This was a good week for Beane

Alphadawg7

1 hour ago, RiotAct said:

whatever happens the rest of this season, can’t fault Beane one bit for inaction and not actively trying to make this roster better.

This right here. It’s pretty clear today, that all 3 of these moves are upgrades at their positions on the roster. Douglas might be our best corner now. Joseph may not be an upgrade to Jones or Oliver but he should be to Phillips, Settle, or Ford. And Fournette is at least on par with Murray but likely an upgrade. Is also a huge upgrade in the passing game. Both receiving and blocking. 

now it’s on McDermott and Dorsey to actually use these weapons. And if they don’t, if they go the rest of the season like we did with Hines last year. It will all be for nothing and it will show how Beane and McD are not on the same page. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Suh could still happen and would be amazing.

I would seriously check with Gronk to see if he has any interest in playing.  He was close to signing here previously  

Gronk seems thoroughly retired at this point, he'd need to get in football shape first.

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I think with all due respect the true measuring stick comes on Sunday night.  Let’s see how Beane’s roster stacks up against the team that demolished last year’s version in the playoffs. 

Its a fair take.

But theses guys will not be up to speed by then , even if they played it would be unfair to judge them or or Beane so quickly

IMHO !!!

lol

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, mrags said:

This right here. It’s pretty clear today, that all 3 of these moves are upgrades at their positions on the roster. Douglas might be our best corner now. Joseph may not be an upgrade to Jones or Oliver but he should be to Phillips, Settle, or Ford. And Fournette is at least on par with Murray but likely an upgrade. Is also a huge upgrade in the passing game. Both receiving and blocking. 

now it’s on McDermott and Dorsey to actually use these weapons. And if they don’t, if they go the rest of the season like we did with Hines last year. It will all be for nothing and it will show how Beane and McD are not on the same page. 

and will be fired expeditiously  Agreed in youe player vs player considerations.

Beane has been doing a more than reasonable job. And has outpaced McDermott and the Coaching staff by a good length 

Edited by 3rdand12
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I think it's fair to say the only hole on the roster now is Milano's spot. Let's hope with the DL and secondary upgrades, McDermott can make it work. Would love to see Dorian Williams blossom like Bernard.

I think that is a stretch, to say the least.  I think they did a good job of finding replacements for guys who were actually their first choices. The truth is,  we are still missing Pro Bowl type players, and that hurts any team. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

How many other teams can sit back and say they added 3 upgrades to their roster this week?  

1. Fournette - He is a definite upgrade to Murray and once he is up to speed will only help our run game as he can pass pro, run, and catch.  
  2. Rasul - Definite upgrade at starting CB and a long term answer as well, not just a fix for this season.
  3. Linval - Space eating DT who can tie up 2 OL, clog the run lanes, and help open up the pass rushing of Oliver and our Edge guys

We added 3 guys this week, all who are upgrades to starters on this team right now, and all it cost us was about a round and a half trade down from our low round third to an early to mid round 5th.  

Regardless of what anyones opinion on Beane may be, he had a pretty good week considering what this team has lost to injuries this season

No he sucks and should be fired along with McD, Dorsey. And while we’re at it Josh has sucked this year and Diggs is a baby so cut them too and let’s start all over again. It only took 23 years to land a quality QB which is not a long time considering the earth is 4 billion years old. It’s all relative 

• Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, AlfaBill said:

No he sucks and should be fired along with McD, Dorsey. And while we’re at it Josh has sucked this year and Diggs is a baby so cut them too and let’s start all over again. It only took 23 years to land a quality QB which is not a long time considering the earth is 4 billion years old. It’s all relative 

Sorry, only one glass per winner.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BillsFan692 said:

Yeah you are right. Fournette could pay off big. I still dont feel too good about the 35 yo dt though.

Both might not work out. At this point, options are limited and at least Beane is trying to improve the team. It's better than doing nothing. Everything to gain and nothing to lose. 

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

How many other teams can sit back and say they added 3 upgrades to their roster this week?  

