Ed Oliver OUT Sunday

Big Blitz

1 minute ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

we ready for another game like the one here 2 years ago where they passed 3 times cause they could run whenever they wanted to?

This is going to be one of those games where its 3:00 in the afternoon and the Bills - Pats game is already in the 4th quarter.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

We'll be down to Philips, Settle, Ford and Vickers on the interior.

Williams is Bernard are good run defenders and our edges can set the edge decently well, at least Lawson and Epenesa do. Taron is also good in run situations.

Their passing game is limited, if we can shut down the run this game is over.

Just now, uninja said:

Williams is Bernard are good run defenders and our edges can set the edge decently well, at least Lawson and Epenesa do. Taron is also good in run situations.

AJE does NOT set the edge well. Groot does

one or two injuries to interior DL and we may be in trouble 

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, uninja said:

Actually, AJE is notorious for not being good at setting the edge. 

• Like (+1) 1

Here's the good news: New England is actually NOT that good at running the ball this year. They are ranked 26th in rushing yards per game.

The best defense for the Bills this Sunday will be a good offense. Get off to a fast start (no small ask for this team lately), score early and often, and take the running game out of the equation.

Oh, and the Thursday night opponent, the Bucs? 28th ranked in rushing yards per game.

It won't surprise me if Ed misses that one, too, and they focus on getting him right for the long haul.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

This is reminding me of last year again... Multiple key defensive players out every game 😓

Just can't catch a break. 

Our elite offense needs to get off the rollercoaster carry the weight.   

Just now, Gregg said:

Allen and company will score more than 30 points. Injuries or no injuries the Pats won't match the Bills score for score.

Are we saying the Giants defense is better?  I just have zero confidence in predicting what the offense is going to look like on any given day.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Our elite offense needs to get off the rollercoaster carry the weight.   

Are we saying the Giants defense is better?  I just have zero confidence in predicting what the offense is going to look like on any given day.

I just think the offense gets back on track this week. The Bills game was the Giants Super Bowl. It was on primetime against Daboll's old team. Daboll knows Allen and our offense better than anybody including Belichick. No London hangover as the team has been back in America for two weeks now.

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, uninja said:

Epenesa is terrible in run game. 

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

This might be the most injury-cautious coaching staff in the history of the NFL.  I'm not saying I disagree with the approach but my goodness they've been a complete horse hospital under McD.

You realize BY FAR this team has the fewest Man Games lost to injury in the NFL over his tenure, right?  Like I am talking about 2nd place is not even in the rearview mirror on a long straight road if you want a driving analogy. People simply don't understand how many players are injured on other teams...far more than on the Bills.

Last year the Bills had 140 man games lost to injury, 4th lowest in the NFL. Tennessee had almost 350 by comparison! Year before that a team had over 400! Every year under McD Bills have been top 5 fewest man games lost, with 140 being the MOST they have ever had...usually its between 100-120, including least in the NFL twice and under 100 once.

We think injuries were bad last year and by comparison to previous Bills teams under McD they were...but compared to the rest of the NFL they are still very much far better off.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

This might be the most injury-cautious coaching staff in the history of the NFL.  I'm not saying I disagree with the approach but my goodness they've been a complete horse hospital under McD.

I am 100% on board with them being cautious vs 2 of the worst 4 teams in the league. 

Sure we almost lost vs the giants. And yet again it was because of our offense which was basically fully healthy. Not because of guys sitting on defense. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

You realize BY FAR this team has the fewest Man Games lost to injury in the NFL over his tenure, right?  Like I am talking about 2nd place is not even in the rearview mirror on a long straight road if you want a driving analogy. People simply don't understand how many players are injured on other teams...far more than on the Bills.

Last year the Bills had 140 man games lost to injury, 4th lowest in the NFL.  Every year under McD Bills have been top 5 fewest man games lost, including least in the NFL twice.

I think @Coach Tuesday point is that they tend to be hyper-cautious with injuries.   And I do wonder if that creates an "oh I'm hurt, shouldn't play full speed" mentality with a guy like Ed Oliver that contributes to his disappearances every time he gets knicked up.    I thought Groot played tentative last game as well coming off an injury that didn't even take him out of the Miami game two weeks earlier.    Does their abundance of caution help or enable/create excuses for effort falling off. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Last year the Bills had 140 man games lost to injury, 4th lowest in the NFL. Tennessee had almost 350 by comparison! Year before that a team had over 400! Every year under McD Bills have been top 5 fewest man games lost, with 140 being the MOST they have ever had...usually its between 100-120, including least in the NFL twice and under 100 once.

Is it possible the Bills are unlucky in that the players they have lost the last two seasons have been crucial starters compared to other teams ?

Im actually asking because I don’t know, it’s not a statement hidden as a question.

3 minutes ago, julian said:

Is it possible the Bills are unlucky in that the players they have lost the last two seasons have been crucial starters compared to other teams ?

Im actually asking because I don’t know, it’s not a statement hidden as a question.

Other teams lose plenty of crucial starters too...Look at San Fran for instance.  Bills did have 4th or 5th most DVOA lost to starters last year, so they were relatively high on that list, but 49ers lost their starting QB...TWICE! Imagine the Bills losing Josh, replacing him with Kyle, then losing him and replacing him with Barkley and STILL going to the Championship Game. Mind boggling how Shanahan's offense makes QB's almost irrelevant.  

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

We think injuries were bad last year and by comparison to previous Bills teams under McD they were...but compared to the rest of the NFL they are still very much far better off.

Thanks, Turk!  Do those stats account for starters vs reserves?  I would think that's the bigger issue.  Also, parsing out the quality of the starters lost.  For instance, it's a lot easier dealing with the loss of Deonte Harty than Stef Diggs.

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think @Coach Tuesday point is that they tend to be hyper-cautious with injuries.   And I do wonder if that creates an "oh I'm hurt, shouldn't play full speed" mentality with a guy like Ed Oliver that contributes to his disappearances every time he gets knicked up.    I thought Groot played tentative last game as well coming off an injury that didn't even take him out of the Miami game two weeks earlier.    Does their abundance of caution help or enable/create excuses for effort falling off. 

Perhaps that's why the 1-2 game injuries don't turn into the 3-4 game injuries or 6-8 game injuries like other teams have after they try to play hurt and injure it worse?

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.