Bills reportedly unlikely to trade McCoy and plan to keep him through 2019

YoloinOhio

8 minutes ago, dubs said:

Hahaha!  What!?!?  We already had this lesson. 

Lesson? What lesson? 

If you pick #64, what kind of prospects will be available? 2nd round prospects or 3rd round prospects?

Yes, a bunch of 3rd round prospects will be on the board. I thought you were supposed to be smart? Why are you making me spell it out to you? Can't you read between the lines?

2 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

If I were Beane I would not even consider what they are talking about.  Sounds like the Philly guys expect the Bills to be the proverbial country rube that just fell off of the turnip truck.

They still think his value is a one-kneed Kiko

5 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The Super Bowl window is very small for any team not in New England. If the Eagles believe a guy like McCoy could get them back there, which they might regardless of its veracity, they will overpay, and maybe by a lot. That doesn’t mean they believe McCoy is the missing link but it’s possible. 

Nfl trades, for some reason, are very often not for what a player is really worth. It’s often for way more or way less. 

I think Pittsburgh is ready to move on from L.Bell and he ends up in Philly.

9 minutes ago, OJ Tom said:

Oh, it's been done before.

And it’s about time one of our newly hired regimes gives it a try.  Sometimes rebuild work.  Sometimes they don’t.  I’d like to give it a shot for once.  

1 minute ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

The big problem there is money.  They’re already 20 mill over the cap for next season.  Shadys hit is pretty big for a rb but bell is going to double it.  Not sure they’d be able to make it work and still keep the prices needed to contend 

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

And it’s about time one of our newly hired regimes gives it a try.  Sometimes rebuild work.  Sometimes they don’t.  I’d like to give it a shot for once.  

The big problem there is money.  They’re already 20 mill over the cap for next season.  Shadys hit is pretty big for a rb but bell is going to double it.  Not sure they’d be able to make it work and still keep the prices needed to contend 

How about a 2nd next year and a 3rd the next?

A 2nd round pick could net us a decent OL or a WR (or gasp....maybe a TIGHT END!)

3 minutes ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

Not as simple as what you are talking.  I don't think  that Philly has a lot of cap room currently and definitely has cap issues for 2019.  Bell is holding out for a big contract and he would want some firm assurances to go to Philly starting today that he gets paid what he wants in terms of salary.

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Nope. Josh Reed is a sports reporter on channel 4 in Buffalo 

I would be beyond pissed off if the Bills accepted a 4th for Shady. 

But I cant imagine them doing that.

Honestly, as far as I’m concerned, anything less than a 2nd and they can take a hike, and really, I’d want the rumored 2nd + 3rd. Or a 2nd + decent player. 

A 3rd is probably fair value, but IMO it’s just not worth it to trade McCoy for a (most likely late) 3rd round pick. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Logic said:

I'm pretty torn about this.

On the one hand, the Bills have already pretty much stripped the offense to the nubs. Getting one more good draft pick in exchange for a player who likely won't be around when the Bills are ready for prime time potentially makes sense.

On the other hand, McCoy is a locker room leader, a team captain, and has a great relationship with Allen. Taking away the ONE good offensive player the Bills have -- and thus making life even HARDER on their rookie QB -- might be a foolhardy move.

The question, of course, is what would the compensation be? Anything less than a 2nd rounder (which I doubt the Eagles would be willing to part with) probably isn't worth it. Why? Because, again, you don't want to make Allen's difficult development even MORE difficult by stripping him of another good offensive player and a mentor/leader in the locker room.

Valid points all the way around. Risking losing the locker room is too great and Allen needs him. The only way you do this is by setting a huge ransom- the Eagles wanna make another run and may pay a hefty price- time will tell. 

Sounds as though someone is all inspired by the thought that we slung Mr Big Stuff out of town for a conditional fifth, and figures we'd do the same for Shady.

I think the Dareus trade was a bad idea and a fire sale, but apparently he and McDermott just couldn't get along and it did clear cap.

That's not at all true from what we know about Shady.

Trading Shady even for a 2nd round pick would under-represent his value to the team IMO.  Trading him for a 4th with a 5th back would be nucking futz

18 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

If I were Beane I would not even consider what they are talking about.  Sounds like the Philly guys expect the Bills to be the proverbial country rube that just fell off of the turnip truck.

That's what the value of an old running back is. McCoy is FAR more valuable on the team than dealing him for a late round pick.

4 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I would be beyond pissed off if the Bills accepted a 4th for Shady. 

