Kaiir Elam is a liability any time he is on the field

Einstein

47 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I like the optimism here, but have to disagree because McD had weeks to coach him up when he was inactive for games. 

no.  was listening on the radio for that one.  sounds like contain was lost. figured DE issue

McD coached him against no game tape and Elam had zero regular season snaps. I think he looks better next week for sure

• Like (+1) 1

Elam was in position more times than he wasn’t. But he needed to get eyes on the ball. Too often he played the man well without any idea of the pass.

He stood up for 3-ish quarters.

Hyde botched his 1:1 responsibility in Ridley too. 

I was shocked they didn’t help Elam out more with a safety over top. I was a little more upset with that than I was Elam. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Another coaching blunder. They know Elam is the weakest CB on the roster and continually left him 1on1 with the Jaguars' best WR. 

How many 3rd downs can they complete a pass to Ridley before we start double covering him?

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

That’s expected in my opinion. Hyde is a safety, not a corner, and doesn’t have the speed to keep up with Ridley.

McDermott had benched Elam by that point and went Cover 0.

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

That’s expected in my opinion. Hyde is a safety, not a corner, and doesn’t have the speed to keep up with Ridley.

McDermott had benched Elam by that point and went Cover 0.

I thought I saw him back on the field and that was situational. 

If true, very odd to sit a guy and never provide him safety help for your CB4 on Ridley. 

26 minutes ago, Mango said:

Elam was in position more times than he wasn’t. But he needed to get eyes on the ball. Too often he played the man well without any idea of the pass.

I was shocked they didn’t help Elam out more with a safety over top. I was a little more upset with that than I was Elam. 

That was a reflection of the DL injuries.  McD had to dial it up because Kendall Vickers wasn’t getting home there.  Get home, burn the film, get some sleep, and on to the Giants.  F London that turf travel injuries and move on. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Einstein said:

He was routinely targeted, routinely beat, and routinely frustrated.

Some fans thought he was a healthy scratch in previous games simply because Benford is better.

Yeah, Benford is better… but Elam is also a bad player.

They’re not mutually exclusive. 

There were times he was in the receivers pocket too, and Jackson was the one getting cooked.  

He actually did a lot of good things last season.  He was definitely uneven today.  We'll see if next
week brings more consistency.  He has to play in order to find out.  One game samples mean 

nothing,  whether he played good, bad or meh.  Re-visit what Elam is or isn't in a few weeks.

Emotional posts after a loss like that isn't doing anyone any justice.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

He also seemed to get picked on whenever the bills sent a blitz with six or seven rushers that didn't get home 

4 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Your big takeaway from this game is to pick on Elam covering Ridley? 

I get what you’re saying, but….

Elam gave the game away on consecutive 3rd downs, getting beat purely on route running. One on one, he got beat when the game was on the line. That’s how you get the offense back on the field. That’s how you get more plays and more chances at points. You make a play for the team. Elam is a huge reason for why the Bills lost the game today. Yes, there were other factors, but when it’s one on one, and it’s time to make a play, you HAVE to show up. Especially when you’re a high draft pick, and replacing an All-Pro. 

Losing Milano and Jones is huge. And it changed the way that they schemed the game. Coach said that the rush and the coverage have to work together, and they didn’t. That was clearly directed at Elam. 

6 hours ago, HoofHearted said:

We don’t do a great job of running routes in general, Diggs included at times. Forget leverage - we run routes like they’re drawn on a board. Very little stemming, leaning, jab steps, head fakes, etc.

Do you think this is on coaching, or the players themselves? It feels like too many times Allen is waiting for someone to separate downfield and it never happens, so he just has to check it down or escape the pocket.

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Do you think this is on coaching, or the players themselves? It feels like too many times Allen is waiting for someone to separate downfield and it never happens, so he just has to check it down or escape the pocket.

Receivers need to have tools in order to win on routes just like Defensive Linemen need tools to win in pass rush. I suspect this is why Chad Hall was let go last season.

