Ex-Bill RB Marshawn Lynch says Police Profiling was the reason he left Buffalo on recent podcast

Big Turk

50 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

How many times were you arrested?

Extra-legal harassment is extra-legal harassment, arrest or not.

23 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Nowadays you have to be doing something pretty serious to get the attention of RPD

Fair enough. I haven't lived in Rochester in over a decade, so I really can't comment on what the RPD is like nowadays. 

15 or so years ago, it was a different story. At least in my experience.

Edited by Logic

10 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

If you prefer not to answer the question, I suppose that I don't blame you.

And thanks for the clarification about car stops. 👍

Zero times, Bill. Zero times.

Now please explain how your question is relevant whatsoever to the discussion.

8 minutes ago, Logic said:

Zero times, Bill. Zero times.

Now please explain how your question is relevant whatsoever to the discussion.

It's not relevant...just like when the cops randomly ask for your ID so they can run a check on you to see if they should arrest you or not even when they have no legal basis for asking for your ID.  Like if you are a passenger in a car.

Always ask them "Is that a lawful order?" because if they say yes and it's obviously not, like asking a passenger for their ID, depending on the state you are in it can take away their qualified immunity and you can directly sue them then.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

To be fair I get pulled over decently often in Buffalo

Because I'm not supposed to be in this area... Really? A lifelong buffaloian and I can't be in this part of town

I get profiled on the east side lol

For almost a decade I’ve gone to park several times a week. I’m often the only white guy there. One day a local police car went by and the guy I was hitting balls with stopped and pointed out they had a new paint job. That really meant nothing to me. He yelled out to the rest of the crowd “Hey! He doesn’t even notice the paint jobs on cop cars!”  It was a big hit! LOTS of laughs!

But it was also true to some degree, so it also sucks. 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 10/17/2023 at 2:18 PM, Buffalo03 said:

He left Buffalo because he gor traded lol. I highly doubt this happened. I think he got pulled over obviously for reasons that would get you pulled over. But didn't he say the night life here sucked to? I could swear he said that

That was Willis McGahee I believe.  

12 hours ago, Logic said:

I think that my initial response in this thread and my related responses that followed, which were pointing out my own experiences of overly aggressive policing tactics in western New York, were indeed pertinent to the conversation at hand, given that said conversation involves overly aggressive policing tactics in western New York. I'm sorry you feel differently. Thankfully, you don't have a little badge that allows you to decide what other people can talk about on this forum.

As I explained in my replies, I, for one (and many folks I know, for that matter) were NOT okay with the cops "keeping an eye out for potential serial killers", or however you want to try justify the extra-legal tactics I described.

Great to hear from you, though. I sure missed our chats.

Sure and if your single mom happened to be one of those vulnerable females killed in Rochester you'd probably be of the opinion that the police should have noticed something was suspicious.   

But I do feel for you being so racially profiled......you are truly an honorary minority. :thumbsup:

• Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Augie said:

For almost a decade I’ve gone to park several times a week. I’m often the only white guy there. One day a local police car went by and the guy I was hitting balls with stopped and pointed out they had a new paint job. That really meant nothing to me. He yelled out to the rest of the crowd “Hey! He doesn’t even notice the paint jobs on cop cars!”  It was a big hit! LOTS of laughs!

But it was also true to some degree, so it also sucks. 

I am not saying that this was the case for I do not in any way know, but; do you think that it was possible that the area which you describe had a high crime rate and warranted more patrols than areas with a lesser crime rate? if this was the case, does it still "suck" Augie?

Jeez, folks complain about not enough police protection AND too much. Please, tell us exactly how this police department should have allocated their manpower to meet your exact yens and specifications. 

Despite the above, I must say that your concern for a better world does warm my heart.

21 hours ago, Logic said:

I think that my initial response in this thread and my related responses that followed, which were pointing out my own experiences of overly aggressive policing tactics in western New York, were indeed pertinent to the conversation at hand, given that said conversation involves overly aggressive policing tactics in western New York. I'm sorry you feel differently. Thankfully, you don't have a little badge that allows you to decide what other people can talk about on this forum.

As I explained in my replies, I, for one (and many folks I know, for that matter) were NOT okay with the cops "keeping an eye out for potential serial killers", or however you want to try justify the extra-legal tactics I described.

Great to hear from you, though. I sure missed our chats.

Growing up in Irondequoit and dealing with those cops was obnoxious. We got pulled over on our bikes as kids and accused of riding through an old ladies yard and flipping her off. My friend got pulled for no good reason and I literally got questioned about the Blockbuster movies in my lap. They got around racial profiling by calling blacks "Canadians". The biggest bully/sexual predator in my class of course joined their ranks, got suspended for a year with pay for starting a bar fight after hitting on some guy's wife, then got promoted, then fired for racial slurs. The cops in other towns were even like WTF when it came to the IPD. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Sure and if your single mom happened to be one of those vulnerable females killed in Rochester you'd probably be of the opinion that the police should have noticed something was suspicious.   

