Week 6: Bills at CHIEFS 10/16 4:25pm

YoloinOhio

4 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Josh beat KC (on the road) in the regular season by a wide margin with a good performance. Beating KC in the regular season won’t expel the questions.

Josh simply has to get it done in the playoffs in order to silence any doubt. Similar to how Peyton Manning was great and broke all the records but had the rep that he couldn’t win the big games. 

I think KC and Philly are the only teams with rosters remotely competitive to the Bills so it will be interesting to see how the Bills stack up against the best roster they likely will play all year. 

There are only 3 key players (that are not on IR) that will be in doubt injury wise. Knox, Poyer and Edumonds. I think at least 1-2 will play which leaves the team with a reasonable amount of injuries and a roster that’s pretty close to full force.

I think this is the game the Dline has to show up and dominate. This is among the top 3 Olines in the NFL. The Chiefs invested a lot into that unit both with big contracts and draft picks. 

The Bills Dline has added Von a huge free agency addition and has seen a pair of first round picks and a pair of second round picks invested into it and they brought back Shaq and Phillips for depth and brought in on moderate contracts D Jones and Settle to get bigger up the middle and more stout.

The Dline needs to show up and show out in this game.

Chiefs allow a lot of pressures...top 10 in the NFL. Need to make Mahomes have happy feet

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Hope to see us get more creative with some of our 3rd down (obvious passing situation) packages this game...it's always a balancing act of whether to blitz Mahomes, and Frazier/McD have elected to not blitz historically.  But other ways to simulate/generate pressure with 4 man rushes:

1. Nascar/Speed fronts: we've been deploying these here and there already.  Moving Groot or Boogie to the 3T, and getting an extra DE on the field.

2. Sugar/LB a-gap pressure looks: this used to be a staple, and we still occasionally do it, but far less often.  Maybe the desire to do this decreased since we rarely send Milano or Edmunds against Pat.  But I'd like to see us get creative...more on this below.

3. 3-2-6 dime package: we NEVER run dime, so not expecting much of this.  But nonetheless, would like to see us try.  We actually deployed this 2-3x against them in the divisional round.  Siran Neal as our dime, and run a "sugar"/creep look with our front 6...try to confuse the line but ultimately rush our DT/2 DEs/ and either Milano/Edmunds or Neal/Taron.  Bucs ran this defense in the super bowl, as well as Raiders a few times on MNF.

Bottom line, this isn't to get away from our bread/butter completely, which is line up our front 4 and let them get after it/while mixing coverage looks behind.  But it's just like offense, trying to stay balanced/present the threat of running.  This is similar, present the threat of blitzes and rush 4 in different ways.  Frazier has been at adapting this year, I'm sure he'll be prepared.

• Like (+1) 5

10 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

I disagree. We have to sack him. Just pressure alone does not really work on him. 

You have to hit him hard. Guarantee that Josh will take some shots from this punk-ass dirty team, and the Bills need to return the favor.

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

Ok.  Now think.  The Buffalo Bills, named after Bill Cody, could come up for discussion next.  

ok...you asked...lol...here we go. I Iove this question. Let's get into it:

For the love of Football Gods i have explained this many times before on multiple sites and threads.

The current team franchise is not named after Buffalo Bill Cody. It is named after the previous franchise from Buffalo that played in the defunct All American Football Conference. (AAFC)

Newspaper articles clearly stated Wilson had a name the team contest but instead decided on his own to adopt the nickname of the old AAFC franchise. "Bills"

Edited by cba fan
  • Eyeroll 1

8 minutes ago, cba fan said:

For the love of Football Gods i have explained this many times before on multiple sites and threads.

The current team franchise is not named after Buffalo Bill Cody. It is named after the previous franchise from Buffalo that played in the defunct All American Football Conference. (AAFC)

Newspaper articles clearly stated Wilson had a name the team contest but instead decided on his own to adopt the nickname of the old AAFC franchise. "Bills"

I was under the impression the first team was, however, named after Buffalo Bill? 

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/important-dates-in-bills-history-how-the-bills-got-their-name-16401977

1 hour ago, cba fan said:

Logo of the original Buffalo Bills of the All American Football Conference (predates the AFL Buffalo Bills) is below. 

You are wrong.  They were the Buffalo Bison in 1946 and then switched to Bills and remained Bills up thru 1949.  The AAFC dissolved with some teams joining the NFL, but not Buffalo.  The AFL Bills were started by Wilson and their first season was 1960. The original AFL logo and Marketing also featured Bill Cody.  The logo and poster below is from the AAFC Bills.  Proof of the name Bills and the Cody logo from AAFC.  Which carried on to early AFL days.  