5 hours ago, Mango said:

lost count of the number of times I screamed “TURN AROUND!!!” today.

• Like (+1) 3

Elam can play pressman and hang with a guy if he gets to use his physicality at the line. It’s like putting a square peg in a round hole. I think he’s thinking too much and not reacting. He’s so worried about fitting in the scheme and not committing penalties he is a shadow of his former self.  A total regression from 2022. Did Elam suddenly forget how to play football?

I liken this to Zach Moss. In Buffalo Moss was the forgotten man. He did better with volume, but rarely did he ever get 10 carries Did Moss suddenly become good, or is he on a team playing to his strengths? Is Moss suddenly better than James Cook? 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Elam can play pressman and hang with a guy if he gets to use his physicality at the line. It’s like putting a square peg in a round hole. I think he’s thinking too much and not reacting. He’s so worried about fitting in the scheme and not committing penalties he is a shadow of his former self.  A total regression from 2022. Did Elam suddenly forget how to play football?

I liken this to Zach Moss. In Buffalo Moss was the forgotten man. He did better with volume, but rarely did he ever get 10 carries Did Moss suddenly become good, or is he on a team playing to his strengths? Is Moss suddenly better than James Cook? 

Like you've already said Elam was a man corner drafted into a largely zone defense.  Moss was a one cut back drafted into a zone run offense that never really ran the ball and never really blocked well either.  Somehow I'm hoping we get a few games where the offense gets us a lead Elam can get out on the field and learn on the field.  Sometimes guys just need to play more.  The scores stay tight he's not going to start ahead of Benford or Jackson.

No surprise at all. Kaiir went from struggling to see the field to probably bring our best corner late last year. Then he’s inactive for 4 games and then put in against the Jags #1 WR. His confidence is probably shot at this point. Jmo.  

Today both CBs sucked. Dane was targeted in the first half a lot and Kaiir in the second. Both were miserable. Dane was the guy active the first 4 weeks, why wasn’t he on Ridley? 

Edited by BananaB

14 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

It was his first game playing this year give him a break. If he continues looking bad next week with no improvement.. then worry.. mind you shocked the Bills didn’t go after JC JAckson.. pats got him for practically nothing. 

This is where I'm at. He's been here all year, he's played in this league before, he's capable of better. He seemed to say the right things after the game, and knows he's not getting it done. Get back to work mentality. 

8 hours ago, Einstein said:

Ridley last week: 2 receptions for 32 yards

Ridley the previous week: 3 receptions for 40 yards

Ridley the previous previous week: 2 receptions for 38 yards

Ridley is a good player but let’s not pretend he is some unstoppable force. I am confident that Tre or Benford would not have allowed the game Ridley had today.

Sure, there may be bigger takeaways. So go post in threads that discuss those. Why hijack a thread talking about one problem to repeatedly say “but there are other problems tooooo”?

Ridley beat 24, 23, 7, and 30. He torched the entire secondary. 

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, cle23 said:

So a top 10 corner for likely a late 1st and a guy who has been inactive most of the season?

Also not for nothing, doesn’t Denver playing mostly man? So you’d be reading for another guy who doesn’t normally play zone 

Dear McBeane, please stop trading up for non-QB picks and burning further resources in the process. There’s always better players that go after that pick and we’re missing out on other potential contributors. Thanks.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Einstein said:

He was routinely targeted, routinely beat, and routinely frustrated.

Some fans thought he was a healthy scratch in previous games simply because Benford is better.

Yeah, Benford is better… but Elam is also a bad player.

They’re not mutually exclusive. 

Yeah, I agree.  Elam was getting torched and having his ankles busted.  Slow to react to route changes.  I don't get it.  He played last season and stuck to people like glue.  He made mistakes sure, but he stuck to them like glue.  Today he was 5 yards off every time a receiver stop for a curl/comeback/whatever.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.