This will be the first game I miss in 27 years. Thanks NFL

Heavy Kevi

Just now, Just Jack said:

The game is being played in Cali, not Orchard Park.  Financing of the stadium is not relevant. 

Sure it is. 

Money is fungible

So when we pay for the stadium, we're really just putting that amount of cash into Terrys pocket. So the team is subsidized, not just the stadium.

Completely relevant.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 4

51 minutes ago, Heavy Kevi said:

I own a Bills Backer bar.

That's not the point.

They don't though. They did up until a couple weeks ago, but not now. They made the cutoff significantly before this game on purpose to stop people from being able to watch for free.

But I pay taxes that are being taken to build the stadium.

You own a Bills backer bar and are not showing the game there?

Seems like a foolish thing to do out of principal, spite, if true!

It seems it is a perfect weekend for any Bills' bar!,  a day before Christmas Eve, with almost all off work for several days, the Bills on a roll, the second best team in football, fighting for a playoff spot, and people ready to party like crazy.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Mister Defense said:

You own a Bills backer bar and are not showing the game there?

Seems like a foolish thing to do out of principal, spite, if true!

It seems it is a perfect weekend for any Bills' bar!,  a day before Christmas Eve, with almost all off work for several days, the Bills on a roll, the second best team in football, fighting for a playoff spot, and people ready to party like crazy.

Oh, yeah.

Business is king. Of course I'm paying for it at the bar, so I can show it there.

ROI is a thing, and it's not lost on me.

It's separate, though. I don't want to sit in the bar. I want to watch at home where I already pay for several services that should deliver this game.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 3

3 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Sign up for one month and cancel next month.  Your boycot isn't going to stop the NFL's greed.  Just get the subscription and watch the game.

Idk, even huge companies like NFL have bad ideas and abandon them.

This ppv regular season football could fail.

I'm just a grain of sand in the desert, but just like the straw on a camels back, at some point it only takes one more and that camel is dead.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Heavy Kevi said:

Oh, yeah.

Business is king. Of course I'm paying for it at the bar, so I can show it there.

It's separate, though. I don't want to sit in the bar. I want to watch at home where I already pay for several services that should deliver this game.

Wait, what?!?!?!?

You already have a subscription, so you can watch it on three devices at once.   So watch it at home using the same login. 

Edited by Just Jack
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Pull a George Costanza and go watch at a stranger’s house. He did that when they rented the only copy of Breakfast at Tiffany’s and he didn’t want to read the book. But….do NOT spill grape juice on their white sofa or you won’t see the second half! 
Go Bills!

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Heavy Kevi said:

That's not the point though.

Illegal streams are everywhere. Of course.

Half of the responses to this thread have basically been "steal the game"

That should say pretty much everything about the state of the situation. It's rediculous.

I don't want to "steal the game". I don't want to wade through pop-ups, deception, and risk viruses.

It shouldn't be this hard to legally watch a game in my local market, especially a publicly subsidized one.

OK, well I'll let you go throw your own personal pity party. I've got better things to do then attend.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I hear ya. So here’s a complicated workaround: switch your ISP or mobile to Xfinity, and they give you Peacock for free. That’s all I got! 🤷🏼‍♂️

False

they give you peacock but you still won't be able to see the game as you don't get a paid sub to it. You'll still have to sub

sincerely,

Comcrap customer

14 minutes ago, Heavy Kevi said:

Oh, yeah.

The amount of time you’ve spent complaining in this thread is already worth the $6/month.  Reminds me of when other kids used to complain about doing their homework in school.  By the time they were done complaining, my homework would be done and they’d still have to do it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Not sure if its been mentioned in this thread but it isnt exclusive to peacock according to an NBC commercial I saw during the bills game.

If you have NBC, it will be on the commercial said. You do not need peacock.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/buffalo-bills-los-angeles-chargers-peacock-exclusive-nfl/article_36d8863a-9dbb-11ee-af13-ffb55feea892.html

Edit: Nevermind, just saw OP is in Rochester market.

Edited by What a Tuel

1 hour ago, Heavy Kevi said:

I have watched every game for decades. Literally.

Even gotten free trials of fubo, downloaded apps, got up at absurd times to see London games, etc.

But this game isn't on LOCAL ROCHESTER MARKET because piddly little peacock is trying a money grab. 

All the other "exclusives" had free trials, were simulcast on a real network, or even in the case of prime- everyone already has it. But peacock, tiny little bullschitt peacock with nothing worthwhile to offer? The NFL not only isn't afraid, they actively don't like us.

So I can't. I just can't. Sure, I could afford the subscription; but I can't positively reinforce negative behavior by the NFL trying yet another way into fans' pockets. 

They will take our tax money to build the brand new stadium for a billionaire, but we can't even watch the effing game. Pathetic.

