Where does this season rank?

BritishBill

Been a Bills fan for 16 years and I appreciate that makes me still a baby in terms of what people have gone through. This season has felt like the one of the wildest so far in terms of just never being sure of quite what we are. We seem to have gone from Super Bowl contenders to utter deadbeats from week to week. After every disappointing defeat, we’ve gone and won our next game. And each time we get our acts together and look like possibly Super Bowl contenders, we drop our level in the next game and look like a team that don’t even deserve the playoffs.

We’ve thrashed some excellent teams and lost to some absolute dirt. We’ve blown teams out and lost (and occasionally won) impossibly close games on key moments.

We’ve had massive injuries, a trip to London, beaten the reigning Super Bowl champs in their stadium and been beaten by the worst Patriots team in decades. 

We’ve had an OC change, our HC splitting the fan base down the middle, our best WR causing disruption, and our awesome QB balancing improbable TD numbers with league-leading turnovers. 

Is it just recency bias or does this season feel improbably crazy to people?! Would love to hear about other crazy seasons that compare or even beat this one!

Edited by BritishBill
Spellng
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think you're right. Wildest season I can remember in terms of how we swing from week to week. I go back to 1987 in terms of seasons watched.

Losing to the Jets?? Beating the brakes off the Dolphins, losing to the Broncos?? Crushing Cowboys and beating KC for a third year in a row at Arrowhead. Just schizophrenic, this year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The last two seasons have been as unpredictable as a tv weatherman.  Just when you think it's going to snow, the sun comes out.  Hopefully we have a sunny Super Bowl win to cap this maddening season off, but that's a lot to ask out of this team. Are they capable? Absolutely... Is is probable? Ask the weatherman.  Or the cabbie.

In terms of 50 years of Bills football, these season's still rank in the top 20%.  Only the McDermott teams and the Levy teams were competitive every year.  There were so many years we knew we were bottom feeders and would go out to watch the games and support our team anyway, hoping for an upset. My joy in seeing this turn to Patriot fans is almost as enjoyable.  This time of year most of us would be talking about the draft and free agency and I hope we compete next year. 

We have been given a Christmas gift from the Bills that only happened 19 times in 64 years of the teams history, so I'm going to enjoy it. Merry Christmas TBD'ers.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I remember some of the mid-90

teams being pretty up-and-down.  The HOFers were entering the twilight of their careers, and the OL had started to deteriorate too.  This year is different, in that injuries have decimated the defense and the offense has been struggling with its identity.  In my mind, that’s part of the reason to still have optimism about this team making a run.  The AFC is looking especially weak, the defense has seemingly stabilized, and since Brady has taken over, the offense has generally looked better.  The turnovers the other night were the biggest reason an inspired Chargers team were able to stay in the game.  I’m optimistic this team will be extra sharp next Sunday and beyond.

Edited by strive_for_five_guy
  • Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, BritishBill said:

Been a Bills fan for 16 years and I appreciate that makes me still a baby in terms of what people have gone through. This season has felt like the one of the wildest so far in terms of just never being sure of quite what we are. We seem to have gone from Super Bowl contenders to utter deadbeats from week to week. After every disappointing defeat, we’ve gone and won our next game. And each time we get our acts together and look like possibly Super Bowl contenders, we drop our level in the next game and look like a team that don’t even deserve the playoffs.

We’ve thrashed some excellent teams and lost to some absolute dirt. We’ve blown teams out and lost (and occasionally won) impossibly close games on key moments.

We’ve had massive injuries, a trip to London, beaten the reigning Super Bowl champs in their stadium and been beaten by the worst Patriots team in decades. 

We’ve had an OC change, our HC splitting the fan base down the middle, our best WR causing disruption, and our awesome QB balancing improbable TD numbers with league-leading turnovers. 

Is it just recency bias or does this season feel improbably crazy to people?! Would love to hear about other crazy seasons that compare or even beat this one!

Can’t answer this until the season is over. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Very inconsistent team this year.  I am a 60 plus year fan, and yes, I went to games at the old rockpile as a kid. (my Dad's company had tickets and we got to use them during the bad weather games)  This team could have been a #1 seed, but, they fail to play up to potential many games.  Injuries were bad.  The 13-3 season was a year with few injuries.  Luck of the draw in that regard in the NFL.  The Bills have had other seasons with many injuries, and this team has done better than most in that circumstance.  I will say the  big money guys are not cotributing....Miller, White, Milano, Hyde etc etc.  That hurts more as your alleged top performers give you nothing and you never know if the next man will really step up.   Could this year's version get a deep playoff run?  Not likely imho, as the lack of home field advantage will hurt chances. (assuming the Bills don't get the AFC East title).  However, I think it was 93 or 94, the Bills did go to the SB as a wild card team.  (We're back again year)

I always root for the Bills, and hope the season goes into February, but, not thinking that is too likely in 24.

