our leader should have played, we need him. 

Was he not injured? I have seen the same bull#### from you and another post were you think that injured players should go out there and play

Shakir’s been good but needs to be utilised more. Also impressed with Benford. Cook and Elam decent, especially the latter considering the lack of first choice players around him at times. Bernard was poor but has time to grow. Haven’t seen enough from Spector to judge but late round picks can be down to luck rather than judgement anyway.

11 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Dodson is good. Every chance he’s gotten to play he’s impressed me. I don’t know why he never sees the field 

I was very surprised he did not play in place of Milano on Sunday. And even more so after seeing Bernard's play. I know it's technically a different position, but we needed a thumper in that role Sunday and Bernard is not that type of player. Dodson is, and he has looked good when called upon. I'm still perplexed.

• Agree 1

I think "abused" is an exaggeration. But he had some struggles, no question.  

7 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I think "well" is overstating but he was what you expect from a rookie 3rd rounder making his first start. Some nice plays, some struggles. Otherwise I agree with their point re. the run game. It had nothing to do with being in nickel. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Airseven said:

Bernard is truly a cockeyed draft pick. And coming after Cook really gutted that class. Benford saved some respectability.

Completely agree, he doesn’t have the physical tools to be mor than a 5th round pick, I’ll never understand that one.

• Like (+1) 1

I have questions. I'm no x's and o's guy but when 40 is rushing the passer and it's a running play who's responsibilty is it to cover his spot? Several times I saw 40 getting a guided tour past the QB and the run going to where he was. It's like "setting the edge" is not something they do?????

13 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Don't really care, the Bills lost by 3

this one is on Josh

I agree with you, as does Josh.  The first pick cost us at least 3.  The second pick gave them 7.  Bernard is a rookie who had a bad game.  Combine that with Johnson who was horrible, and no Milano....it's no wonder the Jets were running like crazy.  

We've had the best safety tandem in the league for years.  Missing one hurts.  Missing both reveals a major weakness.  Maybe Marlow will catch up.  He was a good backup, and signed with Detroit to become a starter.  I like him.  

Josh and Dorsey will review the film, find out what's going on out there, who's getting open, and diversify.  They can march up and down the field if they choose the open, shorter routes.  

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I didn't focus solely on Bernard the entire game but the plays that I did he played well. Multiple run stops for no gain. Didn't focus on him in coverage because of camera angles but against the run he was solid. 

I thought he was in the right spot, but got trucked some.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think "abused" is an exaggeration. But he had some struggles, no question.  

I think "well" is overstating but he was what you expect from a rookie 3rd rounder making his first start. Some nice plays, some struggles. Otherwise I agree with their point re. the run game. It had nothing to do with being in nickel. 

I can't disagree with either point.  He had some struggles.  McDermott said something like "he had the game you'd expect for a rookie making his first start" and "some plays he'd like back" but overall, he did reasonably.  I kind of wonder if that's the scale Cover1 is using to say "well".

Jaquan Johnson disappointed.

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

Can and will is not does.  That’s the problem. 

That's a ridiculous argument when used about rookies. They're nearly all about can and will and not does. Particularly after the first round or so, but overall that's the way it goes.

13 hours ago, pigpen65 said:

When Edmunds is out it makes no difference. Defense looks the same. When Milano is out the defense looks completely inept. 

When either guy is out it hurts.

The defense, without Milano, was good this week. They weren't the problem.

And while Dodson plays OK, when Edmunds is out, the defense misses him. The 2021 Jets game when the Jets got about  their season average in points and about 50 yards more than their average per game, the 2021 Colts debacle and the 2020 Miami game, all missed by Tremaine are all good examples of that.

4 hours ago, Airseven said:

Bernard is truly a cockeyed draft pick. And coming after Cook really gutted that class. Benford saved some respectability.

Ridiculous.

Way way way too early to have even an educated opinion about the upside these guys might have. And Cook has been decent.

So far this class looks solid, with Elam and Benford looking good, Shakir looking like a really good bargain and Cook looking OK and the others too early to have much of an opinion on.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.