Week 6: Bills at CHIEFS 10/16 4:25pm

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, 97bills said:

Your right do whatever it takes to win in the playoffs but I still rather have a running game. I want Allen around for 15 more years and the older he gets those hits will hurt a lot more. 

The Bills believe their short passing game is their running game. It sort of is, but obviously it doesn't work clock on incompletions.  I agree though, we need some type of a running game to keep our QB healthy. 

3 minutes ago, 97bills said:

Your right do whatever it takes to win in the playoffs but I still rather have a running game. I want Allen around for 15 more years and the older he gets those hits will hurt a lot more. 

I’d rather have a running game too….but we can win the super bowl with Josh playing hero ball.  i just don’t know if we’re going to be able to develop one.  I believe going with 6 OL may be our only hope.  

Our guard play has just been horrendous.  I’m not so eager to see how Saffold looks against Jones.  

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 10/10/2022 at 5:15 PM, Big Turk said:

Please don't try to force them to change it if they are going to change it to anything similar to the "Commanders" or the "Guardians"

What about something less offensive like Kansas City Tribal Leaders?

13 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’d rather have a running game too….but we can win the super bowl with Josh playing hero ball.  i just don’t know if we’re going to be able to develop one.  I believe going with 6 OL may be our only hope.  

Our guard play has just been horrendous.  I’m not so eager to see how Saffold looks against Jones.  

Seems like gap pin and pull seems like the best for Bills running backs as of right now run game.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, NewEra said:

No..it’s especially sustainable in the playoffs.  Josh will be our running game in the playoffs. He should be.  He’s a monster and is better than running backs.  In the regular season, it may not be sustainable because it’s 17.  Over the course of 3-4 playoff games….. it’s likely sustainable imo.  We just have to get him to the playoffs healthy.  

This is what's going to happen once December hits. Which is what everyone of us should want because when Josh runs early, this offense goes from hard to defend to almost impossible.

One of the reasons people say we don't have a running game is.....we just don't call many running plays. Singletary, Moss & Cook have averaged ~4.7 yards per carry this year, but only have 77 attempts combined. There's 11 RBs that have that many carries or more. Of those 11 RBs, Henry(3.9), Mixon(3.1) & Elliott(3.8) have averages that are sub 4.0 yards per attempt. Yet their teams chose to keep handing them the ball. When it comes to running we seem to have the same offensive philosophy as the Pats*** did when they had Brady(excluding his last few years).

Besides Josh has been better, for the most part, of not taking big hits the last couple of games when running. Let's face it, he's the ultimate competitor and he's going to keep playing this way until he wins a title. Once that happens I think maybe he'll become more selective on when to run.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

No..it’s especially sustainable in the playoffs.  Josh will be our running game in the playoffs. He should be.  He’s a monster and is better than running backs.  In the regular season, it may not be sustainable because it’s 17.  Over the course of 3-4 playoff games….. it’s likely sustainable imo.  We just have to get him to the playoffs healthy.  

There is this narrative that goes around about "running quarterbacks," and how unsustainable it is. (Usually, it seems to be the fans of teams with decidedly non-mobile QBs who like to talk about this.)

I think it's a myth. Think of the most mobile QBs in the league today-- guys who you think might take off running--  and you think of Jackson, Allen, Mahomes, Trey Lance. Then look at the quarterback injuries so far this season: Carson Wentz, Mac & Cheese Jones, Brian Hoyer, Tua, Bridgewater, Jamais Winston, Zack Wilson, Tyrod Taylor, Dak Prescott, Russel Wilson, Trey Lance.

The most mobile QBs to sustain injury so far this season are probably Russel Wilson, and Trey Lance. And, I believe the only one that occurred during a designed run was Trey Lance. I think it's far more likely a QB suffers an injury in the pocket, and I think that the lesser mobile QBs would probably fare worse in that situation. I don't have any stats to back this up. Just my thoughts on the subject, but maybe I'm wrong. I often am...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I too like Cowheard and he's right. He's a huge Allen fan but he rightfully identifies the Bills biggest flaw in closing out close games. Our run game has yet to be established and we ask JA to do 95% of the heavy lifting. It's just not sustainable. Especially in the playoffs. 

Josh has 39% of the Bills rushing yards so far this year. It was 47% in the playoffs last year and they still managed to put 83 points in 2 games.

6 hours ago, cba fan said:

ok, but if Bills lose Sunday then KC would need to lose two more games than Bills the rest of the way for Bills to get home field back. Not likely.

Just ignore him. He keeps parroting they “what-about-isms” from last year. He conveniently leaves out the fact that the Bills lost to the number one seed Titans. 

Right now it is Buffalo and KC a mile ahead of the AFC. Until that changes this game is for all the marbles. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Bills2022 said:

Bills are just a better team than the Chiefs.  There really is no excuse for the Bills to lose this game.  If the Bills play their A game this game could get ugly. The Chiefs are not an elite team any longer.  I think the same could be said for the Bucs.  Many of us probably though the Chiefs win over the Bucs was much more impressive than it really was. Both teams are clearly a step below the Bills.

