Shaq Lawson released

Dablitzkrieg

14 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I think they tax players where they play.  

Each week that is.

That's correct, they are treated like performing artists, and are taxed based on where the game is played, at least for state taxes.  To some extent those state taxes can be used as an itemized deduction against federal taxes, but that still only saves them the federal percentage rate of state taxes paid, not the entire amount of state tax paid.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

That's correct, they are treated like performing artists, and are taxed based on where the game is played, at least for state taxes.  To some extent those state taxes can be used as an itemized deduction against federal taxes, but that still only saves them the federal percentage rate of state taxes paid, not the entire amount of state tax paid.

Worst part is extra paperwork to pay the full tax burden of your state of residence unless there’s reciprocity. In the other states you basically get a tax credit for the taxes paid elsewhere. Basically…. If you live in NY or Cali you’re screwed. If you live in Florida or Texas you only pay taxes to other states. Most of the mid Atlantic and SE have similar tax rates to streamline the reciprocity which is one reason why I moved to VA when I was touring. 

56 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

He was better and outplayed Trent Murphy but McD and Beane kept giving their high priced FA signing more playing time than Lawson.

Trent already had a contract…..lawson waited til his contract year to show he’s a worthy nfl player. Then Miami offered him 3 year 30M (20m gtd)…..did you want Beane to pay him that much?  I hope not.  

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Turbo44 said:

He’ll clear waivers then why not sign him to the PS. I’m sure he’d be game to it - he loved it here, left for $$

Don't forget if you want him available for the playoffs, he must clear waivers and sign as a free agent.

28 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Trent already had a contract…..lawson waited til his contract year to show he’s a worthy nfl player. Then Miami offered him 3 year 30M (20m gtd)…..did you want Beane to pay him that much?  I hope not.  

I wanted the Bills to keep him. I thought he was the best DE we had against the run. And thought that he could keep getting better in McD's system. Not for 30m, but still. I never thought he was bad. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I wanted the Bills to keep him. I thought he was the best DE we had against the run. And thought that he could keep getting better in McD's system. Not for 30m, but still. I never thought he was bad. 

He was a bad pass rusher in his first 3 years.  He was a better pass rusher his contract year and god vs the run.  I too, wanted to resign him….but for 4-5M per year.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

He was better and outplayed Trent Murphy but McD and Beane kept giving their high priced FA signing more playing time than Lawson.

Beane didn't give anyone playing time. As for DL, McDermott always is going to rotate.

Shaq IMO did deserve more of the snaps but what they were doing in 2019 worked very well.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

I'm sure this has been said already, but...

A plus run defender, able to pressure the passer in spurts (his 2019 total of 6.5 sacks would lead the Bills right now), knows the scheme so he could hit the ground running, and most importantly: Brings a juice, a swagger, a looseness, an element of fun and levity that is a real boost to the Bills locker room.

Personally, I'm interested in bringing him back not just for the playoff run, but for the future, as well.

Hughes and/or Addison might be gone after this season. If so, he'd be good depth, veteran leadership on the d-line, and as previously mentioned, a great fit in the locker room. 

Get him.

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.