Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

9 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

I could care less about it being Araiza, or the water boy.  It's about doing the right thing for the individual, let more info come out

Yeah that's good of you and I'm sure your a nice person, but there is a business reality to football. We are on the verge of winning the Superbowl and I'll be damned if a punter is going to have anything to do with that. As far as I'm concerned punters need to be boy scouts.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Well this certainly isn't good; although is she angling for money due to the fear of not winning a criminal case? Seeing as a civil case is easier to achieve restitution with than a criminal case. 

Why was his college sitting on it for 10 months?

Well, I guess we should start working out some more punters.

Have to admit, I dislike civil charges for offences as serious as this for that reason. But I understand in this case why she has done as she reported it 10 months ago and nothing has come of it, either way.

Edited by UKBillFan
Repeated ‘in this case’
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, aristocrat said:

His attorney feels pretty confident about his witnesses and there are witnesses at the party. If she was drunk and also given a drug her memory could be very spotty unfortunately. That’s the problem in general with these types of cases. Often times they can be he said she said which doesn’t bode well if there was a rape and no physical proof. Matt could have had sex consensually and she could have been rapes in the room. 

on the exempt list until it’s sorted out and cut if he is charged. 

If she was 17, and he was 22, it is felony statutory rape. Consent does not apply.

1 minute ago, hemma said:

I think I read that the city of Portland hasn’t even evaluated rape kits for years due to lack of personnel.

I do not have faith in the legal system like I did 20 years ago.  I'm not sure if the legal system has really changed that much or if I just got wiser and more jaded.  Justice is rarer than you think, so many lawyers are untrustworthy/expensive, and judges, if not corrupt, have biases.

• Like (+1) 1

If for some reason he is not released right away, while this plays out at a minimum it has got to result in some real awkwardness in the locker room - and also possible distraction.  Players and coaches being asked at PCs about the accused rapist punter....  geez

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Steel City Mafia said:

Duke Lacrosse scandal . Never know 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_lacrosse_case

You don't.

But, not only is she claiming the sexual assault, she's claiming there is an audio recording of a phone call where Araiza admits to having sex with her. That would be pretty hard to fabricate, especially when phone records exists regarding incoming and outgoing phone calls to include subscriber information. Not to mention it was supposedly done under police direction, i.e; controlled phone call.

I believe in letting things play out but I also believe Araiza is toast in this instance.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

If she was 17, and he was 22, it is felony statutory rape. Consent does not apply.

I would imagine the fact that it was non-consensual would factor into any sentencing (if it were a criminal case), too, right?

Edited by RiotAct
  • Like (+1) 1

I don't want this to come across like I'm defending araiza, but I once got accused of grabbing a girls breasts when I was in school. I can tell you from personal experience, there is not a worse feeling than being accused (and hated) for something you didn't do. Having personal experience with this kind of thing, I will not judge one way or the other until all the facts are out. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, blitzboy54 said:

Statistically speaking they rarely if ever do. The blow back is viscous. Women are mostly punished either way. 

That this is your attitude means you are most likely a creep. 

Theres plenty of cases in which women falsely accuse men of assault. I dont think this is the case here but to believe that women or even men aren't capable of lying about such things is pretty naive. 

Like this lady:

This statement comes eight days after the exoneration of Broadwater, who spent 16 years in prison after being convicted for the crime. After his release, he was placed on the New York sex offender registry. However, with his exoneration, his name will be removed from the list. He had told the Associated Press that he was crying "tears of joy and relief" following the ruling.

Sebold wrote in 1999's "Lucky" of being raped and then spotting a Black man in the street several months later who she believed was her attacker.

Sebold, who is white, went to police. An officer said the man in the street must have been Broadwater, who had supposedly been seen in the area.

After Broadwater was arrested, Sebold failed to identify him in a police lineup, picking a different man as her attacker because she was frightened of "the expression in his eyes."

Edited by What a Tuel

It is a good thing that our offense is so good that we never are going to have to punt.

Joking aside, if he did this . . . no mercy. Nevertheless, we still need to find out more information. It does not look good though. Awful crime if true.

5 minutes ago, 716er said:

What is the benefit of having an an accused rapist barely punt when a person who was not accused of rape can also barely punt?

For people who view the players as cogs in their favorite machine, not much.  

For those that actually care about the human element.  A lot. 

If he’s guilty, cut him and let him deal with the civil and potential criminal suit.  

If he’s not.. well, who needs to file a criminal suit when you can simply ruin someone’s life by doing this?

Edited by SCBills
  • Thank you (+1) 1