Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

21 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

You’re the 2nd person to comment about this general statement. I was responding to a statement about how Araiza brought her to his friends for their turn. It’s common behavior. It’s sickening and gets covered up everyday.

OK, the way you originally wrote it, it wasn't clear that you felt it was sickening.

The timing is perfect for the accuser

His lawyer says they have witnesses (including a friend of the accuser) saying it didn't happen.

I have major doubts about this being true, but the media storm and publicity may be too much for the Bills to keep him on the team until it gets sorted out.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Not to trouble the discourse with injection of facts, but here is the actual lawsuit, courtesy of the San Diego Times

https://timesofsandiego.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/player-suit.pdf

It's not pretty reading.  Sounds like Araiza is toast under Cali statutory rape law.

Matt Araiza's epitaph with the Bills:

"From Punt God

to Hold God

to Oh God"

image.png

The issue with rape, and why it’s so difficult to press criminal charges, is a lot of it is down to the alleged victim claiming one thing and the defendant saying something else. This is the allegation - Araiza’s statement will say something very different. Then there will probably be differing witness statements about her state of inebriation too, some saying she was in no state to give consent and others saying she was fully aware and capable of making decisions. 

7 minutes ago, Beast said:

The only thing that bothers me about this girl is her doing television interviews regarding this incident. I can't imagine anyone advising her thinking that is a good idea regardless of her face being blurred.

why does this bother you?

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Or could be that he was aware that she had sex with numerous people (in his mind, either with consent or aware than she was raped) so advised her to be checked, rather than meaning he had a STD himself.

In the lawsuit, it alleges that Araiza told her he tested positive for chlamydia:

image.png

4 minutes ago, 716er said:

I’d love to agree with this but I don’t understand how the most hyped punter I can recall prior to the draft (with stats to back that up) was not the first punter off the board. 

He also lasted until round 6. 

There is plenty of history of ***** kickers and punters drafted in the top 3 rounds. Just doesn’t add up. I think teams knew.

It’s possible that other teams knew, but I don’t think the Bills did. Of course, that doesn’t let them off the hook. At the same time, there were plenty of analysts who didn’t have him as the #1 punter 

13 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

If there is anything I am sure of, it’s that the Bills just found out about this within the last day or 2. Beane and McD aren’t going to burn down what they’ve built on a freaking punter. And they literally just had him in front if the media next to Josh 2 days ago. McD was just joking around about him this week on pardon my take. That’s completely opposite of everything else we’ve seen from them for 6 years if they knew anything about this. 

whether they or someone else who reports to them ***** up and they SHOULD have known at some point earlier is another story. 

how can they credibly claim both that they just found out a day or two ago AND completed a thorough investigation of the incident?

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I didn’t know that, but it really does not add up. At all. That they are putting him in front of the media etc. so maybe they didn’t know 

Then due diligence has been shocking. The Bills press release stated a full investigation has taken place, though goodness knows what that means. You’d think the phrasing would be very different had then been caught unawares.

10 minutes ago, Rubes said:

I'll amend my statement about when they knew obviously once we find this out - my initial statement is they had to know. 

But judging by John's comment here I get the sense somehow they didn't.  

Which just blows my mind if they haven't known for at least a month - when the initial report came out.  

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

In the lawsuit, it alleges that Araiza told her he tested positive for chlamydia:

image.png

Yeuch. And that’s very much not a case of two different versions of events as that was a recorded call. Would happily see him cut for that alone.

1 minute ago, UKBillFan said:

The issue with rape, and why it’s so difficult to press criminal charges, is a lot of it is down to the alleged victim claiming one thing and the defendant saying something else. This is the allegation - Araiza’s statement will say something very different. Then there will probably be differing witness statements about her state of inebriation too, some saying she was in no state to give consent and others saying she was fully aware and capable of making decisions. 

So initially this was also my take.

But at the time, I was not aware of California's statutory rape law, which sets the age of consent at 18.

So it doesn't matter if she consented or not or was too inebriated to give consent or not

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

That doesn’t matter, the fact she was underage is still by law statutory rape. 

i don’t know California law but there are exceptions such as meeting the person in a bar drinking alcohol you can assume they are 21.

2 hours ago, Pasaluki said:

No punter is worth this. Remove him from the team and if it's false he can sue the girls family for defamation but we are in a Super Bowl window and a punter isn't worth anything right or wrong...

How a about defensive end? Quarterback? It’s either not worth it for everyone or no one….

13 minutes ago, 716er said:

I’d love to agree with this but I don’t understand how the most hyped punter I can recall prior to the draft (with stats to back that up) was not the first punter off the board. 

He also lasted until round 6. 

There is plenty of history of ***** kickers and punters drafted in the top 3 rounds. Just doesn’t add up. I think teams knew.

He actually wasn't the top punter on many teams' boards.  Media hype...fan hype...etc in no way equates to actual draft study and research.  More teams had Stout as the top punter on the board, not Araiza, and some had him lower than 2.  All Araiza was confirmed good at was kicking long, that's not the name of the game in the NFL.  John Daily could always hit the golf ball long, but he wasn't as good at the other parts of his game.  

Araiza got all the hype because there is literally nothing at all exciting about a punter, so when people saw one with a catchy nickname and booming kicks that long, it created a hoopla over him.  But punting in the NFL is all about hang time and precision, not distance.  The distance is great, but without the other 2 you won't be a Punter very long in the NFL.  

So given he had several areas to prove himself on and work on, he was not the top punter in the draft, just the most talked about because he was the only one who wasn't boring.  He was the most intriguing though, just unproven on if he can deliver hang time and accuracy.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

And timmy beats johnny to the news break. Seems stupid for the Bills to release Haack 2 weeks before they had to unless they think they could pick up a punter off the street who's just as good as Haack

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

That’s very interesting and surprising to me. They must have WAY more info than we do. I’m super wrong. 

They have to have more info. 
They would of cut him immediately tonight if this just dropped on them with no knowledge or heads up from him or the agent. 

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

That tallies with my thinking - they found out on or around 30th July.

So why keep him and cut Haack? I mean, to be blunt, perhaps they were very unimpressed with Haack and decided they could pick up an upgrade on him via waivers but…

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Maybe. I’ll give it a minute but something does not add up here. 

Agree give it some time but the first reaction does not look good on McBeane and the culture. This could spiral out of control in the locker room and the season. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

I haven't really looked too much into this, so I can't say where I put my flag. But when I played college ball, we had a team mate who was at our party for the whole night, (the whole night, because we were with him the entire time and he slept on the couch). a couple weeks later, the coaches informed us that he had been removed from the team, because his then girlfriend accused him of rape the same night as the party... which she was not at. Apparently they had spat a couple days after the party, and she didn't want to break up, so this was her way of getting back at him. To everyone on the outside, he looked like a monster, but to everyone who knew him and the situation, it was very very sad. 

I am not saying this is Araiza's situation, but there have been countless situations of false accusations and real rape situations. I would like to see real evidence before I start throwing stones.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

4 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

Lots of circumstantial details in this. If they have those phone calls, he's a dead man.

The Bills can't just ignore this.

The suit claims the cops were telling her to make the calls as they listened in and recorded

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

So initially this was also my take.

But at the time, I was not aware of California's statutory rape law, which sets the age of consent at 18.

So it doesn't matter if she consented or not or was too inebriated to give consent or not

Statutory rape with consent being given would still be treated differently to outright rape, though.