McDermott answers why we stopped uptempo offense

Einstein

24 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

And you know that how? ..um usually HCs have full control over who they hire and fire as far as coordinators ....but that's besides the point...McDermott doesn't want to fire any of his hand picked "YES" men....he can and does control everyone on this staff including his GM whom he brought over from Carolina lol...why do you think it's been so uneven with top draft picks and FA going to the defense side of the ball....McDermott gives bean his shopping list and bean goes and gets McDermott wishes

The ownership would still have to pay the contract so I definitely believe they would have to approve of the firing….just as if Beane wanted to fire McDermott.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, damj said:

I was patient with him, but I'm done with him now. He has to go. After 13 seconds, he tried to sweep it under the rug, but they clearly screwed up. 

Now watching him throttle down this offense is too much.

100% agreement.  I was never big on McD to begin with.  His credentials were maybe not weak, but hardly strong when Pegula hired him.  13-Seconds dit if for me at that point as well.  It's been downhill ever since, now drastically downhill.  

This can't be a good situation for the team.  (players, coaches, etc.)  

As pointed out before, Pegula's gotta think about this PSLs and ST sales in the  new stadium.  What's going on now is hardly good marketing while you're trying to ratched up ticket prices by double or so, while adding PSL fees on top of it. 

Anyway, I was being facetious.  :D  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

His production against TB was a mirage. They ran a bunch of crazy off coverages and gave him free access that he never normally gets. On his TD it was a busted coverage.Davis does not separate in short areas if the defense makes an effort to stop him. But the Bucs defense is a joke.

As was JVille right?

This team has one problem & it’s the head coach. Anyone who denies it is in la la land.

Edited by PayDaBill$
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

His production against TB was a mirage. They ran a bunch of crazy off coverages and gave him free access that he never normally gets. On his TD it was a busted coverage.Davis does not separate in short areas if the defense makes an effort to stop him. But the Bucs defense is a joke.

The Bucs D is horrible, but particularly vs the pass: 31st in yards given up, 31st in net yards per attempt, and 27th in TD passes surrendered. And they didn't have Vita Vea in that game against the Bills either. He's genuinely good.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

As was JVille right?

Yes. All of his production came late when the Jaguars defense went to sleep. When we needed someone, ANYONE, to make a play for the offense earlier in the game, Davis was MIA. Somehow my opinion of him has gotten even lower this year. I'm starting to think my comparison to Marquez Valdes-Scantling was too kind.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

13 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yes. All of his production came late when the Jaguars defense went to sleep. When we needed someone, ANYONE, to make a play for the offense earlier in the game, Davis was MIA. Somehow my opinion of him has gotten even lower this year. I'm starting to think my comparison to Marquez Valdes-Scantling was too kind.

Gabe Davis-Scantling-Bey.

• Haha (+1) 1

Our O has turned into our D. 

O - McD wants take what the D gives you. He will take 2-3 yards every play hoping you can get 3-4 on some of them and keep the chains moving. His dream is a 18 play 75 yard drive with 7 first downs. 

D - McD has the similar approach. We will give you a ton of space and thrive on you making a mistake. Dropped passes, penalties, sacks, etc. You may get first down after first down but at some point you will get set back.

Just now, wvbillsfan said:

Not sure if this has been said but they had to get away from it because the defense was getting worn down. 

That is fear talking. If we go uptempo then we risk the D getting on the field faster if we cant get first downs. So lets go slow and not get first downs so they at least get an extra minute of rest. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Our O has turned into our D. 

O - McD wants take what the D gives you. He will take 2-3 yards every play hoping you can get 3-4 on some of them and keep the chains moving. His dream is a 18 play 75 yard drive with 7 first downs. 

D - McD has the similar approach. We will give you a ton of space and thrive on you making a mistake. Dropped passes, penalties, sacks, etc. You may get first down after first down but at some point you will get set back.

That is fear talking. If we go uptempo then we risk the D getting on the field faster if we cant get first downs. So lets go slow and not get first downs so they at least get an extra minute of rest. 

McD's philosophy makes sense when you don't have a good team.  You want to take as much time as possible and limit drives. 

When you have Josh Allen, a top 2 QB, and Diggs, a top 3WR, and Kincaid, a top 10 TE, and Davis, a top96 WR, you need to throw that philosophy out the window and go high powered.  The team with the most points win, and as long as the game stays that way offense will always be considerably more important. 

