Ex-Bill RB Marshawn Lynch says Police Profiling was the reason he left Buffalo on recent podcast

Big Turk

Checked to see if there was anything else on this previously...apparently he just talked about this on a podcast with Shannon Sharpe...

Sounds pretty personal honestly, like one cop or a group of cops had some type of personal vendetta against him...getting pulled over multiple times leaving the game and practices while still on stadium grounds??  Has any other player reported anything like this?

Seems strange that he would be the only person this would happen to if it was this aggressive...

"Marshawn Lynch revealed on a recent episode of Shannon Sharpe’s Club Shay Shay podcast that police profiling was the reason he left the Buffalo Bills.

Lynch seemed almost at a loss for words as he told Sharpe about a series of incidents. “I’d get pulled over going to work, I’d get pulled over coming from work,” he said. “I got pulled over in the stadium leaving the game. I’m still on the property of the Buffalo Bills, and I got pulled over twice. In the facility!"

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/marshawn-lynch-reveals-profiling-police-204320362.html

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

• Big Turk changed the title to Ex-Bill RB Marshawn Lynch says Police Profiling was the reason he left Buffalo

I wonder what the whole story is.  Not saying he's lying, he very well might have been pulled over for no reason...I wasn't there.  

It would be nice to hear reasons why.

I had a friend that said cops were out to get him and why he got a ticket.  He had expired tags by like 3-4 months but still felt like it wasn't justified and the cops targeted him.   

• Eyeroll 2

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

I wonder what the whole story is.  Not saying he's lying, he very well might have been pulled over for no reason...I wasn't there.  

I had a friend that said cops were out to get him and why he got a ticket.  He had expired tags by like 3-4 months but still felt like it wasn't justified and the cops targeted him.   

Even if this was the case, they have no basis for pulling anyone over on private property.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

The story goes that Marshawn was out and about and flirted with a woman and gave her his number (or got hers, I cant remember which) and that woman was the wife of a Hamburg PO.

After that it was a regular cadence of HPD harassing him.

Digging for the old details now...

edit:

Found it - https://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=4813349

There was a lot more talk going around regarding what the $20 was for. Why it was brought out in the first place. Whether he actually stole from her, or he ended up with her info and the husband discovered it and then railroaded him.

Report: Lynch accused of stealing $20

Associated Press

Jan 10, 2010, 11:50 AM ET

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- Buffalo Bills running back Marshawn Lynch
reportedly has been accused of stealing $20 from a police officer's wife.

The Buffalo News reported Saturday on its Web site that a
complaint to police said Lynch took money from the woman last month
at a restaurant in Hamburg, N.Y.

The woman's husband, Buffalo
Police Sgt. William Crawford, filed the complaint with Hamburg
police a day after, but they delayed giving a statement to
detectives until Wednesday.

The incident reportedly occurred Dec. 7.

Hamburg police declined to comment but confirmed that Crawford
made a complaint.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 8

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I’ll take Racism for $200 Alex

• Like (+1) 6
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 6
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3
  • Dislike 11

1 minute ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Wasn't there a report that he "stole" $20 from a cop's wife at an Applebee's ? 

Would not surprise me at all if they targeted him after that

Yes, I think it was a high ranking officer as well.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The story goes that Marshawn was out and about and flirted with a woman and gave her his number (or got hers, I cant remember which) and that woman was the wife of a Hamburg PO.

After that it was a regular cadence of HPD harassing him.

Digging for the old details now...

edit:

Found it - https://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=4813349

There was a lot more talk going around regarding what the $20 was for. Why it was brought out in the first place. Etc.

A teammate of mine went onto Tennessee to play in college.  He was told by several players to not keep anything valuable in your locker because of Travis Henry.  He had a big reputation for stealing.  

My story has nothing to do with Lynch, I just wanted to share a story that I know someone that played with Travis Henry.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Haha (+1) 12

Found a more details Buffalo News story. Details are... weird. There was another player there as well.

https://buffalonews.com/news/lynch-accused-of-stealing-20-police-officers-wife-says-running-back-threatened-a-friend/article_bed31cd5-54ce-5def-898e-fe6469c72b1c.html#tncms-source=login

Crawford said his wife's girlfriend was approached at the restaurant by another member of the Buffalo Bills, who struck up a conversation with the unmarried woman. At some point, Lynch arrived at the restaurant and joined them.

