Bills reportedly unlikely to trade McCoy and plan to keep him through 2019

YoloinOhio

Put me down as a "Don't trade Shady" poster. I think it would hurt the growth of this team more than a future 3rd-5th pick will help. He was just named a team captain. He has been in Josh's corner and they've already built a good relationship. He can still ball. He and Ivory look to be developing into a great tandem. And he has become a Buffalo guy.

I wouldn't even consider it for a single draft pick (unless it was a first). I could understand the team doing it if they actually got a 2nd and 3rd. We all know that Beane loves to play the draft, and an extra 2nd and 3rd are some really good chips to have. But anything less than that and I don't think you can even think about it. A 4th or 5th? I'd laugh right in their faces.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, folz said:

Put me down as a "Don't trade Shady" poster. I think it would hurt the growth of this team more than a future 3rd-5th pick will help. He was just named a team captain. He has been in Josh's corner and they've already built a good relationship. He can still ball. He and Ivory look to be developing into a great tandem. And he has become a Buffalo guy.

I wouldn't even consider it for a single draft pick (unless it was a first). I could understand the team doing it if they actually got a 2nd and 3rd. We all know that Beane loves to play the draft, and an extra 2nd and 3rd are some really good chips to have. But anything less than that and I don't think you can even think about it. A 4th or 5th? I'd laugh right in their faces.

I'd draft a RB extremely high and restructure Shady's contract so he is the highest paid 3rd down back in the NFL. Could you imagine that? He lost a step but he has enough left that I think he can be a dominant 3rd down guy, he'd thrive in that role. Alas, his career is reborn again as a Darren Sproles/Kevin Faulk back. It would add a lonnnnnnng time to his career and he wouldn't have to take a huge paycut.

3 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I would argue that without Shady we don't win last Sunday, and would further argue that running that four minute offense, and going down the field for the win, using all of the time, was invaluable experience for Allen. 

I don't think there is any doubt.

This is one of those situations where the juice ain't worth the squeeze if it's not at least a first or second round pick............and the Eagles would be roundly criticized if they traded that kind of capital for McCoy. 

It's a matchup league and trading or acquiring players can have a domino effect on the rest of the roster.

You could argue that Zay Jones being forced into WR1 role because of the ill-advised Sammy Watkins trade might have put more pressure on Zay than he could handle and ultimately may require he get a change of scenery to ever get his game together............flushing a high second round pick.......and leading to the failed Kelvin Benchthatman trade for a 3rd. 

As suspect as the talent is around Allen I'd be concerned about the cost to Allen's development.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DuckyBoys said:

2nd or bust  I'd rather have Shady here catching swing passes from Josh through the end of 2019 than a lousy 4th or 5th round pick

Damn right. And even 2nd rounders... how many have been superstars? Shady is one, and who can be sure he really is finished because he's 30?

Depends on what's his cap space if he stays next year, compared to if he isn't.

I'd hate to see him go. He and Allen have obviously bonded for a while. At least for him to get back to Philly for a SB run is awesome but as a fan I'd rather he be part of the team. Is Ivory signed for more than this year? If so both of them can extend their careers by sharing the carries.

I'm actually wondering why/who leaks this. My theory: Eagles leaked this so McCoy knows they're trying to bring him back and he puts pressure on the Bills to make the deal. For all we know he's already expressed his discontent with the limited usage and McDermott has just downplayed it. I think McCoy likes it here and is working well with Allen, but chance to return home with a playoff run would still win out.

Prediction is Bills make the trade for a 3rd and 6th, bring back Gillislee.

I’ve been telling my buddy all preseason and season. I don’t think McCoy is the type of runner they want. Ivory is what they are looking for. 

Im not saying it’s a good idea, but if they aren’t going to use McCoy then he’s not worth the money. If he’s on the field then he’s worth the money. 

I have ave a feeling they will get a 2nd and a 6th for him. 

52 minutes ago, Estro said:

What I'm asking for if I'm the Bills (and I'm asking for more than what I think I'll get because you always anchor high in negotiations):

Bills get:  The better 2nd round pick  and the better 6th round pick

Eagles get:  Bills 3rd round pick

What I'd settle for: Bills get Eagles worse 2nd rounder and the Eagles get the Bills 3rd round pick.

Our 3rd will be an early 3rd, their better 2nd will probably be a later 2nd. I don't think that's a good deal for us.

I'd give them Shady for a 2nd and I think Shady himself could understand that. 

Once again, we're talking about a RB that would be a 1st down machine if used as our 3rd down back. Draft a RB high to take the beating on 1st and 2nd down, Shady comes in on 3rd down and clutch situations. He would make more money here than he would anywhere else. I think Sproles got 6.5 million/yr, I'd give Shady slightly more than that. Would probably keep him playing at a high level for another 2-3 years easy.

