Ex-Bill RB Marshawn Lynch says Police Profiling was the reason he left Buffalo on recent podcast

Big Turk

31 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I've been a product of profiling on numerous occasions. The thing about it is that it was by black and white cops all because of the type of car I was driving. They'd pull me over and the first question they'd ask was "who's car are you driving? " Smh

Same. They think if anyone makes more money than them they have to be doing something illegal. Like no I worked hard for my money and enjoy nice things. 

31 minutes ago, mrags said:

So because these cops were doing their jobs and pulling over someone for having illegal window tint (I believe anything over 15% is illegal in NYS) they are targeting you? And before you talk about your BS exemption, not all cops are aware of that when they pull you over. Bottom line, you have the right for your exemption as long as you understand that the cops have the right to stop you and ask you to provide proof of it. 

It is in the computer that I have an exemption. They have confirmed that with me and my lawyer many times. Theres also a sticker that is on each window.  I've provided it to the same cop 7 times in 3 weeks and a different one 5 times in the following month. That is harassment and illegal. 

A medical condition is BS? Wow. Youre... Special. Making up things that didn't happen in the games and now medical issues are BS. Maybe you should have left. I'm changing my vote. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Same. They think if anyone makes more money than them they have to be doing something illegal. Like no I worked hard for my money and enjoy nice things. 

It is in the computer that I have an exemption. They have confirmed that with me and my lawyer many times. I've provided it to the same cop 7 times in 3 weeks and a different one 5 times in the following month. That is harassment and illegal. 

A medical condition is BS? Wow. Youre... Special. Making up things that didn't happen in the games and now medical issues are BS. Maybe you should have left. I'm changing my vote. 

Cool. When you comply with NYS laws and regulations let me know.

• Vomit 1

5 minutes ago, mrags said:

Cool. When you comply with NYS laws and regulations let me know

The exemption is from the state of New York. Wow.. You know what they say about arguing with idiots. You might want to seek mental help. You don't seem to have a strong grasp on reality. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

36 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I've been a product of profiling on numerous occasions. The thing about it is that it was by black and white cops all because of the type of car I was driving. They'd pull me over and the first question they'd ask was "who's car are you driving? " Smh

Great humble brag and now I have to ask, what kind of car? :thumbsup:

• Haha (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

The exemption is from the state of New York. Wow.. You know what they say about arguing with idiots. You might want to seek mental help. You don't seem to have a strong grasp on reality. 

And your the one that thinks police have all your information right up on display before they even pull you over because they saw your car from probably an 1/8 a mile away with limo tint in n it. All cops are psychic and have Eagle vision to see your plate from hundreds of feet away. Got ya. 

• Eyeroll 1

The Beast left because he was traded.  I live in Seattle and remember when the trade went down.Pete Carroll said he wanted Lynch all along.  Every Monday he called Bubba Nix and asked about a trade.  One Monday Bubba said yes.

I think this may have had some to do with it too:

Lynch played his first game of the 2009 season against the Miami Dolphins and played the rest of the season. Beginning November 29, he was replaced as the Bills' starting running back by Fred Jackson, who had the first 1,000-yard rushing season of his career. Lynch finished the season with 450 yards on 120 carries with two rushing touchdowns and did not break 100 rushing yards in a single game for the first time in his career.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshawn_Lynch

Edited by reddogblitz

8 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

The Beast left because he was traded.  I live in Seattle and remember when the trade went down.Pete Carroll said he wanted Lynch all along.  Every Monday he called Bubba Nix and asked about a trade.  One Monday Bubba said yes.

I think this may have had some to do with it too:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshawn_Lynch

The Bills totally screwed up trading Lynch and only getting 2 mid round picks.  My take is if they were set at trading him they should have done it before the draft.  Instead they kept him when his market value was higher & then drafted C J Spiller with their #1 pick.  Once they drafted Spiller, they were announcing to the world that Lynch could be had.  Then they cut into his playing time & further devalued him.  I remember Buddy Nix admitting he wasn't the smartest guy in the room, and his handling of the whole situation affirmed that.  

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

This reminds me of the story from Marshawn about after he got drafted and flew to Buffalo he was looking around thinking where's all the skyscrapers? He had heard NY was a big city! This man is a college graduate.

I think he came out after his junior year, so he was not a graduate.  That said, he did attend Cal-Berkeley, one of the top universities in the country.  He may have gone back to get his degree - I have no idea - but not at that point in time.

I'm sure the stories are mixed, but it's clear that Lynch was not a model citizen while with the Bills, nor has he been since he left Buffalo.  He's has a number of run-ins with the law since.  The guy was a great player and had some all-time moments with Seattle.  He's also reshaped his image to become popular in ads and other media (I think he does pieces on TNF for Amazon Prime).  I don't think the issues he had with the police in Buffalo were racism-related.  Not to say there isn't racism in Buffalo or in police forces, but Bills players are pretty much revered in Buffalo (and in most places).  Many black players loved their time in Buffalo and some have stayed in or moved back to the area.  I'm inclined to believe that there's some truth to the stories about the Hamburg officer's wife, plus other public incidents with Lynch, such as the much-publicized hit-and-run on Chippewa, that made him a target of the police.