The Bills are now a heavy favorite to win the Super Bowl.  MGM has them as low as 3.25-1.  They should be too.  This is the best team in the NFL by quite a bit.

I mean it can go both ways right. Look at the Bill wins. LA looks bad, Tenn barely beat Wash and looks average, Balt is good but not great. Barely hung on to beat Cinci. Pitts just stinks. Lost to an overrated Miami team that just got smashed by the Jets. 

Yes, the Bills are the team to beat but I'm not seeing them as invincible or "moons" ahead of other teams. I don't see them being the best team by quite a bit.  It's way too early to crown them as Champions!

A win vs KC will help the Bills path. It could mean a Bills buy and home field advantage. Ita really a one game at a time scenario and focus here. Vegas isn't an indicator of who is going to win the Super Bowl. 

• Sad 1

This should be a fun game between two teams playing at a high level.  By no means, however, will winning this game exact any type of revenge from the 13 seconds loss.  No way.  The Bills will have to beat KC in the playoffs to start evening the score a bit on that heartbreak.  This is one regular season game, and winning or losing will not define the season.  Long way to go after this one.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

Man, I hate the Chiefs. This is the one game every season that actually gives me butterflies beforehand. Chiefs are the one team (besides the Bills) that are essentially impossible to stop once they get rolling.  We need to jump out early and choke them out by the mid-3rd quarter.  I don't think I can take another nailbiter against them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

We don't have to shut down Mahomes, per se.  We need to shut down Kelse.  With no Hill, Kelse has been even more of a go-to guy for PM.  We must double team him if possible, especially in the red zone.  It wouldn't hurt to gang tackle him, too.  Let him feel the pain.

• Like (+1) 1

Don't hate the Chiefs. That offense is fun to watch. Was more fun last year. However, this year I think the Bills offense is more fun to watch. What Allen is doing is truly remarkable. History is being made. This upcoming game is going to be fun to watch. Mahomes and Allen are going to put on a show. You can just see these two QBs pushing each other and shredding the record books.

Not convinced the Chiefs can hang with Buffalo this year. Just too much overall talent to deal with. I honestly think Buffalo's biggest challenge is no long KC. The Bills just have to keep grinding and keep their heads during games. I've seen some sloppiness. Don't know if it's injuries or lack of focus. Maybe it's overthinking. Whatever it is, clean it up. Stop beating themselves.

Watching the Bills offense put up 400yds of offense in one half last week was amazing. Not going to see a 98yd catch and run every week, but they were really pouring it on all throughout that half. If that is any indication, a track meet between these 2 teams, Bills win hands down.

Edited by Rockinon
  • Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, Bills2022 said:

The Bills believe their short passing game is their running game. It sort of is, but obviously it doesn't work clock on incompletions.  I agree though, we need some type of a running game to keep our QB healthy. 

It is more and bigger than that. We have seen how the lack of running or threat of running negatively affected the Bills. Think 2020 season. Without a running threat defenses can more easily prepare their defenses. I think the Bills run game will be adequate enough to keep defenses honest. Will it be enough vs the Chiefs? Who knows? I think the Bills will have designed runs for Allen thia game, have a few more RPOs, and screen passes. I also think Josh will take some shots damn field to Davis and Diggs. Wondering how will the Chiefs play Diggs and Davis. Clearly, they took Diggs out of the game and Davis burned them. Will they deploy a similar strategy? 

How do the Bills manage Jones and his pass rush? The guy is scary good and can turn around a game quickly. How in the world do they slow down Kelce? 

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, SCBills said:

And why, exactly, does a win not make us a home field lock, but a loss is a "nail in coffin"?

Whoever wins is 1.5 games up.  That's it.  There are exactly zero teams (after KC) that I do not think we can steamroll.  

It may take running the table out of the bye week, but I also think Buffalo can absolutely do it.  

Conversely, if we beat KC, I also believe KC can do the same.  

Which is why BUF/KC are on another level from everyone else.  Buffalo, mainly due to talent - Most talented team in the league in both top heavy talent and depth.  KC, talent yes, but I think with them - there's a level of mystique.  

because Bills schedule is loads harder than KC's, the rest of the way.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, cba fan said:

ok, but if Bills lose Sunday then KC would need to lose two more games than Bills the rest of the way for Bills to get home field back. Not likely.

A Bills win is not a lock for home field, but a loss is a nail in coffin. This is big to have chance at home field.

and if FG kicker is up. It's "The Shank"

In strictly mathematical terms yes. But again, the reverse was true after last years meeting in October. Neither the Bills or the Chiefs ended up the #1 seed. It’s just too soon in October to say what is “ likely” to happen in 10 more weeks of NFL football games. As fans we like to think it is, but all too often it just isn’t. If it was, we’d all be making a million dollars per year on Caesar’s. 