2 hours ago, Ga boy said:

IF they offer a 2nd, sign on the dotted line in a skinny minute.  He could get hurt in the next game.  He's probably only good for 8 more games max this year.  It gets worst next year.  We won't get anything then.  The Eagles want him bad.  Shady would love to go home.  Call'em now.  Josh needs to find friends his own age.

Plus who knows how Shady’s shady off-field drama plays out—still lurking in the background, and wouldn’t it be such a Bills outcome to have Goodell jump down from his ivory tower sometime still this year and suspend him 4 games or something like that, right after the Bills turn down an offer for him that includes immediate WR help. Can totally imagine this happening, reflexively as a long suffering fan.

1 hour ago, Estro said:

https://www.phillyvoice.com/philadelphia-eagles-2019-draft-picks/

Round How acquired 
 1 Eagles' own pick 
 2 Eagles' own pick 
 2 Acquired from Ravens during 2018 NFL Draft 
 3 Eagles' own pick
 4 Eagles' own pick 
 5 (projected) Compensatory pick 
 5 Eagles' own pick 
 6 Eagles' own pick 
 6 (projected) Compensatory pick 
6 (projected) Compensatory pick 
 7 Either the Eagles' own pick, or the pick acquired from Broncos for Allen Barbre, depending on which one they traded during the 2018 NFL Draft (for Mailata), which has yet to be determined.
 7 (projected) Compensatory pick 

What I'm asking for if I'm the Bills (and I'm asking for more than what I think I'll get because you always anchor high in negotiations):

Bills get:  The better 2nd round pick  and the better 6th round pick

Eagles get:  Bills 3rd round pick

What I'd settle for: Bills get Eagles worse 2nd rounder and the Eagles get the Bills 3rd round pick.

If the Eagles make the playoffs and Bills don’t the You would trade Shady for moving up 20 spots in the draft??? It could even be less than that if Eagles make the SuperBowl and Bills are bottom 5. That would amount to moving up less than 10 spots, maybe even less.

Shady for a 2nd round pick straight up. It is way overpaying but the Eagles may be in desperation mode. Take advantage of them or don’t make the deal.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

The Eagles worse 2nd rd pick (Ravens) will likely be a late 2nd. Bills 3rd will likely be an early 3rd.

You're suggesting the Bills trade McCoy to just move up 10-15 spots in the middle of the draft???

Yes.

Let's say the Eagles lower draft pick in round 2 is #58.  That's worth 320 on the draft value trade chart.

Let's say the Bills select #72 in round 3.  That's worth 230 points.

The difference of 90 points is the equivalent to a high 4th round pick.....which in my opinion is about as good as you could hope for in trading an expensive, older RB who has next to no chance of being on your roster next year.....and isn't performing at a high level what soever this year.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Estro said:

Yes.

Let's say the Eagles lower draft pick in round 2 is #58.  That's worth 320 on the draft value trade chart.

The difference of 90 points is the equivalent to a high 4th round pick.....which in my opinion is about as good as you could hope for in trading an expensive, older RB who has next to no chance of being on your roster next year.....and isn't performing at a high level what soever this year.

Why dump him then? Can't we have anything nice?

1 hour ago, disco said:

I'm actually wondering why/who leaks this. My theory: Eagles leaked this so McCoy knows they're trying to bring him back and he puts pressure on the Bills to make the deal. For all we know he's already expressed his discontent with the limited usage and McDermott has just downplayed it. I think McCoy likes it here and is working well with Allen, but chance to return home with a playoff run would still win out.

Prediction is Bills make the trade for a 3rd and 6th, bring back Gillislee.

On a similar line of thinking my theory is the Eagles are trying to soften the Steelers ask on Bell.  If the Steelers are adamant on a 2nd rounder and the Eagles don't want to pay that price, it'd be smart to leak that you're interested in Shady and perhaps get the Steelers to come down a bit in their asking price.  It's all about leverage.  

In the end I see Bell being traded to the Eagles for 2 mid round picks and the Steelers kicking back a 7th in addition to Bell.  

5 minutes ago, Estro said:

Yes.

STOP!!!! 

12 hours ago, Logic said:

I'm pretty torn about this.

On the one hand, the Bills have already pretty much stripped the offense to the nubs. Getting one more good draft pick in exchange for a player who likely won't be around when the Bills are ready for prime time potentially makes sense.

