McDermott answers why we stopped uptempo offense

Einstein

Like most press conferences, you're going to get stupid anwers like this, He'd never throw Dorsey under the bus even if he thinks Dorsey is complete trash he is never going to come out and say it and if he himself is part of the issue you can bet he is never going to throw himself under the bus either. These are just media questions and answers. 

It's 100% clear to just about everyone at this point that coaching in 1 way or another is in Josh Allens head. I think most can agree on that but we'll never know the complete truth unfortunately.

1 minute ago, Roundybout said:

Mark my words, we fire McD we won’t sniff the same amount of success for the rest of Josh’s career.

Im not going to throw away one of the winningest coaches this shite franchise has ever seen after a down season. No way. 

Who cares if you aren’t winning anything that matters?

• Agree 2

Mark my words, we fire McD we won’t sniff the same amount of success for the rest of Josh’s career.

Im not going to throw away one of the winningest coaches this shite franchise has ever seen after a down season. No way. 

what about the several missed super bowls we’ve already experienced? Or do those not count as coming up short of potential because playoffs

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

I didn't say anything of the sort, that may be your interpretation, but that is not what I said.  What I said was this is McD relaying the reasoning Dorsey had for not running the uptempo offense.

Dorsey runs the offense and calls the plays.  McD is not running the team, defense, and offense.  McD didn't know why we didn't run the uptempo until he spoke to Dorsey and he was given this answer by Dorsey.  

That is not a defense of McD, that is just correcting this misleading thread where it keeps getting repeated as if it was actually McD in game making those offensive decisions when it was not.  

Now if people want to be upset with McD for not firing Dorsey then fair game.  They want to be upset with McD for other reasons...fine.  But this typical "read a tweet" and not get all the info outrage is again inaccurate and the wrong guy is being slammed for it.  You want to be pissed off over the meat of the answer, then be pissed off at the actual guy who made that decision...Dorsey.

You think this the mark of a good head coach, a guy who didn't ask his OC until after the game why he stopped doing something that worked???

McDermott is not just a defensive coordinator, he is the Head Coach. This idea you guys have that the head coach is an innocent bystander and has no ability to interject during the game and be part of the overall philosophy is either dumb or some kind of apologetics propaganda for McDermott. Again, it's the same nonsense people would do when Frazier was here. "It's not McDermott's fault, he doesn't run the defense!" As if there is absolutely nothing he can do if he sees things he doesn't like. 

It's on McD if something happens that doesn't make sense to him and he doesn't do anything to interject or make a change. This is his team, it's not Dorsey's. If he can't handle it, which he very clearly can't, he needs to go. Not just Dorsey, that doesn't solve the biggest problem. 

• Like (+1) 2

I don't think I saw it last night, but I've seen other games where McD is actively talking on the headset and covering his mouth with a playsheet while the team is on OFFENSE.  It suggests to me that he is more active in the play calling vs. just delegating to Dorsey.  I could be wrong, but I think his nature is to be very controlling.  That said, they should still move on from Dorsey....the sooner the better.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, DCofNC said:

Who cares if you aren’t winning anything that matters?

Great, can’t wait to hire some mediocre Brandon Staley/Matt Nagy clone to appease the “offense only” crowd and watch us finish 7-10 every season. 

If we fire McD I hope he wins five super bowls. 

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

As I heard on a podcast somewhere, McD is the modern day version of Matty Schottenheimer and/or Chuck Knox.  He will only get this team so far, but never to the very top.

• Like (+1) 1

What success? We made it to an AFC Championship 3 years ago and it's been downhill ever since, including the 13 seconds debacle. Do you believe things are getting better here?

• Like (+1) 1

Great, can’t wait to hire some mediocre Brandon Staley/Matt Nagy clone to appease the “offense only” crowd and watch us finish 7-10 every season. 

Why do you feel no one else could have success with this roster?

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Carmel Corn said:

As I heard on a podcast somewhere, McD is the modern day version of Matty Schottenheimer and/or Chuck Knox.  He will only get this team so far, but never to the very top.

Yeah I’ve heard the stupid Schottenheimer comparison a billion times. 