1 hour ago, TheBrownBear said:

Man, I hate the Chiefs. This is the one game every season that actually gives me butterflies beforehand. Chiefs are the one team (besides the Bills) that are essentially impossible to stop once they get rolling.  We need to jump out early and choke them out by the mid-3rd quarter.  I don't think I can take another nailbiter against them.

So do I. DVRs are a great thing. 

• Like (+1) 4

Ever since Tampa 2 half last year—bills can win vs ANY given team in the second half. This coaching and team have definitely figured out how to adapt and respond at half. (And Tampa/ KC/MIA just ran out of a couple minutes)

…sure would like to play KC in BUF, someday :) !

Edited by Since1981

5 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I think this is the game that the Bills injuries will really rear it's ugly head. The KC offense with Mahomes and Kelce are so dangerous. Reid will haveca great game plan to attack the Bills holes. Bill's should be able to stop the KC run. Phillips health is a big deal too. The Bills need to force KC to throw. The pass rush has to be relentless, disruptive, and (contain as much ad possible) Mahomes from running. I'd go back and look at the Tampa tape and the Cinci tape. If Fraizer sits in a bend but don't break defense the Bills will get shredded. Conversely, the same can be said for the Chiefs. Strange...

I don't see it like that at all...I think this is the game we see our team as healthy as they have been since week 1 at rams minus hyde ofcourse

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, cba fan said:

that's subjective. Jets are getting better now. Fins are tough w Tua.

Chargers suck Rams suck Broncos are not even good enough to suck etc etc........

I always go by DVOA since it takes into account many factors. Even with all these factors KC has the 6th toughest schedule while ours is 21st.

It would be very unlikely for the teams to flip flop that much where KCs would suddenly become far easier. In fact, so unlikely you'd have a better chance of being hit by lightning.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/10/2022 at 5:14 PM, EffKCChiefs said:

There is a petition out there to change KC Chiefs name and logo. I signed it. Link below.....

https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/change-the-name-and-imagery-of-the-kansas-city-chiefs-football-team/thankyou

Ok.  Now think.  The Buffalo Bills, named after Bill Cody, could come up for discussion next.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Ok.  Now think.  The Buffalo Bills, named after Bill Cody, could come up for discussion next.  

Meh. Bills should probably be the Bisons anyways. ZERO thought of their actual namesake ever, by anyone. It's all just bison imagery and iconography. And it's better that way. I don't know a ton about William Cody, but I could make some guesses at how he gained initial notoriety (killing native americans and/or native bisons, ironically), and neither of them are a good look in retrospect. So if we need to grow past that flawed legacy, cool. I don't WANT that to happen, but I'm FINE if it were to happen. 

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 2

47 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Meh. Bills should probably be the Bisons anyways. ZERO thought of their actual namesake ever, by anyone. It's all just bison imagery and iconography. And it's better that way. I don't know a ton about William Cody, but I could make some guesses at how he gained initial notoriety (killing native americans and/or native bisons, ironically), and neither of them are a good look in retrospect. So if we need to grow past that flawed legacy, cool. I don't WANT that to happen, but I'm FINE if it were to happen. 

He was a decorated soldier and famous showman. 

But I agree that today it's all about the 'imagery and iconography" (I like the phrase you used)

2 minutes ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

But I agree that today it's all about the 'imagery and iconography" (I like the phrase you used)

Losing the William Cody part of the team's branding would have almost ZERO impact on how we think about or root for the team. And it's not like you have to stop using the Shout song or other such rituals. It's just that it's kind of dumb and a bit terrible to have a decorated Bison "hunter" and Indian fighter be the namesake of a Billion-dollar team. Those were not noble pursuits, in retrospect. 

I'm not saying we NEED to do this. I don't even WANT us to. But if we did, I'm good with that, too. 

10 minutes ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

Yes, that's all he was. A decorated soldier and famous showman. Ha

I hope the bills aren't pressured to change their name because it will bring out the absolute worst in the fan base in terms of William Cody apologists.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, billsintaiwan said:

Yes, that's all he was. A decorated soldier and famous showman. Ha

I hope the bills aren't pressured to change their name because it will bring out the absolute worst in the fan base in terms of William Cody apologists.

Agreed. I do NOT want this change to even be discussed much. I don't think a large portion of the Bills fanbase could handle it. We should shut up now.

3 hours ago, cba fan said:

that's subjective. Jets are getting better now. Fins are tough w Tua.

Chargers suck Rams suck Broncos are not even good enough to suck etc etc........

Ok some brake pumping on this right here is needed. Jets are getting better because why exactly? Fully healthy with who we have that isn't on IR, neither the Dolphins or Jets are even in the same stratosphere as the Bills are. The Jets have yet to play any team that isn't terribly banged up and the Dolphins have a massive QB problem on their hands. Yes, Tua has shown good things, but the one thing that separates him from Josh and just about every other QB in the league is that he can't stay healthy. Best ability is availability applies here. I respect Tua and think he's a great kid, but if he can't take hits, what's he's done up to this point doesn't matter if his lack of consistency is attributed to his inability to stay on the field.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.