Raiders @ Bills - Postgame Thread

HappyDays

3 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

Tim Hasselbeck just referred to Allen as being reckless today and said that we didn’t run the football so he had to be. Once they write these narratives they just won’t come off them even if other evidence is right in front of them.

Until I read this, I had absolutely no idea that Matt Hasselbeck had a younger brother named Tim who had played in the NFL and is now working for ESPN.  Never heard of him before your post.

Fun Bills Rush Facts from Today:

35 rush attempts, 37 pass attempts

10 1D by rush, 17 1D by pass

183 rush yards

5.2 ypa

Josh Allen 3 attempts for 7 yards rushing

I did think a few of Josh's throws were a bit reckless, but none of them were stupid unlike last week.

5 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

Tim Hasselbeck just referred to Allen as being reckless today and said that we didn’t run the football so he had to be. Once they write these narratives they just won’t come off them even if other evidence is right in front of them.

Was Tim still watching the Jets game?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I think the Bills have already proved the are resilient. The talk was they couldn't win the close games. That got put to rest after last season. 

The Jets game was basically on Allen. A QB can win and lose games. Josh lost it! He bounced back today and I think that's the more realistic version of Allen. He's human and we will not always be sharp. The Bills just need him to be smart. 

I'm not sure how far the Bills advance this season. Hopefully, it's to the SB. One thing I'm not too concerned about is Bills winning "dog fights."

I think all parts of the team stunk week 1.   

-  ST lost the game with the punt return in OT

-  Allen lost the game with the costly fumble and boneheaded INTs

-  Defense lost the game with the big runs and allowing the Jets to score that TD.  

2 hours ago, buffalo2218 said:

This may be the difference between us and the Dolphins. Insanely long drives with a stop or 2 on defense will probably have Tyreek Hill looking like a crack addict on the sideline

Agreed...The raiders had a total of 39 plays on Offense of which 7 came in the last drive...

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, eball said:

LOL at anyone worried about a “disaster” after the Raiders’ first drive. 

Have any of you ever watched a football game before?

I think it was a couple seasons ago against the Giants where Saquon had about 75 rushing yards to open the first drive and then we scored 24 unanswered points or something. Yesterday reminded me of that 

9 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Anyone have the snap counts? The Raiders did a fair amount of running, so I’m curious why Poona Ford and Tim Settle didn’t log a single stat.

PFR says Ford played 13 snaps on D and Settle played 14.  Vegas only ran the ball 15 times, so interior DL tackles were limited to begin with.

After the jet sweep on the opening drive, Raiders gained 21 rushing yards on 14 carries, one of which was Garropolo's 1 yd sack avoidance.

Edited by BearNorth
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The Jets came down to earth this week.  But the Jets defense that we faced Monday played one of the most flawless games I've seen on film. They were beyond juiced even after the injury. Perfect positioning and instincts. And I still thought the offense ran well save for a drunk QB. 

The Raiders aren't GOOD on defense but they are much closer to representing the AVERAGE defense the Bills will see this year than that Jets defense was that night. 

This bodes well for the bills.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

5 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Until I read this, I had absolutely no idea that Matt Hasselbeck had a younger brother named Tim who had played in the NFL and is now working for ESPN.  Never heard of him before your post.

Fun Bills Rush Facts from Today:

35 rush attempts, 37 pass attempts

10 1D by rush, 17 1D by pass

183 rush yards

5.2 ypa

Josh Allen 3 attempts for 7 yards rushing

I did think a few of Josh's throws were a bit reckless, but none of them were stupid unlike last week.

That was entirely Tim's point. He was discussing the difference between reckless and aggressive, and how there isnt much of a difference if/when you want to score, and have the offense built around Allen like we do. Tim showed the Shakir and Davis TDs and how they were throws that go against everything that is typically coached, but Allen can and will pull it off.

He was basically saying it was a good type of reckless this week, that comes after checking it down all day like he is supposed to and the Bills establishing a running game.

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Hot off the presses...

Biggest thing that jumps out to me is Bills had 78 snaps, and Raiders only ~40.

Obvious from watching the game and the Bills straight up owning the 3rd quarter, but still interesting to see.

5 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Wait until you look up who his first NFL team was!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I'm just gonna reiterate, a good run game makes this offense hum!! 

Correctamundo. This is basic football 101.  a successful running game opens the entire offense. And keeps the defense backpedaling with uncertainty as to just what play is coming next. We fanbase have clamored for his for years. AND for the OL that could help make it happen

Rawr James Cook goes OFF gotta love it!!! **Happy dances***

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

That was entirely Tim's point. He was discussing the difference between reckless and aggressive, and how there isnt much of a difference if/when you want to score, and have the offense built around Allen like we do. Tim showed the Shakir and Davis TDs and how they were throws that go against everything that is typically coached, but Allen can and will pull it off.

He was basically saying it was a good type of reckless this week, that comes after checking it down all day like he is supposed to and the Bills establishing a running game.

OK, so if I ever get pulled over for reckless driving, I’ll try the “but it was the good kind of reckless” defense!  😋

• Haha (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Biggest thing that jumps out to me is Bills had 78 snaps, and Raiders only ~40.

Obvious from watching the game and the Bills straight up owning the 3rd quarter, but still interesting to see.

Wait until you look up who his first NFL team was!