• Like (+1) 1

This season seems pretty much par for the course IMO.   

As oft noted they were 7-6 thru 13 games in 2021.........same kind of disappointing performance 3/4 of the way thru the regular season as this year.

Last year the Jets and Vikings losses were the inexcusable blown games.........the Lions game was nearly a disastrous upset.......and the Bengals cancellation made a regular season with a strong record feel incomplete.

Mid-season malaises are the way of this team ever since McD got here.........and strong Decembers have been the way since Allen broke out in 2020. 

If they finish the regular season 11-6 we will tend to forget how disappointing they were in the regular season just like the last two seasons.

• Like (+1) 4

11 hours ago, BritishBill said:

Will be the best season ever when we win the Super Bowl.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

8 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

Very inconsistent team this year.  I am a 60 plus year fan, and yes, I went to games at the old rockpile as a kid. (my Dad's company had tickets and we got to use them during the bad weather games)  This team could have been a #1 seed, but, they fail to play up to potential many games.  Injuries were bad.  The 13-3 season was a year with few injuries.  Luck of the draw in that regard in the NFL.  The Bills have had other seasons with many injuries, and this team has done better than most in that circumstance.  I will say the  big money guys are not cotributing....Miller, White, Milano, Hyde etc etc.  That hurts more as your alleged top performers give you nothing and you never know if the next man will really step up.   Could this year's version get a deep playoff run?  Not likely imho, as the lack of home field advantage will hurt chances. (assuming the Bills don't get the AFC East title).  However, I think it was 93 or 94, the Bills did go to the SB as a wild card team.  (We're back again year)

I always root for the Bills, and hope the season goes into February, but, not thinking that is too likely in 24.

This team can't be the 1 seed anymore, but the 2 seed is still within reach thanks to the Chiefs losing today.  All we need is for the Dolphins to lose to the Ravens in Baltimore next weekend (and Buffalo beating NE) and then for the Bills to beat Miami in week 18.  The Ravens winning will depend on how hard they're trying to win, and the Miami game will apparently depend on the phase of the moon or something.

• Like (+1) 1

The biggest issue with this team is turnovers and mid season tanking. Maybe it's coaching?...maybe it's just a lack of discipline and focus?  But these 2 issues hold us back. Even losing Milano and DQ, we should never on any planet have lost to NE, NYJ or Denver.  Josh has had another mvp type season but this annoying "turnover machine" narrative will keep him out again. I can't understand them. This is an incredibly frustrating team to follow. 

• Like (+1) 1

As a life long Bills fan I can definitly feel the same as you do. Wild wild ride so far. 

I´ve been thru the Super Bowls, the Music City Fiasco and so on, but so far this season has been the craziest that I can remember. I have been all over the place, from feeling just flat after the first game to barely untouchable after the Miami victory, then hitting rock bottom after 12th men (even questioning my passion for the game after that game) and now... I feel we can go all the way and finishing the season as SB Champs. 

• Like (+1) 1

Frustrating but still fun because Josh was still able to play every game even though his shoulder was dinged up on the low.  He is worth every penny and then some.  Ed stepped up as a leader and with his play.  Rosseau didn’t turn out to be a bust like I feared and Bernard made everyone forget Edmunds quickly.  Dion is playing like an elite LT.  The future is still bright even if they don’t get it this year.  The window is very much open still. 

• Like (+1) 1

No matter how it turns out, I think it's been a fun (regular) season to watch. Frustrating results aside, the '23 Bills have played in a lot of exciting games, scored a lot of points, beat some really good teams, and had some stellar defensive games. They got some national hype a couple of times during the season (including lately). They didn't ever truly "suck". But they are definitively not 'The Team to Beat' this season. 

All in all, a pretty good (regular) season for the Buffalo Bills, especially when you consider all the injuries they had to deal with. There were just a few too many times on the wrong side of "any given Sunday". 

On 12/25/2023 at 12:24 AM, BritishBill said:

Even back in the 90s, we laid some unexpected duds.  But, yeah, this season is the most unpredictable/"improbably crazy" one I can remember.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.