Time to go on record if you honestly believe this is still a SB caliber team or even a playoff team at this point

FilthyBeast

We finish 10-7 and just miss the wildcard.  This team is way too soft and doesn't deserve to win the division, much less make it to the post season.  The last time we had a dominant d-line was in 1999 and dominant o-line was 1973 and it shows.  If everyone on this team was healthy and we played in the Super Bowl next week, we would get crushed by whoever we played.

After the Titans game I said the Super Bowl talk needs to stop.

After the Jaguars game we all saw the Bills offensive line is beyond poor if Spencer Brown misses time.

And today, we saw that simply keeping the band together on offense is no guarantee you will have the same results as the year previous.

When you have threads about Cole Beasley starting next year, resigning Emmanuel Sanders, having Gabe Davis be our #2 WR, that isn’t good enough.

We need a Ja’Marr Chase, Deebo Samuel level talent added to the WR group, a real Tight End, a better running back.

I think Beane will see this and act.

4 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

So, they should blow it all up and rebuild or what? 

A few weeks ago the Pats and Chiefs were two of the worst teams in football and now they look like they are on a crash course for the AFC Championship game.  Things can change quickly in the NFL.  McDermott has earned the benefit of the doubt from me for now.  Today was almost entirely self inflicted and things we can (hopefully) clean up.   Let's see how we bounce back on Thursday and against the Pats.  I'm not about to wave the white flag at 6-4 in a season where there are no dominant teams from week to week 

Two of the worst teams in football? What kind of hyperbole is this? The Patriots and Chiefs were never actually two of the worst teams in football. The Pats had a bad loss to Miami and then lost a couple of one score games to contenders. Chiefs early season was similar.

Edited by evek

I am pretty sure you know how I feel.

I still think the Bills are a playoff team.

We got the perfect storm with Star and Pred out and cold windy rainy weather.

That game was custom built for a team with a great line and big tough back.

I bet the Bills would beat them in Indy in the nice dry warm confines of the Big Oil Can ;) 

This team isn't built for days like yesterday unfortunately the Colts are.

They are better than they have showed, I believe that.  They lost 3 games that were close, got blown out once and blew everyone else out.   At the end of the day, they are what they are and right now they are in a tough spot.  They are inconsistent which is the opposite of last year.  4 losses in the conference and none in the division.....the best path is winning the division which is more than possible still.  But if they dont, not sure I like their tie breakers...

The question is whether they can figure out the run.  I don't see a running back on the schedule that really scares me but I know the Pats will run regardless.  Is this the Titans game from last year where they will go on a run or the beginning of the end.  Colts are a playoff team that pounded us in the middle without our starting MLB and our big DT run stuffer.  The turnovers we need to figure out but I don't think this will happen again against any team left

Buffalo is done if they do not beat physical teams.  I think NE could beat us twice in Dec.  The entire board was fooled how good we were by a weak schedule.  Every physical team we played we got hammered.  

Time to deal with reality.  We might NOT EVEN GET IN THE PLAYOFFS RIGHT NOW.  

1 minute ago, Billzgobowlin said:

The question is whether they can figure out the run.  I don't see a running back on the schedule that really scares me but I know the Pats will run regardless.  Is this the Titans game from last year where they will go on a run or the beginning of the end.  Colts are a playoff team that pounded us in the middle without our starting MLB and our big DT run stuffer.  The turnovers we need to figure out but I don't think this will happen again against any team left

bull####.  TN beat the Colts twice.  They may not make playoffs either.  You are deluding yourself to soothe your cognitive bias. 

2 minutes ago, Bruce Smith said:

Buffalo is done if they do not beat physical teams.  I think NE could beat us twice in Dec.  The entire board was fooled how good we were by a weak schedule.  Every physical team we played we got hammered.  

Time to deal with reality.  We might NOT EVEN GET IN THE PLAYOFFS RIGHT NOW.  

bull####.  TN beat the Colts twice.  They may not make playoffs either.  You are deluding yourself to soothe your cognitive bias. 

Why does the fact that TN beat the Colts twice mean we can't make the playoffs?  Colts are going strong right now.  We are obviously are struggling with bust you in the mouth running on defense.  Show me a team left like that.  The Jags and Steelers games we didn't come to play at all but the Titans and Colts losses played to our biggest weakness especially with us missing the middle of our defense.

the upshot is most of our problems imo are coaching related.  these guys just don't make adjustments, don't push towards balance (not running at all, only being in nickle while getting run out the stadium), and don't seem to be able to tell who can play or not.

i think these guys are just way too  stubborn.  arrogant even.  every flippen year we get just blown out the building, often more than once.  every single one!  i know most coaches have a system and change players to fit the system rather than the other way around, but these guys are something else.  they really think they are much smarter than they are.