1. Fournette - He is a definite upgrade to Murray and once he is up to speed will only help our run game as he can pass pro, run, and catch.  
  2. Rasul - Definite upgrade at starting CB and a long term answer as well, not just a fix for this season.
  3. Linval - Space eating DT who can tie up 2 OL, clog the run lanes, and help open up the pass rushing of Oliver and our Edge guys

We added 3 guys this week, all who are upgrades to starters on this team right now, and all it cost us was about a round and a half trade down from our low round third to an early to mid round 5th.  

Regardless of what anyones opinion on Beane may be, he had a pretty good week considering what this team has lost to injuries this season

I agree with almost all of this except I like Murray and think he’s done a great job. I don’t see Fournette as an upgrade over Murray but I do love the addition in case of any more RB injuries. Fournette is not a great runner or pass catcher but he can block and he’s serviceable if needed. The other 2 signings I love for what was available. Douglas is going to fit in fine and hopefully he rubs off on Elam. And who doesn’t love a huge mammoth DT to clog up the running lanes. Slam dunk. Now let’s get on another winning streak and stay hot throughout the playoffs. Go bills 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, RiotAct said:

whatever happens the rest of this season, can’t fault Beane one bit for inaction and not actively trying to make this roster better.

Not true,  though that would be convenient for those looking to make an excuse for Beane not putting better playmakers around their QB.

They weren't pro-active about that in either of the last 2 offseasons and deadlines.    Yeah they took a flyer on an aged Emmanuel Sanders and spent a 1st round pick on Kincaid a couple years later but when you contrast that to moves made on the DL.......where they are obsessed with never having less than 8 blue chip picks or high end veterans at every position.....it wasn't much invesment.  

Specifically WR?   Meh........Diggs and a bunch of day 3 picks and UDFA's was apparently "fine" until the market tightened up.    Beane was simply behind the curve.........he passed over WR talent to trade up for Elam and maneuver for James Cook.........and then got priced out of the OBJ and Hopkins free agent markets and beaten to the punch for WR's in round 1 in 2023.    He made his own misfortune.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

This was a huge week for Beane. Again, my plea is to let all of them play and play right away. With 3 early losses and a tough schedule to go, you can't afford to not put your best guys out there. Even if all 3 take 20 or less snaps on Sunday, I think you have to get them out there and let the most talented players (all of whom are good schematic fits) do what can do. 

Douglas really would be vital against the passing attack of Cincy. You can't just throw anyone out there against that team and take your chances. He's the guy I most want activated. 

Joseph can help with the aggressive running style of Mixon. Clog up lanes and don't let him get a full head of speed and knock over an undersized linebacker for a gain of 7. Get to him early.

Fournette you can probably go without this week but it's not like Murray has been giving much and it's not like there are a bunch of nuances to the Bills running game

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

and will be fired expeditiously  Agreed in youe player vs player considerations.

Beane has been doing a more than reasonable job. And has outpaced McDermott and the Coaching staff by a good length 

Yeah I don’t think he gets fired tho. I think McD holds more power than Beane does with ownership. Terry is a sap 

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

moves made on the DL.......where they are obsessed with never having less than 8 blue chip picks or high end veterans at every position

That's possibly my favorite thing about these guys' philosophy.

I 100% agree that outside QB, your DL is the most important, impactful part of your football team.

3 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I think with all due respect the true measuring stick comes on Sunday night.  Let’s see how Beane’s roster stacks up against the team that demolished last year’s version in the playoffs. 

How does one game against a perennial top team indicate their future collective contribution to this team over the next 3 months?  I'll need a much bigger sample size before making judgment. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

How does one game against a perennial top team indicate their future collective contribution to this team over the next 3 months?  I'll need a much bigger sample size before making judgment. 

The OP is declaring it a “good week” - sure, but shouldn’t the actual game this week count?

26 minutes ago, Simon said:

I 100% agree that outside QB, your DL is the most important, impactful part of your football team.

