Who is your favorite Bills free agent acquisition/trade of all time?

I'll never forget the excitement I felt when we signed Paup, it was like Christmas morning. Had a similar feeling when we signed TKO. Then the same with Diggs.

I had tempered excitement with the TO & Mario Williams signings.

• Like (+1) 2

There's some good names (& big names) to choose from but shoot...as far as underrated...laying the foundation signings...Hyde and Poyer were amazing additions in turning this thing around. Williams, Spikes, Paup, Larry Centers, Speilman, TO, Stroud were all good signings but they were established names. The 2 safeties were quiet, no hype, under the radar signings...or maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Mario is the first name that came to mind.  im 32 and that was the first real big player we acquired (FA).  one of those guys i thought we had no shot at as usual. i remember where i worked and sitting at my desk reading what.......... 65pages? LOL!  He immediately was the biggest player on the field and so fun to watch in matchups.  that last year really rubbed me the wrong way, but in hindsight that was as equally rexs fault as it was mario.  came during a really hard week in my life too, so it sticks out as a nice distraction.

You guys are so young.

Jack Kemp and Cookie weren’t bad free agent pickups.

Biscuit was best trade but Leonard Smith is a little underrated.

Like someone said, Bobby Moore a/k/a Ahmad Rashad was a tremendous trade but was ruined by letting him go so soon over about $25K.

Robert James probably best UDFA.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

zero impact.

Well...he produced, like he was supposed to.  If you are judging individual impact by team success...then sadly, nobody mentioned in this thread had that kind of impact.  He was never the reason those teams didn't win.

Edited by Buftex

How has Flutie not even been mentioned?  

My ranks:

Flutie 

Bennett

Diggs 

Paup

Lofton

I can't rank anyone from 2001 to 2014 with all due respect to Mario and Hughes.  

In fact, its Flutie and it might not even be close after that.  Guy got cheated out of the Tennesse game and I still to this day have no doubt his ability to run and make plays due to relentless pressure was badly needed that day.  RJ was horrific in that game until the last drive.  This isn't even arguable.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I love what Diggs is doing of course....he's up there.

#1 for me, Takeo Spikes.  I knew he was an upcoming FA with the Bengals, Bills fans did too.  Remember the fans clapping when he made a tackle?  When I saw we signed him, I was pumped.  This was before I was on message boards and just went to ESPN on the computers in my college cafeteria.  

I was also a big fan of the London Fletcher acquisition.  

Same Spikes but Brandon

I know he wasn't here for a long time but loved the way he played

Bryce Paup and Ted Washington..........in the same offseason..........that was unbelievable and those two signings totally transformed the identity of the team from offensive to defensive.

Donahoe cutting Ted Washington was the key personnel loss that brought the Bills winning culture to instant ruin and cast them adrift with all the other rudderless franchises.

• Like (+1) 1

Frank Lewis WR in Chuck Knox Era.

From Wikipedia

Frank Douglas Lewis (born July 4, 1947) is a former professional American football wide receiver who played for the Pittsburgh Steelers and Buffalo Bills in the National Football League (NFL) for 13 seasons.

Lewis was drafted by the Steelers in the first round of the 1971 NFL Draft. He won two Super Bowl rings with the team, in Super Bowl IX and Super Bowl X.[1]

In August 1978 the Steelers traded Lewis to the Bills in exchange for tight end Paul Seymour. Seymour was returned by the Steelers when he failed to pass their physical.[2] Lewis, however, remained with the Bills and the Steelers ended up receiving no compensation in the trade.[3]

Lewis was a Pro Bowl selection in 1981 as a member of the Bills. In his pro career, he caught 397 receptions for 6,724 yards and 40 touchdowns.[1]

So we got a really good WR for nothing!

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Bryce Paup and Ted Washington..........in the same offseason..........that was unbelievable and those two signings totally transformed the identity of the team from offensive to defensive.

Donahoe cutting Ted Washington was the key personnel loss that brought the Bills winning culture to instant ruin and cast them adrift with all the other rudderless franchises.

I agree completely.

Wait...what just happened?

3 hours ago, Haslett_Stomp said:

Biscuit.  Got a great LB for an injury-prone RB.

They also gave up two first round picks and a second round pick. 

3 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Bennett...Kelly said halfway through his first game against the Broncos he was being triple teamed because he was wrecking them that day

I was at that game. Go back and watch the tape. He got a hurry or sack early in the game. Then they lined him up behind Bruce and Elway looked over and called timeout 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Probably biscuit. I'm really loving the Diggs trade though and have since day one. 

The Diggs trade could go down as the best trade in the history of the Bills. Only time will tell, but the potential is there.

Edited by CLTbills
  • Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

We could’ve won the SB in 2000, that defense was just amazing.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Not surprisingly he ended up being an important part of the first Patriots Super Bowl team

It seems that Cookie Gilchrist was a free agent when the Bills acquired him. He'd played in the CFL, ala Flutie.

During the three years he played for the Bills:

AFL MVP (1962)

First 1000 yard rusher in AFL history.

Set pro football single game rushing record (243 yards)

Ran for 122 yards in 1964 AFL championship game (Bills won)

John Madden: "Cookie Gilchrist may have been the best blocking running back that ever played the game."

• Like (+1) 1