[Edit] Jon Gruden resigns over controversial emails discovered in WFT investigation

flaz

3 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

So what would make this racist is if all people of color have big lips which is not the case.  Was it a stupid thing to say?  Absolutely.  Was it racist?  I think that is a stretch from race baiters who try to make every statement racist

18 hours ago, Warcodered said:

How about everyone who doesn't seem to get it just Googles "racist black caricature" and see if you can't connect the dots.

Our new official pastime:

Collective finger wagging over perceived racial/ethnic/sexist comments to make ourselves feel morally superior. That warm dopamine thrill of woke validation is so inviting. 

The vitriol on this board over a stupid email about a guy’s lips 10 years ago? Jesus H. With all the problems in this world.

Let’s just go through everyone’s 10 year old emails here - or posts- and see what we dig up so we can collectively scold you.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The only thing Gruden has to worry about is what his own locker room thinks of the comments.

If they take the big lips comment poorly, well nothing he can do about it. But who the actual F cares what anyone else thinks? It was from TEN YEARS AGO! If he went on an entire racist rant & used slur after slur, ok... I could understand how that may make some people upset.

But that's not what happened, so why people care about something from 10 years ago in a private email is beyond me.

6 hours ago, Just in Atlanta said:

Collective finger wagging over perceived racial/ethnic/sexist comments to make ourselves feel morally superior. That warm dopamine thrill of woke validation is so inviting. 

The vitriol on this board over a stupid email about a guy’s lips 10 years ago? Jesus H. With all the problems in this world.

Let’s just go through everyone’s 10 year old emails here - or posts- and see what we dig up so we can collectively scold you.

This is it exactly.

Edited by What a Tuel

7 hours ago, Just in Atlanta said:

I’ll be honest- I only read about a third of the thread, but between that, and the media coverage, the largest (and most manufactured out of thin air) outrage I saw was not directed at Gruden.

7 hours ago, BigDingus said:

The only thing Gruden has to worry about is what his own locker room thinks of the comments.

If they take the big lips comment poorly, well nothing he can do about it. But who the actual F cares what anyone else thinks? It was from TEN YEARS AGO! If he went on an entire racist rant & used slur after slur, ok... I could understand how that may make some people upset.

But that's not what happened, so why people care about something from 10 years ago in a private email is beyond me.

If you peel back the “how dare they make this a big deal” sentiment- I don’t think it’s been made that big a deal. 

The email came out. It’s been acknowledged. He didn’t do a great job apologizing. Some colleagues came out on his behalf with supportive words. We will likely move on quietly from here without repercussions. 

it’s going to have a short shelf life, and no real consequences minus some like public penance being made. 

when you bash the leagues primary negotiating opponent and it comes out publicly - this outcome is about as mild as possible, right?

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

If you peel back the “how dare they make this a big deal” sentiment- I don’t think it’s been made that big a deal. 

The email came out. It’s been acknowledged. He didn’t do a great job apologizing. Some colleagues came out on his behalf with supportive words. We will likely move on quietly from here without repercussions. 

it’s going to have a short shelf life, and no real consequences minus some like public penance being made. 

when you bash the leagues primary negotiating opponent and it comes out publicly - this outcome is about as mild as possible, right?

Mild if you consider being called racist mild but its been pretty hammered in that racists have no place in society, so apologies if people take to heart someone being called one.

Actually sounds fairly serious by the way diversity groups are responding:

"The leader of the Fritz Pollard Alliance, a watchdog group that champions diversity in the NFL, says Gruden’s remark about Smith is indicative of racism throughout professional sports. Rod Graves, the Alliance’s executive director, also hinted at seeking discipline for Gruden.

“The insensitive remarks made by Jon Gruden about DeMaurice Smith are indicative of the racism that exist on many levels of professional sports,” Graves, the Alliance’s executive director, said in a statement. “Furthermore, it reveals that the journey for African Americans and other minorities in sports, is riddled with irrepressible mindsets at the highest level."

Edited by What a Tuel

On 10/8/2021 at 8:23 PM, sullim4 said:

This is ridiculous.

If we were all held to a standard such that anything we said privately, even 10, 20, 30 years ago, could be held against us, every single one of us would lose our jobs and our reputations.  One thing I am sure of is that everyone at some point in their lives has said something they would not want aired publicly.

I'm so sick and tired of people that throw stones while living in glass houses.  The guy said something wrong in private, he has now apologized, and said he had no ill intent.  There is no pattern here with Gruden, as far as I'm aware.  It should be left at that unless he's proven to have a pattern of behavior here.  Social media and the outrage mob of Facebook that jump on every little thing have ruined both privacy and society as a whole in so many different ways.

The above is an excellent summary. 

I happen to think that the comment, no matter the intent, was stupid. Very stupid and totally uncalled for. Gruden always seemed rather dumb to me. He is a smart football man but hey, Tom Cruise is a good actor and he too always struck me as something of a schmuck.

I don't know if Gruden's comment, however stupid, unneccessary, and certainly insensitive was based on racial hatred. I don't know the man so I cannot make a call like that based on one idiotic comment that he made 10 years ago. His current and former players and folks from his past, and every day life are more prepared to make this determination than any of us or social media.

In any event, the above bolded was 100% on point. Is is SO easy to get sanctimonious, but each of us has said something wrong and/or stupid that we regret. Once again, I am not trying to say that I know what motivated Gruden. I am saying that we shouldn't be so quick to judge others when we live in glass houses as all of us do, at least to some extent.

Thanks for a wonderful post.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Success said:

Another poster mentioned it - "pattern" is so important in these situations. As is intent.

There is real racism out there, obviously.  One isolated comment ain't it.

i’d read the new NYT report from today and then let us know if you think this is an instance of a single, isolated comment.

Just now, JoPoy88 said:

i’d read the new NYT report from today and then let us know if you think this is an instance of a single, isolated comment.

I will, and if it's not, it's not - if it's part of a pattern, that's a much more valid criticism.

But there were a million snap judgments when the story came out, when nothing else was known.  That's how it is every time.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Success said:

I will, and if it's not, it's not - if it's part of a pattern, that's a much more valid criticism.

But there were a million snap judgments when the story came out, when nothing else was known.  That's how it is every time.

yeahhhh this isn't a good look for Chucky. 

• Shocked 1
  • Agree 1

"The emails, which span from 2010 until 2018, when the coach signed a 10-year deal with Las Vegas after years as a "Monday Night Football" analyst, include Gruden calling Goodell a "f-----" and "clueless anti-football p----," criticizing Goodell for allegedly pressuring then-Rams coach Jeff Fisher to draft "queers," and messages to Allen that featured photos of topless Washington Football Team cheerleaders."

• Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.