But I cant imagine them doing that.

Could you have imagined the trade of Marshawn Lynch in his prime for what they got for him? A 4th and a 5th?

I have each side has to relealize what they are getting and what the other team is giving up. Shady is a team Captain who is helping Allen get acclimated. He’s not just an aging RB. The Eagles should appreciate this team dynamic, irrespective to what they hope to receive from Shady. 

As as for any signal that the Bills “gave up” on the season, the players should realize that a team is not an individual. We have other decent RBs. That said, to help ease any perceived pain, they should send us a player back that we need. It will then be seen as addressing a need, rather than jettisoning our best RB. 

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

S

Trading Shady even for a 2nd round pick would under-represent his value to the team IMO.  Trading him for a 4th with a 5th back would be nucking futz

While I love Shady, I wouldn't mind parting with him in a player for player trade that brings help on O. Ivory has been running pretty hard

5 hours ago, Cotton Fitzsimmons said:

As in John Butler? 

Cue Edith Baines Bunker voice: 

Those were the days... you knew who the Bills were then. Every year the wins were more than 10! The offense sure could use a man like Reed or Lofton again!

Didn’t have no botched field goal fakes... the offense always pulled it’s weight. And gee old Thurman ran great... THOSE WERE THE DAYYYS!

Well done, sir!  Bravo!

:worthy:

Ivory has had some good games for Buffalo, including the one McCoy sat.

I also like Murphy who has looked great at times.

If we can get a 2nd and 3rd for McCoy I'd say do it.  As much as I love Shady, he's more of a east-west guy, and at 30 he doesn't have many years left in him.

Those 2nd and 3rd rounders could be starters for our team for years to come.  

Beane has done well in the draft after the 1st round so I'm all for it.

I also read that Tevin Coleman might be available from Falcons. He would give us some added value as a receiver out of the backfield and can line up as WR as well as RB.  IF we could swing him for a 6th I'd be all for that. 

I think with McCoy gone, and having a backfield of Ivory, Murphy and Coleman that would give Josh ample weapons in the backfield to be successful.

Edited by dezertbill

5 hours ago, Logic said:

I sincerely doubt the Eagles would give up even a 2nd, let alone a 2nd and a player.

At McCoy's age, the Bills are looking at a 3rd round pick AT most, and more likely a 4th or 5th. If I'm right about that, Bills would be better served by hanging onto him.

AND all that cap space. So ultimately the pick would come with a player being signed next year.

anything day 2 I take in a heartbeat. Early day 3 I think harder on but I think a 4 I make the move. It’s less than 3 months of McCoy on the roster. A day 3 and a player is also a nice option.

9 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Like Stainless Steel Straws! :lol:

To be fair, just mccoy isn’t making a big difference to allen. Either give him tools now or get resources to do it later. But what’s happening now hardly seems productive.

I’m trying to picture McCoy’s thoughts right now.  

Would he be happy to go back?

Does he actually like the team and/or the town?

Is he upset that the Bills would even entertain the idea?

Is he thinking that it’s just business?

Is he thinking he needs to be on a better team for HoF consideration?

Is he thinking it’s a better probability of playing for a ring?

7 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

AND all that cap space. So ultimately the pick would come with a player being signed next year.

anything day 2 I take in a heartbeat. Early day 3 I think harder on but I think a 4 I make the move. It’s less than 3 months of McCoy on the roster. A day 3 and a player is also a nice option.

To be fair, just mccoy isn’t making a big difference to allen. Either give him tools now or get resources to do it later. But what’s happening now hardly seems productive.

To be fair I believe it is and it could always be worse with the team still trying to win games this season. 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

How about a 2nd next year and a 3rd the next?

A 2nd round pick could net us a decent OL or a WR (or gasp....maybe a TIGHT END!)

I’d trade him for just a 2nd.  No questions asked.  I’d consider trading him for a 3rd.  I’d rather have Harrison Phillips and his contract than shady.  I’d rather have Taron Johnson and his contract over shady. Shady is better at the moment, but he’s not going to be around for the finished product.  I’ll take the building blocks over a rb than can help us get to 7-8 wins max this year and maybe be around next year. 

