Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

1 minute ago, Steptide said:

I did, got suspended from school, hated by everyone (cuz that kinda thing spreads like wild fire). Sad thing is, no matter how many people I told the real story to, they didn't believe me. It was terrible at the time. 

Way harder to prove you didn't do something, than it is for someone to falsely accuse you, unfortunately.  My brother is a career school teacher and I've said, all it would take is one false accusation to ruin his career and legacy, even though the people who know him would know it wasn't true.  

(p.s. This is not commentary on Araiza, just Steptide)

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

She went to the cops the next day and filed a report.  They had her call Araiza on the phone to establish he was present.  He admits having sex with her while the cops are listening.

What on earth are you talking about?

At least half the posters in this thread clearly haven't read any of the links to the details of this case.

It sounds like San Diego State covered it up also. 

• Like (+1) 1

She went to the cops the next day and filed a report.  They had her call Araiza on the phone to establish he was present.  He admits having sex with her while the cops are listening.

What on earth are you talking about?

At least half the posters in this thread clearly haven't read any of the links to the details of this case.

So a report was filed immediately, and the authorities were actively involved.

And this was nearly a year ago. This genuinely sounds like something didn't add up for this to even go to the DA or the grand jury. I'd like to know the details behind that aspect of the incident. Maybe it was included somewhere but I haven't seen such a detail discussed.

Just now, Dick_Cheney said:

And this was nearly a year ago. This genuinely sounds like something didn't add up for this to even go to the DA or the grand jury. I'd like to know the details behind that aspect of the incident. Maybe it was included somewhere but I haven't seen such a detail discussed.

There is an ongoing criminal investigation

Just now, Dick_Cheney said:

There are definitely some strange aspects to this.

With an alleged event that apparently has so much evidence (DNA, the phone call, perhaps witness corroboration) it is peculiar this wasn't brought before the DA soon after it actually allegedly occurred. These kind of cases where allegations are brought forward a significant time after the supposed event usually hinge on circumstantial evidence and lack the tangibility this one supposedly has.

Really odd. I guess it's possible she just didn't want to bring charges before?

She went to the police the next day.  Her and her father were pushing for the investigation to speed up and charges to be filed.  They allege they were sick and tired of waiting, so they went forward with the lawsuit now to bring attention to it.  Would be curious to find out the backgrounds of the detectives on the case, since there are allegations that the school didn't investigate in order to protect the team as they were having a great year.   Have a hard time believing the cops would protect the university/football program, but we've seen these types of sick things play out in the past in other towns.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Dick_Cheney said:

DA just got the case.  

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Not knowing her age is not a legal defense.  

no it’s not but some states he’d be just fine with that age but California he’s not.  Again, I’m speculating that perhaps he didn’t know age and didn’t ask. 

2 minutes ago, Dick_Cheney said:

It’s now gone to the DA for a decision.

1 minute ago, Dick_Cheney said:

A case going to the DA and then before a grand jury isn’t uncommon at all. Even for cases with solid evidence.

• Like (+1) 1

Tough spot for the Bills organization.... They could cut him now and stand firmly on the character of the team and have zero tolerance... They'll be respected by fans around the league... But if they do and this is all horse chit, they rushed to judgement and didn't let the legal system run it's coarse.

I still say just cut him. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, aristocrat said:

no it’s not but some states he’d be just fine with that age but California he’s not.  Again, I’m speculating that perhaps he didn’t know age and didn’t ask. 

Doesn't matter.  He's on the hook.  I'm sure he didn't care even if he knew her age. 

1 minute ago, Steel City Mafia said:

I'm going to be following this story from these threads and will be looking for new pertinent info being released.

I do think as for the speculation and comments that at times will get shall I say "a little out there", I'm going to try to distance myself.

Looking forward to Wawrow's update!

43 minutes ago, Dick_Cheney said:

She named three people. It is alleged five raped her. Ever stop to think the police are attempting to identify those other two males?

You don't want to put this girl through multiple trials if true.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1

Hate stuff like this. If he were a regular joe blow making minimum wage, would there be a lawsuit at all? 

