Ex-Bill RB Marshawn Lynch says Police Profiling was the reason he left Buffalo on recent podcast

Big Turk

Just now, Big Turk said:

I got stopped leaving work one night because I worked down by the Broadway Market and it was already dark since it was around this time of year and I was getting off at 8pm-ish.  The police stopped me and asked what I was doing down there.  Told them I was leaving work to go home. They asked where I worked. Mind you, I had my work clothes on that showed exactly where I worked so I just pointed to the logo...

Then they said "Oh, we just wanted to check because there are a lot of white people who come down here at this time of night to buy drugs and we wanted to make sure that wasn't what you were doing down here."  

I looked at them and asked them "What was your probable cause to pull me over?"

They said "Have a nice night and walked away."  

i was actually just about to ask @Logic if he was typically pulled over in specific parts of the city.  it was my understanding that you would get pulled over if they felt you didn't belong there.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

I got stopped leaving work one night because I worked down by the Broadway Market and it was already dark since it was around this time of year and I was getting off at 8pm-ish.  The police stopped me and asked what I was doing down there.  Told them I was leaving work to go home. They asked where I worked. Mind you, I had my work clothes on that showed exactly where I worked so I just pointed to the logo...

Then they said "Oh, we just wanted to check because there are a lot of white people who come down here at this time of night to buy drugs and we wanted to make sure that wasn't what you were doing down here."  

I looked at them and asked them "What was your probable cause to pull me over?"

They said "Have a nice night and walked away."  

I believe it. My interactions with police officers in western New York generally seemed prefaced on the assumption that I didn't know my rights. Fortunately, I did, and any time I demonstrated so, they usually backed down -- though clearly it irritated them, and sometimes it took a cooler headed second officer to talk the first one into giving it up.

I was not a fan of the Rochester police. I felt harassed by them FAR more often than I felt protected by them, as did many friends of mine.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, teef said:

i was actually just about to ask @Logic if he was typically pulled over in specific parts of the city.  it was my understanding that you would get pulled over if they felt you didn't belong there.

I almost asked them to have their sergeant come out and file a complaint but I didn't feel like waiting another hour or however long it would have taken for all that to happen and I was tired and just wanted to get home.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, teef said:

Yes.

For a long time I lived on Clifford Ave, not far from Conkey. That was where a lot of this happened.

In fairness, though, one of the incidents described did happen in a nice suburban part of East Irondequoit. I drove a pretty new looking tan/gold Dodge Stratus at the time. Normal looking dude, normal looking car, not breaking any laws, not speeding.

I realize this isn't everyone's experience, but it was mine. I can only speak for myself and what I experienced.

Just now, Logic said:

Yes.

For a long time I lived on Clifford Ave, not far from Conkey. That was where a lot of this happened.

In fairness, though, one of the incidents described did happen in a nice suburban part of East Irondequoit. I drove a pretty new looking tan/gold Dodge Stratus at the time. Normal looking dude, normal looking car, not breaking any laws, not speeding.

I realize this isn't everyone's experience, but it was mine. I can only speak for myself and what I experienced.

I had another far more interesting stop happen in Lancaster on my way home from a friends house around 1am once where I basically asked the cop if it was illegal to be driving at 1am when he couldn't give me a reason why he pulled me over.

19 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Yeah, playing down racism and proclaiming to know the REAL truth... right on brand.

well, knowing the whole story is important to this situation. lynch stirred up trouble when he hit on a married woman who may have been enticing him. the story was very well covered here back in the day.

i don't know what brand means but you don't need to run your mouth when you don't know the whole story claiming someone is trying to downplay racism when you don't even know what the hell you're talking about. lurk more, speak less.

Edited by boyst
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Logic said:

Yes.

i'm really not sure if i'm making this up, but i remember an incident happening somewhere similar in the city, and shortly after it became know that if you didn't look the part, you were getting pulled over due the assumption that you were up to no good in that area.  i thought you could be pulled over with no specific cause as well, but it just doesn't sound right.  

clifford ave is that area though.  my best friend's dad owned in insulation/asbestos removal company on clifford, and the stories they had were amazing.  that said just a short bit down, it was empire blvd.  it's a strange stretch of road.

• Like (+1) 1

Not saying he isn’t telling the truth, 
but being that ML has always been a choir boy ya know, he would have never brought this upon himself…, 😂

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I wonder what the whole story is.  Not saying he's lying, he very well might have been pulled over for no reason...I wasn't there.  