Edited by Bruffalo
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

McD's philosophy makes sense when you don't have a good team.  You want to take as much time as possible and limit drives. 

When you have Josh Allen, a top 2 QB, and Diggs, a top 3WR, and Kincaid, a top 10 TE, and Davis, a top96 WR, you need to throw that philosophy out the window and go high powered.  The team with the most points win, and as long as the game stays that way offense will always be considerably more important. 

Which is why they look better when playing either desperate or when the other team gives up. This idea of managing the game, limiting mistakes, playing "smart", etc just does not work with this team. They turned a corner a few years ago when they started taking chances and playing "fun" football. They are back to playing scared and grinding the life out of you. 

1 hour ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Followed closely by, “that team over there gets paid to find ways to stop us” 

Subsequent to that statement will invariably be, "Hey does anyone have a Toblerone?"

It is two fold, first it gets them off the subject of how badly the team is playing and secondly it confuses people by forcing them  to ask themselves whether they even know what a Toblerone is (we've all *heard* of it), whether they've had one before (please) and whether it is a candy or some sort of European beef stick (it might be both).

Next level chess, people.

Go Bills!

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Subsequent to that statement will invariably be, "Hey does anyone have a Toblerone?"

It is two fold, first it gets them off the subject of how badly the team is playing and secondly it confuses people by forcing them  to ask themselves whether they even know what a Toblerone is (we've all *heard* of it), whether they've had one before (please) and whether it is a candy or some sort of European beef stick (it might be both).

Next level chess, people.

Go Bills!

If there was a combo awesome with LOL, you’ve earned it my friend 👍.

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Roundybout said:

I would rather watch a team with a chance to beat anyone than a team that we cover our eyes and hope they don't lose by 30. 

You think you're funny or something? 

Sorry I'm not just a standard knee-jerk Bills fan that wants a little nuance. 

If we fire him, I hope we make the Super Bowl and he beats us. I really do. We would 100% deserve it. 

So you are cool with “good enough” and won’t take a chance to be great.  This fear the world mentality gets you no where.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

You were really close to nailing it, but then you went the opposite direction.  There were 6 star players on the field Sunday night, and 2 of them were wearing blue.  The last thing Buffalo wants to do is get into a track meet against the Bengals.  The Bills defense is spending a ton of snaps on players who were intended to be their depth.  Now you want them to extend the number of possessions and wear down their defense even more?

Cincy’s offense against Buffalo’s defense is a mismatch.  Even if you’re convinced that Buffalo’s offense has an edge over Cincy’s defense, the gap isn’t nearly as wide.  The more possessions in the game, the larger the advantage the Bengals have.

• Disagree 1

5 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Same as 2018 would have been if not for hitting on a young Josh Allen. 6-10 could have easily been 4-12 with Tyrod still at the helm and our level of talent.

lets be honest if they didnt draft Allen  Beane and McDermott would be jobless

• Agree 2

The Bills need to run a no huddle offense to put pressure on openers to score. If they have a couple 3 and outs, so what? It can’t get any worse. They almost never go 3 and out when they run up tempo-no huddle. Drives stall when they slow down the pace like McD wants.

• Like (+1) 5

8 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

When you listen to McDermott and Dorsey, their philosophy seems to be do a little of everything so as never to become too predictable. 

Honestly, they are starting to sound like Chan Gailey was at the end, even Allen said it - if we could fix it we would - where it's this never ending conveyor belt of try a little of this, do a little of that, run shotgun on 2-inches to keep the defense off balance, take a shot with Harty then never play him again, have Gabe be a decoy over here, don't overuse Stef over there, mix in an Allen designed run but then never use it again because he'll get hurt. 

I'm wondering if that's why they look like a jumbled mess. 

Ken was talking about getting players "in space" this week, leaving no "stone unturned" - that's an old Gailey phrase as well. He's not creative. We saw this with Hines, we're seeing it now with Harty - he doesn't know what to do with these guys. 

I think a part of this is you have a rocket armed QB with 0 deep threats. He wants to uncork throws, but he's chained to personnel that can't really threaten a defense either by route running or speed. 

We need to spend a 1st Round pick on a real WR with enough size/speed/route running traits that can just win. High traits WR from a real school. That's the biggest problem in our offense. Not sieving for flakes of gold in the river, or mining for diamonds in the rough. 

