Bills reportedly unlikely to trade McCoy and plan to keep him through 2019

YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

We B word n moan how Allen has no supporting cast but it's ok to let our best player go for "draft picks"?

Whatever happens I'm fine with McCoy going to a contender in his late stages.

Because we already don’t have a supporting cast.  

27 minutes ago, JPP said:

Even with Mccoy do you really see this team going 9-7?  There is no way this team is going to get a WC spot with the way the afc looks this season so far.........get a good deal out of him if you can....

Actually though. And in reality, Shady will likely not be around when this team is ready to compete week in and week out. We aren't going to the playoffs this year, unless some drastic turnaround happens on offense, but even with Shady they won't make a playoff berth at this rate. He provides a nice counter to Ivory's North/South style which can really create a dynamic run game. But it'll be nothing once teams stack the box and dare us to throw, which we can't do with any semblance of consistency at this point.

The more logical move is to offload him in a way where we can maximize return value and limit the cap hit. Trading him later won't necessarily increase his value, and risk us just releasing him for nothing. I love the guy and would like to see him stay, but if you're thinking of preparing a Bills team to compete in the next year or two, now would be the time to offload him for the greatest potential return.

Edited by ctk232
  • Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

If you were Philly...would you GIVE a second? I wouldn't trade a second for McCoy at this stage of his career. 

But the fact that the rumor broke over 3 hours ago and there are no updates leads me to believe talks arent extending beyond an initial phone call.

If you still think you have a great shot to win the super bowl you do.  They’re already 20 mill over the cap for next season.  Gotta try and get it done this year

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, mannc said:

OK, I did.  Here are the RBs drafted in Rd 3 in the 2016, 17 and 18 drafts:  Alvin Kamara, Kareem Hunt, D'Onta Foreman, James Connor, Kenyan Drake, CJ Prosise, and Royce Freeman. 

So, out of seven guys we've got two superstars, three really good backs who have superstar potential, one guy who started as a rookie then got hurt, and one guy who hasn't lived up to expectations so far.  Not too shabby... 

I was referring to what you said, which was "3rd round or later" Last few years there has been good ones. I would really put on the brakes for guys like James Connor who played five games. 

I know Shady is getting up there in age, and the Bills are nowhere near contending.

It would still be heart-breaking to trade him, though. 

He still basically looks like the same old Shady to me. He still has his burst, can still cut on a dime. It doesn’t appear that he’s slowing down yet, to me. He is probably still our best player on offense. 

But I know that the Bills will probably never have a better opportunity to trade him than right now. And the price will likely be higher to the eagles than any other team just due to sentimentality and “righting a wrong “ by Chip Kelly. 

IMO, I think that if the Eagles are willing to meet the Bills ask, the right thing to do would be to go to Shady and say “hey, do you want to go back to the Eagles?”.

If he says yes, then you make the trade. 

I’d prefer to just keep him, though. 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, dubs said:

No offense, but I can’t stand when people do this. If you want to say it’s likely a later pick in the 2nd round, thats fine. 

But it won’t be like a 3rd. It will in fact be a second round pick if the pick is in the second round. Even if it’s the 32nd pick in the second. It’s still a second. 

I will word it in whatever way I please, I said 'like', not that it IS.

14 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

If you were Philly...would you GIVE a second? I wouldn't trade a second for McCoy at this stage of his career. 

But the fact that the rumor broke over 3 hours ago and there are no updates leads me to believe talks arent extending beyond an initial phone call.

In a heart beat if I thought I had a chance to repeat....would you give a 2nd rounder for a SB?

6 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I know Shady is getting up there in age, and the Bills are nowhere near contending.

He still basically looks like the same old Shady to me. He still has his burst, can still cut on a dime. It doesn’t appear that he’s slowing down yet, to me. He is probably still our best player on offense. 

But I know that the Bills will probably never have a better opportunity to trade him than right now. And the price will likely be higher to the eagles than any other team just due to sentimentality and “righting a wrong “ by Chip Kelly. 

IMO, I think that if the Eagles are willing to meet the Bills ask, the right thing to do would be to go to Shady and say “hey, do you want to go back to the Eagles?”.

I have to say I agree with this. Emotionally don't want to trade him but despite what everyone on the team/coaching staff says this team does not look like it's designed to win this year and that makes it awfully hard to just skip on an opportunity like this.

• Like (+1) 1

Since arriving in Buffalo, Sean McDermott has done a great job of keeping the locker room motivated and playing hard.

Even in the midst of a rebuild, multiple trades, starting a rookie QB - he's somehow managed to convince the players they are going to win every Sunday.