30 minutes ago, mrags said:

And your the one that thinks police have all your information right up on display before they even pull you over because they saw your car from probably an 1/8 a mile away with limo tint in n it. All cops are psychic and have Eagle vision to see your plate from hundreds of feet away. Got ya. 

What an ignorant load of crap.

He's already told you that he's got a legal exemption due to a medical condition confirmed by a Doctor, but you couldn't care less.

He already told you that he's been pulled over a dozen times in under two months by the same two guys, but you couldn't care less.

They could easily tuck in, run his plates and see his stickers before pulling him over to harass him, but they'd rather act like #######s.

You could easily read the post and keep your ignorance to yourself instead of insulting him, but you'd rather act the same.

When you have an issue with other people, maybe sometimes the mirror is the first place you ought to look.

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Simon said:

What an ignorant load of crap.

He's already told you that he's got a legal exemption due to a medical condition confirmed by a Doctor, but you couldn't care less.

He already told you that he's been pulled over a dozen times in under two months by the same two guys, but you couldn't care less.

They could easily tuck in, run his plates and see his stickers before pulling him over to harass him, but they'd rather act like #######s.

You could easily read the post and keep your ignorance to yourself instead of insulting him, but you'd rather act the same.

When you have an issue with other people, maybe sometimes the mirror is the first place you ought to look.

And when he realizes that it’s New York State law against a certain % tint and the police have the legal right to pull him over to confirm it then maybe we can have a reasonable conversation. Glad to see you aren’t biased towards the fact that he called me an idiot and you are so against people insulting others here. Let me guess, I’m going to get a suspension for this after being called an idiot and following New York State laws. Got it 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mrags said:

when he realizes that it’s New York State law against a certain % tint and the police have the legal right to pull him over to confirm it

Maybe when you realize it's New York state law that there are legal medical exemptions and that the police don't have to pull him over to confirm it, we might have a reasonable conversation. Or maybe if you just kept that obnoxious, insulting crap to yourself instead of repeatedly ragging on other people for no good reason, we wouldn't even have to have a conversation.

As for the rest of your whiny nonsense, it's just more of your same old totally dishonest world-should-revolve-around-me bull####.

The last word is yours; I'm not wasting any more seconds on you.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Possible? Yes. 
Probable? Hardly.

Marshawn has ALWAYS been a piece of work. 

Fair. But if that story with the Hamburg PD is true, that might have ticked up the ol’ odds in the probability department. Certainly possible. Men, particularly fraternal men, have been accused of far worse. 

• Like (+1) 1

It was very Interesting when he moved to Seattle. Being a Bills fan myself I knew of his background, ie. 2 runs ins with the law including an unlicensed gun charge in California. Seattle is not real big on guns. In Seattle, the bad boy image was scrapped and the new Lovable Goofball image emerged.  Still wonder if he worked with his agent on this to pull it off.

8 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Even if this was the case, they have no basis for pulling anyone over on private property.

So in general, of course this is true.  But question: how does law enforcement on the stadium grounds work?

Isn't the stadium owned by Erie County and leased by the Bills? 

Would that give Erie County LEO jurisdiction? 

If not, would the Bills have an agreement with Erie County or with Hamburg police giving them jurisdiction?

Edited by Beck Water

6 hours ago, Logic said:

Agreed. I have no doubt that my looking like I did and being in that part of town is what led to a lot of the interactions.

I think the key point to me is that things like "you don't seem like you belong in this part of town, and therefore are likely up to no good" and "you're driving late at night, and are therefore likely up to no good" were, in my experience, routinely used as justification for pulling me over. But they AREN'T. Neither thing rises to the level of probable cause that a crime is being committed, which is the legal standard for pulling someone over.

I got very used to this type of thing, and just assumed that's what all policing everywhere is like. I've now spent a decade+ on the west coast, driven all around Oregon and California and Washington, and have not found this to be the case. The RPD was particularly aggressive in their tactics, and I have found their behavior to be the exception rather than the rule, at least compared to policing where I now live and routinely travel.

Not sure why you brought this up in a thread about blacks being profiled.

It's a much different situation.

I think the average white person in Rochester for many decades after the 1970's and 80's was OK with the cops keeping an eye out for potential serial killers (usually white/square looking/average car prowling for people who might not be missed).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

It’s really hard to give this guy the benefit of the doubt when he has multiple DUIs, hit a lady on Chippewa (probably drunk), and got a weapons charge with guns in his car.

He appears to be constantly high or buzzed off of booze. He’s literally smoking in this interview. He used to joke/brag about drinking shots of liquor during/before games.

Seahawks still should have run the ball in the Super Bowl though.