It would be nice to hear reasons why.

I had a friend that said cops were out to get him and why he got a ticket.  He had expired tags by like 3-4 months but still felt like it wasn't justified and the cops targeted him.   

Driving while black in buffalo suburbs of a near certainty over 5 years.

3 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Not saying he isn’t telling the truth, 
but being that ML has always been a choir boy ya know, he would have never brought this upon himself…, 😂

Which basically furthers my thought that this was a personal vendetta against him some officers had.

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Checked to see if there was anything else on this previously...apparently he just talked about this on a podcast with Shannon Sharpe...

Sounds pretty personal honestly, like one cop or a group of cops had some type of personal vendetta against him...getting pulled over multiple times leaving the game and practices while still on stadium grounds??  Has any other player reported anything like this?

Seems strange that he would be the only person this would happen to if it was this aggressive...

"Marshawn Lynch revealed on a recent episode of Shannon Sharpe’s Club Shay Shay podcast that police profiling was the reason he left the Buffalo Bills.

Lynch seemed almost at a loss for words as he told Sharpe about a series of incidents. “I’d get pulled over going to work, I’d get pulled over coming from work,” he said. “I got pulled over in the stadium leaving the game. I’m still on the property of the Buffalo Bills, and I got pulled over twice. In the facility!"

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/marshawn-lynch-reveals-profiling-police-204320362.html

I try to get on the Marshawn bandwagon but will mention…. 

1) maybe the profile was guys accused of hit and run that played games with the police

2) it’s hard for Marshawn to simultaneously joke about things like Hennessy during games then also complain about being targeted leaving games 

3) the man had plenty of legal issues outside of Buffalo 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, teef said:

i'm really not sure if i'm making this up, but i remember an incident happening somewhere similar in the city, and shortly after it became know that if you didn't look the part, you were getting pulled over due the assumption that you were up to no good in that area.  i thought you could be pulled over with no specific cause as well, but it just doesn't sound right.  

clifford ave is that area though.  my best friend's dad owned in insulation/asbestos removal company on clifford, and the stories they had were amazing.  that said just a short bit down, it was empire blvd.  it's a strange stretch of road.

Agreed. I have no doubt that my looking like I did and being in that part of town is what led to a lot of the interactions.

I think the key point to me is that things like "you don't seem like you belong in this part of town, and therefore are likely up to no good" and "you're driving late at night, and are therefore likely up to no good" were, in my experience, routinely used as justification for pulling me over. But they AREN'T. Neither thing rises to the level of probable cause that a crime is being committed, which is the legal standard for pulling someone over.

I got very used to this type of thing, and just assumed that's what all policing everywhere is like. I've now spent a decade+ on the west coast, driven all around Oregon and California and Washington, and have not found this to be the case. The RPD was particularly aggressive in their tactics, and I have found their behavior to be the exception rather than the rule, at least compared to policing where I now live and routinely travel.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Which basically furthers my thought that this was a personal vendetta against him some officers had.

We don’t know, but there is likely some embellishment on ML part, he has never been an angel…, 

True or not, and I suspect there is more to it than Lynch will admit, the reason he left the Bills is that he was traded because he was being outperformed by a free agent from the USFL and he already had two strikes in the NFL personal conduct policy -  the hit and run on Chippewa and being pulled over with an illegal firearm in the trunk in Oakland.  I am sure he was not happy in Buffalo, but no one was particularly happy with him either.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Use to sneak his own bottles into clubs.   Hit someone while driving drunk then hides from the police.   Post playing career actively calls kids p@$$ies at a football camp.

Dude is a complete moron who people love because he comes across funny.   He isn't funny, just an old child who never grew up.  Very lucky he was good at football.

How many players have come through Buffalo, of all colors, who have never had an issue with the police?  Something tells me Marshawn had more to do with it than he is letting on.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Can confirm OP, WS, Amherst and ECSO do exactly what he's describing. Amherst does it to me daily. I have tint exemption for light sensitivity. They wait for me at the same place and pull me once or twice a week on way to work. One time was in my Drs parking lot. Dr came out and confirmed I have the exemption. They still harass me. We've filed harassment stuff against them a few times. They stop for a bit then start up again. They did it weekly when I was in college as well. Filed a lawsuit and it stopped for 6 years then I moved back into Amherst and it started again. Detective Dempsey was the worst. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Checked to see if there was anything else on this previously...apparently he just talked about this on a podcast with Shannon Sharpe...