As someone who believes highly in the mental aspect of sports, that's something I don't want to see change.

It's one thing to trade away a malcontent like Marcel Dareus, an underachiever like Sammy Watkins or someone struggling to adapt like Ronald Darby.  It's quite another to trade a team leader, who is clearly the only weapon on offense.  At some point, the players aren't going to hear what McDermott is saying.  They are going to see him sacrificing this season for future picks, and the effort is going to drop.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

They have two second rounders and a bloated cap next season, which would put them in a more win now mindset, despite having the same record as the Bills oddly enough.

Though to your second statement above, I'd have to agree that talks aren't extending at this point given the lack of updates. It seems like a trade now move for the Giants game. Unless Philly is just shopping around right now to see what they'd get before picking up another RB.

To be honest, trading for Shady or Bell at this point, and with their cap situation next year, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense on their end. To be honest, if the Eagles give up a second and third for Shady and end up missing the playoffs anyway, it will be the Bills fleecing the Eagles in a trade 2.0.

Edited by ctk232

23 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

No offense,  but you are FAR more sentimental about this than I am. I’m not claiming to be “right”, but for the right price I’ll let almost anybody but a franchise QB go. It’s nice if the player feels good about it, but it is a business. I am leaning toward trading him for the right price (maybe a 2nd and a late pick?) that might turn into a starting OLineman who could be here for a decade, helping to win games  long after Shady is retired. 

The reason we might get a premium for an expensive, aging running back is not due to any wrongs he suffered, but because the Eagles  are over a barrel and are looking at a SB window that just might be closing. It’s just leverage, not a feel good story. 

My biggest concern would be how you sell that to our locker room. We’re not scoring a ton of points WITH him. Don’t get me wrong, I love him and agree he’s our best player, at least on offense. Belichick would certainly be listening. Move on a little too early,  not too late. 

IMO 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

They have two second rounders and a bloated cap next season, which would put them in a more win now mindset, despite having the same record as the Bills oddly enough.

Though to your second statement above, I'd have to agree that talks aren't extending at this point given the lack of updates. It seems like a trade now move for the Giants game. Unless Philly is just shopping around right now to see what they'd get before picking up another RB.

To be honest, trading for Shady or Bell at this point, and with their cap situation next year, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense on their end. To be honest, if the Eagles give up a second and third for Shady and end up missing the playoffs anyway, it will be the Bills fleecing the Eagles in a trade 2.0.

I think the Eagles will win that division in the end.

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

I think the Eagles will win that division in the end.

Barring any unforeseen injury I'd agree - their division is wide open. But the chances of them beating the Saints or really any other NFC playoff team is unlikely.

1 minute ago, ctk232 said:

Barring any unforeseen injury I'd agree - their division is wide open. But the chances of them beating the Saints or really any other NFC playoff team is unlikely.

You never know. Injuries happen all the time. Rogers got hurt last year. So did Wentz, for that matter. It's no guarantee that Goff and Brees stay healthy. 

4 hours ago, liverpoolkev said:

Whaley didn't draft EJ; Butler did. If Whaley was still here we would have had Mahomes or Watson without giving away our better players. Think about that while inaccurate Josh bless us with his inaccurate passing.      

Butler or Nix?

29 minutes ago, OJ Tom said:

Trading him sends the message "this season means nothing, now go out there and play hurt, play to win, give it your all".

Bad move. 

It doesn’t mean “this season means nothing”.  I’m sure McBeane would see it as “Keep working hard to get better.  We just added 1-2 pieces of the long term foundation by trading a 30 year old rb.  The future is bright”

17 minutes ago, NewEra said:

It doesn’t mean “this season means nothing”.  I’m sure McBeane would see it as “Keep working hard to get better.  We just added 1-2 pieces of the long term foundation by trading a 30 year old rb.  The future is bright”

Pfft.

Yeah..

"bust up your body now, be disciplined now, stay focused now, because next year we're gonna have some pretty good rookies (who might even replace you)."

Inspiring!!!

Edited by OJ Tom

Here is my thought on this and it would be hard to pull off.  But if looking to 2019.  Trade Mccoy for a 2nd if you can get it, maybe couple 3rds and a 4th.  Then in the off season we will have one of the highest salary caps availble and go after lev bell.  You know he wont resign with the steelers and i honestly dont think they will move him this year.

1 minute ago, bkep32 said:

Here is my thought on this and it would be hard to pull off.  But if looking to 2019.  Trade Mccoy for a 2nd if you can get it, maybe couple 3rds and a 4th.  Then in the off season we will have one of the highest salary caps availble and go after lev bell.  You know he wont resign with the steelers and i honestly dont think they will move him this year.

