Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

They're a little evasive about where and when they learned about it

Very odd wording by the Bills PR team.  It makes it seem as if they knew of the incident for some time and have investigated it, even if they just found out as we did.  

6 minutes ago, wppete said:

It’s  also inexcusable that they didn’t know. They need to answer some serious questions regarding this. 

Sorry I'm out and haven't had a chance to take a deep dive into the details yet. Why should they have known? Was it public information? Was something filed on court before the draft? If so how come there was zero coverage on it by anyone?

Edited by Process

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

She went to the cops soon after, then the hospital.  The school dragged it's feet, the SDPD seems to be slow rolling this, so she decided to sue to get it out there.  Puts the pressure on the DA.   Since she was underage, consent isn't an issue.  It's at least statutory rape.  Since at the time of the attack, he was more than 3 years older than her, it's a felony.

Where does this "more than 3 years older than her, it's a felony" come from?

Alleged victim 17, Araiza 21, so yes, more than 3 years but this source says not typically felony

Statutory rape is a wobbler offense in California. This means that depending on the circumstances of the offense, it may be a misdemeanor or a felony charge.

Typically, statutory rape becomes a felony when the defendant is over 21 and the victim is under 16 years old.

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

As weird as it sounds it's true.

https://www.shouselaw.com/ca/defense/penal-code/261-5/

Minors can be charged in statutory rape cases

It’s important to remember that you can be charged even if you are a minor — that is, under 18-yourself when the intercourse occurs!11 This may seem a little crazy…since in a case like this the defendant is technically also a “victim”.  But it’s the law.12

Many prosecutors in California don’t make it a priority to prosecute teenagers for having sex with other teenagers. But that doesn’t mean it can’t happen.13

A case where the defendant is also a minor will probably be tried in the California juvenile court system.

I'm telling you that two high schoolers under 18 won't be charged unless there was force used.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

As weird as it sounds it's true.

https://www.shouselaw.com/ca/defense/penal-code/261-5/

Minors can be charged in statutory rape cases

It’s important to remember that you can be charged even if you are a minor — that is, under 18-yourself when the intercourse occurs!11 This may seem a little crazy…since in a case like this the defendant is technically also a “victim”.  But it’s the law.12

Many prosecutors in California don’t make it a priority to prosecute teenagers for having sex with other teenagers. But that doesn’t mean it can’t happen.13

A case where the defendant is also a minor will probably be tried in the California juvenile court system.

Absolutely insane that state will allow for sex change hormones, double mastectomy, but two minors having consensual sex is a crime.... for the male... how?

Just now, Process said:

Sorry I'm out and haven't had a chance to take a deep dive into the details yet. Why should they have known? Was it public information? Was something filed on court before the draft? If so how come there was zero coverage from it by anyone?

1 minute ago, TheBrownBear said:

I've heard this discussed and Matt's name thrown around for a few weeks here in San Diego, but didn't want to spread any hearsay here on the board.  Things don't look good for Matt.  If the rape kit contains his DNA, he is toast since the alleging party was 17 at the time.  Hopefully, the truth comes out and justice is served - whatever that turns out to be in this situation.  

Being 17 doesn't automatically make a statutory rape charge stick in California.  If she is lying (and I'm not saying she is) about him knowing her age/telling him her age beforehand, that is a defense.

Just now, JaCrispy said:

It pisses me off that this comes out just days after releasing Haak…talk about having the worst timing…

That’s down to the organisation - if they didn’t know then WHY didn’t they when the story first broke, and somehow got missed by most, on 30th July. If they did know why have they decided to take the gamble they have with him rather than sticking with the more limited but baggage (to put it very mildly) free Haack?

Just now, Process said:

Sorry I'm out and haven't had a chance to take a deep dive into the details yet. Why should they have known? Was it public information? Was something filed on court before the draft? If so how come there was zero coverage from it by anyone?

The school campus knew about it. So you think coaches would know and pass along inside info. If his name was in the original criminal complaint you’d think the agent would pass along. Team would not like to be blindsided 

Just now, Beast said:

I'm telling you that two high schoolers under 18 won't be charged unless there was force used.

It seems they won't prosecute.  Sorry if I butted in as I was reading the law and then seen your post.

I had to read it to believe it.