Sounds pretty personal honestly, like one cop or a group of cops had some type of personal vendetta against him...getting pulled over multiple times leaving the game and practices while still on stadium grounds??  Has any other player reported anything like this?

Seems strange that he would be the only person this would happen to if it was this aggressive...

"Marshawn Lynch revealed on a recent episode of Shannon Sharpe’s Club Shay Shay podcast that police profiling was the reason he left the Buffalo Bills.

Lynch seemed almost at a loss for words as he told Sharpe about a series of incidents. “I’d get pulled over going to work, I’d get pulled over coming from work,” he said. “I got pulled over in the stadium leaving the game. I’m still on the property of the Buffalo Bills, and I got pulled over twice. In the facility!"

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/marshawn-lynch-reveals-profiling-police-204320362.html

sounds like a good game plan by the police really. listen, i have fun memories of lynch as a seahawk, i can seperate the art from artist.... but dont let his silly goofy stick fool you.

he strong armed $20 from some chick at an Applebees (think he slapped her? dont quote me), who ended up being a relative to cops. Walked out on Bills. brought his own mini bottles places. 

anybody in NY will tell you the city you're driving in with expired registration/inspection, is going to pull you over, and farm you for $$, no matter who you are.

now go drive around drunk on chippewa with a gun and weed, run over some chick... STOP BEING STUPID!  i am not a rule follower, especially trivial ones that hurt nobody else, and effect me, i wont do em. i get it marshawn, you can do that and also not be a scumbag, but non-aggression pact is the only way.  this dude racked up MVP's in the Tread On Innocents League, his entireeeeeeeeeeeee time here.

i like the guy still even, he grew up some, it happens.  its pretty crappy to be a well off black dude in America, yelling racism, when you're really just being a dumb ass. I dont condone cops harassing black people for driving, but to be a high profile black man, doing the type of things that causes more black people to be stopped and harrassed, while crying about it......... its hypocritical, and a disservice to the black people hes supposedly "standing up for."

go be a good example.... or hell, just go NOT be a bad example.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Can confirm OP, WS, Amherst and ECSO do exactly what he's describing. Amherst does it to me daily. I have tint exemption for light sensitivity. They wait for me at the same place and pull me once or twice a week on way to work. One time was in my Drs parking lot. Dr came out and confirmed I have the exemption. They still harass me. We've filed harassment stuff against them a few times. They stop for a bit then start up again. They did it weekly when I was in college as well. Filed a lawsuit and it stopped for 6 years then I moved back into Amherst and it started again. Detective Dempsey was the worst. 

File a lawsuit against them personally and I bet it will stop real quick.

2 hours ago, zow2 said:

I love Buffalo and WNY, it's been many years but growing up there the city had to be considered one of the most segregated in America.  I'm sure not intentional, its just the way it was.   I can't speak to it now. 

Moved to NC few years back and its totally different here. I call it voluntary segregation up there. I wont pretend to know that about areas people live, but voluntary social segregation is very fitting. Its just so rare. i love it down in my state, at least socially, it never feels like that to me

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

When you run down a poor Canadian woman and barricade yourself in your house for a weekend until your high wears off, you kind of earn it imo. 

1 hour ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

So because these cops were doing their jobs and pulling over someone for having illegal window tint (I believe anything over 15% is illegal in NYS) they are targeting you? And before you talk about your BS exemption, not all cops are aware of that when they pull you over. Bottom line, you have the right for your exemption as long as you understand that the cops have the right to stop you and ask you to provide proof of it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I've been a product of profiling on numerous occasions. The thing about it is that it was by black and white cops all because of the type of car I was driving. They'd pull me over and the first question they'd ask was "who's car are you driving? " Smh

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

Use to sneak his own bottles into clubs.   Hit someone while driving drunk then hides from the police.   Post playing career actively calls kids p@$$ies at a football camp.

Dude is a complete moron who people love because he comes across funny.   He isn't funny, just an old child who never grew up.  Very lucky he was good at football.

How many players have come through Buffalo, of all colors, who have never had an issue with the police?  Something tells me Marshawn had more to do with it than he is letting on.

I agree with you but those kids were being pussies

• Haha (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.