Those same plays he calls reckless are considered great if Mahomes threw those same passes

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, 2003Contenders said:

Actually I think the play was designed to go to Harty to the right, and he would have had a walk-in TD. However, he slipped and fell so Josh had to improvise. Not impressed at all with him through the first 2 weeks.

You could be right, I saw Harty fall but not sure what was happening on that end of field so if true then play was actually a good call just poor execution.

3 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

You could be right, I saw Harty fall but not sure what was happening on that end of field so if true then play was actually a good call just poor execution.

I'm not going to drag someone for tripping.  He's going to score some TDs for us this year in the red zone, and i hope we use him down the field at some point.  

1 minute ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I'm not going to drag someone for tripping.  He's going to score some TDs for us this year in the red zone, and i hope we use him down the field at some point.  

I had stated the play call was too slow for area of the field, and that would negate my statement. I have no issue with Harty yet but I do expect him to get better through the year 

I’ve been shouting designed Josh Rollouts—- where his super powers put D into huge bind, indecision mode. Don’t necessarily run JA stupid, but gives him clear look and threat run, sideline pass, cross field pass (few qb can do) The Defense is screwed. 17 can make a call. 

Jets D just too fast, good Game 1 for this

• Like (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Hot off the presses...

I think it is cool that Lawson is getting starter snaps. People were saying he could be a camp casualty, but I really like his game. He sets the edge, and doesn’t over pursue. Maybe someone like Epenesa has a higher ceiling, but Lawson is more consistent.

Also Harty seems like McKenzie except he’s getting paid 5x as much. Kind of waiting to see how he gets involved.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

For as bad as last week felt (honestly we are a year or 2 more of terrible Week 1 games from everyone jokingly referring to Week 1 as 'preseason')... That was possibly the most complete and impressive Bills win I can remember. Obviously you have the perfect game in the playoffs vs New England, some of the other blowouts and all that... This was 38-10 and it wasn't that close.  No huge plays though, no hero ball, Diggs didnt need to have 10 for 150 and 2 TDs, Allen didnt need to rush for 50.

But the presence of James Cook completely changes everything. He has home run potential all the time... and he can catch passes. Everything was just greased because of that and the offense was everything everyone wants. Harris and Murray were the perfect complements to that. 9 Players caught passes, and 5 players had 3+ receptions. Allen was nearly perfect efficiency-wise and didn't need to run. Short, efficient, safe, moved the chains (needed to be a bit better on 3rd down).
Defense kind of had their hands full with Adams early, but clamped down and Jacobs had his worst game.

Hopefully they can keep it up vs Washington, then the real test will be against Miami. Really liked what we saw yesterday (how could you not?). Sustainable and methodical

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Josh needs to learn how to slide.  How about that as a topic to obsess over?

Nope.  Josh has a very neat and professional-looking slide from youth and HS baseball.  He needs to decide he'll use it.  Good Luck With That.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

I think it is cool that Lawson is getting starter snaps. People were saying he could be a camp casualty, but I really like his game. He sets the edge, and doesn’t over pursue. Maybe someone like Epenesa has a higher ceiling, but Lawson is more consistent.

Also Harty seems like McKenzie except he’s getting paid 5x as much. Kind of waiting to see how he gets involved.

One thing we didn’t see any of yesterday was Diggs taking himself off the field after getting tackled.  He also fought for some extra yards.  It showed up in the snap counts.  

I watched this one from the bar with the boys; that’s why ZERO in game comments.

Aside from that Opening RayDuhs Drive, disturbing in its proficiency, we all settled down to watching Championship Josh- not Sugar High! Well, aside from that eedgit attempt to leapfrog at the 3 Yard Line, having zero chance at breaking the plane and not sliding during another near GL scoring drive. Those are gonna get him hurt.

Other than those, extremely proficient and careful drives. Now, you do have to fling up at least 1-2 long balls in certain circumstances to at least keep the D honest.

And are the Bills studying the Fish? While nobody can match Hill’s speed, we might want to design a few of Tua’s quick 1/2 second outs. In fact, Allen having the much stronger arm plus size, should do even better with a few of those.

”We’re on to Washington!” 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Nope.  Josh has a very neat and professional-looking slide from youth and HS baseball.  He needs to decide he'll use it.  Good Luck With That.

Main difference from last week to this week: when Josh felt pressure he kept his eyes UP and slid around instead of dropping his eyes and scrambling right into a sack.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

53 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

I don't disagree with any of this but I'd suggest that the reason that Lawson's snap count was so high was that the Bills called off the dogs midway through the 4th qrtr and as a result Shaq was on the field for the rest of the game at that point.

• Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

Yea the Harty signing is looking like a head scratcher. Maybe they were planning on him being more involved before they drafted Kincaid. 

Is there an out in his contract after this year?

Lazy, and tired. Motto of my life. Drove straight home and did the trip in near record time (620 miles in 8 hrs 50 min, ave of just about 70mph)

Someone give me an update on bullet points from yesterday's game id have missed?

Injuries?

Other info?

Yes I was there but I made it a mission to get home when my wife said I can come straight home if here by 1:30. If not she said she I needed a hotel and wouldn't let me in 🤣.

Edited by boyst
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I love how people always overreact. This game was a non reaction for me.

11 minutes ago, Process said:

Yea the Harty signing is looking like a head scratcher. Maybe they were planning on him being more involved before they drafted Kincaid. 

Is there an out in his contract after this year?

Bills Pro scouting may have missed on this one. I think they saw a guy that could add some YAC on screens and quick passes.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.