4th highest pressure rate in NFL

BillsMafi$

Almost every QB we face are not looking for deep passes.  Fitz darnold carr tanny Goff all got ball out of hands immediately.  Therefore pressure doesn't get home.  

2 minutes ago, TonyBeets said:

This is a nice statistics and honestly it's evident by watching the game.  The problem is our horrendous run defense!

Yes and no.  Its also the fact that teams have 5 to 7 yard passes in middle of field whenever they want.  

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, BillsMafi$ said:

Just seen on sportscenter that the Bills have the 4th highest pressure rate in the NFL

surprising .

25 percent of the Bills games have involved the Jets, which to date is the highest percentage for any team (because the Bills have played them twice). Factor that in.

20 minutes ago, TonyBeets said:

This is a nice statistic and honestly it's evident by watching the game.  The problem is our horrendous run defense!

Again, Jets.

• Like (+1) 2

One of my least favorite stats in the NFL.  It's akin to keeping a stat saying a Quarterback had the highest percentage of passes that were almost caught. 

Its too subjective.  What constitutes a "pressure" how close do you have to be to the QB?  And who decides that?

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Like (+1) 2

But they haven't contained the QB super well. They'll get pressure but allow a lane for the QB to escape the pocket and make a throw on the run, or pick up yards with their feet.

I'd actually like to see them stay in their rushing lanes better and contain the QB and running backs even if that means less pressure.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

25 percent of the Bills games have involved the Jets, which to date is the highest percentage for any team (because the Bills have played them twice). Factor that in.

Again, Jets.

GREAT point!

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not sure how exactly they define "pressure" but there may be two kinds:

1.  Jerry Hughes beats his man with a swim move, pressures the QB who steps up to avoid Hughes and then gets sacked by Oliver.

2.  Jerry Hughes beats his man with a swim move, pressures the QB who steps up to avoid the sack and delivers a strike for a first down.

Pressure is good.  Sacks are better.  To get sacks, it helps to have multiple points of pressure and that hadn't been happening nearly enough earlier this season.

Edited by hondo in seattle

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

One of my least favorite stats in the NFL.  It's akin to keeping a stat saying a Quarterback had the highest percentage of passes that were almost caught. 

Its too subjective.  What constitutes a "pressure" how close do you have to be to the QB?  And who decides that?

Pass rush win rate how often the player is beating his block within 2.5 seconds 

They define pressure as any defender that affects the QB in the pocket. Whether that be forcing him to step up/scramble, hitting him on a pass play, or sacking him.

This is just my opinion but getting sacks is a combination of pressure, coverage and collapsing the pocket so the QB can't just step up to avoid the outside pressure. The Bills have gotten good pressure on the outside, Hughes especially, but with the lack of pressure up the middle and the soft off coverage the QB is able to get rid of the ball or step up to avoid the sack. 

4 hours ago, BillsMafi$ said:

Just seen on sportscenter that the Bills have the 4th highest pressure rate in the NFL

surprising .

There were so many plays that we were close in getting a sack but miss tackle in ( general) hurt this defense from finishing the plays and getting of the field 

Edited by Putin
  • Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, johnnywo said:

Its a little later in the season than the turn around from last season...but I'm hoping for the same result.  

really don't see this team having its crap together until after the bye and guys (Brown, Milano, Edmunds, Morse, etc etc etc) can get healthy.   I can see 6-4 (7-3 best case) heading into the bye (everyone losing their sh-t ) and then 5-1 to finish 11-5.   

Obviously not all pressures mean the same thing.  I'm not going to argue with their methods but I just don't care about this stat.  Whatever pressure they are bringing it is not resulting in turnovers.  That is all that matters.  Modern defense is bend but don't break, hope for a miscue by the offense that puts them in long down and distance, and getting turnovers.  

1 hour ago, Real McNasty said:

High in pressure but with horrendous 2nd tier or LB play we get toasted.

This.   Middle of field wide open.  And when these guys blitz....well its like they do it with their eyes closed.   Just run right the ***** into the blocker.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/7/2020 at 4:15 AM, dave mcbride said:

Again, Jets.

If you want to focus on that, you also have to point out that we also played the Chiefs and Titans, two of the absolute best in the league.

Overall, our schedule has been tougher than average.

The defense hasn't been especially good this year. If what we're doing is working in one area, that's great, let's look at that, without forgetting the areas where things aren't going so well.

On 11/7/2020 at 10:55 AM, Ethan in Portland said:

Obviously not all pressures mean the same thing.  I'm not going to argue with their methods but I just don't care about this stat.  Whatever pressure they are bringing it is not resulting in turnovers.  That is all that matters.  Modern defense is bend but don't break, hope for a miscue by the offense that puts them in long down and distance, and getting turnovers.  

That's just not true, turnovers aren't all that matter. Rushed throws that fall incomplete matter plenty too. Open receivers the QB didn't have time to see or hit matter.

Pressures are excellent, they lower lower the effectiveness of the QB and the whole passing game. Sacks are better, they lower effectiveness even more, but pressures are good.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

That's just not true, turnovers aren't all that matter. Rushed throws that fall incomplete matter plenty too. Open receivers the QB didn't have time to see or hit matter.

Pressures are excellent, they lower lower the effectiveness of the QB and the whole passing game. Sacks are better, they lower effectiveness even more, but pressures are good.

Indeed. It amazes me that McDermott has been here four years. People have watched four years of this scheme but it is like they don't see what is actually happening. Collapsing pockets and disrupting timing is an objective of this defense. It isn't just a means of trying to achieve sacks, it is an objective in itself. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/6/2020 at 1:54 PM, Captain_Quint said:

And we have very few defensive turnovers, too. 

This is the key.

Is their an advanced stat out there for missed interceptions? We’ve got to be near the top in that category!

Edited by Buffalo Boy
  • Haha (+1) 1