You do not throw away the coach who turned this pathetic loser franchise around. Not unless there are MULTIPLE tank seasons. 

Just now, Einstein said:

Why do you feel no one else could have success with this roster?

I don’t see anyone out there who could be better. I really don’t. 

1 minute ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

What success? We made it to an AFC Championship 3 years ago and it's been downhill ever since, including the 13 seconds debacle. Do you believe things are getting better here?

Do you remember what it was like before him? You wanna go back?

2 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

That’s why Beane has to go too. The team isn’t built very well. You’re probably right about that.

• Eyeroll 1

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

Like most press conferences, you're going to get stupid anwers like this, He'd never throw Dorsey under the bus even if he thinks Dorsey is complete trash he is never going to come out and say it and if he himself is part of the issue you can bet he is never going to throw himself under the bus either. These are just media questions and answers. 

It's 100% clear to just about everyone at this point that coaching in 1 way or another is in Josh Allens head. I think most can agree on that but we'll never know the complete truth unfortunately.

McD is not above throwing someone under the bus. See 13 seconds. He's not some honorable leader that took the fall. He basically told us it was someone else's fault for not relaying what he supposedly wanted, if we believe that. I'm not sure I do, but either way he did throw the old ST coach under the bus to everyone. 

Just now, Governor said:

That’s why Beane has to go too. The team isn’t built very well. You’re probably right about that.

Great! Blow it all up! Let’s waste MORE of Josh Allen! Hell, trade him and grab Crybaby the Clown outta USC!

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

I'm willing to risk getting worse if it means we have the chance to get better. Which with an elite talent at QB, we absolutely do. I'm also wiling to take that risk when we know we will never win it all with this current head coach. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I'm willing to risk getting worse if it means we have the chance to get better. Which with an elite talent at QB, we absolutely do. I'm also wiling to take that risk when we know we will never win it all with this current head coach. 

Im not. I’m not wasting more of Allen’s career gambling that some guy Kyle Shanahan breathed on once is gonna be some kind of offensive savior. 

• Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

McD is not above throwing someone under the bus. See 13 seconds. He's not some honorable leader that took the fall. He basically told us it was someone else's fault for not relaying what he supposedly wanted, if we believe that. I'm not sure I do, but either way he did throw the old ST coach under the bus to everyone. 

Do you think he interfered with Dorsey's strategy and wanted to slow the offense down and run clock?

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

3 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Do you have this article where he is throwing guys under the bus? I'd like to see those because that definitely doesn't seem like his style imo.

5 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Why would you conclude that McD is the only HC who could keep this team from “going back”?

this should be good…

Edited by Mr. WEO

Just now, Roundybout said:

Great! Blow it all up! Let’s waste MORE of Josh Allen! Hell, trade him and grab Crybaby the Clown outta USC!

We’re 2 years late but it’s gotta be done. Hiring Dennison and then Frazier should’ve been huge red flags that these guys are totally lightweights. 

Let’s salvage what’s left of Josh, if he will stay, which is doubtful.

• Agree 1

Just now, Governor said:

We’re 2 years late but it’s gotta be done. Hiring Dennison and then Frazier should’ve been huge red flags that these guys are totally lightweights. 

Let’s salvage what’s left of Josh, if he will stay, which is doubtful.

He won’t and you can enjoy us trotting out some journeyman while we convince ourselves that ground n pound is gonna get us a ring. 

Like I said, if we fire McD I hope to god he wins the Super Bowl the very next season. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why would you conclude that McD is the only HC who could keep this team from “going back”?

this should be good…

For every Siriani, there are a dozen mediocre pieces of garbage at head coach. 

I refuse to fire a proven winner just to hire Joe Judge/Arthur Smith/Pat Schurmer/Freddie Kitchens…

5 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Do you think he interfered with Dorsey's strategy and wanted to slow the offense down and run clock?

Either that or he let Dorsey do it himself and didn't interject. I don't even care which one it was to be honest, I don't see how either of those doesn't fall on the Head Coach ultimately.

