Ed Oliver OUT Sunday

Big Blitz

1 hour ago, Dr.Sack said:

If the Patriots rush for 125 yards and get consistent push on b/n the tackle runs the Bills could easily lose this game. Mac Jones is good at the short passes and can dink and dunk with the best of em. If I’m McD I’m putting Dane and Benford on an island, playing 1 safety deep and focusing on stuffing the run and short passes. 

The bills can not easily lose this game, they will have to beat themselves. 

12 hours ago, Big Turk said:

You realize BY FAR this team has the fewest Man Games lost to injury in the NFL over his tenure, right?  Like I am talking about 2nd place is not even in the rearview mirror on a long straight road if you want a driving analogy. People simply don't understand how many players are injured on other teams...far more than on the Bills.

Last year the Bills had 140 man games lost to injury, 4th lowest in the NFL. Tennessee had almost 350 by comparison! Year before that a team had over 400! Every year under McD Bills have been top 5 fewest man games lost, with 140 being the MOST they have ever had...usually its between 100-120, including least in the NFL twice and under 100 once.

We think injuries were bad last year and by comparison to previous Bills teams under McD they were...but compared to the rest of the NFL they are still very much far better off.

The person you're responding to wasn't necessarily contradictory to your post but your's is an excellent post.

I have never thought the Bills as being injury prone under McBeane. Much to the contrary actually.

11 hours ago, SCBills said:

This is why I’m on the trade for a 1T train..

Ed’s forced to play a ton of snaps last week.   Injured, out, the following week.  

I agree. There's been a lot of talk here about trading for a WR but if the Bills updgraded one position I would want to see an anchor in the middle of the defense for our speedy linebackers to work off of.

11 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

I'm not trying to sway anyone's opinion on this topic.  But I think another metric is Cap space lost/missed.

One thing to have backups miss games, but you need to "normalize"/adjust for the fact we are missing significantly paid players.

I haven't looked at this metric for all teams, just for us right now:

1. Players on IR: $33.9m of our 2023 cap

2. Total 2023 team cap=$225m

Thats 15% of our cap, practically flushed down the toilet this season.  And that's just our IR guys, Tre/Milano/Jones.  Would have to add in impacts of 4/17ths of Von, 1/17th Groot, 1/17th Ed, etc etc to get a true picture.

So yes, man games lost is important.  But who those players are/impact on cap is just as if not more important perspective to consider.

1 more example just on IR, Baltimore Ravens: from 2021, when they got really snake bit - 48.5m IR of 182.8m total (26%).  They finished the year 8-9, Lamar had a down year and missed 4 games too.

It would be interesting if any advanced stats on "missed cap" stats were compiled.

https://x.com/agetzenberg/status/1715396746061156530?s=20

Interesting development perhaps on Ed.

Coach ruled him out this week but didn't say he'd miss practice.  So perhaps just encouraging for the TNF TB game.

This is a brilliant post in terms of measuring the impact of injuries

However I would say though that man-games lost is the only measure of how well a team's training/strength and conditioning program is working. If the level of injuries is low, then the team is doing well in this regard. They have zero control over which players are injured... that's more a matter of luck.

11 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Giants defense is better than the pats missing Gonzalez/judon. Dexter Lawrence is incredible idk how he doesn’t get more league wide hype   Part of it was definitely Daboll pretty much knowing exactly what we were going to do all game long too though lol 

Giants defense has been getting screwed all year by their abysmal offense 

Leonard Williams is a pretty top talent too. The Giants have some nice defensive pieces though they haven't put it all together yet.

10 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Or because our defense is such a hyper defense that is so fast-paced.  The downside is that it obviously creates concern for whether or not they can keep that quasi-frenetic pace up.  IMO that's a source for a lot of these injuries.  I could very well be off though. 

I think there's something to this. The Bills are a smaller, fly-to-the-ball defense which is why they can defense a team like the Dolphins effectively. I worry that the smaller, faster defense could incur injuries at a higher rate than other styles of defense. Maybe it's just a phobia but I've had this same thought.

9 hours ago, DCofNC said:

While that may be true, that says nothing of the value of the players out.  Example, which hurt more, Damar Hamlin being out for the year or Micha Hyde being out?  WHO misses the game is so much more important than just missed games.  If Diggs is out, whole game plan changes.  Hardy can’t play.. who?  Etc.  not having Tre, Jones, Milano, Oliver etc available is far more concerning that Settle missing games last year.

Yes. @MasterStrategistmade this point when talking about his "% of salary cap" measure.