I love shady.  Watching the bills without will suck for the remainder of the year.  It will suck for josh Allen. It will suck for our W/L record.  I want a super bowl gents.  It’s very unlikely shady will ever contribute to that.  I’ll take the pick that may

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

Shady and a 5th (we have two) for Philly's 3rd & Agholor and Chance Warmack

Whatever you are on I will have two. Do you honestly think Philly is going to give up a swap of a 3rd and 5th along with one of their best receivers on a rookie contract and throw in Warmack for Shady a 30 year old RB not having the best season and on a significant contract? Get real here, this is a player for picks trade, maybe the Bills can get Warmack as a throw in but the Bills aren't prying away Agholor. 

Philly is trying to improve their chances to win now, giving up O-line depth and a good young WR (While also giving up draft assets) for a older running back just makes no sense.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

Whatever you are on I will have two. Do you honestly think Philly is going to give up a swap of a 3rd and 5th along with one of their best receivers on a rookie contract and throw in Warmack for Shady a 30 year old RB not having the best season and on a significant contract? Get real here, this is a player for picks trade, maybe the Bills can get Warmack as a throw in but the Bills aren't prying away Agholor. 

Philly is trying to improve their chances to win now, giving up O-line depth and a good young WR (While also giving up draft assets) for a older running back just makes no sense.

Agholor is their starting WR and Warmack is their key backup G and would step in if Wisniewski gets hurt.  No way they part with key components on a win now team.  

Only hope are draft picks  and a fringe player like Wendell Smallwood. 

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’d trade him for just a 2nd.  No questions asked.  I’d consider trading him for a 3rd.  I’d rather have Harrison Phillips and his contract than shady.  I’d rather have Taron Johnson and his contract over shady. Shady is better at the moment, but he’s not going to be around for the finished product.  I’ll take the building blocks over a rb than can help us get to 7-8 wins max this year and maybe be around next year. 

I love shady.  Watching the bills without will suck for the remainder of the year.  It will suck for josh Allen. It will suck for our W/L record.  I want a super bowl gents.  It’s very unlikely shady will ever contribute to that.  I’ll take the pick that may

Allen is a big reason why I would pause to trade Shady for a 3rd straight up. If Tyrod or a respectable vet QB was starting and Allen wasn't going to be thrown in until the last 5-6 games of the season I would not hesitate to trade Shady for a 3rd straight up. But if the long term game is to develop Allen then taking away his best offensive weapon (When he is already surrounded by such little talent) for a 3rd round pick gives me pause. Now if it was a 2nd round pick straight up I wouldn't hesitate to make the move because that return on Shady is too good to pass up despite the hurt that it could cause short term. 

I wouldn't hate Shady for a 3rd as I get that is a good return for an older player on a big contract (I would love to get Warmack as a throw in even if it meant kicking back a 6th or a 5th.)

2 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Allen is a big reason why I would pause to trade Shady for a 3rd straight up. If Tyrod or a respectable vet QB was starting and Allen wasn't going to be thrown in until the last 5-6 games of the season I would not hesitate to trade Shady for a 3rd straight up. But if the long term game is to develop Allen then taking away his best offensive weapon (When he is already surrounded by such little talent) for a 3rd round pick gives me pause. Now if it was a 2nd round pick straight up I wouldn't hesitate to make the move because that return on Shady is too good to pass up despite the hurt that it could cause short term. 

I wouldn't hate Shady for a 3rd as I get that is a good return for an older player on a big contract (I would love to get Warmack as a throw in even if it meant kicking back a 6th or a 5th.)

I get what your saying and Allen’s development is the only reason I’d hesitate to take just a 3rd.....but I think Allen’s development is bolstered more by an OL/WR/TE/RB that will grow with him over the next 5-10 years as opposed to shady for 1 or 2.  So I’ll take the pick 

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Who signed Hyde to play on the Bills if the Bills don’t like him? This makes no sense. 

Well no, according to Takanka's thinking, the Bills signed Hyde thinking he was just going to be an average signing.  But they screwed up and now  discovered he's actually pretty good, so they will get rid of him!

5 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I’m going to be furious if we trade McCoy. That’s the move that pushes me past the tolerance of Beane. That’s my last straw move. Do not trade him.

Hes a 30 year old back. At this point anything you get back is a gift from the football gods. If it’s a day 2 pick it’s on par with finding a $100 bill on the ground.

15 minutes ago, dezertbill said:

Agholor is their starting WR and Warmack is their key backup G and would step in if Wisniewski gets hurt.  No way they part with key components on a win now team.  

Only hope are draft picks  and a fringe player like Wendell Smallwood. 

A backup wouldn’t be crazy on a win now team that needs a starter somewhere