The timing highly questionable with it coming right after he secured an nfl career (when Haack was cut).

Not enough for him to be arrested even when investigators heard him say he had sex with her…yet now it’s a money grab thing.

Again if he was working at 7/11, there is no lawsuit and his reputation remains in tact.

Just now, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

Tough spot for the Bills organization.... They could cut him now and stand firmly on the character of the team and have zero tolerance... They'll be respected by fans around the league... But if they do and this is all horse chit, they rushed to judgement and didn't let the legal system run it's coarse.

I still say just cut him. 

Ask him to be put on the Exempt list makes most sense at this stage, I would have thought, then cut him if found guilty.

7 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

This stuff happens at probably every high school and college house party ever.

So are you saying it’s okay?

also I’ve been to many HS and college parties, never once have I been a part of something like that. 

Edited by CountDorkula
  • Agree 1

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

Doesn't matter.  He's on the hook.  I'm sure he didn't care even if he knew her age. 

Now you’re making an assumption he just has sex with any girl no matter age like a predator.  It can be reasonably assumed if you’re at a college party you’re  a student at that school.  Sort of like if you take a girl home from a bar you’re assuming she’s 21. 

1 minute ago, PetermansRedemption said:

If everything mentioned in that article (public sex, rape kit, reported allegations the next day, witnesses) then I can’t see how the DA could justify not charging Araiza in this. Seems like as open and shut as rape cases can get. 

That was my first thought.  I can't figure out how there weren't arrests made

• Like (+1) 1

DA just got the case.  

Sure, but it's out of the ordinary for a civil suit to be served before charges have been filed. You're a hell of a lot more likely to win a civil suit if you've got a guilty verdict from the criminal case to back you up. Either way, I'm inclined to believe the victim, but maybe we'll be surprised.

I never thought i'd be as excited about a punter as I've been with this guy, so this blows. Time to give Moorman some stem cell injections I guess.

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It sounds like San Diego State covered it up also. 

possibly. It’s also possible (and suggested in the LA Times article) that the SDPD waited quite a while before giving the school the okay to thoroughly investigate, lest they interfere with the criminal investigation.

Just now, Shake_My_Head said:

Civil suit?   But no criminal one?    That just seems backward to me on such a serious accusation.

I believe the DA just got the case recently and is making their prosecution decision. If everything reported is true, I can’t see how he/she could justify not prosecuting. It seems like the girl followed every possible channel to report and did it timely. Apparently a rape investigation takes 9+ months (something I never knew). 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, PetermansRedemption said:

If everything mentioned in that article (public sex, rape kit, reported allegations the next day, witnesses) then I can’t see how the DA could justify not charging Araiza in this. Seems like as open and shut as rape cases can get. 

Araiza’s Defense Attorney claims to have witnesses saying something different. If it is open and shut you have to wonder why we’re ten months in without criminal proceedings commencing and that’s something which will surely turn the heat up under the state department and the college in particular.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I need to look at this with non fan Goggles. However, literally today a local HUGE grocery chain fired a woman for allegedly saying that her male manager hugged her in an uncomfortable way (to be transparent....I am the said man's doctor).  He was called into HR a few days ago for his side of the story and to take his information down. She said a specific time and date that it happened and in a spot that didn't have a camera until a month ago. The store security looked at 2 days of footage in the camera and only noticed her looking around and no sign of him.

She was fired on the spot. A month ago it would have been the other way around.

I hate the times we live in. Just let the DA do their job and see what comes of it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I totally agree.  It seems the other shoe dropping is the "these are athletes" and some extra considerations were given.

I get the feeling this is going to have a lot of ugly heads coming out of it, some true some not.

2 minutes ago, Dick_Cheney said:

Sure, but it's out of the ordinary for a civil suit to be served before charges have been filed. You're a hell of a lot more likely to win a civil suit if you've got a guilty verdict from the criminal case to back you up. Either way, I'm inclined to believe the victim, but maybe we'll be surprised.

I never thought i'd be as excited about a punter as I've been with this guy, so this blows. Time to give Moorman some stem cell injections I guess.

You only have a period of time to file a civil suit.