But I do feel for you being so racially profiled......you are truly an honorary minority. :thumbsup:

Using serial killings in the 70s and 80s to justify extra-legal traffic stops in the 2000s is weird. Even THINKING to draw that parallel is bizarre.

Usually I have no choice but to begrudgingly admit that you are making good points or making good sense, but this definitely isn't one of your stronger outings.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 10/17/2023 at 1:38 PM, Big Turk said:

Checked to see if there was anything else on this previously...apparently he just talked about this on a podcast with Shannon Sharpe...

Sounds pretty personal honestly, like one cop or a group of cops had some type of personal vendetta against him...getting pulled over multiple times leaving the game and practices while still on stadium grounds??  Has any other player reported anything like this?

Seems strange that he would be the only person this would happen to if it was this aggressive...

"Marshawn Lynch revealed on a recent episode of Shannon Sharpe’s Club Shay Shay podcast that police profiling was the reason he left the Buffalo Bills.

Lynch seemed almost at a loss for words as he told Sharpe about a series of incidents. “I’d get pulled over going to work, I’d get pulled over coming from work,” he said. “I got pulled over in the stadium leaving the game. I’m still on the property of the Buffalo Bills, and I got pulled over twice. In the facility!"

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/marshawn-lynch-reveals-profiling-police-204320362.html

This was such a horrible horrible time in Bills history.   The way Buddy Bic handled this situation was so horrendous to the point that he to trade Lynch when his value was probably at an all-time low in terms of compensation.

There are some Bills fan who think Buddy was a good GM, I’ve always felt he was a joke

I actually can attest to this. Was attending a Notre Dame home football game while ML was in Buffalo. Met the worst,

most bigoted cop from a suburb of Buffalo who was telling my brother (a cop) and me that ML was a thug, in gangs, running drugs, etc.

When you can offend two middle-aged guys, guys who grew up in Buffalo in an era of ethnic jokes (from all sides, I’d like to add) you’ve hit a new level of offensive. Seriously. 

- Snap

Let's call this for what this really is. Lynch decides 10+ years later to get a few eyeballs and comments and to stir a narrative that fits conveniently for him and sometimes actually happens.

A more fitting narrative is that a guy who grew up around the nightlife, poverty, and also the bright lights of a large city like Oakland and its warm weather did not find Buffalo appealing.

He was in his early 20s, frontal lobe not developed, and he did not endear himself to the community. He also played with the Bills during the drought era and was far away from family and familiarity. He also had money and did not have choir boy behavior.

Was he a solid running back, yes. Some of his runs with Seattle and his "not getting fined" comments were hilarious.

Was there some profiling. Sure. Lynch also consciously or not certainly decided to cause the attention that draws law enforcement to you.

• Like (+1) 3

On 10/19/2023 at 8:53 PM, JohnNord said:

This was such a horrible horrible time in Bills history.   The way Buddy Bic handled this situation was so horrendous to the point that he to trade Lynch when his value was probably at an all-time low in terms of compensation.

There are some Bills fan who think Buddy was a good GM, I’ve always felt he was a joke

When players create untenable situations like Lynch did when he was here, there are few good options available for GMs. You can’t just give up on a talented young player, especially one who is a vital cog in your offense as Lynch was his first couple of seasons. The hope was Lynch would mature and stop the negative behavior before it became untenable. The only time Nix could have maximized the value in a trade was after Lynch’s All Pro season in his second year, and Buddy would have been crucified had he traded him at that time.

Sometimes you just reach a point where you have to cut your losses and that was the situation with Lynch. 

On 10/19/2023 at 1:13 PM, Logic said:

Using serial killings in the 70s and 80s to justify extra-legal traffic stops in the 2000s is weird. Even THINKING to draw that parallel is bizarre.

Usually I have no choice but to begrudgingly admit that you are making good points or making good sense, but this definitely isn't one of your stronger outings.

The problem didn't really dissipate until the late 1990's when law enforcement realized they had no choice but to keep a much closer eye out for creeps that fit your profile.   My guess is your mom was a young adult when Arthur Shawcross was carving up women in the late 1980's and early 1990's.    I'm just telling you having known police from Rochester from that era that there was a concerted effort to let people know that Rochester wasn't going to be treated like a hunting ground of vulnerable women and children.    I could give you a long list of my individual complaints with individual cops which dwarf your complaints but you have to first understand that policing means "preserving" law and order and in that context what happened to you hardly seems "extra-legal".

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.