This was a good week for Beane

Alphadawg7

Loved all 3 acquisitions.  I think Douglas and Joseph can definitely fill in respectfully for Tre & DQ.  I also could see both re-signed as primary backups for next season. Fournette will improve our pass blocking assignments and give veteran leadership after Cooks' touches.  All 3 are very good complementary pickups by Beane.  Well done.....

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

How many other teams can sit back and say they added 3 upgrades to their roster this week?  

1. Fournette - He is a definite upgrade to Murray and once he is up to speed will only help our run game as he can pass pro, run, and catch.  

dude looks like he'll be up to speed pretty quick

nice to have a guy who doesnt skip leg day

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Shocked 2
  • Haha (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

27 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

How many other teams can sit back and say they added 3 upgrades to their roster this week?  

1. Fournette - He is a definite upgrade to Murray and once he is up to speed will only help our run game as he can pass pro, run, and catch.  
  2. Rasul - Definite upgrade at starting CB and a long term answer as well, not just a fix for this season.
  3. Linval - Space eating DT who can tie up 2 OL, clog the run lanes, and help open up the pass rushing of Oliver and our Edge guys

We added 3 guys this week, all who are upgrades to starters on this team right now, and all it cost us was about a round and a half trade down from our low round third to an early to mid round 5th.  

Regardless of what anyones opinion on Beane may be, he had a pretty good week considering what this team has lost to injuries this season

I agree Beane did a very good job this week. He has made some good moves to improve the team. 

Only small disagreement is I'm not sure Lenny is an upgrade to Murray. I do think Lenny is a good insurance policy if the Bills suffer an injury. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

2. Rasul - Definite upgrade at starting CB and a long term answer as well, not just a fix for this season.
  3. Linval - Space eating DT who can tie up 2 OL, clog the run lanes, and help open up the pass rushing of Oliver and our Edge guys

We added 3 guys this week, all who are upgrades to starters on this team right now, and all it cost us was about a round and a half trade down from our low round third to an early to mid round 5th.  

Regardless of what anyones opinion on Beane may be, he had a pretty good week considering what this team has lost to injuries this season

I don't think it cost us anything.  We essentially had a freebie 3rd rounder to play with. Good moves so far

Beane SIGNIFICANTLY upgraded at cornerback -- I'd argue that Douglas is currently playing at a higher level than Tre White was this season. No disrespect intended to White, who's one of my favorite Bills. It's just the truth. 

Beane SIGNIFICANTLY upgraded at 1TDT -- Linval Joseph is vastly better than Tim Settle and Jordan Phillips.

Beane SIGNIFICANTLY upgraded at RB2 or RB3 -- at the very worst, Fournette is a big upgrade over Ty Johnson. I'd argue that he's also an upgrade over Latavius Murray.

Given the Bills' recent distrust of James Cook as a pass blocker, Murray's relative ineffectiveness the past few weeks, and Damien Harris's injury status, running back was an underrated need for the Bills. They were one James Cook injury away from having to start a 33-year-old running back full time and having basically no one of use behind him. Instead they now have a guy who has had over 1,000 yards from scrimmage each of the last two seasons, can both pass block and catch on 3rd down, can be a goal line and short yardage weapon, and is five years younger than Murray.

Not only were all of these good additions, but two of them didn't cost any draft compensation, the third didn't cost MUCH draft compensation (given the incoming 3rd round compensatory pick and the 5th they got back in return), and none of them have prohibitive contracts.

Very, very good week for Brandon Beane.

• Like (+1) 12
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I think with all due respect the true measuring stick comes on Sunday night.  Let’s see how Beane’s roster stacks up against the team that demolished last year’s version in the playoffs. 

Might be nitpicking here, but I don’t think that’s what this thread is about. It would be extremely unfair to judge these acquisitions, good or bad, based on what happens when they have all been with the team less than a week. Still have Philly, KC, and Miami left on the schedule 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I'm excited about the defensive additions. There's obviously no replacing Milano but having Douglas hopefully improving the secondary and Joseph giving the other defensive linemen a greater shot at getting to the QB, as well as improving a run D that I was getting real worried about, we could get back on track. Now we just need to the offense to start cooking and my fears of missing the playoffs might evaporate 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I agree Beane did a very good job this week. He has made some good moves to improve the team. 