That would be nice... It briefs well. Get it done McBeane! Anything less will be considered a fail...

35 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

Not only that but with their cap issues next year I would think they want talented players on rookie deals as opposed to 30 year old RBs making 10 million. If that give up a 2 and keep McCoy for 11 games and possible playoff than cut him to save money it's a bad move. A 2nd for a 1 year rental isn't very sound. 

32 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If (and it is a big if) the Bills were to make this move (say a 2nd and 3rd for Shady and a 5th) they should turn around and deal one of those picks. Send the 3rd to Denver for Demaryius Thomas. Then send Benjamin out and hopefully get that 5th back for him.

Thomas will likely be released at the end of the season, anyway.  Ostensibly his stats are fine but his issues with drops have continued into this year.  And Denver deeply contemplated releasing him last year.  Ultimately he'll be on the market this spring because Denver won't have him account for $17.53 million against the cap, not when Cameron Sutton can capably take his spot.

2 minutes ago, Midwest1981 said:

Thomas will likely be released at the end of the season, anyway.  Ostensibly his stats are fine but his issues with drops have continued into this year.  And Denver deeply contemplated releasing him last year.  Ultimately he'll be on the market this spring because Denver won't have him account for $17.53 million against the cap, not when Cameron Sutton can capably take his spot.

Unfortunately for the Bills though at this point, trading for him and his contract may be the only way to acquire him (or any decent WR). 

Edited by YoloinOhio

17 minutes ago, OJ Tom said:

Pfft.

Yeah..

"bust up your body now, be disciplined now, stay focused now, because next year we're gonna have some pretty good rookies (who might even replace you)."

Inspiring!!!

It’s called a rebuild.  You act as if it’s never been done before.  It’s a business.  

20 minutes ago, COTC said:

Shady has so much baggage.

For a 2nd and 3rd, no brainer. 

No kidding. I wouldn't think twice about taking a 2nd. Shady wasn't going to be on the Bills' roster next season as it is. 

1 hour ago, NewDayBills said:

It would be a 3rd in title only, there would be mostly 4th round prospects available there, not worth it.

Hahaha!  What!?!?  We already had this lesson. 

21 minutes ago, Midwest1981 said:

19 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Unfortunately for the Bills though at this point, trading for him and his contract may be the only way to acquire him (or any decent WR). 

That is my thinking. Amari Cooper is the other name thrown around. I prefer Thomas.

I also wonder if someone like Marvin Jones could be had? I guess it depends on whether or not they keep Tate. Jones and Golladay feels a little redundant. 

47 minutes ago, Augie said:

No offense,  but you are FAR more sentimental about this than I am. I’m not claiming to be “right”, but for the right price I’ll let almost anybody but a franchise QB go. It’s nice if the player feels good about it, but it is a business. I am leaning toward trading him for the right price (maybe a 2nd and a late pick?) that might turn into a starting OLineman who could be here for a decade, helping to win games  long after Shady is retired. 

The reason we might get a premium for an expensive, aging running back is not due to any wrongs he suffered, but because the Eagles  are over a barrel and are looking at a SB window that just might be closing. It’s just leverage, not a feel good story. 

My biggest concern would be how you sell that to our locker room. We’re not scoring a ton of points WITH him. Don’t get me wrong, I love him and agree he’s our best player, at least on offense. Belichick would certainly be listening. Move on a little too early,  not too late. 

IMO 

No offense taken. I admit that I am too sentimental at times. I get attached to Bills and Sabres players, and am always sad to see a guy go. I would never make it as a GM, that’s for sure! lol 

i can see both sides of this argument, probably because I have one foot on each side of the line...

My brain says that this might be the best opportunity that the Bills will ever have to cash in on an aging Shady. 

And my heart says that I want to see McCoy retire as a Buffalo Bill. 

I will understand if they decide to trade Shady for a nice haul (less so if they only got a late 3rd or something like that). But I would be perfectly happy to just keep him, and even re-sign him after next year. 

As far as the locker room - I definitely worry how it would go over. I think a trade would have to be done “the right way”. 

That is one of the reasons why I said that I think you have to ask Shady what he wants. If he wants to stay and the Bills trade him anyway, I don’t see it going over well in the locker room, especially with him being a captain and leader.

But if McCoy truly does want to go back to Philly, I think guys will be more understanding of a trade. 

I also worry about Josh Allen. He already has next to nothing on offense. McCoy is pretty much the only weapon that an opposing coordinator has to actually worry about. Does trading him hurt Allen’s development? He’s already in a less than ideal situation, to put it nicely... 

I’m glad I am not the one making these decisions... lol. 

• Like (+1) 1