• Agree 1

Not a Lynch fan. When he was here in Buffalo he would leave Bars & Restaurants with out paying.Then during the off season he'd go back to Oakland & incur gun charges, He was suspend for some time will here on a gun charge from off season stuff in Oakland. He had another NFL suspension pending on another off season incident in Oakland, but as soon as he was traded to Seattle we didn't hear any more about this & he just started playing. Buffalo panicked & traded him away for nothing, they should have held out longer. This is the guy that after Goddell gave him a pass won't speak to the media at the Super Bowl, now he's on TV doing commercials & selling Skittles . Fred Jackson was a better all around player & professional & Lynch knew it. Oh, he hit a women with his car & left her laying in the street & but police are

profiling him. Well he continued to hang out on the strip & causes problems, why won't they keep an eye on him when he was down there.

Edited by 1st&ten
  • Agree 2

He left because he was traded. He was traded because he had well documented off the field issues. Surprise! He had off the field issues in Seattle too, at first.

Lynch was trouble. He grew up some and seems to have matured a bit, but he is still a little off and always has been.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Skittles are a hell of a drug. 

I drive out of Highmark Stadium after every home game. I've seen Rex Ryan, Thurman Thomas, Terry Pegula, and others.....along with a boatload of drunk idiots leaving. Not once have I seen someone pulled over until at least the 219. 

Marshawn never talked to the media when he was a player. Now he can't keep his piehole shut. Dude is looney tunes. But one hell of a RB. I'm still pissed at Pete Carrol for trying to pass from the 1 yard line when you have ML. Might be one of the top 5 dumbest play calls in the NFL ever.  

Edited by Bubba Gump
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, 1st&ten said:

Not a Lynch fan. When he was here in Buffalo he would leave Bars & Restaurants with out paying.Then during the off season he'd go back to Oakland & incur gun charges, He was suspend for some will here on a gun off season stuff in Oakland. He had another NFL suspension pending on another off season incident in Oakland, but as soon as he was traded to Seattle we didn't hear any about this & he just started playing. Buffalo panicked & traded him away for nothing, they should have held longer. This is the guy that after Goddell gave him a pass won't speak to the media at the Super Bowl, now he's on TV doing commercials& selling Skittles . Fred Jackson was a better all around player & professional & Lynch knew it. Oh, he hit a women with his car & left her laying in the street & but police are

profiling him. Well he continued to hang on the strip & causes problems, why won't they keep an eye on him when he's down there.

How dare he do a Skittles commercial! 

17 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

I’ll take Racism for $200 Alex

Ill take he made the mistake of hitting on a cops wife and her husband finding out she had his info.  Tons of Black players in Bills history and I don't remember one having the issues Beast mode did. But hey, run the race narrative because that must be it...

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Heard enough off the field stories while he was here from people I trust to come to the conclusion he was an immature scumbag.  Maybe he changed his life for the better after he left.

Age doesn’t seem to have brought him wisdom or perspective yet. 

I like him as a player and small doses off the field but I’m sure he/his personality would be hard to be around for more than that. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Not sure why you brought this up in a thread about blacks being profiled.

It's a much different situation.

I think the average white person in Rochester for many decades after the 1970's and 80's was OK with the cops keeping an eye out for potential serial killers (usually white/square looking/average car prowling for people who might not be missed).

I think that my initial response in this thread and my related responses that followed, which were pointing out my own experiences of overly aggressive policing tactics in western New York, were indeed pertinent to the conversation at hand, given that said conversation involves overly aggressive policing tactics in western New York. I'm sorry you feel differently. Thankfully, you don't have a little badge that allows you to decide what other people can talk about on this forum.

As I explained in my replies, I, for one (and many folks I know, for that matter) were NOT okay with the cops "keeping an eye out for potential serial killers", or however you want to try justify the extra-legal tactics I described.

Great to hear from you, though. I sure missed our chats.

8 minutes ago, Logic said:

I think that my initial response in this thread and my related responses that followed, which were pointing out my own experiences of overly aggressive policing tactics in western New York, were indeed pertinent to the conversation at hand, given that said conversation involves overly aggressive policing tactics in western New York. I'm sorry you feel differently. Thankfully, you don't have a little badge that allows you to decide what other people can talk about on this forum.

As I explained in my replies, I, for one (and many folks I know, for that matter) were NOT okay with the cops "keeping an eye out for potential serial killers", or however you want to try justify the extra-legal tactics I described.

Great to hear from you, though. I sure missed our chats.

you mean... you weren't lurking Buffao in a Buick back in the 70's?!? 🤣

(yes, i know you weren't. from my guess by how old ya look you are 35 at best)

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/17/2023 at 2:35 PM, Logic said:

I believe it. My interactions with police officers in western New York generally seemed prefaced on the assumption that I didn't know my rights. Fortunately, I did, and any time I demonstrated so, they usually backed down -- though clearly it irritated them, and sometimes it took a cooler headed second officer to talk the first one into giving it up.

I was not a fan of the Rochester police. I felt harassed by them FAR more often than I felt protected by them, as did many friends of mine.

How many times were you arrested?

On 10/17/2023 at 2:35 PM, Logic said:

I was not a fan of the Rochester police. I felt harassed by them FAR more often than I felt protected by them, as did many friends of mine.

Nowadays you have to be doing something pretty serious to get the attention of RPD

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.