Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Cut anyone whose accused of gang raping a minor? Sure. I'll die on that hill gladly.

There is a difference between accused and being found guilty.

Put him on admin leave, best option would be to ask the commissioner to add him to the exempt list, and cut if found guilty. Though, as I said before, morally I’d happily cut him if he admitted to having unprotected sex despite being diagnosed with Chlamydia.

3 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Cut anyone whose accused of gang raping a minor? Sure. I'll die on that hill gladly.

This is a very short sighted opinion.  People are so quick to take others rights away but if it were you in this situation and you were innocent... You'd be defending the very system of law you are currently disregarding.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

A lot of this re-hashes the LA Times article (which I was finally able to get past the paywall and read)

Key new (to me) information:

Armstrong said the Bills were aware of the allegations and investigation of Araiza before the lawsuit was filed because he provided the team updates since he was retained by the punter about six weeks ago.

“Matt Araiza’s very upset about this, as you can imagine. He’s very disappointed,” Armstrong said. “But he’s going to get his day in court eventually.”

Armstrong said he’s been informed police have all but completed their criminal investigation, which will then be reviewed by the district attorney to determine whether to file charges.

So apparently the Bills have known about this for about 6 weeks, well prior to cutting Haack.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Exerpt from the article that I found interesting 

During the call, Araiza confirmed having sex with her, the lawsuit states, but when she asked him “And did we have actual sex?” he responded “This is Matt Araiza. I don’t remember anything that happened that night” and hung up.

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Is a punter really worth this?

That’s not really the question.  He is a player on the team.  If the accusations are false and management knows this but still cuts him, that is a bad look for an enterprise which needs the trust of its players.  A QB, DB, LB or any other player would wonder how the Bills would treat an allegation thrown their way.  “Just a punter”  is not a reason to cut him.

I want to be clear that I’m not saying he is innocent or guilty.  If the Bills find there is credibility to the woman’s story, they should absolutely dump him, but not because he is a punter.  They should handle all situations like this exactly the same, regardless of the position or stature of the individual player.  Personally my impression of Beane is that he is highly professional and will handle it properly.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, appoo said:

What I want to know is if the Bills knew if there was an ongoing criminal case

Reading the article sounds like the whole thing was out in the open on San Diego State campus, so can't believe the Bills

didn't know.

It could explain though why he lasted all the way till the 6th round and two other punters were picked prior.

Just now, 716er said:

No, but cutting a player on the least important position on the team who is accused is a great way to run an organization. The team and city is going to be dragged through the mud just like Cleveland deservedly was for Watson.

Your missing the human aspect of this. You cut a kid because he was accused, that will speak volumes to agents. You have to do the due diligence.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5

8 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

Califirnia is a two party consent state so the calls recorded can’t be used as evidence that should apply in civil cases too

I do believe if police coached her a defense attorney can view that as entrapment. 
This case just seems so odd on so many levels. The Bills knew at the end of July of a civil suit yet still kept him. Something here doesn’t add up.   

1 minute ago, BeastMaster said:

During the call, Araiza confirmed having sex with her, the lawsuit states, but when she asked him “And did we have actual sex?” he responded “This is Matt Araiza. I don’t remember anything that happened that night” and hung up.

That was lifted from the LAT article.

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The cops did the recording.

If the tapes aren't admissible, their description of the conversation they heard in real time is.  Wouldn't need the tapes.

that’s right. There’s also this:

“Private citizens are also allowed to utilize these exceptions in a much more limited capacity. In order to use this exception 2 circumstances must be met:

The person recording must be a part of the conversation, this essentially changes California law from an all-party consent state into a single-party consent state.

They must be recording conversations in order to gather evidence that the other party committed one of the following crime: Extortion, kidnapping, bribery, harassing phone calls, or any felony involving violence against another person. This allows you to record conversations in most instances where you feel threatened.”

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, jkirchofer said:

You have issues with court of public opinion when it comes to the accused, but have no problem when it comes to victims. "Maybe he isn't as guilty" as if any of it is ok.

You don't even know if he is guilty first of all, so stop.  Second, I did not say anything whatsoever about the victim.  But you do realize that you literally have zero qualifications here to even establish who is a victim and who is not?  You haven't done any investigation, conducted any eyewitness interviews, etc.  You read a story, and maybe like most only read a headline, and got online and decided to establish who is a victim and who is guilty. 

So don't come at me with accusations of what I have a problem, because the only thing I have problem with is people jumping to conclusions before they even know the facts.   I mean it's possible both her and Araiza are victims even.  For example, how do you know that her and Matt didn't have consensual sex earlier in the night before she was raped by the other players after Matt left?  I mean there are several eyewitnesses who said Matt wasn't even there when the alleged attack happened, including one of her own friends.  

Everyone is 100% in support of cutting him and jail time if he is guilty without hesitation.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Your missing the human aspect of this. You cut a kid because he was accused, that will speak volumes to agents. You have to do the due diligence.

You cut him and say you kept Haack because you want the veteran presence and veteran holder.

Bills knew this weeks ago. Stupid move. Laying on a sword for a punter.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

The cops did the recording.

