Who is your favorite Bills free agent acquisition/trade of all time?

4 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Not surprisingly he ended up being an important part of the first Patriots Super Bowl team

And he anchored Dick Jauron's only winning team as a HC.........13-3 Bears and the #1 seed in the NFC.

He was much maligned on TSW from 1998 on because he had been maybe the most dominant defensive player in the game in from 1996-1997.......a literal sideline to sideline 400# man who accumulated 152 tackles......... and then got paid and fell off to just the most impactful interior DL in the league for the rest of his contract.

If Star Lotulelei were only half the player of a diminished New England Ted Washington........

Technically, guys like James Lofton were not "free agents"...but the definition of what a free agent was in 1988 versus 2020 is pretty different.  Lofton, Takser, etc etc were free agents, because they were (foolishly) cut by their teams.  So they were more like waiver wire acquisitions not actual "free": agents.  As I recall, Lofton was cut by the Raiders right before the 1989 season started... part of their final pre-season cuts.  The Bills picked him up off waivers. 

Edited by Buftex

4 minutes ago, Simon said:

Phat Pat Williams was an UDFA.

Possibly the baddest ass to ever don a Bills uniform.

Pat was a disruptive one gapper like a bigger Kyle Williams.

He was a badass but the BS with he and selfless-Sam Adams fighting with each other week after week over who was going to have to play the double team role was annoying........and actually the early season Bills defense this year reminded me of that.........it was like nobody wanted to do the 1T job well because they all wanted to play 3T.

Anyway......if they had never let Ted Washington go......he and Phat Pat probably would have ended up on the Bills wall of fame together.

Bennett for sure - was an incredible blockbuster trade at the time.  You really felt it was going to make huge impact.  I'll never forget I was with some friends when it was announced - we had already been drinking - we drank a lot more after that. 

3 hours ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Not sure if it was a trade or free agent - but my favorite was Frank Lewis from the Steelers

Very nice.

2 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

How has Flutie not even been mentioned?  

My ranks:

Flutie 

Bennett

Diggs 

Paup

Lofton

I can't rank anyone from 2001 to 2014 with all due respect to Mario and Hughes.  

In fact, its Flutie and it might not even be close after that.  Guy got cheated out of the Tennesse game and I still to this day have no doubt his ability to run and make plays due to relentless pressure was badly needed that day.  RJ was horrific in that game until the last drive.  This isn't even arguable.  

Actually it is but I don’t have the energy anymore.

Connecting this thread to the upcoming Cardinals game any love for Leonard Smith?  Good old #46 was a stone cold killer back in the days before targeting existed.  This guy brought an attitude to the Bills D and had a real knack for the ball.  We became a physical defense the moment he was back there head hunting.

1 hour ago, Buftex said:

Technically, guys like James Lofton were not "free agents"...but the definition of what a free agent was in 1988 versus 2020 is pretty different.  Lofton, Takser, etc etc were free agents, because they were (foolishly) cut by their teams.  So they were more like waiver wire acquisitions not actual "free": agents.  As I recall, Lofton was cut by the Raiders right before the 1989 season started... part of their final pre-season cuts.  The Bills picked him up off waivers. 

Good point. They were waiver wire acquisitions obtained for the $100 waiver fee. Period. And we were lucky teams ahead of us in the waiver acquisition pecking order passed on them. They were never free agents before coming to Buffalo. Free agency wasn’t even a thing when we acquired Tasker and Lofton. 

• Like (+1) 1

Biscuit is the #1 choice hands down because that trade catapulted the Bills into a perennial Super Bowl team.

I am really loving the Diggs trade though, over time this one could be pretty close.

Takeo Spikes, Bryce Paup, Ted Washington, Sam Adams, Jerry Hughes, Mario Williams were all good acquisitions in their own right but none of those moves really transformed the Bills into a contender(I mean Washington and Paup really changed that Bills defense at the time so I get it with those guys)

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

I see Vince Young didn't make the list

Insane how many QBs came through the revolving door. I totally forgot Young played for us.  Kind of irritating that teams don't seem to struggle looking for a QB for years like we did.  Chargers lose Rivers, instantly get Herbert;  Carolina loses Newton, picks up Bridgewater; etc

9 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I love what Diggs is doing of course....he's up there.