When the woman's girlfriend stepped away from the table, Crawford said his wife pulled out a $20 bill to pay their check in preparation for leaving.

Lynch, 23, of Hamburg, then grabbed the money from her hand.

"He takes the $20 out of her hand, and my wife says 'What are you doing?' and Lynch says 'Don't worry.' When my wife's girlfriend came back to the table, she told her about it. The girlfriend approached Lynch and said, 'Give my friend her money back,' and Lynch threatened her saying 'Do you know who I am? There's going to be consequences.'

"At that point, my wife and her girlfriend left," Crawford said.

Whole article below. I remember at the time there was a lot of speculation that the wife and friend were spotted hanging out/flirting with the players by other locals, word made it's way back to the husband through the police force, and then she covered with this story to save face.

Of course, it's not impossible that Lynch just decided to steal $20 from some random woman while out in public.

Buffalo Bills running back Marshawn Lynch took $20 from a Southtowns woman at a Hamburg restaurant last month, according to information received by The Buffalo News.

The woman's husband, Buffalo Police Sgt. William Crawford, filed a complaint with Hamburg police a day after the incident, but they delayed giving a statement to detectives until Wednesday, in part because she wanted to wait until the Bills' football season ended and Lynch was out of town.

"She's terrified of him. He threatened her girlfriend who tried to retrieve the money after he robbed my wife," Crawford said. "He thinks he's above the law because of his status as an athlete."

The incident occurred Dec. 7, at the TGI Friday's at McKinley Mall, where the detective sergeant's wife and her girlfriend had stopped before heading home.

After hearing what happened, Crawford said he went the next day to the Hamburg Police Department and filed a complaint against Lynch.

People are also reading…

Shakeup at Buffalo Bills and Sabres as John Roth, Kathryn D'Angelo removed

Erie County real estate transactions

Report Card: Grades reflect nature of Bills' too-close-for-comfort win

Feds charge nurse practitioner at Lockport clinic with distributing opioids

Hamburg police declined to comment but confirmed that Crawford made a complaint.

Crawford asked that his wife's name be withheld because she and her girlfriend are frightened of retribution from Lynch.

Crawford said his wife's girlfriend was approached at the restaurant by another member of the Buffalo Bills, who struck up a conversation with the unmarried woman. At some point, Lynch arrived at the restaurant and joined them.

When the woman's girlfriend stepped away from the table, Crawford said his wife pulled out a $20 bill to pay their check in preparation for leaving.

Lynch, 23, of Hamburg, then grabbed the money from her hand.

"He takes the $20 out of her hand, and my wife says 'What are you doing?' and Lynch says 'Don't worry.' When my wife's girlfriend came back to the table, she told her about it. The girlfriend approached Lynch and said, 'Give my friend her money back,' and Lynch threatened her saying 'Do you know who I am? There's going to be consequences.'

"At that point, my wife and her girlfriend left," Crawford said.

Crawford said he filed the complaint the next day with Hamburg police, and about 10 days later, a letter with $20 arrived at their home from the police.

Michael P. Caffery, Lynch's Buffalo attorney, declined to comment on the incident. He said Lynch is out of town.

Mark S. Carney, an attorney representing Crawford and his wife, who live in Orchard Park, raised concerns over how the $20 was returned.

"In what other robbery case would you expect a police agency to be used as a delivery service to make restitution for payment of money wrongfully taken?" Carney said.

The Crawfords later learned that Lynch tried to minimize the incident by telling Bills security personnel that he was a friend of hers. Crawford said that upset his wife, who does not know Lynch. At that point, she decided to give a statement to Hamburg police.

"We're not doing this because I'm a policeman. We're doing this because he robbed her. We want it to go to a grand jury. Lynch is a predator," Crawford said.

Lynch is currently on three years' probation for a misdemeanor gun possession charge in Los Angeles and, earlier this week, an Ontario woman began a negligence lawsuit against him for his highly publicized 2008 hit-and-run accident in downtown Buffalo.

Lynch has two years remaining on a five-year contract that he signed in 2007. The original contract was worth $10.275 million.

Bills spokesman Scott Berchtold said the team has no comment on the matter.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BaaadThingsMan said:

He had too big of a profile for a small city like Buffalo.

After a couple arrests for possession of marijuana and a loaded weapon it just became too much for Ralph and he ordered the trade,  hence the small return of only a fourth rounder. 