If the tapes aren't admissible, their description of the conversation they heard in real time is.  Wouldn't need the tapes.

Does it matter?  Anyone with a legal degree know the answer?

So then he didn't admit to having sex with her.

• Agree 2

“The lawsuit states” isn’t proof, thats speculation. The next quote confirms nothing. Why not quote the part where he admits it?

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

Put him on administrative leave if you can and just send him away from the team he doesn’t need to be cut right now but he shouldn’t be around the team until resolved. 

So I agree with this I don’t know if I would immediately cut him with things so foggy on what the facts actually are but until those facts or no put him on some lists where he can be brought back after the dust settles if he is innocent

It's in lawsuit, the link to which I provided up-thread

https://timesofsandiego.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/player-suit.pdf

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The detectives will have made notes of what they heard on the calls.  

The recording doesn’t even have to be admitted. The accuser and the detectives listening can testify about the conversation. And before you all start screaming hearsay, read Rule 801(d) of Federal Evidence. I practice in Alabama, but I assume CA has similar exceptions. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

SDSU has a wild nightlife culture on campus, near-campus and throughout town.  I hope this story is not true.  It sounds bad.  The local media coverage has been very low key until today.  Mostly, the LA Times and affiliate San Diego Tribune have given this story much attention.  The university has been celebrating their brand new home stadium (in place of the former home of the SD Chargers, Qualcomm Stadium).  Now this story is blowing up locally.  Many seemingly have lawyered up.

https://www.10news.com/news/local-news/san-diego-news/lawsuit-alleges-rape-by-sdsu-football-players-and-buffalo-bills-punter

According to his attorney, the accuser admitted to coming in already drunk and agreed to consensual sex. 

I say we all sit back and wait for FACTS to come out before rushing to judgement.

Edited by StHustle

14 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Is a punter really worth this?

No but the principle is. If the team feels he's innocent and cut bait anyway due to the filing of a lurid allegation by a plantiffs' attorney, then that shows a lack of loyalty on the part of management. 

Edited by mbs
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, 716er said:

No, but cutting a player on the least important position on the team who is accused is a great way to run an organization. The team and city is going to be dragged through the mud just like Cleveland deservedly was for Watson.

Standing by your people is a really good way to run your organization. I would imagine there is evidence that hasn’t come out, but the Bills have seen, which paints this situation much differently and favorably towards Araiza. 

If there isn’t evidence that paints Araiza favorably, yeah, it’s reasonable to question the organization.

At this present moment, we have every reason to believe they’re acting with a conscience. They’re jeopardizing their reputation for a punter… nobody is doing that haphazardly. 

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The only reason for the victims lawyer to pressure the Bills is to get more money. That part sounds pretty bad for the victims lawyer.

I don’t know, if somebody raped my daughter, and that guy was about to embark on an NFL career, I would certainly be flooding them (and/or asking my attorney to)  information on what a POS he is. 

Imagine your daughter gets raped and he is on every sports show being referred to as “The Punt God”. Not to mention he is on a team like the Bills built on “culture” and “process”. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

Ah now I can see why there’s disagreement he never actually admits on the call to having sex with her 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Does it matter?  Anyone with a legal degree know the answer?

So then he didn't admit to having sex with her.

Does what matter?  A detective's testimony?  They wouldn't even need the tapes.  But, as JoPoy points out, they can record without consent in this instance.

For those of you who are jumping on board the “cut Matt Araiza immediately” bandwagon, I hope you never make a terrible mistake in your life. You will automatically be cancelled and should feel that you yourself deserve it.

You have to let due process happen. We should all hope that we are treated that way. Things happen that are out of your control in your life that could put you in a terrible position. This may or may not be the case, but this is why the justice system exists.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, lookylookyherecomescookie said:

It is felony statutory rape, he was 21, she was 17. Doesn't matter if he knew her age or not, doesn't matter if she lied about her age, doesn't matter if she consented to everything, it is STILL felony statutory rape if he had sex with her, anywhere, anytime, under any circumstances, except if they were married. Then it could be rape, depending on the circumstances.

What is the source of your information?

33 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Going off Warwow’s tweets, Araiza is possibly claiming never to have had sex with her, even with consent? But what about the detetive guided phone call?

I can start to see what the Bills meant by a thorough investigation though still feel uncomfortable about the whole thing.

to this point, wonder if he got oral, but never had sex, and therefore wont be dna to be had

10 minutes ago, inthebuff said:

In California, it is illegal for someone 18 or older to have sex with someone younger than 18, even if the sex is consensual. This is considered statutory rape under state law. Statutory rape laws are based on the assumption that minors are incapable of giving informed consent to sexual activities.

Yeah, I went back and corrected that.  Me bad, I didn't do my homework on that before posting.  In NYS the age of consent is 17.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Again remember there are two parts in this that appear to be separate:

19 hooking up with JD who wound up being underage.

The gang rape that allegedly happened after. 

One can be true, both, or neither. 

The AP article implies that the beer she believes was spiked was given to her by Araiza. And that he is the one that brought her to the room to be repeatedly raped. 

Araiza is much more apart of the night than a separate consensual encounter. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1