#1 for me, Takeo Spikes.  I knew he was an upcoming FA with the Bengals, Bills fans did too.  Remember the fans clapping when he made a tackle?  When I saw we signed him, I was pumped.  This was before I was on message boards and just went to ESPN on the computers in my college cafeteria.  

I was also a big fan of the London Fletcher acquisition.  

I was not happy with the Diggs trade when first announced because I thought we paid too much, obviously Beane is better at this than I am. The only signing I remember being pumped about at first was Mario Williams, which in hindsight was not nearly as impactful as I thought it would be.

I'm with the TKO, he was prob our best franchise pick up all time,

McCoy and Mario were both huge trade pickups.

Diggs might be the best hands down in a few seasons if he continues to play at the level observed thus far. 

Edited by Real McNasty

9 hours ago, BruceVilanch said:

Diggs has to be up there, Paup was huge, and honestly Jerry Hughes has been a huge part of the rebuild/culture change.

It’s amazing how overlooked Hughes has been here.  The Bills got him for practically nothing, and he’s been by far the team’s best pass rusher since he walked in the door—and for much of that time he was our ONLY pass rusher. Hell, seven years later, he’s still our second best defensive player...

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

Getting rid of Tyrod Taylor for a 3rd round pick will be one of the happiest, most satisfying, days of my entire life.  As I write this, only the birth of my son beats that trade out.

Not just any third round pick—the FIRST pick in the third round.  Amazing...

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Real McNasty said:

I'm with the TKO, he was prob our best franchise pick up all time,

McCoy and Mario were both huge trade pickups.

Diggs might be the best hands down in a few seasons if he continues to play at the level observed thus far. 

i agree with TKO. That was the most brilliant signing of an impact player. I remember thinking there was no way that would fail. I went out and bought a Takeo jersey and everything.  That jersey purchase, as we all know, totally jinxed it; he tore his Achilles, and was basically done. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Jack Kemp, the Bills 1st franchise QB.  He led the Bills to 2 straight AFL championships & they played in 3 straight AFL championship games.  

This is absolutely the best pickup the Bills ever made. How do you argue with a QB that wins Championships?

What's even better about this one is that the Bills picked up Kemp off waivers! 2 Championships with QB picked up off waivers? Only Brady's 6th round draft status beats that for return on investment for a team.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Not sure why so many people say Takeo. 
Bills were a losing team without him, and were a losing team with him. 

I think it’s got to be a player from the 90s teams or current team. 

bennett
Lofton

Paup

Hughes

Feliciano

Diggs

All things considered probably Bennet right now, but could be any of the last 3 depending on how things shake out the next few years. 

In the modern era TKO is a great one but he also flamed out pretty quickly. He was great in 03 and 04 but then got seriously hurt in 05 and although he came back in 06 he was a step slower that year and by 07 he was out of Buffalo. So his acquisition only really was for 2 high end seasons and one OK season.

Mario was kind of the same way. An OK 2012 and then two great years in 2013 and 2014 followed by a flame out in 2015 and then gone. Paup was another short lived signing great year one but then just two solid years before he left.

If I am looking at the best acquisitions in terms of longevity and impact I could be making a case for Hyde and Poyer. They have been anchoring the safety positions for the past 4 seasons at a Pro Bowl or near Pro Bowl level and they probably will be the starting safety combo next season and possibly 2022. 

Even if they just give the team one more good season that's 5 years of anchoring the back end of the secondary and for most of that time they were under market rate (Poyer only just now on a market level extension.) 

The only other free agency acquisition that gave this team 5 years of good play is London Fletcher. But Poyer and Hyde could be looking at 6 years if they play two more seasons. 

In terms of trades Huges is an all time great one both in terms of peak value and longevity of production.

Edited by billsfan89