BE992C4D-C3C1-45C1-ADC6-CF3706BE0BC1.jpeg.5d99713e7c1e11bc63560fe3fe5f6cb3.jpeg

image.jpeg.cca3613ec7d472ff8dc2aec685f171b2.jpeg

And below, 1962 AFL Bills Program and Cody again included.  I think he disappeared by the mid 1960’s. 

image.jpeg.0a22377e689962479f116db8f059265c.jpeg

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Chiefs allow a lot of pressures...top 10 in the NFL. Need to make Mahomes have happy feet

Even with that pressure, the Chiefs are the top scoring offense in the NFL. That just tells you how good Mahomes is with mediocre receivers.  

1 hour ago, RichRiderBills said:

I disagree. We have to sack him. Just pressure alone does not really work on him. 

Absolutely agree! The stats show you are correct. Despite the pressure the Chiefs score. 

Last year's playoff game the Bills pressured Mohames and he still couldn't be stopped. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Even with that pressure, the Chiefs are the top scoring offense in the NFL. That just tells you how good Mahomes is with mediocre receivers.  

That because they've played in great weather this year....

• Week 1 - Dome

• Week 2 - At KC(Night Game)

• Week 3 - Dome

• Week 4 - At Tampa(Night Game)

• Week 5 - At KC(Night Game)

They haven't even had to play in any type of heat as all their games are either in a Dome or played at night. Bet they didn't have to play in scorching heat or a remnants of a hurricane or even 20+ MPH swirling winds. Give us their weather and I'd bet we'd be averaging at least a tuddy more per game.

• Dislike 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

No way this game lives up to the hype, right?

I doubt it. These are two completely different teams from what we saw in the divisional round. I think the talent level of the Chiefs and Bills went in opposite directions in the offseason. I'm not expecting another shootout. I think we either pull away from them by the end of the 3rd quarter, or our offense is disappointingly sluggish and we get pulled into a tight but relatively low scoring ball game.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I doubt it. These are two completely different teams from what we saw in the divisional round. I think the talent level of the Chiefs and Bills went in opposite directions in the offseason. I'm not expecting another shootout. I think we either pull away from them by the end of the 3rd quarter, or our offense is disappointingly sluggish and we get pulled into a tight but relatively low scoring ball game.

I can kind of see this too, but it's the Chiefs and Mahomes so you just can't say they won't find a way to make it into a shoot out.

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

That because they've played in great weather this year....

• Week 1 - Dome

• Week 2 - At KC(Night Game)

• Week 3 - Dome

• Week 4 - At Tampa(Night Game)

• Week 5 - At KC(Night Game)

They haven't even had to play in any type of heat as all their games are either in a Dome or played at night. Bet they didn't have to play in scorching heat or a remnants of a hurricane or even 20+ MPH swirling winds. Give us their weather and I'd bet we'd be averaging at least a tuddy more per game.

Talk about grasping at straws. Wow. 

• Disagree 1

14 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I can kind of see this too, but it's the Chiefs and Mahomes so you just can't say they won't find a way to make it into a shoot out.

McDermott thrives against one dimensional offenses. The Chiefs under Mahomes have never been able to run the ball consistently but having Hill and Kelce on the field at the same time made them two dimensional in a different way. Now their whole offense is basically just about methodically moving the ball through the air and scoring on goal to go situations. Obviously having Mahomes and Kelce makes that a more than viable strategy. But I think without the fear of Hill beating us deep, combined with a much improved front 4, we are going to have more freedom to take easy opportunities away from them. I think if we lose this game it will be something like 24-21 and the main talking point will be that our offense didn't pull its weight against an average defense. If Allen and our offense plays to their potential I really believe we beat them by 10+ points.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2

Can the Bills revamped D line get to Mahomes.  That's it.  That's why we brought in who we've brought in up front.  From the double dip DE draft in 21, to all new DTs sans Oliver, and now Von.  

That to me is where this game will be decided.  We'll score.  But if Mahomes has time I'm a bit worried about the secondary - no there isn't Hill to be concerned about - but they can dink and dunk their way and it showed Monday vs a team with a good pass rush.  

They had 29 first downs against the Raiders.  Mahomes threw it 43 times and still didn't get to 300 yards.  Their 2 longest completions were a 36 and 23 yard catch and run.  That's it.

The Raiders game turned when the Chiefs figured out they couldn't hold up against Crosby - Mahomes had to get rid of it quicker - and timely runs with success - McKinnon is so f..ing annoying.   

