Shaq Lawson released

Dablitzkrieg

2 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I mean, he was a very able edge setter vs the run. For the Pats it might be a smart pickup.

But on long term, we need our picks to take over

Agree but the Bills have Rousseau, Epenesa and Basham as the only DEs signed so far for next year.

Lawson might have a role to fill.

4 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I mean, he was a very able edge setter vs the run. For the Pats it might be a smart pickup.

But on long term, we need our picks to take over

Bring him in now so we have him for depth in the playoffs, but more importantly, for next year. I'm expecting this is the last year for Hughes and Addison.

That leaves us with basically ONLY our picks left. Epenesa, Rousseau, and Basham. Shaq would be a good young-ish vet to round out that group. Could pair them as Rousseau/Shaq and Epenesa/Basham, so we have a pass rusher as well as a run stopper on the field at the same time. Or mix and match depending on the situation.

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

Agree but the Bills have Rousseau, Epenesa and Basham as the only DEs signed so far for next year.

Lawson might have a role to fill.

Technically Addison’s contract is voidable but his money is, I believe, guaranteed. Better chance than not that he’s on the 2022 roster this summer. 

4 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Technically Addison’s contract is voidable but his money is, I believe, guaranteed. Better chance than not that he’s on the 2022 roster this summer. 

For Addison to play with the Bills next year he would have to sign a new contract.

7 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Not guaranteed.

The contract auto voids if he doesnt sign a new contract.

He's as good as gone.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/mario-addison-8871/

14 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

For Addison to play with the Bills next year he would have to sign a new contract.

12 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Not guaranteed.

The contract auto voids if he doesnt sign a new contract.

He's as good as gone.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/mario-addison-8871/

2022 year automatically voids 23 days before the 2022 league year ($2M dead cap)

I interpret that as he’s getting 2 million regardless if his contract voids… if they opt not to void it, it wouldn’t it be 1 year 2 million?

IF Bills can add 1 more year for 1 million plus his 2 million that’s guaranteed, adding him for 3 million for 5-7 sacks again might be worth it. 

1 minute ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

2022 year automatically voids 23 days before the 2022 league year ($2M dead cap)

I interpret that as he’s getting 2 million regardless if his contract voids… if they opt not to void it, it wouldn’t it be 1 year 2 million?

He signed a 3yr/$30M contract.

If we don't void his contract, he is set to make $10M. Or we can "let it void" (aka fix the glitch, aka cut him) and have a dead cap hit of $2M.

He isnt signing/playing for only $2M. If he comes back, it will be at a number closer to his $10M price.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

No.  It's not just a team option.  He already got paid the money and will become an UFA to start the year.

These type of "void years" are just a financial tool used by teams.

https://www.hogshaven.com/2021/4/12/22379019/how-do-voidable-year-contracts-work-and-why-has-the-nfl-embraced-them-this-year

Quote from article:

So, what are voidable years?

A voidable year is an ‘extra’ year on the length of the contract that the team and the player intend to void. In other words, it is a “dummy” year on the contract that the player will never play or get paid for, and it exists for the sole purpose of lowering the annual cap hit, especially in the first year of the contract.

As mentioned above, this type of contract is nothing new, though most teams use them sparingly, if at all.

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

He signed a 3yr/$30M contract.

If we don't void his contract, he is set to make $10M. Or we can "let it void" (aka fix the glitch, aka cut him) and have a dead cap hit of $2M.

He isnt signing/playing for only $2M. If he comes back, it will be at a number closer to his $10M price.

Gotcha, it was worded very strange for sure.

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

No.  It's not just a team option.  He already got paid the money and will become an UFA to start the year.

These type of "void years" are just a financial tool used by teams.

https://www.hogshaven.com/2021/4/12/22379019/how-do-voidable-year-contracts-work-and-why-has-the-nfl-embraced-them-this-year

Quote from article:

So, what are voidable years?

A voidable year is an ‘extra’ year on the length of the contract that the team and the player intend to void. In other words, it is a “dummy” year on the contract that the player will never play or get paid for, and it exists for the sole purpose of lowering the annual cap hit, especially in the first year of the contract.

As mentioned above, this type of contract is nothing new, though most teams use them sparingly, if at all.

Ahhh I understand, thank you for that!!!

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Gotcha, it was worded very strange for sure.

Ahhh I understand, thank you for that!!!

No prob. Yeah, man, contract stuff gets real convoluted, real quick. Especially when we're just trying to go off of sites like Spotrac and not the real contract.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.