After sleeping on it, I am a little more positive today. Not because of the Bills though, but because the league does not have a great team. I give the Bills a 5% chance of winning the Super Bowl.  I think they are going to have to ask the secondary to step it up and sell out to stop the run.  I think the Bills need to stop with the penalties. Most importantly though, I think the Bills need to start running the ball.  It sounds crazy but we need to start riding Breida.  15-20 carries a game. The offense needs to start running the ball to open up the passing game. 

Edited by Evian

They can do it. Talent and skill are there.  There's no fight in this team though, especially when the plans go awry.  They are challenged at keeping the energy and focus from one game to the next.

They will smoke the Saints after being embarrassed yesterday and then turn around and come out flat against the Patriots.   That's what needs to change.

• Like (+1) 1

I live in California so don’t go the games, but I’m really interested to hear from those who do. On TV, I never see McD turning and going over to yell at (encourage) his players. He’s always just facing the field looking like he needs to watch each play instead of doing any coaching during the game…and I don’t think he even wears a headset…no?  I also never see anyone talking to Josh. He’s always sitting there looking at an iPad and his backup is sitting there alongside. Last year it was Barkley clowning around and now Mitch sits there in utter silence. Josh needs help! 

Edited by SoCal Deek

I think this is a playoff caliber team but likely one and done. 

I just cant figure out what has changed so dramatically since last season. Observations which are baffling (compared to last season):

- O is not dominant and cant impose its will on opponents. We couldnt run the ball last year either but still regularly beat opponents

- No fight. Last year, we won games against the Steelers, Colts and Ravens which were well fought, well coached and with adjustments. This year, that confidence is gone

- Related to the previous point, we can prety much predict the end result from the 1st Q. If we are getting pushed around, we will eventually lose. No adjustments, no will to fight back. In the SNF game, the Steelers tied the game after being down 2 TDs in the 4th Q. I cannot envision our O being able to do that

Coaches are the same, players are mostly the same with purported upgrades at DE and RT (Brown). What the heck is wrong and why ?? This is the part bothering me the most.   

1 minute ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I think this is a playoff caliber team but likely one and done. 

I just cant figure out what has changed so dramatically since last season. Observations which are baffling (compared to last season):

- O is not dominant and cant impose its will on opponents. We couldnt run the ball last year either but still regularly beat opponents

- No fight. Last year, we won games against the Steelers, Colts and Ravens which were well fought, well coached and with adjustments. This year, that confidence is gone

- Related to the previous point, we can prety much predict the end result from the 1st Q. If we are getting pushed around, we will eventually lose. No adjustments, no will to fight back. In the SNF game, the Steelers tied the game after being down 2 TDs in the 4th Q. I cannot envision our O being able to do that

Coaches are the same, players are mostly the same with purported upgrades at DE and RT (Brown). What the heck is wrong and why ?? This is the part bothering me the most.   

Teams weren’t prepared for how good Allen actually was last season as a passer and didnn’t run the appropriate coverages. This year they are and are defending solely against his passing game. Basically, they’ve figured out the Bills strengths and their weaknesses (poor run game, scheme that de-emphasizes the run, and a QB intent on pushing it down the field and who loses patience easily). It’s amazing how many passes he forces into coverage with medium deep throws once he gets on the other side of the field (which seems like most drives). They stall a lot on the other side of the field because he doesn’t take what defenses give him and instead does long-developing pass plays that result in pressure, sacks, and incompletions due to shell coverage with seven DBs. The Bills offensive problems against teams that are half decent seem to be in that range between the opponents’ 25 and 45 yard lines.  

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Even early in the game… the false start on 3rd and 3 it looked like Josh snapped. Dude needs to chill and just move on to the next play. He is way too emotional…. This goes back to his rookie year. The guy panics way too much IMO.

Maybe he snapped at himself because the cause of that false start was yet another failed attempt at a hard count. I don’t want to see another hard count from him this season.

23 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Teams weren’t prepared for how good Allen actually was last season as a passer and didnn’t run the appropriate coverages. This year they are and are defending solely against his passing game. Basically, they’ve figured out the Bills strengths and their weaknesses (poor run game, scheme that de-emphasizes the run, and a QB intent on pushing it down the field and who loses patience easily). It’s amazing how many passes he forces into coverage with medium deep throws once he gets on the other side of the field (which seems like most drives). They stall a lot on the other side of the field because he doesn’t take what defenses give him and instead does long-developing pass plays that result in pressure, sacks, and incompletions due to shell coverage with seven DBs. The Bills offensive problems against teams that are half decent seem to be in that range between the opponents’ 25 and 45 yard lines.  