I think Harty can be a small lever to pull (2-3 times try to get the ball in his hands), but look, he's never been a big part of an offense. He has less than 1,000 career receiving yards. If he was Tyreek Hill, he'd be out there. Sherfield I didn't see anything in. He's a journey man - Cardinals, 49ers, Dolphins, etc. 

Andy Isabella has bounced around the league, and again, has less than 1,000 career receiving yards.  

Unless it's M. Harrison Jr. or some other absolute can't miss college phenom just pay Tee Higgins 20 bucks a year. You go from not having a true # 2 to having two # 1s.

On 11/7/2023 at 8:53 AM, Process said:

Im assuming this is Sean saying he was scared of the Bengals offense and wanted to keep them off the field. 

Not surprising so many here are putting words in his mouth. His own words aren't all that bad, so if you hate him you have to make something up.

He isn't even saying it was  him who made this decision, or at least not there he didn't.

Edited by Thurman#1

3 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Not surprising so many here are putting words in his mouth. His own words aren't all that bad, so if you hate him you have to make something up.

He isn't even saying it was  him who made this decision, or at least not there.

Complimentary posting. Obiligatory "defend the nonsense coach comments"  post.

• Haha (+1) 3

44 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Complimentary posting. Obiligatory "defend the nonsense coach comments"  post.

Complimentary indeed.

Consistent "not get the comment you're replying to, and then throw up a straw man instead" post.

You do not disappoint.

Edited by Thurman#1

3 hours ago, Billl said:

You were really close to nailing it, but then you went the opposite direction.  There were 6 star players on the field Sunday night, and 2 of them were wearing blue.  The last thing Buffalo wants to do is get into a track meet against the Bengals.  The Bills defense is spending a ton of snaps on players who were intended to be their depth.  Now you want them to extend the number of possessions and wear down their defense even more?

Cincy’s offense against Buffalo’s defense is a mismatch.  Even if you’re convinced that Buffalo’s offense has an edge over Cincy’s defense, the gap isn’t nearly as wide.  The more possessions in the game, the larger the advantage the Bengals have.

"Don't expose the defense" is fine if you have the lead.  They didn't, and never did, so it's horrific strategy.

When start the game down and are playing catch up the entire time, then I say to hell with going slow.  Didn't want a track meet? It's the only chance they had of winning. 

• Agree 1

On 11/6/2023 at 5:24 PM, Roundybout said:

Mark my words, we fire McD we won’t sniff the same amount of success for the rest of Josh’s career.

Im not going to throw away one of the winningest coaches this shite franchise has ever seen after a down season. No way. 

Bills win games despite McWimpy messing things up. And Bills lose games because of McWimpy messing things up.

On 11/6/2023 at 5:27 PM, Roundybout said:

Great, can’t wait to hire some mediocre Brandon Staley/Matt Nagy clone to appease the “offense only” crowd and watch us finish 7-10 every season. 

If we fire McD I hope he wins five super bowls. 

To match the FIVE times he got eliminated in the playoffs?

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

He isn't even saying it was  him who made this decision, or at least not there he didn't.

Perhaps it is unfair, at least to a degree, but we have reached a point where more than ever he has to ponder every single word as anything he says (and doesn't say) can do little good and plenty of harm to his cause.

The reason for that is very simple: with absolute power comes absolute accountability.

The cute fairytale picture of McD being the poor little gardener who is only taking care of the magnolia tree is getting harder and harder to sell.

Edited by McDeerInTheHeadlights

He saw his defense getting walked over and he probably wanted to slow it down and give them a break. However, doing that threw off the rhythm of the offense and we ended up giving the ball right back to them, thus getting dominated in TOP in the first half. Went back to tempo in the 4th quarter and the offense picked up it's stride again. 

On 11/6/2023 at 6:42 PM, Einstein said:

Make of this what you will.

Mods if this belongs in another thread, please feel free to merge it. I didn’t know where this exactly fits in.

Funny.  I read a quote from Dorsey saying the went away from it because of field position.  Whatever the hell that means.

3 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Funny.  I read a quote from Dorsey saying the went away from it because of field position.  Whatever the hell that means.

Apparently we can only run up-tempo with optimal starting field position and pandemic-era crowd noise.  

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

The Bills have not maximized having Josh Allen at all. After drafting Allen the very first thing should have been building a really good line and getting him great wrs to throw to.

(They got him one good wr and after 5 years they still have a weak, below average line).

The defense should have been improved AFTER accomplishing that.   