Dude, I'm not lying to you, I went to the Bills Cards game, you know the one where Trent Edwards nearly died, I saw Lynch in the lobby talking on the phone at the hotel.  

I didn't smell it but man his eyes were red.  I was sooooo tempted to walk up to him and ask him if he wanted to try some of my stuff.

But a little kid approached him for an autograph, he put that hand out and shook his head. 

So I decided not to bother him.

• Like (+1) 1

• Big Turk changed the title to Ex-Bill RB Marshawn Lynch says Police Profiling was the reason he left Buffalo on recent podcast
6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Found a more details Buffalo News story. Details are... weird. There was another player there as well.

https://buffalonews.com/news/lynch-accused-of-stealing-20-police-officers-wife-says-running-back-threatened-a-friend/article_bed31cd5-54ce-5def-898e-fe6469c72b1c.html#tncms-source=login

Whole article below. I remember at the time there was a lot of speculation that the wife and friend were spotted hanging out/flirting with the players by other locals, word made it's way back to the husband through the police force, and then she covered with this story to save face.

Of course, it's not impossible that Lynch just decided to steal $20 from some random woman while out in public.

This is likely the more plausible explanation from my experience in seeing how women work when they are out and about together without their man.  I know more than one friend who found out their girlfriend had a one night stand with a rando when they went out on "girls night out".

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Dude, I'm not lying to you, I went to the Bills Cards game, you know the one where Trent Edwards nearly died, I saw Lynch in the lobby talking on the phone at the hotel.  

I didn't smell it but man his eyes were red.  I was sooooo tempted to walk up to him and ask him if he wanted to try some of my stuff.

But a little kid approached him for an autograph, he put that hand out and shook his head. 

So I decided not to bother him.

He loves the ganja

9 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I would have assumed he was gonna pick up the tab and left.

8 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

This reminds me of the story from Marshawn about after he got drafted and flew to Buffalo he was looking around thinking where's all the skyscrapers? He had heard NY was a big city! This man is a college graduate.

There was a guy named Rafael Furcal that played for the Braves years ago.  He was supposedly really dumb.

He was late for his first game because he was driving circles around Atlanta.  There is a highway 285 that's just a big loop around Atlanta.

He never got off the highway, kept driving around the city.    

I knew a girl that was his side piece...

• Haha (+1) 2

The story about taking the $20 and threatening seems overboard and exaggerated.  Could be woman who said it was nervous about him.

My mother worked in restaurant in village of Orchard Park (same one my wedding reception was in) and he was being social with some people and when person put up money to pay from check he took it and then paid bill with credit card with very nice tip.  

Police can stop people on public property if there is cause.

If they were just harassing him on stadium property he should have just asked for help from fellow players or Bills staff with clear head - have someone ride with him and another car follow him.  If they stop him for no reasons he has witnesses and once he is out of Orchard Park.  Even offer a member of press to go with him.

10 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

This is likely the more plausible explanation from my experience in seeing how women work when they are out and about together without their man.  I know more than one friend who found out their girlfriend had a one night stand with a rando when they went out on "girls night out".

I mean, I dont know I need to go so anti-woman, but yes, it's possible and likely the ladies chatted with the players, someone saw them since Buffalo is such a small world and it was Xmas shopping time, the "rumor" got back to the Police Sgt husband who I'm sure is a level-headed, reasonable man when he hears his wife was out on a date with a football player, and wants to know why her friend went back to talk to them later and give them her number, and she covers with a story about stealing a small enough amount he cant get in major trouble.

Or a young, wild Lynch was really swiping $20s at the McKinley Mall after practice.

Who knows.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

38 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Checked to see if there was anything else on this previously...apparently he just talked about this on a podcast with Shannon Sharpe...

Sounds pretty personal honestly, like one cop or a group of cops had some type of personal vendetta against him...getting pulled over multiple times leaving the game and practices while still on stadium grounds??  Has any other player reported anything like this?

Seems strange that he would be the only person this would happen to if it was this aggressive...

"Marshawn Lynch revealed on a recent episode of Shannon Sharpe’s Club Shay Shay podcast that police profiling was the reason he left the Buffalo Bills.

Lynch seemed almost at a loss for words as he told Sharpe about a series of incidents. “I’d get pulled over going to work, I’d get pulled over coming from work,” he said. “I got pulled over in the stadium leaving the game. I’m still on the property of the Buffalo Bills, and I got pulled over twice. In the facility!"