On the other hand, McCoy is a locker room leader, a team captain, and has a great relationship with Allen. Taking away the ONE good offensive player the Bills have -- and thus making life even HARDER on their rookie QB -- might be a foolhardy move.

The question, of course, is what would the compensation be? Anything less than a 2nd rounder (which I doubt the Eagles would be willing to part with) probably isn't worth it. Why? Because, again, you don't want to make Allen's difficult development even MORE difficult by stripping him of another good offensive player and a mentor/leader in the locker room.

Done it once by taking sammy away from Tyrod . I don't think his relationship with Allen means much to them. 

I'm in no hurry to move McCoy for anything less than a 2nd either. The unknown factor in all this is what McCoy actually wants also. If he wants to be here I'd say keep him.

Also I keep reading that McD wanted the KC 1st round pick because he didn't trust Whaley's judgement and essentially wanted to wait till Beane got here to decide on a QB of the future but why is everyone assuming that Whaley would have drafted Mahomes otherwise? Don't get me wrong. I wanted Mahomes. A lot of people on this site wanted Mahomes. But we will never really know whether Whaley wanted Mahomes.

7 minutes ago, Agent 91 said:

Done it once by taking sammy away from Tyrod . I don't think his relationship with Allen means much to them. 

Sammy wasn't dependable. He was injured some of the time and was heading towards a big payday that was hard to justify given the Bills salary cap situation at the time as well. Now the Bills have a huge salary cap surplus in 2019 and beyond. Totally different situation.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Estro said:

Yes.

Why trade him now for 4th round value they will get next year?

What would they get for him at the end of the season... a 5th maybe? 

In the meantime he can play here the rest of the year and at least take a little pressure off JA...

I believe this is shady's last year with the bills, 2019 is the last year of his current contract.

the bills save $6.5 mil in cap space by cutting him after this season and before next season.

it's better to trade a year early, than a year late.

I understand everyone’s perspective. It’s a tough call -if this is legit.

My take: He’s the Captain of my favorite team and is enroute to a HOF ending for his career. If he retires as a Bill, he’ll go into the Hall as a Bill. Traded back to Philly, he goes in as an Eagle. I’m a homer. I hope he stays a Bill.

• Like (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

My take: He’s the Captain of my favorite team and is enroute to a HOF ending for his career. If he retires as a Bill, he’ll go into the Hall as a Bill. Traded back to Philly, he goes in as an Eagle. I’m a homer. I hope he stays a Bill.

All of this is very true, however if they are offering a 2nd round pick for a RB at the end of his career we sort of have to take it.

3 hours ago, Estro said:

Yes.

Draft chart? Come on...those points don't mean anything

4 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Why trade him now for 4th round value they will get next year?

What would they get for him at the end of the season... a 5th maybe? 

In the meantime he can play here the rest of the year and at least take a little pressure off JA...

I’m not the one you’re asking, but my personal opinion is that I think McCoy is cut in the offseason, so the options are either to get something for him now, or to hold onto him for this wasted season to try to benefit Josh and then lose him for nothing.

a 4th round pick is where I start to consider trading him. Anything more than that, I would say yes. Anything less and I wouldn’t bother. 

16 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

This is somewhat of an easy negotiation for Beane. You just decide what is the minimum you want for a guy you don't have to or want to trade. Not the same thing as what you are asking for or any report from anyone anywhere. Just what you feel you want for him. If they reach that threshold you do it. If they don't you don't. The only negotiating should be if a team like the Eagles may be willing to offer you more than what you wanted, then you may raise it a little, at least in the negotiations.

Funny how folks can't see this.  The key phrase is "a guy you don't have to or want to trade."  The Bills have absolutely no need or desire to trade Shady unless somebody is offering something stupid.  He's a captain.  He's still capable of playing at a very high level on a team devoid of offense.  He has bought in to McD's culture.  He will help Allen.

My prediction is that this (trade) doesn't happen.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Agent 91 said:

I think developing Allen is a bit different to them. I don’t know how important Shady is to Allen’s development on the field and in the film room. But these two QB situations are different, regardless. They inherited TT and clearly never really wanted him. They moved heaven and earth to select Josh, right or wrong they are highly invested in him succeeding. 

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I'm wondering that myself.  

Shady can be too important for the Bills.    Philly has bigger issues to deal with.   like 2019 caps issues,   -$20,000,000.00 

yes over the cap.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

If the Eagles choices boil down to win now or not win now, is any cost truly to high?  You get Shady for a second, he's a one year rental giving you the best option at SB #2.  Is the SB worth a second, or only a third or fourth.  Answer seems simple to me.