Having Josh Allen, the Bills offensive philosophy should be getting as many possessions and scoring as many points as possible. To do that you need an aggressive attacking defense that sometimes gets burned but gets off the field relatively quickly one way or another, putting the ball back in Allen's hands to score more points. Not a bend but don't break d that allows teams to keep the ball away from Allen and eat up the clock. Also, what's the point of blitzing when all the dbacks are playing 7yrds off and the qb can just throw it to a wide open receiver underneath the coverage?

Beane and McD have basically done the complete opposite of what I've just described. They have wasted so much cap and draft capital on the defense while Allen has to scramble around behind a weak line and carry the offense. The running game will always be inconsistent and weak behind a line like that, regardless of the rbs. Evidently these guys can't see that.

Add in McDs complete lack of situational awareness, clock management skill, and leadership skills (blaming others instead of being accountable, etc. ), it's easy to see that these guys have failed Allen and the rest of the team.

Edited by Turk71
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

What is listening to #SportsPodcastTonight

I thought they said something that really goes along with what I’m thinking

McDermott is afraid that that up-tempo offense is putting the defense in bad positions (it doesn’t)

Now that he is directly responsible for the defense is decisions are going towards not making the defense look bad

Edited by John from Riverside
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Turk71 said:

The Bills have not maximized having Josh Allen at all. After drafting Allen the very first thing should have been building a really good line and getting him great wrs to throw to.

(They got him one good wr and after 5 years they still have a weak, below average line).

Having Josh Allen, the Bills offensive philosophy should be getting as many possessions and scoring as many points as possible. To do that you need an aggressive attacking defense that sometimes gets burned but gets off the field relatively quickly one way or another, putting the ball back in Allen's hands to score more points. Not a bend but don't break d that allows teams to keep the ball away from Allen and eat up the clock. Also, what's the point of blitzing when all the dbacks are playing 7yrds off and the qb can just throw it to a wide open receiver underneath the coverage?

Beane and McD have basically done the complete opposite of what I've just described. They have wasted so much cap and draft capital on the defense while Allen has to scramble around behind a weak line and carry the offense. The running game will always be inconsistent and weak behind a line like that, regardless of the rbs. Evidently these guys can't see that.

Add in McDs complete lack of situational awareness, clock management skill, and leadership skills (blaming others instead of being accountable, etc. ), it's easy to see that these guys have failed Allen and the rest of the team.

I think we are in for a rebuild on D shortly which isn’t gonna help things going forward.  

This is a troubling position for McDermott to take. I can see doing something different at some point, but the read option Allen ran was so effective, I think the Bills should have used it longer.  At some point, the Bengals would have had to overcompensate to try and stop what the Bills were doing.  It would be up to Dorsey, upstairs, to figure out when they were doing that and then call plays to take advantage. 

20 hours ago, DuckyBoys said:

hes trying to hide his jacked up defense by slowing the pace of the offense down  McDermott still believes in the philosophy of keeping games close and hoping they come out on top  He's just a Dick Jauron clone except Jauron lacked Josh Allen

Jauron also didn't have anything close to the financial support this group has.  During the DJ years, by mid-season, they'd dress guys off the street because their depth was nil.  People here talk about the need for mid-season acquisitions, but back then I remember names of UDFAs and street FA's who got playing time when 1 guy went down.  Jauron's teams were so under-resourced that they used the draft to fill needs they couldn't afford to in UFA or because UFA's wouldn't come.  Buffalo was NFL Siberia from around 2006 until maybe when TPegs bought the team.

For as much as Belichick is despised, he was ahead of the curve when it came to becoming an offensive-focused team.  NE missed the playoffs in 2005 after 3 SB wins in 4 seasons.  Against Indy in the 2006 AFCCG, Brady had the likes of Reche Caldwell (RIP) at WR.  The result was Belichick grabbed Moss and Welker the following season.  Didn't guarantee a SB, but the game had shifted and would continue to.  BB was ahead of the curve.    

I haven't seen McD adapt at anything more than a snail's pace since he took the job.  Even with an, albeit flawed, franchise QB.  

Edited by BillsVet
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Exactly the Bills should have been playing to gamble/force turnovers on defense  NO dying by death of a thousand cuts while they qb stews in his juices letting the  anxiety build up  Josh looks miserable sitting on that bench watching this defense yielding yardage hoping for a penalty or a screwup by the other offense

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.