With all due respect, I dont think it takes a full season for NFL defenses to adjust. Daboll's philosophy and Allen's strengths/weaknesses were evident in the first half of last season and we faced opponent's adjustments throughout the playoffs. Yet we won 2 playoff games. With the way the team is playing right now, I can't see them winning such games. I agree on the latter part of your post. 

I know D got gashed yesterday (I only saw the 1st Q) but if the O had done better early in the game, the Colts would have had to throw more thus playing into our D's strengths.

Overall problems, esp on O, are deeper and I don't know what they are. 

I think they have the capability to make the playoffs.

I think they need a serious attitude adjustment. They think that they just have to show up and they will win, but they are not showing up. Penalties and self-inflicted mistakes are killing them. 

13 hours ago, Process said:

What are you 14 years old? JFC people grow up and learn to control your emotions.

Those are the only winnable games we have left? Lmao.

that's kind of the point of the board. what other games do you view as "winnable". Kamara/Ingram are run all over us, Pats 3 head-monster, forgetaboutit. CMC might end up having a game against us too. 

I think they can, but if not getting a bye that path gets much more difficult. 

every team goes through some “working things out” and hopefully we hit the home stretch with momentum and not lingering issues. If we sweep the pats, we are 100% a contender and that’s very possible 

Super Bowl caliber - maybe?  Playoff team - yes.

I do think that the 13-3 record of the 2020 Bills and the Super Bowl expectations from earlier this season have swayed many of our opinions and have caused a lot of the reactions.  Do we need OL help? Yes.  Do we need RB help? Yes.  Are we commonly dominated by physical teams? Yes.  I agree with all of those criticisms and do think that they are warranted - but I also think that last year's team wasn't as good as they appeared and you're seeing a similar team to last year even though the results are different.

Yes, we ended up 13-3, but...how many "quality" wins did we actually have?

Week 2 - squeak out a 3 point win against the Dolphins (coin flip win);

Week 3 - squander a giant lead against the Rams and need a late PI penalty and a JA pass in the closing seconds to win (lucky win due to PI call, etc.);

Week 7 - 6 field goals lead to a win against a bad Jets team;

Week 8 - beat Patriots because Cam fumbles near our goal line with NE tying or perhaps evening winning in final seconds (lucky win);

Week 13 - beat 49ers by 10 on MNF, played a decent game, but also played against Nick Mullens and a injury decimated 49ers team.

Of the 5 games that I've listed, 3 of those games could have gone the other way if luck wasn't on our side - 13-3 becomes 10-6 pretty quickly.  We also all seem to remember the offense being amazing, which it was at times, but there were also games with 16, 17, 18, 24, 26 points scored that didn't exactly equate to "dominant Bills offense."

So while I'm currently not happy with the team, nor their recent performances, and I definitely think that we have a lot of issues that need to be addressed, it is possible that we're seeing a very similar team to last year, but without those "lucky" type of wins.  Said team made the conference championship - so I truly think that anything is possible at this point in time - as disgusted as I may be with the previous few weeks of play. 

I have always said that I only want to go back to the SB if we had the kind of team that could win it (obviously, any team that makes it there can win - but I wouldn't want to be out-matched, and have to rely on luck or a few breaks).

Right now, I don't think this is that team. Of course I'd still want to make it if they got on a run, but that week will be much more nerve-wracking.  It feels like we will need luck the whole way if we want to be that team that's still there at the end.

I'm not as confident as I was 3 weeks ago, but I still think our ceiling is pretty high (unfortunately we've found that our floor is significantly lower than we thought too).

Yes to playoffs, but unlikely a bye
Possible to Super Bowl 

IF HEALTHY - and I know that is a big IF - who stands out as head and shoulders better than us in the AFC? 

No f’n way we are making the Super Bowl unless this team learns how to slow down the run and run effectively. We will get destroyed in the playoffs when the intensity goes up a notch. Right now, this team is SOFT both physically and mentally and its only the regular season. I never thought I’d say that about a McD lead team in the city of Buffalo but here we are. I don’t want to believe it but I think winning that KC game really hurt. They lost their hunger and their drive. It’s like they collectively decided they had a one way ticket to the Super Bowl since they gave KC a beat down. Humble and hungry? More like arrogant and full of their own hype.

I honestly don’t know if we have the coaching minds to turn this thing around. We are going to learn a lot about McD in the next few weeks.

I started the season thinking the Bills were a playoff team but not a Super Bowl team.

But after watching - live, in person, at Arrowhead - the Bills dismantle the Chiefs, I started to dream of bigger things.

Then reality crashed in on us and I'm back to playoffs-but-not-Super-Bowl.   The OL just isn't good enough...  The run D has problems...

But there's always next season.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.