Shaq Lawson tweet

Buffalo_Stampede

If anything, I am pretty jazzed that the work/football culture at OBD is so good that a lot of players happily saying "those were the best years of my life/career" out loud on social media.

That speaks volumes, a winning organization also helps (who am I kidding, it helps A LOT). This is how you get good players to play for you for less than market rate. If you can intangibly create a work environment that fosters the good in people and gets people to reach for more than they thought they could achieve you can consistently make something that is greater than the sum of its parts. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Valuable piece but doesn't solve the pass rush.  Sets the edge well and is a great run defender.

Hopefully Epenesa, Groot, and/or Boogie can emerge as a top flight rusher.  Would love to see Landry added to the room. 

Harold Landry? He re-signed with the Titans yesterday. But point taken - we need a top-flight DE somewhere on this roster. Epenesa seems to be JAG so far, and it's too early to tell with Basham/Rousseau.

Edited by junior
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, junior said:

Harold Landry? He re-signed with the Titans yesterday. But point taken - we need a top-flight DE somewhere on this roster. Epenesa seems to be JAG so far, and it's too early to tell with Basham/Rousseau.

Missed that, thanks.  Just saw that he wasn't tagged.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Speaking of this. I wonder if Phillips has been in Chandler Jones ear at all about the bills. He still loves bills. Went to our playoff game in KC. Lorax very close to cardinals org too.

Does Lorax live in Arizona?  I saw him at a Sabres-Coyotes game in AZ a couple of seasons ago.  He was wearing a Sabres jersey with "Alexander" on the back.  Very cool.  A little bit of "One Buffalo" out in the desert.

a 2 year prove-it deal seems fair to both sides.  He was just cut by a bad team, he comes here and performs well and we get a great player, he increases his value when our young guys are hopefully ready to take over (hopefully before 2 years for Groot and Basham).  

13 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Shaq is an extended practice squad player at this point...........they'd be foolish to bring him in with any guarantees or for more than the league minimum.

This is my concern as well, 2019 looked to be the peak for him which isn't saying much to begin with.

But if he did regain that form in Buffalo again he's at worse a solid rotational piece which this team seems to love.

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Nope. He was released.

His final year here was my favorite Bills defense under McDermott. Just have to find a Jordan Phillips and a Lorenzo Alexander and we're ready to role.

No Jordan Phillips. Bills are not bringing back cheerleaders.

Regarding his football playing he was often out of position leaving holes freelancing.

57 minutes ago, babulator said:

He's an excellent edge defender, it'd be a solid signing if at a reasonable rate. He'd definitely earn a bunch of snaps on this current roster.

Yes, he was a beast setting the edge against the run.  Him and Rousseau as bookends would make outside runs very tough for opposing offenses as they are both excellent edge setters...actually his last season here I thought his pass rushing had really started to improve significantly as well.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, FilthyBeast said:

This is my concern as well, 2019 looked to be the peak for him which isn't saying much to begin with.

But if he did regain that form in Buffalo again he's at worse a solid rotational piece which this team seems to love.

Yeah it's not out of the question that he could have a bounce back season and get his career as an early down base DE back on track to the point where he is worth modest pay days again..........it happens........in 2021 former flop CB Rasul Douglas went from veteran extended PS to having a tremendous year for Green Bay that will get him paid.

But he should have no value right now..........and maybe he thinks that he can only get his head right by getting back in the Buffalo environment/culture.

When he was drafted I said his floor was Courtney Upshaw and his ceiling was Melvin Ingram........an underwhelming range for a first rounder........and he's played much closer to his floor,  which is in part due to being a slow twitch athlete but more due to just being hard to motivate and keep focused, IMO.

He wants to get back to Buffalo but two hours after every home game he was in the airport with a big bag of Popeye's catching a flight to Charlotte so he could go play Wooderson on campus at Clemson.

47 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

a 2 year prove-it deal seems fair to both sides.  He was just cut by a bad team, he comes here and performs well and we get a great player, he increases his value when our young guys are hopefully ready to take over (hopefully before 2 years for Groot and Basham).  

We get a “great player”?  lol. Maybe he’s great in madden after you edit all of his attributes.  That’s the only way he’s great.

id love to bring him in for the minimum and let him battle for a spot

33 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Would rather sign Shaq at cheap deal depth piece than to bring back Hughes and/or Addison.

You would.  Jerry is currently 100x the pass rusher Shaq is. With Rousseau, Basham and epenesa on the team you’d rather bring in a run stopping DE over a pass rusher? 

jerry had more qb pressures in the KC playoff game than Shaq did all season

If inexpensive I wouldn’t have an issue with bringing back Lawson.  My concern is that he would preclude us from signing an effective pass rusher as it doesn’t make sense to go beyond 4 deep at DE.  Plus a developmental 5th player.  If he didn’t have any guarantees he could fight for a spot and that wouldn’t be an issue.