Only small disagreement is I'm not sure Lenny is an upgrade to Murray. I do think Lenny is a good insurance policy if the Bills suffer an injury. 

I feel like Lenny offers more upside than Murray personally, I mean he is still only 28 and I think he has more in the tank than Murray does.  But of course, he needs to prove it on the field.  But like you said, regardless who plays, good to have more solid bodies in the RB room for insurance.  

But I also think Lenny and his powerful legs and run style will be a nice addition come cold weather games that this team has needed.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

I've said often that we went into this season with the best team we have had in the JA era.  He did an incredible job given the cap situation heading into the offseason.

And after the Jets debacle, they played like it. That D was playing lights out for a few weeks there.  We were tougher, more aggressive & more physical - things that were distinctly lacking in the Cincy playoff game.

Then, of course, we proceed to lose 3 of our best defenders.  What he has done in the past few days to rectify that is heartening. I feel like they can get back to being a pretty shutdown unit, or close to it.

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I think with all due respect the true measuring stick comes on Sunday night.  Let’s see how Beane’s roster stacks up against the team that demolished last year’s version in the playoffs. 

The only reason I hit the disagree is because this isn't the full team Beane built...losing Tre, Milano, and Jones is still big, very big, especially going up against a team with as good an offense as Bengals.  I mean Bills were the top D in most categories before the injuries and near the bottom since, it was a drastic impact. 

And the replacement help just got here and they won't have a lot of time to get accumulated to the defense, we don't even know if they will play or not right now or how much if they do. 

So this week to me isn't a fair barometer on what Beane has done this offseason and this week thanks to the unfortunate magnitude of injuries on the defense and the fact the reinforcements just got here.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Worth mentioning Puna Ford was pretty good vs TB, if he’s turning the corner that’s a big relief for Beane.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

38 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The problem with evaluating Beane like that is we haven't played against the Bengals with the roster he built. Last year we were missing Jones, Hyde, and Von while Josh, Poyer, and Phillips were all held together with duct tape and Tre was barely himself. This year we're missing Jones, Tre, and Milano while Josh is again battling an injury to his throwing arm and Von is where Tre was last year.

People can miss me with the "everyone deals with injuries" stuff too. No other team in the NFL has lost even close to the amount of talent to injury as we have the past two years. We've seen them at full strength and they're a powerhouse. That's what Beane should be judged by. These key acquisitions to plug holes are just another indicator of his talents.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Hard to get too high about #3 i mean this dude was sitting on a couch. Kinda same for #1...

#2 was solid though and we'll see how Lenny plays out!

Edited by BillsFan692
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, BillsFan692 said:

Hard to get too high about #3 i mean this dude was sitting on a couch. Kinda same for #1...

#2 was solid though. 

I mean yeah he's in the twilight of his career, but you can afford to wait for the right situation if you've got a ring and already have a few contract extensions and are basically set for life if you weren't dumb with your money. Guy is chasing another ring and almost had one last year with the Eagles doing basically the same thing he's doing right now.

39 minutes ago, Success said:

I've said often that we went into this season with the best team we have had in the JA era.  He did an incredible job given the cap situation heading into the offseason.

And after the Jets debacle, they played like it. That D was playing lights out for a few weeks there.  We were tougher, more aggressive & more physical - things that were distinctly lacking in the Cincy playoff game.

Then, of course, we proceed to lose 3 of our best defenders.  What he has done in the past few days to rectify that is heartening. I feel like they can get back to being a pretty shutdown unit, or close to it.

The injuries to the D were horrible. That D was outstanding and I think one of the best in the league. So unfortunate. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, uninja said:

I mean yeah he's in the twilight of his career, but you can afford to wait for the right situation if you've got a ring and already have a few contract extensions and are basically set for life if you weren't dumb with your money. Guy is chasing another ring and almost had one last year with the Eagles doing basically the same thing he's doing right now.

Yeah you are right. Fournette could pay off big. I still dont feel too good about the 35 yo dt though.

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I will always be convinced that last years team when Cincy came to town was physically and emotionally exhausted. The Hamlin narrative needs to be put to bed. The guys have had 10 days to rest up. The 3 new players should help some gaps. Not saying we win?, but it wouldn't surprise me to see us extremely competitive/motivated Sunday night and shock home alone.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.