It's a simple game.  Take away their strength - give them nothing underneath make them take deep shots to MVS and Hardman there is zero reason to be on our heels and tepid because Hill isn’t there to run by you anymore - and if they do beat you deep so what then we get the ball back quicker.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

5 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Did you look that up or guesstimate by eye?  Very impressed if the latter....Oliver played 33% of the snaps.  Phillips 28%

I hope Ed being listed as practicing in "Full" this week is a sign of better things to come vs. KC

I was disappointed by the pass rush vs. the Steelers, and I hope it was because we were up by 3 scores midway through the 2nd Q and it looked like the only team stopping the Bills was the Bills.

I thought Pittsburgh was dialing quick passes.  Not much time for a pass rush.  The ball was out quick most of the night iirc

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Give us their weather and I'd bet we'd be averaging at least a tuddy more per game.

I used to worry that this affected our FA offense attraction. Stats matter to these FA or contract yr guys. Is it true now?

not that he cares but I mean Josh would rank EVEN higher. 

6 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Can the Bills revamped D line get to Mahomes.  That's it.  That's why we brought in who we've brought in up front.  From the double dip DE draft in 21, to all new DTs sans Oliver, and now Von.  

That to me is where this game will be decided.  We'll score.  But if Mahomes has time I'm a bit worried about the secondary - no there isn't Hill to be concerned about - but they can dink and dunk their way and it showed Monday vs a team with a good pass rush.  

They had 29 first downs against the Raiders.  Mahomes threw it 43 times and still didn't get to 300 yards.  Their 2 longest completions were a 36 and 23 yard catch and run.  That's it.

The Raiders game turned when the Chiefs figured out they couldn't hold up against Crosby - Mahomes had to get rid of it quicker - and timely runs with success - McKinnon is so f..ing annoying.   

It's a simple game.  Take away their strength - give them nothing underneath make them take deep shots to MVS and Hardman there is zero reason to be on our heels and tepid because Hill isn’t there to run by you anymore - and if they do beat you deep so what then we get the ball back quicker.  

The Chiefs don’t really throw the ball downfield anymore.  They are a dink and dunk team that’s going to try to put together 15-play drives.  The problem is that Mahomes is really good at that sort of football and it’s almost impossible to sack him when he’s just looking to get it out quickly in the short passing game. That could change of course if the Bills get out to a big lead, but I don’t think they will give the Bills’ pass rush time to get home very often.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

The Chiefs don’t really throw the ball downfield anymore.  They are a dink and dunk team that’s going to try to put together 15-play drives.  The problem is that Mahomes is really good at that sort of football and it’s almost impossible to sack him when he’s just looking to get it out quickly in the short passing game. That could change of course if the Bills get out to a big lead, but I don’t think they will give the Bills’ pass rush time to get home very often.

This game is the reason we got Von. Be it Miller or someone else we need to get after Mahomes with a 4 man rush. Make him uncomfortable. If necessary sweep the leg like Sensi Kreese says :)

keep seeing a lot about how banged up the chiefs secondary is

mcduffie maybe ready to play this weekend despite being on IR since week 1 with a hamstring. 

L-CB fenton is banged up w a hamstring and not practicing daily (cb's with a hammy hurt are no beuno)

fenton's backup CB Lammons has an injured hip and not practicing fully

backup safety cook has a concussion

Frank Clark is hurting 

this after their depth DE Wharton tore his ACL

Their defense is banged up getting ready to face a warp speed offense that wears teams down.... it'll be interesting.

on offense RG Trey Smith is hurting - and it's a strong OL so i'm curious what we can do on @ DL

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

keep seeing a lot about how banged up the chiefs secondary is

mcduffie maybe ready to play this weekend despite being on IR since week 1 with a hamstring. 

L-CB fenton is banged up w a hamstring and not practicing daily (cb's with a hammy hurt are no beuno)

fenton's backup CB Lammons has an injured hip and not practicing fully

backup safety cook has a concussion

Frank Clark is hurting 

this after their depth DE Wharton tore his ACL

Their defense is banged up getting ready to face a warp speed offense that wears teams down.... it'll be interesting.

on offense RG Trey Smith is hurting - and it's a strong OL so i'm curious what we can do on @ DL

And Willie Gay is on the last week of his suspension.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Jistafan said:

Kelce is Maholmes best weapon. Curious how Frazier slows him down?

The Raiders didn't even cover him on 3 of 4 TD's.  I don't know why it's so hard to have someone just jam him at the line for a second to derail the route....

1 minute ago, Boyst62 said:

he did just fine the last few years

Doesn't Kelce have like 5 TD's in the last 2-3 games against us? 

8 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

The Raiders didn't even cover him on 3 of 4 TD's.  I don't know why it's so hard to have someone just jam him at the line for a second to derail the route....

Doesn't Kelce have like 5 TD's in the last 2-3 games against us? 

6 TD's in 4 games. but so? Mahomes is going to score and Kelce is going to be the one scoring.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.