Agree with the strategy (though speedy playmakers on offense should be right up there in terms of positional investment) - they have just been really bad at the evaluations and contracts.  Just an incredible run of bad decisions: Star, Butler, Jordan Phillips, Settle, Addison, we could keep going with the overpaid scrubs they have brought in.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Malazan said:

There's Bills fans who don't think Allen is good at playing QB

I feel about Allen’s QB play as I feel about my girl in the bedroom:

You’re good. You might even be the best. But that doesn’t mean I don’t want to see you try and improve 😏

3 hours ago, Simon said:

I used to say pass rusher was the clear 2nd most important position to QB..........but in the last 6 seasons in particular WR has really closed the gap in terms of importance and a proven indicator of deep playoff advancement.     

And having a really good WR2 has proven to be a pretty easy ask.....it's not like only a handful of teams has them.......even teams with loaded DL like Philly and SF have them.

If you are going to be as DL-centric as the Bills want to be you REALLY gotta' be able to at least develop some of your own reserve DL who can play that you didn't have to spend a 1st or 2nd round pick or free agent contract in.

I like Beane and think he can improve.....and is improving gradually.   But they aren't a GREAT team because Beane and McD are only GOOD at their jobs.    If one or the other were great at what they do they'd have won a SB in the past 3 seasons.    Overall, since day 1 McD has been the better of the two and I think has less ceiling left.   So Beane really needs to get in that Howie Roseman category of GM and doesn't have a lot of excuse not to with all the rope Terry Pegula has given him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

A good week, yes. 

Fournette an upgrade to Murray, not so much, IMO. He'll be a very good depth guy with occasional use, I think. A solid pickup without much downside.

Love Rasul and Linval and think they're great moves.

Fournette isn't an upgrade over Murrary. I don't care about a single PS signing, ever, and I don't understand why fans assume he will have any impact on our season. Maybe we elevate him a couple times in games with a run-heavy game plan... Outside of that what does he really offer over Murrary?

Linval Joseph is a bare minimum 1T signing, which is to say I really like it because we didn't already have the bare minimum on the roster.

Douglas I really like, this is the real needle mover for me. CB is the only premium position where we had a gaping hole on the roster and it seemed inconceivable that we could make it through a championship run with Benford + Jackon and only the corpse of Josh Norman behind them.

As others have mentioned we are still lacking in the playmaker department. I don't think there were any realistic trades to be made there so I won't fault Beane twice for the same mistake, but unfortunately it does now appear that failing to acquire DeAndre Hopkins in the offseason was indeed a serious mistake. For the meager price of some of the worst players on our team - Phillips, Ford, and Settle to start - plus some clever contract structuring, we could have had arguably the most dangerous offense in football, and one built to win in January.

Too late for that now though. So we're resting our hopes of even making it to the playoffs on a solid CB, a bare minimum 1T, and a PS RB.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, Logic said:

Beane SIGNIFICANTLY upgraded at cornerback -- I'd argue that Douglas is currently playing at a higher level than Tre White was this season. No disrespect intended to White, who's one of my favorite Bills. It's just the truth. 

Beane SIGNIFICANTLY upgraded at 1TDT -- Linval Joseph is vastly better than Tim Settle and Jordan Phillips.

Beane SIGNIFICANTLY upgraded at RB2 or RB3 -- at the very worst, Fournette is a big upgrade over Ty Johnson. I'd argue that he's also an upgrade over Latavius Murray.

Given the Bills' recent distrust of James Cook as a pass blocker, Murray's relative ineffectiveness the past few weeks, and Damien Harris's injury status, running back was an underrated need for the Bills. They were one James Cook injury away from having to start a 33-year-old running back full time and having basically no one of use behind him. Instead they now have a guy who has had over 1,000 yards from scrimmage each of the last two seasons, can both pass block and catch on 3rd down, can be a goal line and short yardage weapon, and is five years younger than Murray.

Not only were all of these good additions, but two of them didn't cost any draft compensation, the third didn't cost MUCH draft compensation (given the incoming 3rd round compensatory pick and the 5th they got back in return), and none of them have prohibitive contracts.

Very, very good week for Brandon Beane.

Douglas is also on a reasonable contract for next season which will be his age 30 season. That alleviates the draft compensation given up for him as it is one less possible position they will have to address immediately in 2024. Just overall a very solid week giving this team the shot in the arm it needs at key positions and with tough veteran players. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.