1 hour ago, buffaloaggie said:

If they sign Lawson, Bills let Hughes walk, unless he comes back on a hometown discount. We need a big splash signing at DE. Our depth is definitely lacking.

Epenesa

Rousseau

Basham

Love

No significant salary spent on any of these guys

Bills have major needs at DE. AJE has not proven to be a starter in this league. He was 4th in snap count, but Efe only played in 10 games vs. AJE 14.  I think Shaq is an upgrade. A major one. I am very uncomfortable with AJE even being considered as a starter on this DL. 
Basham saw most of his playing time playing inside on passing downs. I don't recall him ever getting meaningful time on the edge. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Not sure why he would want to come back here. The coaching staff screwed him over by playing Murphy ahead of him. Lawson was clearly the better player.  Somehow he still got a great deal from the Dolphins and then the injuries set in.  

I think I'd still take Hughes on a 1 yr deal over Lawson for 2022.  Jerry still got decent pressure just not the sacks.  Basham came on towards the end of the season and seems to be a guy that could everything that Lawson would. 

At some point they are going to have to trust that at least one of these draft picks will emerge as a 10 sack guy.  

My priorities for the defense are CB#2, 1-tech DT, depth and youth at safety, and now depth at LB with Klein being released.  Yes I would like to move on from Edmunds but unless they sign Wagner 2022 is not the year to make a switch at MLB.  Too many other issues to address and maybe Edmunds had a breakout year in a contract year.  

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, NewEra said:

We get a “great player”?  lol. Maybe he’s great in madden after you edit all of his attributes.  That’s the only way he’s great.

id love to bring him in for the minimum and let him battle for a spot

You would.  Jerry is currently 100x the pass rusher Shaq is. With Rousseau, Basham and epenesa on the team you’d rather bring in a run stopping DE over a pass rusher? 

jerry had more qb pressures in the KC playoff game than Shaq did all season

nope, my point is a prove-it deal.  You totally misread what I said.  I said a prov-it, and if  he performs we get the benefit of a great player, while he raises his value.  Win-win.  Should be a no-brainer for both parties.  

6 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Not sure why he would want to come back here. The coaching staff screwed him over by playing Murphy ahead of him. Lawson was clearly the better player.  Somehow he still got a great deal from the Dolphins and then the injuries set in.  

I think I'd still take Hughes on a 1 yr deal over Lawson for 2022.  Jerry still got decent pressure just not the sacks.  Basham came on towards the end of the season and seems to be a guy that could everything that Lawson would. 

At some point they are going to have to trust that at least one of these draft picks will emerge as a 10 sack guy.  

My priorities for the defense are CB#2, 1-tech DT, depth and youth at safety, and now depth at LB with Klein being released.  Yes I would like to move on from Edmunds but unless they sign Wagner 2022 is not the year to make a switch at MLB.  Too many other issues to address and maybe Edmunds had a breakout year in a contract year.  

that would be great, but that's like Singletary becoming Thurman Thomas.  

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

19 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

nope, my point is a prove-it deal.  You totally misread what I said.  I said a prov-it, and if  he performs we get the benefit of a great player, while he raises his value.  Win-win.  Should be a no-brainer for both parties.  

that would be great, but that's like Singletary becoming Thurman Thomas.  

My bad.  I usually read what people write in visible ink as opposed to the invisible kind.  Please…..show me where you said IF.

maybe that what you meant to write.

A 2 year prove it deal doesn’t benefit the player btw.  Say the player does prove it….he’s stuck playing another season at a discounted rate.  If the player doesn’t prove it, he’s cut.  Players sign 1 year prove it deals unless they have gtd money….and Shaq shouldn’t have anything gtd.  He’d be playing for a roster spot.  He’s jag depth.  

1 hour ago, msw2112 said:

Does Lorax live in Arizona?  I saw him at a Sabres-Coyotes game in AZ a couple of seasons ago.  He was wearing a Sabres jersey with "Alexander" on the back.  Very cool.  A little bit of "One Buffalo" out in the desert.

He's doing youtube videos with Nick Symmonds and Lorax is giving the olympic athlete fits.

1 hour ago, msw2112 said:

Yes he does. I think he actually does some type of radio work out there.

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Speaking of this. I wonder if Phillips has been in Chandler Jones ear at all about the bills. He still loves bills. Went to our playoff game in KC. Lorax very close to cardinals org too.

I want Chandler Jones more than any FA.  But I don't know if we can afford more than a 14-15/yr contract. Put more guaranteed to lessen the cap blow.  If Shaq is returning it better be cheap as a rotational player. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.