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/marshawn-lynch-reveals-profiling-police-204320362.html

He left Buffalo because he gor traded lol. I highly doubt this happened. I think he got pulled over obviously for reasons that would get you pulled over. But didn't he say the night life here sucked to? I could swear he said that

Lynch is literally openly smoking a blunt during half of his interview with Sharpe, I'm guessing it was filmed in his house. He seems quite blazed throughout & gets incoherent at times, I gave up. He didn't talk about Buffalo in the parts I saw, but he did say some other things that seemed far-fetched. He probably wasn't in the frame of mind to accurately recall anything.

There are clips of the interview on YouTube. I had a hard time following along & gave up watching.

I'll just say this...

I'm a pretty "square" looking white guy. When I lived in western New York, I was routinely stopped for dubious reasons by the police. 

Once I was told that I was being stopped because the ball hitch on my truck was blocking a number on my license plate. Another time I was told that the air freshener hanging in my middle console was suspicious and the officer asked what I was trying to hide. Another time I was not given a reason WHY I was pulled over, but the officer pretty quickly asked if his dog could search my vehicle. I declined.

After being stopped and harassed multiple times over the years for no legitimate reason, I have yet to have this happen even one time in my decade+ living in Oregon.

My point is that I found the Rochester police -- in fairness, I never lived in Buffalo, so I can't comment on the Buffalo police -- to be overly aggressive and their frequent harassment to be lacking in merit and of questionable legality. And, as I said, I'm a square looking white guy. I don't think it's unreasonable to accept that a dreadlocked black man -- likely driving an expensive car -- is telling the truth when he speaks of unjustified police harassment in western New York.

• Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

20 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I mean, I dont know I need to go so anti-woman, but yes, it's possible and likely the ladies chatted with the players, someone saw them since Buffalo is such a small world and it was Xmas shopping time, the "rumor" got back to the Police Sgt husband who I'm sure is a level-headed, reasonable man when he hears his wife was out on a date with a football player, and wants to know why her friend went back to talk to them later and give them her number, and she covers with a story about stealing a small enough amount he cant get in major trouble.

Or a young, wild Lynch was really swiping $20s at the McKinley Mall after practice.

Who knows.

It's not anti-woman, it's simply knowing how things work oftentimes.  When the cat's away, the mice will play so to speak...and I know guys who cheated on their women in similar situations on "guy's nights out" as well, so it definitely goes both ways.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Logic said:

I'll just say this...

I'm a pretty "square" looking white guy. When I lived in western New York, I was routinely stopped for dubious reasons by the police. 

Once I was told that I was being stopped because the ball hitch on my truck was blocking a number on my license plate. Another time I was told that the air freshener hanging in my middle console was suspicious and the officer asked what I was trying to hide. Another time I was not given a reason WHY I was pulled over, but the officer pretty quickly asked if his dog could search my vehicle. I declined.

After being stopped and harassed multiple times over the years for no legitimate reason, I have yet to have this happen even one time in my decade+ living in Oregon.

My point is that I found the Rochester police -- in fairness, I never lived in Buffalo, so I can't comment on the Buffalo police -- to be overly aggressive and their frequent harassment to be lacking in merit and of questionable legality. And, as I said, I'm a square looking white guy. I don't think it's unreasonable to accept that a dreadlocked black man -- likely driving an expensive car -- is telling the truth when he speaks of unjustified police harassment in western New York.

I got stopped leaving work one night because I worked down by the Broadway Market and it was already dark since it was around this time of year and I was getting off at 8pm-ish.  The police stopped me and asked what I was doing down there.  Told them I was leaving work to go home. They asked where I worked. Mind you, I had my work clothes on that showed exactly where I worked so I just pointed to the logo...

Then they said "Oh, we just wanted to check because there are a lot of white people who come down here at this time of night to buy drugs and we wanted to make sure that wasn't what you were doing down here."  

I looked at them and asked them "What was your probable cause to pull me over?"

They said "Have a nice night." and walked away.  

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

20 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I love Buffalo and WNY, it's been many years but growing up there the city had to be considered one of the most segregated in America.  I'm sure not intentional, its just the way it was.   I can't speak to it now. 

My mother said it was for many, many years growing up there in the 50s and 60s and with the population decrease over time I imagine flight to the suburbs probably happened.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.