Bottom line though is that the Bills under McBeane have been a model franchise in terms of keeping injury levels low.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

I think there's something to this. The Bills are a smaller, fly-to-the-ball defense which is why they can defense a team like the Dolphins effectively. I worry that the smaller, faster defense could incur injuries at a higher rate than other styles of defense. Maybe it's just a phobia but I've had this same thought.

There's a good Ryan O'Halloran article about the D linked on today's front page.  It adds some great info that supports this as well.  

On 10/20/2023 at 2:42 PM, Beck Water said:

I don't believe this for a minute.

I do believe that they realize Oliver likely won't be able to recover in time to play Thurs and will be limited if he plays Sunday

Actually, Phillips needs to discipline himself and play within the scheme and not overpursue this week.

Ford, Settle and whoever they elevate off the PS need to step up, and Rousseau needs to be impactful if they rotate him inside.

I have no idea what on earth this means. 

McDermott saying an injured player who did not practice is out for the game, is somehow mistaken?

Really? You have “no idea” McDermott is ridiculously cautious regarding injuries and is always handing out days off to vets? 🤦‍♂️

11 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Really? You have “no idea” McDermott is ridiculously cautious regarding injuries and is always handing out days off to vets? 🤦‍♂️

correct.  I have no idea that McDermott is ridiculously cautious regarding injuries.  

If Milano playing when he couldn’t lift his arm to tackle and Ford playing when he couldn’t lift his arm to block is “ridiculously cautious”, what would aggressive look like, Monty Python’s Black Knight?

Fans come up with all kinds of narratives, like “McDermott just refuses to play rookies of superior ability”

Just now, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I thought it looked like it was going to be a long day early on, but the Bills D stiffened I thought on runs up the middle as the game went on. 

I don’t remember Stevenson or

Elliott really dominating much past the first two drives. 

Secondary continues to be the main issue.  I hardly see contested catches at all anymore.  When I watch almost every other game, I do.  it's a problem, a big one.  The Pats offense average 12 points per game coming into this contest and Mac Jones just threw 3 tds.

Say what you want about Allen and the offense, yeah, the slow starts are an issue, but when you are protecting a 3 point lead with less than 2 mins left to play, you should be forcing Ot at WORST... we gave up a TD.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BobBelcher said:

Secondary continues to be the main issue.  I hardly see contested catches at all anymore.  When I watch almost every other game, I do.  it's a problem, a big one.  The Pats offense average 12 points per game coming into this contest and Mac Jones just threw 3 tds.

Say what you want about Allen and the offense, yeah, the slow starts are an issue, but when you are protecting a 3 point lead with less than 2 mins left to play, you should be forcing Ot at WORST... we gave up a TD.

And can’t blame Elam today.

Pharaoh Brown ate our lunch for 2 long ones.

Demario Douglas killed us.

Benford on the penalties today, and Dane was a step late.

But today, it was also Taron Johnson. 

To your point, just naming the entire secondary. 

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

correct.  I have no idea that McDermott is ridiculously cautious regarding injuries.  

If Milano playing when he couldn’t lift his arm to tackle and Ford playing when he couldn’t lift his arm to block is “ridiculously cautious”, what would aggressive look like, Monty Python’s Black Knight?

Fans come up with all kinds of narratives, like “McDermott just refuses to play rookies of superior ability”

Ok. I realize you’ve never played competitive football, though you’re an excellent poster with significant knowledge of the sport. What you’ve missed is from Little League to Freshman ball to JV to Varsity, every single day is full pads, full contact, then play games on Friday night/Saturday afternoon. Unless you’re in a cast, you dress and play when your number is called. Everybody has bumps and bruises. Everybody puts it out of their mind and straps the chinstrap. Our Championship Bills teams had 33 players and damn near every player played every game for 3 straight years unless they had a cast on. McDermott lost the game yesterday because he didn’t play Ed Oliver who had a boo-boo. If he plays Thursday night, and I’m fairly certain he will, it means nursemaid McDermott lost this game because he sat an important starter and our opponent beat us because of it. THAT’S the ‘idea’.

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

CB’s showed that if the DL isn’t great they suck.

It was a major trickle down effect. The ineffective DTs resulted in big time issues for the DEs, which gave Mac all day to throw. Bills secondary isn’t the most athletic, so that created issues for the DBs.

The DTs killed the run game because they couldn’t keep Bernard/Williams clean. Dodson came in because he is better vs the run, I wouldn’t be shocked to see AJ Klein see some reps as well until Ed is back and we figure out who can play next to him. 

D injuries are so intertwined when this many happen. I have nothing negative to say about the D. 

Ever since Milano went out, snowball affect

Post Milano, O has had to step up 1H/play ahead to help injury D and the O has failed miserably. 

Edited by Since1981

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.