Whether the Bill's take it is another story. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Estro said:

On a similar line of thinking my theory is the Eagles are trying to soften the Steelers ask on Bell.  If the Steelers are adamant on a 2nd rounder and the Eagles don't want to pay that price, it'd be smart to leak that you're interested in Shady and perhaps get the Steelers to come down a bit in their asking price.  It's all about leverage.  

In the end I see Bell being traded to the Eagles for 2 mid round picks and the Steelers kicking back a 7th in addition to Bell.  

This is probably the case. Certainly part of the Eagles approach, if anything. 

7 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I'm wondering that myself.  

Shady can be too important for the Bills.    Philly has bigger issues to deal with.   like 2019 caps issues,   -$20,000,000.00 

yes over the cap.  

Yes but foles has a 20 mil cap hit and 1.8 dead cap and he won’t be there. Jason Peters has a huge number and probably done. Agalor has a 10 mil cap number and isn’t living to that. Also cox got a restructured deal which opened space. 

if we beat Houston we are 3 - 3 and in the divisional hunt. Allen will get better each week and our defense is starting to gel. This is not a throwaway season. McCoy is an important receiver for our offense. If the offer is too good to be true then take it but otherwise the season is still alive

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Yes but foles has a 20 mil cap hit and 1.8 dead cap and he won’t be there. Jason Peters has a huge number and probably done. Agalor has a 10 mil cap number and isn’t living to that. Also cox got a restructured deal which opened space. 

Correct...always a way around the cap....the good teams figure it out while we sit with dead money and apparently can't sign good players

10 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

That's fair to say that's what you would want to take back but this move is a win now move for Philly to give up a pick/picks for a player that could help them make a run. They aren't going to send back a player like Agholor who helps them win now in a package for Shady that also includes draft capital. I think you could probably pry Warmack as he is a depth player but Philly wants to win in 2018 and they aren't giving up their second best WR, Draft capital, and their best backup OL for a 30 year old RB. 

It just doesn't line up with the needs of the Eagles to send back players in this type of deal. 

And that’s fine b/c I’m not sure Bills want to actually move Shady so the ask should be high and return an important one for the Bills. But, Philly also needs to recognize there aren’t many RBs of Shady’s capability that doesn’t lock you in to a ton of Cap commitment, eg. Bell. He’s a rental in a year when they have all the players to repeat that may not happen in 3 yrs time and committing a lot of Cap room to Wenz and what will be an older RB at that point may not appeal to them, b/c other than Bell I’m not sure who else is available with their respective talent.

I would be saddened but I would probably do it.  I look at it this way.  The division still belongs to the Patriots this year.  Get as many high picks as you can.  The entire OL other than Dawkins needs to be replaced.  If you can get a 2nd and a 3rd for Shady pull it.  That's a C/LG or C/RG Combo.  You need at least two WRs, a CB opposite Tre, an OLB to replace Lorax.  Get the high picks while you can.  Hell get me Josh Allen to replace Lorax.

Early reaction from some Eagle fans:

Anyone Hear That FOP Guy On WIP This Morning?

Does not want Shady here at all said Seth Williams the Ex DA who is in jail now possibly took bribes or was friendly with Shady to drop the case against him with the big nightclub fight in which police were involved. He said he stiffed bartenders and waitresses regularly and hung out with alot of bad people here and name was always brought up alot with police. It was an interesting take.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:50 AM   
Posted in reply to Anthony's post  "Anyone Hear That FOP Guy On WIP This..."
de Madrid

art vandelay is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think the fact that Shady is a complete dick of a person was ever disputed. There were actually times when I was glad he wasn't here anymore. Moving on from him wasn't a DJacc-level mistake, and didn't require a smear campaign.

Who could forget this?

DJ @DonaldTrump on the 1's and 2's . Special invited guests @RexRyan , @chipKelly ,@Rogergodell , my man Barack .oprah, Carli Llyod , and even that terrible waiter with the awful service from the burger joint is invited. Don't bring your Id because there won't be any alcohol anyway. Open smoothie bar all night tho . Don't worry bout the confidentiality agreement. No only are ladies invited but everyone is invited , except hulk hogan he can't come . Maybe even @meekmill and @drake will hit the stage together . Turn up time party time !!!! #shadyinvite #djdonald #donaldplaylist #billsmafia #smoothiebar #byebyeoffseason

-Dominic Rhodes
art vandelay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:54 AM   
Posted in reply to art vandelay's post starting "I don't think the fact that Shady is a..."

McCarthy12 is an unknown quantity at this point

One of the greatest Eagles running backs of all time, but there's a lot of smoke on the abuse front with this guy. I'm no super moralist when it comes to Eagles players, but I'll personally take a pass on Shady.