Was Allen concussed? Speculation with some circumstantial evidence.

Einstein

With 4:55 remaining in the 3rd quarter, Josh Allen stumbled forward and while on the ground, was hit in the back of the head by a very large and very heavy Quinnen Williams. The video of the hit is in the tweet below.

Circumstantial evidence:

1) In the video, you can see Quinnen Williams land on Allens head area. Once Quinnen rolls away, Allen raises his head for a moment, and then lowers his head back down to the turf (perhaps trying to compose himself) before getting back up. 

2) The very next play, Allen threw an interception into double coverage.

3) Prior to this hit, Allen was 21 of 25, 1 TD, 1 INT (84% passing)

4) After this hit, Allen went 8 of 16, 0 TD, 2 INT, 1 Lost Fumble (50% passing)

Or it could also simply be coincidence. That is also possible.

The video:

Mods/@Simon - If this post is better suited within another thread, please feel free to merge. I just thought it was an interesting topic. 

Edited by Einstein
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4
  • Dislike 2

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

With 4:55 remaining in the 3rd quarter, Josh Allen stumbled forward and while on the ground, was hit in the back of the head by a very large and very heavy Quinnen Williams. The video of the hit is in the tweet below.

Circumstantial evidence:

1) In the video, you can see Quinnen Williams land on Allens head area. Once Quinnen rolls away, Allen raises his head for a moment, and then lowers his head back down to the turf (perhaps trying to compose himself) before getting back up. 

2) The very next play, Allen threw an interception into double coverage.

3) Prior to this hit, Allen was 21 of 25, 1 TD, 1 INT (84% passing)

4) After this hit, Allen went 8 of 16, 0 TD, 2 INT, 1 Lost Fumble (50% passing)

Or it could also simply be coincidence. That is also possible.

The video:

Mods/@Simon - If this post is better suited within another thread, please feel free to merge. I just thought it was an interesting topic. 

Def possible.

also possible he’s trying to draw a late hit flag 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

There was another play after which he looked at the camera and it appeared that he was a little dazed.  I have no idea where it was, I'm guessing in the 1st half, but I thought then that he may have had a mild concussion.  

Either way, if he's not careful, play like he exhibited on Sunday's going to cost the team.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Agreed. That is the most logical explanation.

There is quite a stark contrast pre and post hit though.

Not enough evidence but it certainly would be a valid reason for the play deteriorating by stats tracked. So it cannot be dismissed as not possible.  

It also would be a valid reason to bench Josh for a few plays to have the Bills staff  check him out  to be sure there.  That's we here the players themselves need to be front center when they get dinged a bit. 

24 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

There was also the play when Josh took off up the middle and #11 on the Jest made a shoestring tackle.  Josh face-planted hard.

Actually,this is the play where I thought Josh was concussed. 

you see his head bounce off the turf. He stays down for a sec, then camera shows him with an empty ,expressionless look in his eyes. 

I was surprised he wasn’t pulled out of the game by the nfl observer. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Glad to finally see a thread with video about this. I believe it’s extremely possible, and maybe even likely. I want to say there was one other instance where a similar hit occurred as well. 

The numbers don’t lie, and personally, having a minor concussion is a much more reasonable explanation for his decision making than simply suddenly forgetting how the hell to play the position. 

No way that he or McD would come out and admit this, especially with how everything with Tua went down last year. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, balln said:

Def possible.

also possible he’s trying to draw a late hit flag 

I don’t think the flag theory is possible. Too much risk. 

Any reaction to a hit in the head could trigger a concussion evaluation from the booth.

If Allen was faking for a flag that was his first major risky decision of the night and we didn’t see a concussion. We saw the wheels start to turn for everything else that followed.  

Either way it's bad. He wasn't concussed and he played bad football or he was concussed and no one pulled him out of the game.

The video does offer a possible concussion possibility and, even if he wasn't, he may have still be shaken up for the next play. But at the same time, he's made plays like the three interceptions and fumble when he hasn't hit his head so still needs to learn.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Doubt it. What we saw from him was his status quo. It wasn't inaccuracy or erratic behavior that caused his problems. It was well considered (from his perspective) poor decisions. You can explain each of his turnovers away through his pattern of decision making going back to college.

have you ever liked one Bills player?  

• Haha (+1) 3

It's possible, but unlikely. 

The problem is that Allen has played exactly like this in multiple games over multiple years.

His only diagnosed concussion was 2019 when he got knocked out of the game vs Patriots and was available the next week. 

If his erratic play was from an un-diagnosed concussion it seems likely that he's had multiple un-diagnosed concussions. While I think that's a possibility I think it's a pretty slim chance. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.