It's the same way I felt when people would say Frazier's defense was too soft. I completely agreed...but in the end that problem is on the Head Coach. He isn't just a helpless, innocent bystander. He's the Head Coach for a reason and he's showing us he can't handle the responsibility especially when he has a struggling coordinator. We've seen it multiple times now and it's even worse when it's not on "his" side of the ball. That tells you he's not cut out to be a Head Coach, at least not a championship caliber one. 

Edited by HomeskillitMoorman
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

He won’t and you can enjoy us trotting out some journeyman while we convince ourselves that ground n pound is gonna get us a ring. 

Like I said, if we fire McD I hope to god he wins the Super Bowl the very next season. 

I refuse to fire a proven winner just to hire Joe Judge/Arthur Smith/Pat Schurmer/Freddie Kitchens…

We’re about to finish 7-9. That’s a 6 game slide from last year. I don’t like 7-9. Do you like 7-9?

7-10…same thing.

Edited by Governor
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Governor said:

We’re about to finish 7-9. That’s a 6 game slide from last year. I don’t like 7-9. Do you like 7-9?

We might also finish 13-4. Who knows? That’s why you don’t do this bull#### unless it’s a Josh McDaniels situation. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Even if that proven winner has hit his ceiling and is falling back to the floor?  Would you hang on to Billy if you were a Pats fan?

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

Does he just not have permission to fire his OC so he's wording his way around it? Because this doesn't exactly match up.

He had all night to think of an answer to this question and this is what he came up with 🤣

I think he wanted to control the time of possession to reduce stress on his gimpy defense.

That doesn’t work if you can’t move the ball and you are punting anyway.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DapperCam said:

He had all night to think of an answer to this question and this is what he came up with 🤣

I think he wanted to control the time of possession to reduce stress on his gimpy defense.

That doesn’t work if you can’t move the ball and you are punting anyway.

Might be a pattern here....he had 10 DAYS to prepare for the Bengals and we saw last night what they had to show for the extra prep time.

If he had an actual GM making personal decisions yes 

I was referring to "coach" not GM, but it still begs the question of WHO in the Bill's organization is making the personnel decisions like drafting and FA signings.  Somebody is failing there, just don't know if it is Beane or McD.

Terry Pegula is not going to fire McD.  Even if they go 5 - 12 this season.  I could see McD firing Dorsey but only after the season.  McD isn't a quitter and he knows firing Dorsey in season will cause more distractions and create chaos.  He just won't do it.  

• Vomit 1
  • Angry 1

15 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

You think this the mark of a good head coach, a guy who didn't ask his OC until after the game why he stopped doing something that worked???

McDermott is not just a defensive coordinator, he is the Head Coach. This idea you guys have that the head coach is an innocent bystander and has no ability to interject during the game and be part of the overall philosophy is either dumb or some kind of apologetics propaganda for McDermott. Again, it's the same nonsense people would do when Frazier was here. "It's not McDermott's fault, he doesn't run the defense!" As if there is absolutely nothing he can do if he sees things he doesn't like. 

It's on McD if something happens that doesn't make sense to him and he doesn't do anything to interject or make a change. This is his team, it's not Dorsey's. If he can't handle it, which he very clearly can't, he needs to go. Not just Dorsey, that doesn't solve the biggest problem. 

You are again choosing to interpret pointing out that it was a Dorsey answer he was relating as some sort of defense of McD.  But I haven’t defended McD at all and said feel free to be mad at him for any other reasons.  

Personally I think Dorsey is going to be McDs downfall

3 minutes ago, juno999 said:

Terry Pegula is not going to fire McD.  Even if they go 5 - 12 this season.  I could see McD firing Dorsey but only after the season.  McD isn't a quitter and he knows firing Dorsey in season will cause more distractions and create chaos.  He just won't do it.  

I hate that I agree with you. If I was betting on it I would bet Dorsey sticks around the season, even though it’s clear things aren’t working. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, starrymessenger said:

So Shaun why did you get away from the up tempo no huddle offense?

Shaun: "Sole secure methoda per decevoir natura is for a strong guy to continuo continuo continuo jusqu'al plaisir brimps, et alors a l'ultima instanta switchers a l'altra gropa".

Thanks Shaun.

Would work better if you spelled his name right. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.