I salute you. It’s garbage. I am the same as you— haven’t missed a game in probably like 25 years.

i bit the bullet and got peacock, and am feeling terrible About it. Especially since I already pay for YouTube tv, Sunday ticket, and Amazon prime.

59 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

I'll offer a contrarian opinion here.  There will be consolidation in the streaming services, and some entities bundling various streaming services together with some other service.  Verizon is doing it now with netflix and max (I think?) that they will give you for $10 if you are a customer of VZW.

Most of these services do not have a viable business model and eventually investors are going to expect a return.  At that point the clown car empties out and maybe we'll be left with disney, netflix, max, and from there, i bet we'll see additional consolidation and/or reduction in amount of content generation, which in turn drives people away from those services. 

Cable, or a cable like service, priced right, is going to have a lot of appeal to the casuals out there.  I know Charter/Spectrum was developing an offer that would allow their customers access to netflix content, not sure where that is at today as I'm not a customer, but I could see that happening at scale.  The cable companies, unlike the streaming services, are absolutely cash machines, and may be around to pick up the pieces. 

Do you watch Pablo Torre's podcast by any chance?

Good point btw

Edited by HardyBoy
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bogie_Klinkhammer said:

Only a millennial would consider 9:30 am as an absurd time to get up... 

Laugh Laughing GIF

On the west coast, games start at 10 AM. I would leave the house by 9 AM to get to the bar in time for the game.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I'm trying to understand the principle in all of this.  Stuff costs money.  Sometimes we have to pay a bit more for what seems like the same product.  But if you want Josh and Stef and the rest to get their big money contracts so we can enjoy having them on our team, the system has to produce enough revenue, and the guys with the proprietary interests are always going to look for a way to enhance their profit margins.

It's called capitalism, bro. You don't have to like it (who does when it costs more money) but as Winston Churchill said "it's the worst system, except for all the others."

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Even gotten free trials of fubo, downloaded apps, got up at absurd times to see London games, etc.

But this game isn't on LOCAL ROCHESTER MARKET because piddly little peacock is trying a money grab. 

All the other "exclusives" had free trials, were simulcast on a real network, or even in the case of prime- everyone already has it. But peacock, tiny little bullschitt peacock with nothing worthwhile to offer? The NFL not only isn't afraid, they actively don't like us.

So I can't. I just can't. Sure, I could afford the subscription; but I can't positively reinforce negative behavior by the NFL trying yet another way into fans' pockets. 

They will take our tax money to build the brand new stadium for a billionaire, but we can't even watch the effing game. Pathetic.

I am 100% on board with you and made the transition to "alternative means" this year.

I've had zero problems or complications, zero virus' and zero regrets.

Feel free to PM me if your interested in a suggestion.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Dan Darragh said:

I'm trying to understand the principle in all of this.  Stuff costs money.  Sometimes we have to pay a bit more for what seems like the same product.  But if you want Josh and Stef and the rest to get their big money contracts so we can enjoy having them on our team, the system has to produce enough revenue, and the guys with the proprietary interests are always going to look for a way to enhance their profit margins.

It's called capitalism, bro. You don't have to like it (who does when it costs more money) but as Winston Churchill said "it's the worst system, except for all the others."

Yep, and we are all free to choose how to spend our money.  Just like these businesses are free to choose how much to charge.

Subsidizing the stadium has no bearing.  Many businesses are subsidized.  Did we get to go into the banks and demand free money because they were bailed out by our tax dollars?

I own a Bills Backer bar.

That's not the point.

They don't though. They did up until a couple weeks ago, but not now. They made the cutoff significantly before this game on purpose to stop people from being able to watch for free.

But I pay taxes that are being taken to build the stadium.

The point is you are actively choosing not to watch the game.  For the first time in 27 years you are choosing to miss a critical game and your protest is totally in vain since you'll be back in week 17 and 18 and every week after that until your outrage consumes you.

• Like (+1) 3

Are you going to change the location that you list?

Heck, I'll be on a family vacation and will watch.  I subscribed to Peacock for one month and will cancel immediately after the game.  If you're used to navigating games on Amazon, YouTube, ESPN+... this won't be a big deal.

But i get the sentiment and annoyance of the NFL grabbing every last nickel from every source possible.  Again,,,this is entertainment.  The NFL is a massive TV show that they want on every platform known to man.

Edited by zow2

I feel your pain. Bit in the end it is and will continue to work for them. Your holdout does nothing but affect you watching your favorite team. They’ve made their money already and know at some point you’ll come crawling back. And likely at a higher price next year. 

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

You own a Bills Backer bar and you won't have the game on in your bar?   What are you going to tell your customers when they come in Saturday and you tell them the game isn't on?

He said he wanted to watch it at home instead of the bar

DOFU !!! It's a great APP . The NFL doesn't like it & is trying to do away with it but they haven't as of yet .

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.