Shaq Lawson released

Dablitzkrieg

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Strange time for a release, unless they want to Give him a chance to sign with a contender. 

Likely they just don’t want be on the hook for his 2022 salary should he get seriously injured in a meaningless game. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

Shaq was completely ineffective as a pass rusher but he was good at setting the edge, and considering we're going to have to go up against Taylor/Harris/possibly Henry in the playoffs and Fournette/Jones in the superbowl that might not be a bad skill to have.  

He actually rushed the passer extremely well as a DT on pass rush downs in his 3rd and 4th season. Got excellent penetration and a few sacks out of him that way. 

57 minutes ago, dpberr said:

He was a baffling pick by the Bills. The Bills selected him way too high in the draft and then asked him to do something he didn't show skill at while at Clemson - getting to/sacking the QB. The shoulder was a problem at Clemson too...and well, it remained a problem. 

He did not project to DE or LB nicely but probably could have developed as a linebacker if that was the intention from draft day. 

Gee .. Whaley drafting with Rex in his ear… what could go wrong?

I will say though that a lot of “ draft experts” at the time had Lawson mid round 1 though..which in hindsight was way too high…

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

We all thought that the Bills pulled off a coup in the 2016 draft when due to injury concerns, he "dropped" to us at 19.  Instead, he turned into an Aaron Maybinesque bust.  So glad Whaley is GONE!!!!

Has he not fully lived up to being a 1st round pick? Yeah probably.  But the guy has 21.5 career sacks and 34 TFLs (including 13 his last year here!). He’s no Maybin. Not even close. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

He had a nice final year with the Bills. What went wrong since?

He was actually decent with Miami in 2020. He posted 5 sacks and solid ratings in PFF and other analytics sites. He then bounced around in 2021 being traded from Miami to the Texans then to the Jets. Seems like he hasn't been all that great in 2021. But I honestly wouldn't hate the Bills taking a look at Shaq in 2022. He will only be 28 years old and is not that far removed from being productive for the Bills and Fins. 

In 2019 for the Bills Shaq was a really good run defender and a decent pass rusher. I think he might be a good low risk high reward type signing. 

4 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

Has he not fully lived up to being a 1st round pick? Yeah probably.  But the guy has 21.5 career sacks and 34 TFLs (including 13 his last year here!). He’s no Maybin. Not even close. 

Shaq had a really nice pair of seasons from 2019-2020 and still likely will get the chance to hang around in the league for another year or two at worst. As you said not worth a first round pick but he wasn't a complete waste like Maybin. Provide less than expected value is different from providing no value. 

• Agree 3

57 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Shaq had a really nice pair of seasons from 2019-2020 and still likely will get the chance to hang around in the league for another year or two at worst. As you said not worth a first round pick but he wasn't a complete waste like Maybin. Provide less than expected value is different from providing no value. 

he's gonna be on his 3rd team in 2 years. 4th team in 3 years. PU.

2 hours ago, blacklabel said:

Bills offered him an extension, he chose to go to Miami for slightly more money. Played one year for them, then they traded him to Houston and then from there he was traded to the Jets. Seems like he’s just been bounced around a bunch and hasn’t gotten his footing anywhere he’s landed. He was pretty solid his final year here in Buffalo. Good against the run, which they could use, and he was coming along as a locker room leader. 

Thats all you need to know about Shaq, and Phillips for that matter. He was all about maximizing his payout. Not gonna pass judgment cause we all have to make a living but he could've cared less who paid.

Remember Florida has no state income tax.

That's why I moved here when I retired.☺

Shaq turned in a pretty high quality season in his contract year for the Bills.  He def has the capability to play at a starter level, but I question whether he has the motivation to maintain that level of play if he is getting paid.  He hasn't done anything since (that opinion is stat based-I haven't watched many dolphins/jets games aside from when they are playing the Bills), and he didn't do much until that one year.

Maybe worth trying to bring back if he can sign up for a prove it type of deal?

• Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

14 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Thats all you need to know about Shaq, and Phillips for that matter. He was all about maximizing his payout. Not gonna pass judgment cause we all have to make a living but he could've cared less who paid.

Remember Florida has no state income tax.

That's why I moved here when I retired.☺

Only 8 or 9 games a year..  Play in other states that have income taxes, I believe they can tax the "work" in that state. 

6 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Only 8 or 9 games a year..  Play in other states that have income taxes, I believe they can tax the "work" in that state. 

Interesting point but I personally don't know how legalities of that works. Is it based upon your state of employment? Is the NFL his employer or the Miami Dolphins? 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Sigh him to the PS if he passes through waivers 

Agreed.  He'd come cheap in that scenario, knows McD's defense, and would be good insurance in case covid decimates the defensive line in the playoffs.

He is not a starter, but we could do much worse for a backup on the defensive line.

11 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

I would sign him if available for a cheap deal. May be a cheaper, younger replacement for Jerry next year. Just younger. 

although boogie seems like a pretty similar player

I would like to see more of Boogie tbh. He seems to make plays when he’s in. 

I haven't watched him playing for the other teams but when he played for us he would be better at run defense than anyone we currently have playing DE and as good at getting to the QB as any of them also.  Rousseau is the only guy we have that seems like they have a legit chance at becoming a real pass rusher but he's not there yet and the rest of them sellout and only get there some of the time.  Lawson was a decent "collapse the pocket" type of pass rusher got there often enough to be a threat.  He wouldn't get paid like Addison or Hughes but I bet he'd be more productive than either of them.

4 hours ago, co_springs_billsfan said:

You should see what an NBA journeyman makes

1 hour ago, BobbyC81 said:

How about mediocre pitchers getting big bucks and having a long career because they are left handed?

I realize Shaq Lawson isn't the only overpaid professional athlete in the world.

But 2 wrongs don't make a right!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.